Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indecisive Battles of History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indecisive Battles of History
    Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 11:07
Now, after the quite popular thread of "Decisive Battles of History", I'd like to bring up an alternative area of discussion,the indecisive battles of history, about major battles without significant results and winners.Smile

The first example I'd like to give is the Battle of Catalaunian Fields(around today's Chalons), fought in 451, between Western Roman Empire+Visigoths under the command of Aetius against Huns and their Germannic allies under the command of Attila..

In this famous battle in which tens of thousands had died, neither sides had achieved a significant victory.

But it definitely had interesting results..

-Death of Visigoth King,Theodoric
-The crippling of Attila's mounted soldiers
-The heavy casualties of Roman legions,which left Romans defenseless against the future attack of Attila into Italy
-Stopped Attila's advance into Gaul

But still, Attila had enough power to attack and marauded all Northern Italy a year after this catastrophe, only to stop at Rome after a conversation with the Pope.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 11:19
A battle thats tactically indecicive, may well have strategiclly decisive ramifications. Read Kursk. Chalons was also strategically decicive.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 11:30
Originally posted by Sparten

A battle thats tactically indecicive, may well have strategiclly decisive ramifications. Read Kursk. Chalons was also strategically decicive.

Chalons may be strategically decisive as the Romans held the Hun attack into Gaul and forced them backwards,but if we think about the consequences, it left Roman army crippled for the future defense of Northern Italy...So, even though it was strategically decisive, I wouldn't call that a strategical victory.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 11:43
That was a tactical victory for the romans, because break the hun campaign into de Gaul, althought very expensive.

Land battles totally inconclusive are very very rare, we need specially that the two opponents leave the battlefield.

Contrary there are many naval battles inconclusives, at least in a tactical level, with the two fleets advancing, an example: the first three combats of the Armada Invencible campaign, with the english triying to sunk the spanish ships and the spanish triying to take the english fleet, the impass was broken only in Gravelines, where the spanish lost their strategical advantage.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 11:43
A battle can never be "undecisive". There always is somebody who wins, and since there is a winner, it is decisive. The "undecisive" battle, paradoxically talking, should be a battle where all the parts would loose, and in the same time, would retreat before being completely destroyed (the paradoxe is that this would be no batle, just a small clash)
Prej heshtjes...!
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 00:36

The huns didnt have much cavalry at chalons and most of their troops were germanic, the loss of Face or Pride from the defeat did more to damage the allegiences of a Fragile political structure the huns had.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 00:52
Now, if you want a battle where nobody gained anything, then you have Hurtgen Forest in 1944.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 03:09
Trench war in WWI, battle of Somme for example, no winners.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 04:37
Battle of Kadesh?

AFAIK there is no certain winner at that war.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 10:41
Originally posted by Arbr Z

A battle can never be "undecisive". There always is somebody who wins, and since there is a winner, it is decisive. The "undecisive" battle, paradoxically talking, should be a battle where all the parts would loose, and in the same time, would retreat before being completely destroyed (the paradoxe is that this would be no batle, just a small clash)

I suppose that's not the case that have to be in all the battles...
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 10:51
Originally posted by Giannis

Trench war in WWI, battle of Somme for example, no winners.

After it was allover everybody came out as a loser. even  if you had gained some land the price was way to high

so much bloodshad so many young man dead for what imperialismCry

Edited by xi_tujue - 07-Jun-2006 at 11:16
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 12:28
if you got killed in one it wasn't indecisive at all................
Hannibal the Great View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hannibal the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2006 at 21:48
Even though I adore Hannibal, Cannae was'nt a very desicive battle. Though Hannibal won there it never lead to anything. Zama and Metarus were far more decisive.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2006 at 23:50
I agree with Arber Z. In what way a battle can be indecisive? If the attacked and the defender are in a battle. And the battle is a draw, doesnt it mean that it was decisive, for the defender?
Hannibal the Great View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hannibal the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 14:38
Well I think what the original poster meant was that it had no impact on the future of the world. Like I said Cannae though it was masterfully done did'nt lead to a Carthaginean victory in the war, simply a temporary high point.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 22:49
Originally posted by Hannibal the Great

Well I think what the original poster meant was that it had no impact on the future of the world. Like I said Cannae though it was masterfully done did'nt lead to a Carthaginean victory in the war, simply a temporary high point.

Thats definitely an interesting way to think about it and true to a point. But then if you look at from that point, then wouldnt all his victories be indecisive? You could also look at what would of been the effects of if the romans slaughtered Hannibal at Cannae and its possible effects on history.

Battle of Bordino was considered indecissive as a battle. The two sides slugged it out and there was no clear victor. The Russians ended up withdrawing yet the effect of the battle could be considered a Russian victory as Napoleons army was mauled badly.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 00:09
The battle of little big horn to me seemed like the most indecisive battle ever.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 07:14

Cannae is as tactically decisive a battle you are likely to find in the ancient world, it was however strategically indecisive, Hannibal gained ground as a result of Cannae, but nowhere near as much as he needed.

Chalons was undoubtedly a Roman victory, although a narrow one, it was decisive strategically in regard to Attilas campaign into Gaul and tactically to an extent as it seriously depleted the Hunnic core to Attilas army.

By this point the Western Roman empire was already incapable of defending itself without aid, it relied almost entirely upon the foederati to maintain somekind of imperial authority over its remaining territories. So Chalons may well have been expensive, but hardly made the situation worse than it already was for the empire.

Both Cannae and Chalons are decisive, 1 entirely tactically the other almost entirely strategically, funnily enough neither of which in the end did either victor much good.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
pogy366 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pogy366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 14:23
Originally posted by Sparten

Now, if you want a battle where nobody gained anything, then you have Hurtgen Forest in 1944.

... i agree. The only thing that came out of this was a great deal of dead and wounded and even more wasted resources. All for no real purpose.

Edited by pogy366 - 24-Jul-2006 at 14:24

"Better to be a geek than an idiot. "
boomajoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote boomajoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 11:34
Originally posted by mamikon

I agree with Arber Z. In what way a battle can be indecisive? If the
attacked and the defender are in a battle. And the battle is a draw,
doesnt it mean that it was decisive, for the defender?

Not if the defender had damage done to him. Say, Pyrrhus for example. He won, but he lost a lot of guys. What if a similar thing happened to a defender and to an attacker, so that both "lost" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>