Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

post-WW2 Soviet army.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: post-WW2 Soviet army.
    Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 08:32
I have always heard that after the end of WW2 the Red army was the most powerful army and so forth, that it could go even further into Europe. The Red army was victorious and glorified and it was feared by other European forces.

But what i am wondering here is how could it have remained so powerful after WW2. You read about hundreds of thousands of Red army soldiers falling into the advancing Wehrmacht and being surrounded in many sections of the front. Then of course the fierce battles where you get statistics like for every German soldier three to seven Russians fell. The USSR of course had a large population, but when you look at it, it was only about twice the size of Germany (ca 80 million vs 150-160 million), or even if it was slightly bigger, the battles (atleast between 1941.-1942/1943) were with huge Russian losses and twuce the population of the invading army would not be that sufficient to make up the losses.

Could anyone explain silly little me how it could maintain such a powerful status after WW2 as it is looked back on today.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 13:49
Only because of stupidity and cowardice of the west.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 14:11
After the war, the Russian army was chock full of experienced soldiers and officers. The military industry that defeated Hitler didn't go anywhere, it remained and grew in some respects. It was the second greatest in the world. This, in addition to the fact that every other rival, save the United States, was damn near annihilated, combined to make the Soviets the second most powerful nation in the world.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 14:23
But the human losses were just so immense for the Soviets, i can't grasp where they got more and more soldiers, the USSR is big, but still no China. By 1945. the Soviet losses must have been greater than any other Ally. 
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 18:24

Ok, russians using numbers in WW2 is somewhat misconception, proposed by West, here, look,

Axis soldiers lost in the war: 9 millions.

Soviet soldiers lost in the war, in actual combats: 13 million, other 13 million were population, civilians, who were tortured to death in camps.

The astatistics you get are western, sometimes biased, my dad was born in 1946, he saw these armies, he said that if Soviets would go, NOTHING in hell would stop them, US and Britain together would not stop the advance, that's from a person who actually saw all these armies, my granddad fought, he also was saying same thing. And finally germans were saying that there was no army to compare to USSR Red Army. Tanks were best, artilery was best, anti aircraft guns were best, only the aircrafts maybe were not as good as western, but definitely would take by the number.

Some americans entertain the idea of possibility for US going in to war then with USSR, however, they just don't have a CLUE of what they are talking about, usual solders would be scared to go in to war with soviets

And guess what, USSR had 13 million more soldiers in active servise RIGHT AFTER THE WAR, and it was reduced to 7.

UK now actually tries to defend Soviet contribution in to war, saying that we shouldn't forget private Ivan, who defeated the germans, and it is striking how ignorant people in US are about the war.

Soviet Union had more tanks, trucks, people, artillery than Allies and tanks or artillery more than the rest of the world.

It is a big myth that USSR lost much more than germans in battles, it was relative to the time, in the end, soviets were killing more germans per one soviet army soldier.

ok, in the beginning of the war, gemramns killed more russians per german soldier, in the end, it was opposite.

Red army was worked out together, by the end of the war, they all knew what to do perfectly, the command was competent.

And dear Mosquito, west couldn't do ANYTHING to Red Army, if Stalin wanted, ther ewould be NO europe WHATSOEVER, red arly would simply destroy it. Cowardness of the west was rightfull, ther ewas something to be affraid of, US and Britain conventional forces would be WIPED OUT by Red Army in less than a month or two.

LOL, USSR was THE most powerful nation in the world, my friend, THE most powerful, production capabilities were such that one historian said:

"USSR would SINK America with tanks" US production didn't lie near Soviet.

Should US go to war with USSR, it would undoubtly lose on the continent.

You say: US had nukes, but how much? Trueman was yalling, LET"S BOMB THEM, WE HAVE NUKES, but when it was explained to him that should we bomb USSR, and we clearly do not have enough bombs to do serious damage, and do not have perfect way to deliver them (remember, it was aicraft then, which can be intercepted before it reaches target, and not intercepted just by air, but also from ground, which would be completely in soviet control), it was explained to him by Chief of Staff that it is really not the time to f*** around with USSR, and he calmed down.

You are right also saying that there was a lot of experienced soldiers, army was really professional, really worked together, and could destroy any enemy that would dare face them with overwhelming numbers and tremendous firepower.

You wanna know more, read OPERATION UNTHINKABLE. You will understand why US and UK were so afraid of USSR, do research on these tw words.

Edited by Russian - 04-Jun-2006 at 19:36
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 19:01
LOL, USSR was THE most powerful nation in the world, my friend, THE most powerful, production capabilities were such that one historian said:

USSR was only powerful in Europe. The USSR had a poor navy. The Soviet Navy never became more powerful than the US Navy, and they still aren't. Soviets may win out in Europe, but thats as far as they could ever go.

USSR was defintely not the msot poweful country in the world. In order to be able claim that they were, they would have had to been able to invade and conquer the US, which is something that Russia never had the capabilty to do. If you can't defeat your rival, then you clearly aren't the most poweful.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 19:37
"USSR would SINK America with tanks" US production didn't lie near Soviet.

Tanks cant swim Big smile

Edited by mamikon - 04-Jun-2006 at 19:38
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 19:44

Originally posted by Illuminati

LOL, USSR was THE most powerful nation in the world, my friend, THE
most powerful, production capabilities were such that one historian
said:
USSR was only powerful in Europe. The USSR had a poor navy. The Soviet Navy never became more powerful than the US Navy, and they still aren't. Soviets may win out in Europe, but thats as far as they could ever go.USSR was defintely not the msot poweful country in the world. In order to be able claim that they were, they would have had to been able to invade and conquer the US, which is something that Russia never had the capabilty to do. If you can't defeat your rival, then you clearly aren't the most poweful.

LOL, it is different, US could win as far as their continent and sea, that's as far as they could go, you see, you have a little misconception, that US is the center of the world, it is opposite, continent is the center, not americas, so, USSR was in a better position, since it could control this huge land mass and hold it out.

So, US was not the most powerful either from your logic. Remember, it was US that said the plan was UNTHINKABLE.

USSR could defeat any rival on continent.

Ok, let's say this way: USSR had most powerful land army in history.

Then there is no most powerful nation.

Soviets could win in Asia, Europe and maybe Africa, long story short, they could win against anybody on land, even againt any two nations combined.

agree about tanks, lol, they don't swin, but also,

Ships don't ride, lol.

Edited by Russian - 04-Jun-2006 at 19:45
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 22:09
who fell, and who is still standing? :)
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 02:58

Originally posted by mamikon

who fell, and who is still standing? :)

Who fell economically or militarily?

Fell economically.

Was not possible to be attacked militarily.

System didn't work.

Who is rising, who is falling right now?

I seriously suggest that you read the following articles:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/15/opinion/edcarroll.php

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-02/07/content_415840.htm

this one is especially beautiful, rightly states that US is using now the very methods that made SU fall apart, scaring other countries with army, and same fate awaits US, it is about to collapse. If today China demands it's money from US, US economy will collapse tomorrow, and I am not even kidding.

Russia showed the world that it can all be done without US, and all world saw it, after critisizing Russia, making angry face, a lot of threats, when Condy Rise, or Bush meets Putin he or she melts down like snow in spring, understands that they can not anymoe project any pressure on Russia, nor military, nor political, that Russia is doing everything against US's advices, and rises to power very quicly, the world sees, Venesuella sees, China, other countries, in about 10 to 20 years we are gonna say: Bye Bye United States of America, the world will not need it anymore.

Edited by Russian - 05-Jun-2006 at 03:15
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 03:11

Bit off topic, but still an interesting read

Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 03:15

Originally posted by balkanitus

Bit off topic, but still an interesting read

Hey, I am registered there on forums, are you too?

Hey, people, who wants to see one of the most destructive weapons ever created:

SS-18 Satan,

video of it taking of:

http://www.warfare.ru/?linkid=1702&catid=265&video=true

throw weight is 8800 kg, american largest missile Peacekeeper is 4000 kg, one SS-18 is worth twice what american peacekeeper is by throw weight and 3 times by yield. And Russia has just refused to remove all these missiles.

Now tell me that US is dominating the world in military sense or in nuke capabilities.

Edited by Russian - 05-Jun-2006 at 03:19
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 03:26
No, I am not; I sometimes visit the http://www.soviet-empire.com
It is where I found the link

Cheers!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 13:39
In one sense the West always had the advantage over the USSR, just after WW2 and all the way up to 1991. - The conquered nations were never faithful to the reds and were never going to be. You can't imagine the hate people felt after the reds had invaded in 1944. and 1945. Atleast in the Baltics - and i don't think other conquered nations felt any different - people were so anti-Russian mentally. Estonians have probably never hated another nation more than they did the Russians after WW2 all the way up to Kruschev i'd propose. Here the war lasted on after 1945. up to 1953 atleast, in Lithuania the war lasted even in the 60's IIRC. After the war, when the guerilla movement was intense, the Soviets had no control over some certain areas and lost entire villages and parishes to the guerillas for periods of time.

Had the West come somewhere between 1945-1949 let's say, there would have been atleast a hundred thousand man guerilla force (not united of course) in the Baltics alone armed and ready to rise and avenge.

So what i mean is as the reds found no social support in conquered Europe, it would not have been that impossible to kick them out. It is another matter when reaching pre-war Russian soil, but in Eastern-Europe Russia had no support from anyone other than Russians themselves basically. When you can't even trust your rear, you can't guard your front.
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 17:41

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

In one sense the West always had the advantage over the USSR, just
after WW2 and all the way up to 1991. - The conquered nations were
never faithful to the reds and were never going to be. You can't
imagine the hate people felt after the reds had invaded in 1944. and
1945. Atleast in the Baltics - and i don't think other conquered
nations felt any different - people were so anti-Russian mentally.
Estonians have probably never hated another nation more than they did
the Russians after WW2 all the way up to Kruschev i'd propose. Here the
war lasted on after 1945. up to 1953 atleast, in Lithuania the war
lasted even in the 60's IIRC. After the war, when the guerilla movement
was intense, the Soviets had no control over some certain areas and
lost entire villages and parishes to the guerillas for periods of time.

Had the West come somewhere between 1945-1949 let's say, there would
have been atleast a hundred thousand man guerilla force (not united of
course) in the Baltics alone armed and ready to rise and avenge.

So what i mean is as the reds found no social support in conquered
Europe, it would not have been that impossible to kick them out. It is
another matter when reaching pre-war Russian soil, but in
Eastern-Europe Russia had no support from anyone other than Russians
themselves basically. When you can't even trust your rear, you can't
guard your front.

I might agree on Baltics, but other countries were more thankful actually, they werereally thankfull that russians freed them from Nazis.

They would need any support, htey could just kill anyone, and completely devastate the whole cities and kill the population.

Why people in Baltics were so angry, maybe they wqanted to stay under Hitler's rule? Well, I guess USSR did a mistake, a mistake Russia regrets now, mistake of 1944, when SU invaded Germany, I can promise you that had Stalin know how people would say now about SS in Tallin, that SS officers were almost heroes, Stalin would either killed all populations of these countries, or never would invade Germany, he would rather show Germany that they shouldn't invade USSR anymore, and then maybe even help it a bit to wreck havoc on land otehr than USSR, maybe then some countries now would be more thankful about soldiers who died setting them free from german opression.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 18:33
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

I have always heard that after the end of WW2 the Red army was the most powerful army and so forth, that it could go even further into Europe. The Red army was victorious and glorified and it was feared by other European forces.

But what i am wondering here is how could it have remained so powerful after WW2. You read about hundreds of thousands of Red army soldiers falling into the advancing Wehrmacht and being surrounded in many sections of the front. Then of course the fierce battles where you get statistics like for every German soldier three to seven Russians fell. The USSR of course had a large population, but when you look at it, it was only about twice the size of Germany (ca 80 million vs 150-160 million), or even if it was slightly bigger, the battles (atleast between 1941.-1942/1943) were with huge Russian losses and twuce the population of the invading army would not be that sufficient to make up the losses.

Could anyone explain silly little me how it could maintain such a powerful status after WW2 as it is looked back on today.
Where did you get those figures? Not that the  USSR had not superior manpower than the 3'rd RCH but how come that you estimate the Germany of WWIII as being almost equivalent with nowadays Germany?!
And, since you're from one of the former USSR ... assets... you should know better. The "red army" was probably the  world's largest/greatest  force at the end of WWII. After that, well, it's becoming a whole new matter...

Edited by Cezar - 05-Jun-2006 at 18:40
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 13:11
"I might agree on Baltics, but other countries were more thankful actually, they werereally thankfull that russians freed them from Nazis."

I would presume practically all European countries would have resisted Soviet power if the West had attacked. Nobody loved the Reds, atleast if you were a nationalist on some basic level.

"Why people in Baltics were so angry, maybe they wqanted to stay under Hitler's rule?"

This is the basic thing nobody ever knows and ever has in this forum. And Russians understand the least what it means to be a small nation with no allies. We had no loyalty to the Germans nor the Soviets, only the West.

"I can promise you that had Stalin know how people would say now about SS in Tallin, that SS officers were almost heroes, Stalin would either killed all populations of these countries"

SS was a very varied organization, and the Estonians who were on the front under Waffen-SS were no criminals. There were of course the nazi collaborators who worked with the Einzatsgruppe and guarded camps at, but those people never have and never will be honored by the Estonian people. Kill all of the population...? well, whatever man.

"maybe then some countries now would be more thankful about soldiers who died setting them free from german opression."

What liberation? Estonia had declared independence on sept. 20 1944, you invaded a democratic Estonian Republic. Maybe we would have thanked you if you had liberated our lands from the Germans and then went back home, but after you washed us in blood, you were no better than the nazis.

"Where did you get those figures? Not that the  USSR had not superior manpower than the 3'rd RCH but how come that you estimate the Germany of WWIII as being almost equivalent with nowadays Germany?!
And, since you're from one of the former USSR ... assets... you should know better. The "red army" was probably the  world's largest/greatest  force at the end of WWII. After that, well, it's becoming a whole new matter.."

I thought it was equivalent, or quite equivalent, but if not, my bad, i don't have a good long term memory.

Yes, the biggest and the greatest, but as Russian said, they lost 13 million soldiers, thats massive, and Russia got the most damage in WW2 so i was really wondering how it got to its superior power so quick after such a catastrophy.
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 19:47

Well, Estonia couldn't proclaim itelf independent if not SU, right, it would be conquered.

The thing I said about population is to assume that in those times there were less nationalists than now. He wouldn't kill everybody, just would do repressions, he liked them, he alsmot ruined the country with that (USSR).

And by the way, this WEST, especially US and UK politicians were cowards then, they started second front in 1944, when it didn't matter at all anymore, Germany is also west, it basically tried to enslave you.

Edited by Russian - 06-Jun-2006 at 19:47
Giordano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Giordano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 07:29
I'm a new member of the forum but bored to read some repeated posts about some countries,some armies,rocket systems,tanks,warplanes.
I invite you to be objectivity,pls put off your blinkers.Stop your propaganda or what else...Share your knowledge to us,pls...
I've read,watched and searched about WWII.Every war has one or several points what effect final.Also this war has a lot.
Some of these what i remember at the moment:
Mussolini attacked Greece and had perished,Germans saved them and lost their very important time to operation Barbarossa.Later ,German army couldn't reach to Moscow because General winter,believe or not.
Hitler waited for Japanese attack to Russia but they decided to invade Pacific area for logistic reasons.Russian spies reported to Stalin,Japanese never think to attack Russia.Stalin moved most of armies from east front to Moscow by Transsiberian railway and this forces were the most important balance breaker of big russian assault from Moscow front.
German Enigma code broke by UK and they transferred important german
telecomunications to Russia.Russia has the knowledge what time German army attack to save Stalingrad siege and how they try it.Also in Kursk war again Russian have what they need...
USA ,broke Japanese navy and army codes.therefore they won easily in
Midway,killed admiral Yamamoto etc.
Hitler's wrong strategies also be effective in Russian front,he had obsesions about to take big named cities as Stalingrad,Leningrad...
And you can add more like these...
I wrote about mostly German side because some people wrote for one side.I'm no german,neo nazi or similar.
Pls stop to explain tales,myths about your armies,share the knowledges only.To match two tanks musn't be that this tank has antitank rockets,this is the best one!This rocket system has a range 70 km,therefore this is the best one?
Ouch

Edited by Giordano - 07-Jun-2006 at 07:33
Russian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 11:11

Originally posted by Giordano

I'm a new member of the forum but bored to read some repeated posts about some countries,some armies,rocket systems,tanks,warplanes.I invite you to be objectivity,pls put off your blinkers.Stop your propaganda or what else...Share your knowledge to us,pls...I've read,watched and searched about WWII.Every war has one or several points what effect final.Also this war has a lot.Some of these what i remember at the moment:Mussolini attacked Greece and had perished,Germans saved them and lost their very important time to operation Barbarossa.Later ,German army couldn't reach to Moscow because General winter,believe or not.Hitler waited for Japanese attack to Russia but they decided to invade Pacific area for logistic reasons.Russian spies reported to Stalin,Japanese never think to attack Russia.Stalin moved most of armies from east front to Moscow by Transsiberian railway and this forces were the most important balance breaker of big russian assault from Moscow front.German Enigma code broke by UK and they transferred important german telecomunications to Russia.Russia has the knowledge what time German army attack to save Stalingrad siege and how they try it.Also in Kursk war again Russian have what they need...USA ,broke Japanese navy and army codes.therefore they won easily in Midway,killed admiral Yamamoto etc.Hitler's wrong strategies also be effective in Russian front,he had obsesions about to take big named cities as Stalingrad,Leningrad...And you can add more like these...I wrote about mostly German side because some people wrote for one side.I'm no german,neo nazi or similar.Pls stop to explain tales,myths about your armies,share the knowledges only.To match two tanks musn't be that this tank has antitank rockets,this is the best one!This rocket system has a range 70 km,therefore this is the best one?

I am not gonna reply, first rude mistake:

Hitler didn't reach Moscow cause half a Soviet army defended it, that's why, you clearly didn't study WW2 good enough.

Hitler helping Mussolini to attack Greece and stopping assault on Moscow? get a clue, dude, seriously, Hitler was better than that.

UK and US breaking codes means nothing. Soviets knew without any UK help, they have eyes you know, they could see armies massing near the city,

Also, about armament, you don't seem to understand what we were talking about.

I invite you to be objective to and look ONLY at brute facts, known from war, and not the recent Us mad glory grab when they want to divide the victory half by half, although they destroyed only 10-15% of Reicn troops, while SU - 75-80%.

I will share a little bit of knowledge, knowledge that everyone knows: RED ARMY was the most powerful land army in the world history, that is a fact, objective fact, and it is about armies. It is a military history discussion board, so, I guess, we will not be able not to mention armies.

Don't take anything I wrote offensively, but it is hard to be objective here, it is a disscussion board, sometimes we are taling about ethical or political problems, and there is NO, I repeat, NO objectivity there, only opinion.

Edited by Russian - 07-Jun-2006 at 11:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>