Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The History of The Danube Schwabians. -Part 1-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The History of The Danube Schwabians. -Part 1-
    Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 20:24
I have a piece i have started work on. it is not complete, but i was thinking that maybe i could do like a chapter type thing on it. I was also thinking that it could be put into the Magazine, maybe chapter by chapter. please let me know what you think of it so far, and if i should continue to write more. Here it is:

A History of The Danube Schwabians.

The history of the Danube Schwabians, or The Donauschwaben as they are called in German, begins roughly around the mid to late sixteen hundreds, when the Ottoman empire invaded Europe and laid siege to Vienna. Prince Eugene of Savoy was dispatched to Austria to defeat the Turks, and drive them back to their homeland. After the Ottomans were driven from the lands they had once occupied, the ruling family of Austria and much of Europe at the time, the Hapsburgs, called for a large migration of peasants to come and settle the newly acquired land, and to protect it from possible Ottoman attacks. The Hapsburgs offered large incentives for families willing to undertake this great migration: free land, and also tax breaks. Many German citizens took up this offer and left their former homeland to travel down the Danube river, and to cultivate the lands. These citizens included people from Switzerland, Bavaria, Alsace-Lorraine, and The Rhineland-Palatinate, but most came from Schwabia (a Province most closely related today with Baden-Wurtemburg). They settled the Danube Basin, which is now Northern areas of Yugoslavia(Croatia, and Serbia, along with a few areas in Bosnia & Herzigovina, South-Western Hungary, and South-Western Rumania) The Schwabian migrations were in 3 waves:

1. The "Karolinische Ansiedlung," or Caroline colonization, which
occurred from 1718 to 1737;
2. The "Maria Theresianische Ansiedlung," or Maria Theresian
colonization, which occurred from 1744-1772;
3. The "Josephinische Ansiedlung," or Josephine colonization, which
took place under Joseph II from 1782 to 1787.

Of the first wave of immigrants  approximately 15,000 died as a result of Turkish raids, and the bubonic plague. The second wave was successful in rebuilding the settlements, but encountered much toil and hard work. The third wave however was able to transform the land into what was referred to as the bread basket of Europe. The labors of the three waves of immigrants are recorded in the following poem:

Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.
This translates as: The first has death, the second has  need, and the third has bread.

The Donauschwaben people kept their culture, language and traditions alive in this new land by settling with other Germans and forming German schools, and other German organizations so that they would not loose their identity in the land where they had settled.

(editted, included the areas where they settled)

Edited by Achilles - 04-Jun-2006 at 12:35
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 21:15
Of course you should go on Although I'm not quiet sure of what place you're talking about.

M.
I am a free donkey!
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 22:37
My ancestors were connected to these German immigrants.  They were German speaking Catholics that settled around Godolo north of Budapest, and followed the advance of the Austrian Habsburgs when the Turks were driven from Royal Hungary.  These ancestors were followed by immigrants from Hungary to the US about 1905.

Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 22:39
ahhh.i see there was a part i forgot to inlcude there. Embarrassed lol i will fix that.
just so you know i am talking about the regions of south western Hungary, northern Yugoslavia, and southwestern Rumania.also called the Danube Basin.

My Grandparentsand Greatgrandparents lived near Osijeck, Croatia(Esseg in German). Part of my family moved there from Novo Selo, Hungary (Neusatz)

Edited by Achilles - 03-Jun-2006 at 22:45
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Post Reply Post Reply