Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why the Romans would defeat the Han Chine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mico5bei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why the Romans would defeat the Han Chine
    Posted: 31-May-2006 at 09:05
Firstly I would like to say that I know that Rome Vs Han has been discussed before in this forum, however I am new to this forum and this is something which I have been pondering in my mind for some time.

A Roman/Han encounter is something which would have been a great showdown of the times and one which i believe the Romans would have won. The first reason why I believe this is Roman army disipline. The Romans fought as a whole, it was a highly structured organisation that allowed it to dominate all other foes. It was divided into a century, then conhort and so on. Orders could be swiftly issued and swiftly followed allowing the Romans to adapt quickly to any new situation that should arise on the battle front. Although Chinese gave disipline great consideration, they never went as far as the Romans did with it. They didn't have a certain rigid structure such as the Romans did. If you  read the three kingdoms this is very evident, the Chinese armies of those times were very liable to become disorganised  because of a lose of momentum, or simply because they wanted some loot. (i.e In the three kingdoms, one trick comeonly used was to have ur army retreat while leaving horses, armour and such behind so as to disorganise the enemy forces, then striking them.)

For a Roman being a soldier was not just a momentary occupation, but often a long term career. Romans were career soliders, constantly training, constantly on campain. When they were not fighting the Romans would be drilling, marching, practicing to improve themselves on the battle field. The lowest rank of career in confucianist China is a soilder, here i dont mean a Lord(solider) but the average foot-soliders, archers etc who made the bulk of the army. Most likely most were peasents whos first nature was not fighting but farming or some other profession, becoming a solider when the need arised.

Although Romans lacked gunpowder, the Chinese of the Han period had yet to make this into a proficient weapon. Therefore it is likely that gunpowder wouldn't have played such an important role in a battle, as it could be used for scare tactics etc..

Lastly, Romans had more experience. If you look at the acient Han empire you should notice that although it ruled over a vast domain, most of this was occupied by Han Chinese, therefore much easier to rule. Whereas in contrast Roman lands were a vast multitude of different ethnic groups, one of the smallest part being actual Latin peoples from Italy.  Roman managed to conquer an area which has been for thousands of years a bastion of civilization, the mediteraian. This has been witnessed to some of the greatest empires of our time, thoughts and ideas have flowed freely around it too and therefore to conquer such an area would take military power much ahead of its time. The Han dynasty on the other hand didn't expand much out of its ethnically dominated Han territories. It may have fought many a border clash or so on, but the fact is that the Chinese were always the superior force. The Romans progressed from a city state to all conquering empire, whereas the Han Chinese already had this dominating position in their region.

Well these are my reasons, if you disagree pleaase enlighten me, i'd love to discuss it. Also forgive my grammer and spelling, cant be bothered to check it.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 12:01
You give a lot of reasons, but you failed to define what "win" is.

If you mean battles, less advanced enemies have defeated the Romans countless times. So obviously, the Chinese can defeat the Romans.

If you mean wars, it's obvious that both the Romans and Han Chinese failed to expand beyond their natural borders.

Most of the microscopic reasons that people like to discuss here had no relevace in history. Warfare was not centered on experience, nor was it centered on "dicipline." In fact, war is more about money, leaders, and social military efficiency than it is about weapons and dicipline.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 31-May-2006 at 12:03
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 12:25

To be able to TAX a region you have to defeat the native army imperator Invictus.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 12:29
Well, but had the Chinese succumbed... Rome was too far. Just think of the food the army had needed. And the Army had to be large...

Plus, Rome had it's own enemies and couldn't fool around... FIrstly it mgiht have conquered India.
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 14:18

Of course, if there was a war between the two it would be a simple campaign over say Iran.

There would be no million man Chinese army, too from home to supply. The Romans on the other hand are closer to their bases and could have a descent force in the field. But also keep in mind the Chinese sent an expedition of 40,000 men which reached the northern Caspian seas and perhaps even entered Ukraine. SO it is not entirely inconceivable for both armies to have tens of thousands of troops that could fight.

Of course I am not knowledgeable enough about the Han army to give an opinion on who would win. Ive heard about their crossbow technology being 2nd to none and could even pierce a Roman shield.

Anyway, breif war over PersiaNothing more. Both sides would eventually leave the area anyway.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 20:16
These "vs." scenarios have been discussed over and over again. Most of the arguments focus on microscopic elements that miss the big picture that history tells us. This is why:

1. First, when it comes to warfare between states, the matters of importance are finance, leaders, and most importantly - "efficiency," with the latter being how effective the state can project its power in terms of the resources spent. Weapons, and assumed army "dicipline" are byproducts of those three characteristics, and thus are secondary.

2. Weapons and tactics are adaptable as long as the state has sufficient resources and is efficient in using them.

3. People tend to cite military anecdotes while ignoring the big picture. One example is battle evidence, which throughout history is in general very poorly recorded. Even then, you can win all the battles and lose the war. Another example is the assumed "Roman Dicipline." People who keep raving about "Roman Dicipline" may not understand how undiciplined the Roman army was for at least half of Roman history. Furthermore, "dicipline" is a byproduct of efficiency in maintaining troops.

4. Most scenarios are grossly unrealistic and that is why we have this section called "Historical Amusement."

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 31-May-2006 at 20:16
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 22:54
Chinese infantry did fight in group,in formations.Since spring and autumn period the musics and dances were formed so that everyone would move in formation --alot like a western "line" dance

Of course they quality of troops varied.And in  Three kingdoms times there were part time soldiers recruited from peasentry who could be lured with "gifts"

mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mico5bei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 23:42
What I mean by Romans Vs Han is a fantasy scenerio in which both empires would meet each other in sustained combat. I realize that this could never have happened because of the distance between the two empires. I still beilive that at both their heights of power, Rome would have been the victor.

Rome did move beyond its natural borders, that is simply unquestionable. The Han Chinese didn't, theyre controlled areas were populated by Han Chinese.

Of course war is mostly about Money, leadership.. however every group has its good or its bad, both the Han and the Romans had efficient financial capabilities to carry out a sustained war.

When I talk about Romans discipline, I talk about it after the tulis reforms, when the citizen army became a professional one. You can't ignor the fact that the Han Chinese lacked this.

Although this is in essence a ridiculous scenerio and one that is almost impossible to predict seeing the unpredictablity of military warfare. In a struggle with even supplies of money, equally capable leadership, I still belive Romans would still have come out on top for the various reasons ive listed above.

Also I know that Chinese had many fighting formations, such as those created by the great Zhugeliang. But these were more tactical formations than a rigid structure deployed by the Romans.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 00:05
I don't know what you mean by your comment about borders. The Han Empire was larger than the Roman Empire and geographically, had a more far-reaching sphere of influence on "barbarians" than did the Romans. The Han Empire was also more centralized and more economically dominant than the Romans.

The Romans did have a test agaisnt another Empire: the Parthian Empire in Persia. Even against a weakened Parthian Empire, the Romans ultimately failed achieve any lasting victory. The Romans fought sustained wars against the Persian and did not achieve anything in the end.

If the Romans couldn't achieve much permanent success against the Parthians in sustained war, please explain how they could against the Han Empire.

When I talk about Romans discipline, I talk about it after the tulis reforms, when the citizen army became a professional one.

Tuli's reforms?

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 01-Jun-2006 at 00:10
mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mico5bei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 00:27
The Han empire was indeed great, but your forgetting that size doesn't essential matter when the population is all of the same dominent ethnicity, Han Chinese. For example, In modern communist China in order to control Tibet and border regions, they are shipping in huge amounts of Han Chinese to Change the loyalty of the local populous. Now Han Chinese are the dominent, tibetans the minority, therefore they can be assured of a long hold in tibet. Chinas ancient Han empire was basically of one make up. How many ethnic groups resided under Romes boundarys? It is always easier to dominate and control an area which is essential of the same people.

Rome against the Parthians, Rome was verging on civil war at this period, the parthians were a distant foe and one that took a back seat to domestic issues. I would say that they never really had the mindset of actually conquering the Parthians, all out. Caesar was going to campaign against them in revenge for crassus, but he was killed in the senate.

sorry  Marian Reforms.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 01:12
I don't see how your first paragraph is relevant to the discussion on military history, so moving on...

Rome against the Parthians, Rome was verging on civil war at this period, the parthians were a distant foe and one that took a back seat to domestic issues. I would say that they never really had the mindset of actually conquering the Parthians, all out. Caesar was going to campaign against them in revenge for crassus, but he was killed in the senate.

No, first of all, Rome was very serious about taking Parthia. At least 5 Emperors personally went on expeditions against Parthia (this was way after Caesar's time). Septimius Severus' campaign was noted to be especially expensive and almost wasteful of resources, if not for the plunder that he got.

Secondly, the Parthians were the ones in civil war, not the Romans. When the Emperor Trajan invaded Parthia, the Parthian civil conflicts was so bad that the Parthians couldn't even field an army for a pitched battle. Yet, ultimately, Trajan had to withdraw when he ran out of resources, proving that the Romans at the height could not sustain any long term projection of power abroad.

And of course, if the Parthians were a distant foe, then the Han must have been way distant.

sorry  Marian Reforms.

It would also be mistaken to say that Professional armies were better simply by being professional. In fact, as time went by, the Roman army became less and less professional and more reliant on auxillery units. Likewise, the Song Dynasty also used professional armies, but they were less efficient than the semi-professional armies of earlier dynasties.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 01-Jun-2006 at 01:13
mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mico5bei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 02:22
Good points. Obviously your much more versed in history that I am, well thanks for the insite.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 06:38
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

These "vs." scenarios have been discussed over and over again. Most of the arguments focus on microscopic elements that miss the big picture that history tells us. This is why:

1. First, when it comes to warfare between states, the matters of importance are finance, leaders, and most importantly - "efficiency," with the latter being how effective the state can project its power in terms of the resources spent. Weapons, and assumed army "dicipline" are byproducts of those three characteristics, and thus are secondary.

2. Weapons and tactics are adaptable as long as the state has sufficient resources and is efficient in using them.

3. People tend to cite military anecdotes while ignoring the big picture. One example is battle evidence, which throughout history is in general very poorly recorded. Even then, you can win all the battles and lose the war. Another example is the assumed "Roman Dicipline." People who keep raving about "Roman Dicipline" may not understand how undiciplined the Roman army was for at least half of Roman history. Furthermore, "dicipline" is a byproduct of efficiency in maintaining troops.

4. Most scenarios are grossly unrealistic and that is why we have this section called "Historical Amusement."

Yes, a good analogy of the original poster's thesis would be to the Confederacy and the Union. The Union had more gold, more troops, better logistics(railroad). However, the Confederacy had more discipline, better troops, and better leaders. Look who won the war.

Edited by Emperor Barbarossa - 01-Jun-2006 at 10:26

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 19:16
Chines infantry can attack in formation and also use sheild walls.Romans use sheild walls and have strong armour which one is better?
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 03:27
The Han Empire of China consisted of more than ethnic Han Chinese.

Among those within the borders and serving in the military were Wuhuan people who provided excellent cavalry.

You could find fools from both sides who'd mess things up.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 18:17
Why not?
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 17:10

Although Romans lacked gunpowder, the Chinese of the Han period had yet to make this into a proficient weapon. Therefore it is likely that gunpowder wouldn't have played such an important role in a battle, as it could be used for scare tactics etc..

But the Romans did have their own type or form of explosives

If you mean battles, less advanced enemies have defeated the Romans countless times. So obviously, the Chinese can defeat the Romans.

Well look at the numbers buddy that one person put earlier. The Roman suffered some of the lowest losses in comparison to their enemies ever known, only 885,000 killed in 9 centuries, while killing at least 15-25 million enemies.

And the Han never faced an opponent as mighty as Rome or any one like them! Wile the Romans did!

Most of the microscopic reasons that people like to discuss here had no relevace in history. Warfare was not centered on experience, nor was it centered on "dicipline." In fact, war is more about money, leaders, and social military efficiency than it is about weapons and dicipline.

I think you are half wrong With the rite weapons and equipment you can have the rite tactics and strategy, and less losses!

Also I know that Chinese had many fighting formations, such as those created by the great Zhugeliang. But these were more tactical formations than a rigid structure deployed by the Romans.

Well true but, with the rite weapons and equipment you can have the rite tactics and strategy, the tactics and strategy will be more affective as well!   Did the Zhugeliang had big shields, short swords, heavy armor, and throwing missiles ?

Yes, a good analogy of the original poster's thesis would be to the Confederacy and the Union. The Union had more gold, more troops, better logistics(railroad). However, the Confederacy had more discipline, better troops, and better leaders. Look who won the war.

And the Roman Empire had both advantages!!

But it was the repeating guns that made a rely big differents ending the war!

The Han Empire of China consisted of more than ethnic Han Chinese.

True but the Romans were more of a variety

I don't know what you mean by your comment about borders. The Han Empire was larger than the Roman Empire and geographically, had a more far-reaching sphere of influence on "barbarians" than did the Romans.

No Rome did

Edited by Praetorian - 09-Jun-2006 at 17:18
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 05:14
This is getting pathetic again.  We are all projecting who will win and who is superior based on our deep set views and convictions, largely influenced by our backgrounds.

Those who argue for Rome will always say Rome is better, and come up with "evidence" that Rome was invincible.  Not coincidently, this camp is mostly made of those who see the United States as a modern day Rome.

Those who argure for Han will always say Han is as good, if not better, than Rome, and invent "evidence" in support of their assertions.  A more far-eastern background is seen in most forumers in this camp.

In summary, the word battle between Han and Rome in the thread is nothing more than a reflection of national, ethnic, cultural, and personal background.

To bring a football analogy, this is an argument of Pele vs. Maradona.
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Archaon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Archaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 21:59
While all of us talking about establishing war between Rome and Han, our ancestors were trying to establish peace. After Ban Chao succeed his mission in destroying Huns, he sent Gan Ying to Da Qin (Rome) to establish good relation and trade with Rome (unfortunately Gan Ying only arrived at Constantinople and returned back to China). During the 3kingdoms era, Caesar Antonius sent his envoy from Rome and managed to reach China, establishing embassy in Wei Kingdom which was ruled by Cao Rui (Grandson of Cao Cao). The Chinese empire knew that by trading silk directly to Rome without passing the hand of Persia, they can earn more profit. The Roman empire also knew that by buying silk directly from the producer is a lot cheaper rather than buying it from distributor (Persia).
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 11:55
Originally posted by poirot

This is getting pathetic again.  We are all projecting who will win and who is superior based on our deep set views and convictions, largely influenced by our backgrounds.

Those who argue for Rome will always say Rome is better, and come up with "evidence" that Rome was invincible.  Not coincidently, this camp is mostly made of those who see the United States as a modern day Rome.

Those who argure for Han will always say Han is as good, if not better, than Rome, and invent "evidence" in support of their assertions.  A more far-eastern background is seen in most forumers in this camp.

In summary, the word battle between Han and Rome in the thread is nothing more than a reflection of national, ethnic, cultural, and personal background.

To bring a football analogy, this is an argument of Pele vs. Maradona.

ClapClapClap
Got it, of course many debates on here feature the same groups over and over again....
 Post Reply Post Reply