Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wars in former Yugoslavia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wars in former Yugoslavia
    Posted: 26-May-2006 at 05:07
Do you know any objective analysis of the wars that were fought in former Yugoslavia? When I say objective, I mean some that are not linked to either of the sides involved. I've tried finding some but with no luck...
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 10:50
The former Yugoslavia is a region where you more or less have to be involved in some way to even know enough to attempt an analysis. It's not as though there are many scholars born and raised in, say, London, with no Slavic ancestry, who know all the intricate differences between modern Croats and Bosniaks and the emotions associated with them.

Also, it irritates me when people say wars. It was a war, not wars. What happened to Kosovo was the same war that spread to Slovenia was the same war that spread to Croatia, was the same war that spread to Bosnia-Herzegovina, was the same war that almost erupted in Vojvodina, was the same war that almost erupted in the Sandzak, was the same war that finished back in Kosovo.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 08:55
I'm not looking for a historical analysis to causes of the war, just a military analysis, why did the war go this way and not the other, how did the third largest army in Europe get defeated by lightly armed volunteers etc. Only analysis of that in Croatia are political, just the usual "we were in the right and the Serbs were cowards". This is somewhat true, but it's known from history that being right doesn't win you the war. And I don't think one needs to be especially involved to make a good miltary analysis of the war... 
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 10:34
Sorry, I misunderstood. I've read a few military analysis but they all said the same thing yours said. They said we made such significant gains towards the end of the war because, whether they liked it or not, what the Serbs were doing was rotting their brains - we were pushed into a corner and people fighting for survival can always defeat those fighting to exterminate - we were more mobilized - old women, young women, etc... where as Serbs used mainly young men from Bosnia, Serbia, and Montenegro. All kinds of stupid stuff.

I think we won by fluke. Look at Sarajevo, the day after the defense forces launched a surprise attack against the Serbs in West Sarajevo was literally the day before, we later learned, they planned their major attack to split the city in half and exterminate both halves. That chance decision to fight that day saved Sarajevo.

Jajce, same thing. When the Serbs evicted tens of thousands of people once the city was conquered, they went to Travnik - they went EAST to Travnik. The Serbs had ambushes already waiting for them to head southwest towards the Croatian territory (the crowd was 1/2 Bosniak, 1/2 Croat). So little things.

But if I find anything I'll let you know. :)
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 15:15
So, no one can give me anything?
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 02:55
I think this kind of information  will be available at least 10 years later ...
But of course a lot of small packs of information could be found in google.com Wink
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 18:30
Originally posted by Mila

Also, it irritates me when people say wars. It was a war, not wars. What happened to Kosovo was the same war that spread to Slovenia was the same war that spread to Croatia, was the same war that spread to Bosnia-Herzegovina, was the same war that almost erupted in Vojvodina, was the same war that almost erupted in the Sandzak, was the same war that finished back in Kosovo.
This one's for Maljkovic, too:

To suggest that we Serbs are solely to blame is absurd. The arming process ib Bosnia started years before 1992 - and each side did it for their own account. The Croats tried to form an indep. state of Croatia even in 1972 (I think).During and 60's there were frequent terrorist attacks (and murders) on the Yugoslavian embassies (victims were Serbs) by the Croatian ustashas  who also wanted an ind. Croatia.

And now-for something completely different:

Year in Review 2000:obituary
Tudjman,Franjo

''...Tudjman immediately pressed for a homogeneous Croat state, pushing through a new constitution unfavourable to the large ethnic Serb minority. Fueled by Slobodan Milosevic's notions of a Greater Serbia, Serb areas of Eastern and Western Slavonia and the Krajina revolted and were soon occupied by the Yugoslav army. Charges of ethnic cleansing were leveled on both sides. Croatia's international standing was further damaged by Tudjman's long-held view that Bosnia and Herzegovina was an artificial creation that should be divided between Croatia and Serbia. Beginning in 1995 Tudjman reasserted control over the occupied areas in Croatia and established virtual Croatian hegemony over large portions of Bosnia and Herzegovina with majority Croat populations..''. Copyright 1994-2002 Encyclopdia Britannica, Inc.

I think this part is especially interesting:

''Tudjman's long-held view that Bosnia and Herzegovina was an artificial creation that should be divided between Croatia and Serbia.''

As you can see Maljkovicu, the story about the ''righteous Croats and bad Serbs'' is a nice bedtime story.

Edited by Socrates - 06-Sep-2006 at 18:40
"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 06:35
OK, how many times am I gonna have to say that this is not about politics?! This is a WARFARE subforum, not a subforum for political debate. I'm not putting you on report, but stick to the topic forom now on.

Lenon:

It's 2006 now, and the war ended in 1995 so it has been 10 years, and still nothing.
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 07:24
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 19:00
Originally posted by Maljkovic

OK, how many times am I gonna have to say that this is not about politics?! This is a WARFARE subforum, not a subforum for political debate. I'm not putting you on report, but stick to the topic forom now on.

Then why did you wrote that you generally believed that ''Croats  were in the right side and Serbs were cowards?''
"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 04:13
Maybe you should read what I wrote and then say something about it?
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 16:15
Well I said generally, since you said: ''this is somewhat true''...
               Bob Rock
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 03:37
I meant about the high morale among Croat soldiers. I know that is true since I know several veterans.
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 10:31

I know that the Yugoslav National Army was the fifth largest military (in terms of weaponery) in Europe.

Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 12:03
I've recently red something about a private military firm (PMF) called MPRI exclusively composed of former American officiers and soldiers that got highly involved in the training of the Croatian army. Basically the army jumped from a poorly drilled militia to the level of a NATO-type force within weeks. These allowed the Croats to launch the 'operation storm' that gave them back all their territories and half of Bosnia. The Serbs were caugh unprepared and for the first time  (it was in 1993) had major loss.

The involvement this firm MPRI (well known for its contacts with the Pentagon) was quiet problematic as there was supposedly an embargo on all military items and services all over ex-Yugoslavia. Symptomatically, the Bosnian in Dayton refused to sign if MPRI didn't helped them.

Broadly here is how the war went:
1) Slovania then Croatia declare their independance.
2) The Yougoslavian army attacks these two region/countries already recognized by Germany.
3) Victory of the Sloven but the Croat lose half of their country including Dubrovnik and the Serbian minority in Croatia becomes de facto independant.
4) In Bosnia the Bosnain Serbs take over most of the country and besiedge Sarajevo.
5) The international community forces the "Yugoslavian" army to roll back in Serbia.
6) The operation Storm allows the Croat to destroy the Serbian minority in Croatia and to get half of Bosnia back.
7) After endless fight and peace talk the Dayton agreement settle peace.
8) In a second time the Kosovo and Macedonian crisis lead to the bombing of Serbia by NATO's forces.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 21:23
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Broadly here is how the war went:
1) Slovania then Croatia declare their independance.
2) The Yougoslavian army attacks these two region/countries already recognized by Germany.
3) Victory of the Sloven but the Croat lose half of their country including Dubrovnik and the Serbian minority in Croatia becomes de facto independant.
4) In Bosnia the Bosnain Serbs take over most of the country and besiedge Sarajevo.
5) The international community forces the "Yugoslavian" army to roll back in Serbia.
6) The operation Storm allows the Croat to destroy the Serbian minority in Croatia and to get half of Bosnia back.
7) After endless fight and peace talk the Dayton agreement settle peace.
8) In a second time the Kosovo and Macedonian crisis lead to the bombing of Serbia by NATO's forces.

2.)I don't think what happened in Slovenia was war. The yugoslavian army (JNA) was mainly controled by serbian generals who allready acted acording to the plan of creating the great serbia, and the slovenia was never included in that plans . That explains the lack of full military involvment in Slovenia. Slovenian "War" lasted for week or so The JNA never used the full potential of the equipment and personel stationed in that state, and soon retreted to thair bases in Bosnia,Croatia and Serbia.

3.) City of Dubrovnik was never lost. The joint forces of JNA, and serbian radical party militia (cetnici) took the near hills and had placed the blockade. The city itself was under fire from sea and land, but the defenders managed to hold ground and later push back the somewhat dissorganised serbian forces.

Serbian minority forms the "republika srpska krajina", this creation was not independant, the idea was to connect it to the soon to be declared "republika srpska" in Bosnia and so to the Serbia itself. The leadership whas instaled by Milosevic.

5.) JNA was never forced to roll back- no army to force back,no international community to force them. The JNA units in croatia and bosnia soon formed army of republika srpska in Bosnia and amry of republika srbska krajina in Croatia. Some of this forces ware bombed (few tanks) in Bosnia by Nato, no retreat to Serbia ever made.

6.)The operation Strom was not aimed against the serbian minority, it was aimed against the terorist forces who took the part of the croatian teritory, extermineted all non-serbian population and proclamed independance. The operatin Storm was unlike the serbian military operations(Srebrenica?) aimed solo against military targets and the civilian losses ware minimal. After the operatione  some  warcrimes ware commited.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 03:42
Originally posted by Alt Gr

2.)I don't think what happened in Slovenia was war. The yugoslavian army (JNA) was mainly controled by serbian generals who allready acted acording to the plan of creating the great serbia, and the slovenia was never included in that plans . That explains the lack of full military involvment in Slovenia. Slovenian "War" lasted for week or so The JNA never used the full potential of the equipment and personel stationed in that state, and soon retreted to thair bases in Bosnia,Croatia and Serbia.

Maybe but for me tanks firing in the streets is enough to call it a war.

Serbian minority forms the "republika srpska krajina", this creation was not independant, the idea was to connect it to the soon to be declared "republika srpska" in Bosnia and so to the Serbia itself. The leadership whas instaled by Milosevic.

Effectively they were close allies but independant from the Serbs of Bosnia.

5.) JNA was never forced to roll back- no army to force back,no international community to force them. The JNA units in croatia and bosnia soon formed army of republika srpska in Bosnia and amry of republika srbska krajina in Croatia. Some of this forces ware bombed (few tanks) in Bosnia by Nato, no retreat to Serbia ever made.

Well they (JNA) didn't go home  because their nannies were waiting, did they?

6.)The operation Strom was not aimed against the serbian minority, it was aimed against the terorist forces who took the part of the croatian teritory, extermineted all non-serbian population and proclamed independance. The operatin Storm was unlike the serbian military operations(Srebrenica?) aimed solo against military targets and the civilian losses ware minimal. After the operatione  some  warcrimes ware commited.

The International Penal Court doesn't think so... Military operation: yes. Massacre of civilians: ... well... yes.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 07:07
2.)That's what i'm trying to say-no tanks firing in the street, no army on fronts. Slovnia unlike Bosnia and Croatia managed to save the weapons from the warehouses of Teritorial defence, in mid 80 this weapons ware put under the JNA control by act of federal government-but not in Slovnia. After the declaration of independance slovenia had enough weapons to blockade the JNA facilities, and capture border outposts. JNA never realy tried to brake the blockade and attack slovenian TO in a open battle. The goal was to extract as much heavy equipment as posibile for later use.

3.)Republika srpska and republika srpska krajina ware no independant states,only  ocupied teritory contoled by serb minority trying to conect itself to serbin mainland. The RS has a border whit Serbia, but the problem was conecting the RSK (battle of Bihac). Talking about the independance of  states is apsurde. Controled by Milosevic, fighting for the same great Serbia.

5.) What time in history are you talking about? No serbian controled military forces left Croatia or Bosnia from 1991 till 1998 by force of the international communty. The only retreats made ware in 1995 after the operation Storm and later after the peace threaty when serbis in east Slavonia lay thair arms.The Nato forced the serbian army from Kosovo much later. After the 1991 and the first operations in Croatia JNA in that sector changed into the army of RSK, same thing in Bosnia, in Serbia the the JNA changed name and became "Vojska Jugoslavije"- so after at latest 1993  we can no more  talk  about  JNA  in any  sense.
 P.S. I like the  nanny theory, but knowing  the JNA,  the lack of alcohol would hurth them more...

6.) Not the mass murders organised by generals in Zagreb, but a single casses of warcrimes comitted as acts of revange by uncontroled forces. In Penal Court the charges ware made against gen. Gotovina for overuse of artilery and not acting in time to stop looting of some units after the operation. Let's just wait and see will the court find him guilty or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply