Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tatars & caucasus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tatars & caucasus
    Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 14:56
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Thanks for the information. I was just wondering about its similarity with the name 'Turkmen'.
Terekeme is somehow related to the name Turkmen. I read it somewhere but I do not remember where I read it and how it is related to Turkmen
Afsar Beghi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 17:01
Terekeme (its an arabic word)  is the name of a turkish tribe who settled in anatolia . They are a subdivision of the Oguz (west-turks) and are also known as karapapak

Edited by Afsar Beghi - 20-Jun-2006 at 17:08
Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice ko yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen lr kalan sağlar bizimdir!
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 03:41
Well, Tangriberdi, Terekeme also appears in Iranian Texts when then call (not exclusively, but mostly) Turkmens as 'Tarakome'. Anyhow, you know, 'Terekeme' is not valid in Turkmens' tongue.
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 18:18
afsar begi is right
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 10:15

Meskhetian Turks are the former Muslim inhabitants of Meskheti (Georgia), along the border with Turkey. They were deported to Central Asia in 1944 by Josef Stalin and settled within Kazakstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan. Today they are dispersed over a number of other countries of the former Soviet Union. Majority (more than 80%) of Meskhetian Turks are ethnic Turks (Yerli (Turkish-speaking agriculturalists) and Terekeme (Azerbaijani-speaking pastoralists) and Kurds and Hamshenis, minority (about 20%) - descendants of indigenous Georgians who became Muslim in the 17th-18th centuries. Estimated population of Meskhetian Turks is around 300,000. They are known as Ahıska Trkleri (Akhaltsikhe Turks) in Turkey.

so how do i know if i'm terekeme or yerli I think I'm yerli
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 04:58
Tatars...

Tatar is coming from Tata in old chinese which means "Turk".

And "ar-er" additions(means splitted,disbanded).

So it became Tatar.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 10:18
Tatar's origin is still very obscure. Generally the original Tatars (Tartar) were considered to be Mongols tribe. They were said to be killed totally (except females and children), and annexed to the Chengishan Mongols. Chengishan Mongols called themselves Tartar, that's why the people in the Mongol hords were termed generally as Tartars. Qubiley is the one who first used the term Mongol (from Mengwu shiwei) for the Mongols.

Tata in Chinese doesn't mean Turk. For Turks, Chinese used Tujue, Tiele etc. In Chinese, there was Dadan, which might be related.  But in ancient Turkic tribal compositions, we can't (at least I've not found) see this term ot tatar.  

Present day Tatars were Mainly Qipchaq Turks, which came to be known as Toqmaq first.

Bolghar turks (Oghur tribes) were also misnomined as Tatars.

Either make a history or become a history.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 05:14
Originally posted by barbar

Tatar's origin is still very obscure. Generally the original Tatars (Tartar) were considered to be Mongols tribe. They were said to be killed totally (except females and children), and annexed to the Chengishan Mongols. Chengishan Mongols called themselves Tartar, that's why the people in the Mongol hords were termed generally as Tartars. Qubiley is the one who first used the term Mongol (from Mengwu shiwei) for the Mongols.

Tata in Chinese doesn't mean Turk. For Turks, Chinese used Tujue, Tiele etc. In Chinese, there was Dadan, which might be related.  But in ancient Turkic tribal compositions, we can't (at least I've not found) see this term ot tatar.  

Present day Tatars were Mainly Qipchaq Turks, which came to be known as Toqmaq first.

Bolghar turks (Oghur tribes) were also misnomined as Tatars.

I red the information "tata mens Turk" from a book "ağlayanlar"

Mongol Hords?Army was also Turk.

İn ancient Turkish,mongol means "şeven",İt is first used by uighur Khans.But in ghengis time,people call the Turks armies(used by mongols) as tatar.They were schamanist and slaughtered everything mslim(also mslim Turk people).
My grandfather still saying "şeven" for mongols =)

Edited by Urungu Han - 14-Aug-2006 at 05:24
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 10:30
There are many diverse theories on the origins of the 'Tartar'. Latin's called them Tartarus. This name should not be confused with the tribes that rivaled Cengiz Han, who were known as the 'Tatars'. There is some reference (History of Five Dynasties) the Da'dan were related to the Jurchen (Manchurian). They allied with the Sha'to Turks. Perhaps the two later evolved into Tatar.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 17:10
Ata--Atata--Tatar  
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 07:03
Funny =)But your opinion isn't true
Savdogar View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Savdogar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 13:29
barbar, you are totally right.
Tartar speak kipchak-turk like kazakh, kirgiz and others.

they are mixed with Russians, Mongols and early turks.
...i dont need this...
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 09:47
Originally posted by erkut

Ata--Atata--Tatar  

The funniest relation ever made.LOL

Either make a history or become a history.
Toluy View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Toluy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 11:21

So Tartar=\=Tatar?

the former means Dadan in Chinese and the latter means TaTaEr, which rivaled with Genghis khan according to Seko's indication. However I think there must be some mistake because the minorities' ethnic gourp 'Tartar' as the official appellation means TaTaEr in Chinese, contrary to Seko' idea.
I am confused totally.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 11:27
I need to clarify that the western terminalogy was known as Tartars. This term has eventually been borrowed and used for most any steppe dweller synonomous with the Mongols, Turko-Mongols, and Crimean Turks.

The Chinese records show TaTaEr in, pre Cengiz Han's time, were known as Tatars. (I hope I am not mistaken).

In addition, to add to this confusing quest, the Dadan were proto Tatars. Way before Cengiz's time.

Edited by Seko - 22-Aug-2006 at 11:43
Toluy View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Toluy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 12:09
Thank you Seko,
so both TaTaEr and Dadan belong to Tatar in western term which means pre Genghiskhan's time, but Manchurian, which related to Dadan, was after Genghiskhan's time. Why?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 15:03
The Manchurians started out as the ancient Shushen (Korean), then Mohe/Wuji and later became the Jurchens. Tatar were part of an Altaic speaking tribe of the Eastern Gok Turk empire. Easternmost were the Mohe who were not Altaic. More similar to Tungus. Bear with me here cause it gets confusing. The Dadan were part of the Mohe tribes. All part of the Eastern GokTurks. Eventually they went their own way. A group of Sha'to Turks allied with the Dadan. Though the Kultegin inscriptions mention the Tokuz and Otuz Tatars, I have very little information regarding their identity. Either this group itself (doubtful) or the alliance among Sah'to and Dadan later evolved into the Tatars of Cengiz's time. This group assisted the Jurchen in fighting off Mongol tribes until their eventual demise by the Khan's (Temujin) armies during the fight for mastery of Mongolia.

The last bit of information regarding the Turk-Dadan mix is one theorectical possibility. Not much to go on though.   

p.s. - Sometimes groups of peoples in Mongolia such as Temujin's Mongols were described as being part of a Tatar confederacy in the eastern zones before their rebellion, according to David Christian, A History of Russia, Central Asia and Mongolia, Copywright 1998. He also distinguishes between Kerait and Naiman Oghuz as being within the western zones of Mongolia that were not as much Tatar as they were Turkic. To the North were the Merkits.

Edited by Seko - 22-Aug-2006 at 15:28
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 06:17
what about ex tartaro(from hell) the romans called them like that right?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 09:23
Tartaros was described here by Yiannis. It is Greek for the underworld.
    http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=579&PN=1

Edited by Seko - 24-Aug-2006 at 09:24
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 14:01
ex tartaro the mongols were described or called tatars in europe if I'm not wrong they feared them so much that they called them ex tartao from hell so they thought they were demons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>