Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stereotypes of Your Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereotypes of Your Country
    Posted: 19-May-2006 at 09:29
Some people from specific regions or societies of countries are stereotyped in many cultures, such as the Irish in Britain, and the Turks in Iran. There are jokes concerning them which are popular, with exaggeration. Do you have the same sense of humor in your country?

We have jokes about people from specific regions of Turkey. For example Laz people of Northeastern Turkey, are always presented as fools. There is a famuous Laz character, named Temel, his friend Dursun, and more than half of Turkish anectodes are about their funny adventures.....

There are also Bektashi jokes in Turkey. Bektashi people are generally known as tolerant, sensible about religion, and they don't obey many major Sunnite teachings, such as praying everyday, festing in Ramadan or going for Hajj. So they are portrayed in a funny way, as people who don't attend to hard religious teachings, but smart people who make fun of extremists and taunt them.....

People from Kayseri and the surrounding regions (Cappadocia) are known as smart, stingy money lovers, masters or money keeping. People from the southern cities, Adana, Mersin, Antakya, Gaziantep are stereotyped foul mothed and rude. People from the eastern regions are generally portrayed as less educated, ignorant and people of the Aegean region are represented as brave, trustworthy people.

In many Turkish anectodes, Armenians are portrayed as skillful traders. They can make money out of everything. Turkmens are rebellious, and Greeks are friendly. Circassians are tidy, white skinned with coy, beautiful girls. Albanians are known loyal and beautiful.

Edited by Bashibozuk - 19-May-2006 at 09:30
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 09:42
Bosnians - Bosniaks, Bosnian Serbs, and Bosnian Croats - are the subject of most ethnic jokes throughout the former Yugoslavia and extending, in some cases, even farther.

The jokes are traditionally about Bosnian peasants and although Bosniaks were and have largely urbanized (Bosnia traditionally had mainly Muslim cities and a mainly Christian countryside) the characters in the jokes are generally associated with the Bosniak nation.

The most common characters are Mujo, either of several of his friends, and his female companion, Fata. These characters are somewhat different in jokes told by neighbors and jokes told by Bosnians.

Mujo, for example, is typically somewhat clever but without any "street smarts" in Bosnian jokes, but when the character is used in - for example, Serbian or Croatian jokes - he's primitive and very stupid. Fata, the female character, is the opposite. In Bosnian jokes she tends to be a little clueless but when her character is used by other nations she's generally the smartest one in the joke.

For example, a Bosnian joke:

Mujo and Fata are fishing when they catch a golden fish - and the fish says to them: Throw me back, and you can have any wish. So they do, and Mujo wishes he was an Emperor and Fata was his Empress. Nothing happens, so dissapointed they go home as peasants - even worse, peasants without a golden fish. When they wake up the next morning, to their amazement, they are inside a grand castle! They just indulge in every luxury - lying in their giant, comfortable beds while servants feed them grapes and massage their feet. Suddenly a butler bursts through the bedroom door and says, "My God, Ferdinand and Sofia! Hurry or we'll never get to Sarajevo on time!"

And now a Croatian joke:

Why do people think Bosnians are stupid? Because everyone knows Mujo and Fata are stupid and this is what they name their babies.

And now a Serbian joke:

Mujo and Fata, together with a Serbian and Croatian friend, are at the train station waiting when the train pulls up, slows down a little, but doesn't stop! Suddenly Mujo screams: HURRY! and grabs Fata's arm and starts dragging her, she is screaming at him to stop. The Serbian and Croatian friends are running too, everyone trying to make it to the train. Soon the Serbian gives up, and stops. Then the Croatian gives up, and stops. Mujo keeps dragging Fata and running, and they make it! He throws Fata up onto the drain and drags himself up behind her. A group of bystanders at the station look at the Serbian and Croatian men and ask, "How does Mujo and Fata make it and you don't?" And the Serbian man replies, "I don't know. They were only supposed to drop us off at the station."

And now a Slovenian joke:

A Bosnian interviews for a job in Slovenia. Where are you from? asks the employer. From Bosnia! Oh, I know, says the Slovene, you Bosnians are known to be lazy. Oh no, sir, responds the Bosnian, those are the Montenegrins. We Bosnians are stupid!

So that's how it goes. There are jokes against Slovenes, Croats, and Serbs as well but they don't really have universal characters or universal popularity. So, sadly, it's reserved for us.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 09:45

Sure we have neighbourly jokes. Here is a good example, not sure they have it on the "other" side.

A Portuguese and a Spanish are walking in a beach in the border with Algarve. Suddently, the Portuguese trips on something. He picks it up and turns out its a magic lamp. Quickly, the Spanish snatches it from his hands and rubs it. Shortly after, a genie comes out.

"My lord, bla bla bla, make one wish and I will grant it." - the Spanish thinks for a while, they finally, with national pride, asks for the following:
"I wish that Spain is split from all its pesky and inferior neighbours by having a huge wall in its borders."
"Your wish is done" - the genie then turned to the portuguese - "My lord, bla bla bla, make one wish and I will grant it."
The portuguese questioned the genie:
"Tell, just how tall is that wall?"
"Taller than any building in Spain, my Lord."
"And how thick is it?"
"Thicker than the thickest dam in Spain, my Lord."
"Is it impermeable?"
"Not an atom can get through it, my Lord."
"Ok, then here is my wish. Fill it up with water to the top."

The stereotype is obviously that the Spanish need to "see" everything with their hands, are proud and arrogant and not very smart.
Our view of Spanish women is less positive, but that is not quite a stereotype but more of a rude generalization of their historical background: basicly when we say we're going to brothel, it's common to say "Vou s espanholas." (going to see the spanish ladies). 

Edited by Frederick Roger - 19-May-2006 at 10:41
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 13:38

A Stereotype for the US is people think we are all fat. Thats not true! Only 50-60% of the population is.Tongue

Anothers are "we all carry guns", and All Americans are so dumb that we are on the verge of being Brain dead.LOL 

I think those are the big stereotypes about us.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 13:51
Yea we have badmouthing jokes about Russians, or you could call them urban legends of a sort because most come from the 20th century and the occurances happened here.

My grandmother remembers from during and after WW2 from her own experiences.

There was a parish party in a folk house and my grandmother was there. There were separate shelves for shoes and galoshes. The people were gathering and also some Russians came. After the war there were mainly military personell here so mostly only the Red army officers wives went to the party. So, the shoe shelves. My grandmother later saw that the Russians were using the shelves as toilets. The spaces ment for footwear were filled with feces.LOL

The second story is also of the officers wives. After coming to Estonia in 1940, of course seeing the Western fruits left over here after the war went on a high ride and wanted to taste these fruits. The officers wives saw some amazing dresses here, don't know if on store shelves or from some Estonian womans propert who had lost it after the war. So they put them on and went out on town. After a few big eyes of amazement and laughs directed towards them they might have started thinking what the hell was going on.
They were wearing night gowns, and brassieres were placed on them, but they hadn't seen such things before i guess.LOL

Also the use of toilets was something that amazed us when the Russians came in. They stepped on the toilet seat and then crouched.LOL

"In Russian Urals, there is a town called Ufa, there are toilets that make fecis dirty." my grandfather

Kulturnation indeed, no wonder we got to call them barbarians on more accounts than just murder and death they caused. But then again, there a re two sides to a nation, but they hid the civilised part of it too often.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:18
In Britain we have tons of sterotypes.
The ones about the Irish involve Sheep, drunkeness, storytelling and thats it, in fact its generally the Irish lampooning themselves (see "Father Ted", bloody hilarious).
The Welsh are infamous for sheep molestation- "What do you call a sheep tied to a lampost in Wales?", "A brothel". Also for being surly gits (true, walk into an old Welsh pub speaking English and they stop speaking English and switch to Welsh)
The Cornish are famous as the Californians of Britain, namely lazy/wild with a love of the sea. Also a joke about Falmouth there, "What do you call a 16 year old in Falmouth without a pram?", "A lesbian".
Londoners are sterotyped as slick and money grabbing while Cockneys are a mix of salt of the earth and thieving rogues (with a charming smile though).
Theres many, many more but I dont have 2 hours so I'll restrain myself.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 15:56
My father is pretty stereotypical. This is what he says about some of the countries in Europe

England-Tea suckers
Ireland-Beer sucker suckers
Spain-Too much pride, arrogance
Italy-Food is the best, cant compare it to anything else
France-Eat snails, never shower, wear silly caps
Netherlands-Country for pot-heads

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 19-May-2006 at 16:01
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 16:31
I think many foreigners dont understand how many regional differences in the US there are.  We are the fattest nation but where I live I see less fat people than I have in other countries...then I go visit family in North Carolina and I see fat people EVERYWHERE!

Anyway here are the regional steretoypes I am fond of (and generally have found to be at least somewhat, if not totally, true).

New Englanders are anal and cant drive (especially in Boston) or talk (paaaahhhk the cahhhhh in hhaaaaaahvaaahd yaaaahd)

People in Oregon set fire to SUVs and joing Greenpeace

Southerners are fat, stupid, lazy and inbred

New Yorkers worship themselves, and talk and act like the Fonz

Jersey is dirty and theres alot of hair spray

Midwesterners, like the places they live in, are boring and grow corn for fun (and play bizarre card games with german names).

Californians are hedonistic and stupid versions of east coast people in general though less neurotic

and of course my area, and this stereotype is true for me too, cheese steak quaffing pretzel munching dead fetus staring (mutter museum) benjamin franklin worshipper.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 11:19
In Greece there are a lot of jokes about Pontian-Greeks and especially about their alleged stupidity. Of course this is not true but it has fun amongst Greeks.

There is a kind of "animosity" between the Athenians and Salonicans (Macedonians in general). Here in Athens we say jokes about the dialect they speak (especially some words that people from Salonica don't pronounce like we do). We often say jokes about the dialect of the Cretans.

Edited by dorian - 20-May-2006 at 11:44
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
bleda View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote bleda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 11:35
Originally posted by dorian

In Greece there are a lot of jokes about Pontian-Greeks and especially about their alleged stupidity. Of course this is not true but it has fun amongst Greeks.

There is a kind of "animosity" between the Athenians andSalonicans and Macedonians in general. Here in Athens wesay jokesabout the dialect they speak (especially some words that people from Salonica don't pronounce like we do). We often say jokes about the dialect of the Cretans.

pontian greek?aahhhh we have same jokes about living trabzon area turks and laz

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 15:01

Tobodai-  I didn't know you were a Philly guy.Star
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 20:31
Also in Peru, they have stero-types towards Ecuadorians. They use to fight over a "drink of wine" called Pisco to say who created it. THat said, they call each other many names. My parents always say that all Ecuadorians are small tiny people. ANd that they are "monos" meaning in Spanish they are monkeys!!
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 22:15
New Englanders are anal and cant drive (especially in Boston) or talk (paaaahhhk the cahhhhh in hhaaaaaahvaaahd yaaaahd)
Oh you make me feel like a proud New Englander!Tongue 
And it's only the Bostonians that talk that way! Or atleast around the area.

Edited by SearchAndDestroy - 21-May-2006 at 11:11
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 08:23
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

We have jokes about people from specific regions of Turkey. For example Laz people of Northeastern Turkey, are always presented as fools. There is a famuous Laz character, named Temel, his friend Dursun, and more than half of Turkish anectodes are about their funny adventures.....

Smile In Greece most of anecdotes are about Pontian Greeks !
They used to live in quiet the same area (Pontos),and they are presented in the same waySmile
But the 2 friends are "Yiorikas" and "Kostikas" (George and Constantine in Pontian dialect)

and Greeks are friendly.

really? i dont want to think how would be history if they were thought unfriendly Tongue (ok ok, lets dont start a flame war againSmile)

Nice post anyway.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 08:32
Azaris - Dim
Lors - Rednecks
Tehranis - Sissies
Ghazvinis - Perverted
Rashtis - Dim
Esfahanis - Greedy, stingey
Akhonds - All of the above LOL
Kermanahahis - they are too scared to make any jokes about us cuz we are all Pahlavans. Big smile
Kurds in general - jangi (warlike) and brave

Edited by Zagros - 21-May-2006 at 08:35
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 12:08
They used to live in quiet the same area (Pontos),and they are presented in the same waySmile

So we agree on a common point here, that historically, people of Northeastern Anatolia doesn't seem to be so intelligent according to many, as every joke has a point of reality inside it (no offense to our Laz brothers here, I'm not offended by Bektashi jokes either)...LOL

i dont want to think how would be history if they were thought unfriendly

Actually I wonder how we are portrayed in Greek jokes, but I am afraid it won't sound friendly for us...Ouch
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 13:14

So we agree on a common point here, that historically, people of Northeastern Anatolia doesn't seem to be so intelligent according to many, as every joke has a point of reality inside it (no offense to our Laz brothers here, I'm not offended by Bektashi jokes either)...LOL

Dear Bashibozuk, it's actually vice versa.People from Blacksea region are quite intelligent that most people don't understand what are they doing or thinking.You should also think the time factor.From 12 am to 12 pm time zone they will work harder and do things better than the most people.Rest of the day you'll notice that they are like other ordinary people Big smile
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 16:20
Hey digenis i want to ask something about pontian Greeks about how they tell a joke. Do they tell jokes that if you lissing you think they are telling a true happend story, i mean they tell it dead-sirious but on the end they start laughing :D Our people from pontian, black sea region do exact that way :)

Also are they considered brave, men of their words also under Greeks? as it is by Turks

Edited by DayI - 21-May-2006 at 16:21
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 18:13

Actually I wonder how we are portrayed in Greek jokes, but I am afraid it won't sound friendly for us...Ouch

In Greece although there are many jokes about the stupidity of Pontian Greeks it is acceptable that Pontians aren't idiots, on the contrary they are very smart people. So, we don't know where this story started from.

Actually, there aren't jokes about the Turks. So, Bashibozuk don't worry LOL
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 18:30
Yes, I made it SO hard to figure out.

And you?

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>