Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGender equality and the problem with musl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gender equality and the problem with musl
    Posted: 16-May-2006 at 14:48
Originally posted by Northman

I find it disturbing that Maziars thread about Gender Equality was closed.If we cannot discuss this with open minds and in the same good spirit as Maziar explicitly started his thread, then we cannot discuss anything of importance going on presently - but must refrain to old well documented subjects. (which also can be very interesting).In my opinion it could have been "moderated" or directed to a very important discussion on the subject - but it was closed.This is the category "Women's history" - and if oppression of women cannot be discussed, I think we should close the category as a whole. Mila - and other females on AE - do you really want this subject to be neglected in "Womes History"?I'm sorry, but I dont see Maziar having any hidden agenda on the issue. He just mentioned muslim women, which are oppressed like many others - but apparently its a tender issue to muslims as soon as said religion is mentioned in this context.

Yes I agree - women are oppressed in other cultures as well, but closing a thread because the muslim world is mentioned, would qualify almost every thread on AE where a specific religion is mentioned to be closed. We should be able to discuss it - but following the excellent advice given by Pegasusdi:

yes, there is a problem in terms of interpretation of Islam and the status of women BUT on the other hand i really don't like the generalization of 'muslim women'. I think it is important to highlight the differences between societal, cultural and political conditions within what has been referred as 'muslim world'.

Azimut - for the sake of a non biased AE - please allow me to encourage you to open another thread with the words of Pegasusdi as opening statement "To highlight the differences between societal, cultural and political conditions causing oppression of women" - or something like that.

Thank you!

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12