Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/Kaffirs are better human beings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/Kaffirs are better human beings
    Posted: 23-May-2006 at 15:21
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by El Pollo Loco

We have presented our "case" which is the bible, and you must refute that. Until you have proved that wrong, or us right.

"God exists because that's said in the bible. Therefore it must be true, because the bible says the bible is true" That's circular reasoning, that's not evidence. In order to accept the bible as evidence you already have to be christian.

I agree with you Mixcoatl. Saying that I have to disprove something that still has to be proven is ludicrous. Christians always say the Bible is true because it says it is. Heck, why don't I write a book that says the same thing, using Christian logic, everybody would believe it.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 03:24
Well, I hate to be preachy, so I won't be. I'll only say this:
Please guys, stop grouping the Qu'ran and the bible together. I recently began to read the bible and there is a huge difference in the quality of the writing and in the information contained.

EDIT: (the bible was the poorer I mean. And I don't mean information such as theology, I mean as in law and science and stuff)

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 24-May-2006 at 03:26
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 04:48
Neither bible nor Quran inclued any scientific aspects. Both say they are the only book to God's way for a better life, and both are misleading people, and both are misogynous. So there is no difference.

Edited by Maziar - 24-May-2006 at 04:50
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 07:07
Would you care to prove that statement.
I think that both the Qu'ran and the Bibles moral codes would lead to a better life. Most in fact are accepted by all people even if they don't adhere to either faith.
The Qu'ran is completely consistant with our current level of scientific understanding as well.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 22:23
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The Qu'ran is completely consistant with our current level of scientific understanding as well.

all except the part about god being real. I'm still waiting to se the scientific evidence on that one. Neither the bible or Quran provide any. While I totally agree with you that the Quran is more compatible with mdoern science, it still fails to prove god's existence.

The Bible and the Quran are the same thing in other categories. They both set out moral codes and ways to live your life, while claiming to be the word of god. yet, they offer no proof that they are actually the word of god.

Edited by Illuminati - 25-May-2006 at 07:59
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 17:29

Would you care to prove that statement.
I think that both the Qu'ran and the Bibles moral codes would lead to a better life. Most in fact are accepted by all people even if they don't adhere to either faith.

What you can see with your own eyes needs no prove. Btw could you prove that Quran is God's word?
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 22:38

Oh come on, the Bible teaches hardly any morals. "Do not kill, but you can kill pagans" "Kill all nonbelievers" "You are God's chosen people" "All non-Christians will go to an eternal punishment". All of these are by no means moral.

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 06:13
Originally posted by Maziar

Btw could you prove that Quran is God's word?

Yes I could. Would it make a difference but? I doubt it. People have generally already made up their minds on religion and don't change it under any evidence.
Originally posted by Babarossa

Oh come on, the Bible teaches hardly any morals. "Do not kill, but you can kill pagans" "Kill all nonbelievers" "You are God's chosen people" "All non-Christians will go to an eternal punishment". All of these are by no means moral.

I don't like picking on other religions but you may have a point. I have recently met some fundamentalist Chrisitians who told me that they believe that being good or bad is irrelevent its believing Jesus got nailed to a cross that'll get you to heaven.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 09:02
I just read through this thread, and I wont advocate to any stance, however, I do have a few questions.

What is the difference between discussing and and arguing?
(I prefer to discuss - or rather - refuse to argue)

In questions of "faith" - can things be "proved"?

Wouldnt it be clearer when mentioning the Bible in referrence to Christianity, if it was pointed out whether the reference was to the OT or the NT?
I mean because most Christians adhere to the NT, almost in the same way as a "New Constitution" on certain issues - not necessarily ditching everything in the OT

Omar, I not so fortunate to own the Qu'ran, so I would appreciate a few quotes from it, in respect to "consistant with our current level of scientific understanding". Could you do this please? 
Or if you prefer to elaborate instead - that would be fine too.

Thank you

Edited by Northman - 27-May-2006 at 12:46
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 13:05

Originally posted by Maziar

Btw could you prove that Quran is God's word?

Yes I could. Would it make a difference but? I doubt it. People have generally already made up their minds on religion and don't change it under any evidence.

I don't like picking on other religions but you may have a point. I have recently met some fundamentalist Chrisitians who told me that they believe that being good or bad is irrelevent its believing Jesus got nailed to a cross that'll get you to heaven.

Yes, many fundamentalist Christians will say things similar to that.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 13:21

....  so much for me not making a stance Smile

Yes Babarossa - you are almost right, if you ignore the Christian part of the bible, the NT, and you really shouldnt ignore it when you refer to Christianity.
The OT has only very little consequence to Christian behavior.

On a second note...
May I compliment you for excellent posts - together with Dampier, you're doing the young group of AE great honour.

You are not picking Omar - but those guys left you out in the field with only half a truth.

Its not OK to sin as a Christian - to disobey the teachings of Christ (NT).
But as Christian, you CAN be forgiven - if more criteria is met - and the most important (but not only) of these criteria, is to believe that Christ died on the cross to take all sins upon him - to make it possible for Christians to be forgiven - releaved from sin.

You can lecture them next time about this on my behalf Big smile

Edited by Northman - 27-May-2006 at 13:24
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 15:02
Originally posted by Northman

....  so much for me not making a stance Smile

Yes Babarossa - you are almost right, if you ignore the Christian part of the bible, the NT, and you really shouldnt ignore it when you refer to Christianity.
The OT has only very little consequence to Christian behavior.

On a second note...
May I compliment you for excellent posts - together with Dampier, you're doing the young group of AE great honour.

You are not picking Omar - but those guys left you out in the field with only half a truth.

But as Christian, you CAN be forgiven - if more criteria is met - and the most important (but not only) of these criteria, is to believe that Christ died on the cross to take all sins upon him - to make it possible for Christians to be forgiven - releaved from sin.

You can lecture them next time about this on my behalf Big smile

I was strictly talking out of the Old Testament. The Old and New Testaments clearly contradict each other. I was raised a Catholic, and had to learn about the Bible to get confirmed (I am now an agnostic), I remember some of the dumbest things being said. That it was just for an athiest who saved hundreds of lives to go to hell but for a horrible Christian who tortured little children his whole life and repented two seconds before his death to go to heaven.
I can't say that all non-religious are better people, but it seems that non-religious are nicer. The Muslims have the extremists, same as the Christians. However, you will rarely see an athiest that takes thousands of dollars from old people, or who goes and suicide bombs a building, killing a hundred people.

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 15:08

"What is Truth?" Pontius Pilatus asked Jesus. Indeed, what is the Truth. Maybe you Can't handle the Truth? Is it Faith? You see, Religions have nothing to do with reality. They have invented their own reality. Look closely and you will see they're set up like Pyramid Schemes. They direct their clever Marketing towards the Ignorant. This is a Horrific Trajedy, because so much Human Life has been wasted over Religion throughout History that it really is Ridiculous!

There are only Two Truths:

1. We don't know.
2. The Sun.

ALL life on this Planet is Sustained by the Sun. If the Sun failed to shine, eventually ALL Life on Earth would cease to Exist.

Think about it.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 15:44
Barbarossa...
I was strictly talking out of the Old Testament.

Oh, I see - so you were referring to Judaism - not Christianity.
With a past like you describe, you must be well aware of the difference.

Of course OT and NT contradicts - the latter replaces the first on many accounts.

You answer makes me think that you think I want to change your opinion. Not at all - I just wanted to get the references OT (Judaism) / NT (Christianity) straightened out. 
I hope you can see that. Smile

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 18:51
Originally posted by Gargoyle

They have invented their own reality. Look closely and you will see they're set up like Pyramid Schemes. They direct their clever Marketing towards the Ignorant.

I've had just about enough of oversimplifications, blanket generalizations, and baseless accusations of ignorance. Read over the writings of some of the theologians of the past two millenia, and when you feel you are of their intellectual calibre, you may continue your slanders. You may think whatever you like about the validity of any doctrine you wish, but don't let your refusal to embrace it blind you to the intelligence of those who do.

There are only Two Truths:

1. We don't know.
2. The Sun.

ALL life on this Planet is Sustained by the Sun. If the Sun failed to shine, eventually ALL Life on Earth would cease to Exist.

First, if you had read through the writings of the Fathers, you would realize that on point 1 (we don't know) you and they are in partial accord. There are certain things that we will never know, for they are seperated from us in being, and are thus incomprehensible.

Second, if you assert that the Sun is one of your "only Two Truths," seemingly implying that it gains this status by virtue of its ability to sustain life, I ask you this: What of the air, which sustains us by providing a medium for our respiration? What of the water that provides us with a means of hydration? What of the plants and the animals that provide us with food, labor, shelter, warmth, oxygen, and, consequently, life. Of course the Sun is a truth, as it sustains our life. Still, by trying to take a single piece of creation outside of the rest of the created order, you have allowed yourself to posit a system that is as invented as you believe religious doctrine is.

And if you meant that the Sun--as the sustainer of much, although not all of the rest of the created order--is a principle, I ask you this: What of gravity, which enables the Universe to function? What of our atmosphere, which enables us to utilize the Sun? Most importantly, what of the First Principle, from which all others must necessarily derive their existence? All you have succeeded in doing is replacing an intensely examined doctrine, with a poorly reasoned system of your own invention.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 27-May-2006 at 19:01
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 20:22

I think its how loud your talking or perhaps if you actually listen to the other person.

I think so, at least as well as some proofs for mathematical theorms I've done
Omar, I not so fortunate to own the Qu'ran, so I would appreciate a few quotes from it, in respect to "consistant with our current level of scientific understanding". Could you do this please?

This is a good essay on the topic:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/scislam.html
You are not picking Omar - but those guys left you out in the field with only half a truth.

But as Christian, you CAN be forgiven - if more criteria is met - and the most important (but not only) of these criteria, is to believe that Christ died on the cross to take all sins upon him - to make it possible for Christians to be forgiven - releaved from sin.

You can lecture them next time about this on my behalf Big smile

Ah, Ok. This was my previous understanding before I talked to these guys.
Originally posted by Barbarrossa

I remember some of the dumbest things being said. That it was just for an athiest who saved hundreds of lives to go to hell but for a horrible Christian who tortured little children his whole life and repented two seconds before his death to go to heaven.

Totally agree.
I can't say that all non-religious are better people, but it seems that non-religious are nicer.The Muslims have the extremists, same as the Christians.

This is entirely dependent on who you know. Better to say every group has its extremist (including atheists) and they are not nice. To condemn billions of people as 'not nice' I'm sure is not what you meant.
However, you will rarely see an athiest that takes thousands of dollars from old people,

Like Kerry Packer for example. Although millions would be a better number.

You see, Religions have nothing to do with reality. They have invented their own reality. Look closely and you will see they're set up like Pyramid Schemes. They direct their clever Marketing towards the Ignorant.

Ah well then, Islam is not a religion.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 22:07

Barbarossa...
I was strictly talking out of the Old Testament.

Oh, I see - so you were referring to Judaism - not Christianity.
With a past like you describe, you must be well aware of the difference.

Of course OT and NT contradicts - the latter replaces the first on many accounts.

You answer makes me think that you think I want to change your opinion. Not at all - I just wanted to get the references OT (Judaism) / NT (Christianity) straightened out. 
I hope you can see that. Smile

I was also clearing that out in my other post.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 22:10

I think its how loud your talking or perhaps if you actually listen to the other person.

I think so, at least as well as some proofs for mathematical theorms I've done

This is a good essay on the topic:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/scislam.html
You are not picking Omar - but those guys left you out in the field with only half a truth.

But as Christian, you CAN be forgiven - if more criteria is met - and the most important (but not only) of these criteria, is to believe that Christ died on the cross to take all sins upon him - to make it possible for Christians to be forgiven - releaved from sin.

You can lecture them next time about this on my behalf Big smile

Ah, Ok. This was my previous understanding before I talked to these guys.
Originally posted by Barbarrossa

I remember some of the dumbest things being said. That it was just for an athiest who saved hundreds of lives to go to hell but for a horrible Christian who tortured little children his whole life and repented two seconds before his death to go to heaven.

Totally agree.
I can't say that all non-religious are better people, but it seems that non-religious are nicer.The Muslims have the extremists, same as the Christians.

This is entirely dependent on who you know. Better to say every group has its extremist (including atheists) and they are not nice. To condemn billions of people as 'not nice' I'm sure is not what you meant.
However, you will rarely see an athiest that takes thousands of dollars from old people,

Like Kerry Packer for example. Although millions would be a better number.

You see, Religions have nothing to do with reality. They have invented their own reality. Look closely and you will see they're set up like Pyramid Schemes. They direct their clever Marketing towards the Ignorant.

Ah well then, Islam is not a religion.

"This is entirely dependent on who you know. Better to say every group has its extremist (including atheists) and they are not nice. To condemn billions of people as 'not nice' I'm sure is not what you meant."

What I meant to put was extremists. However, some things are in a religions scriptures that are not followed.

"Like Kerry Packer for example. Although millions would be a better number."

Well, what I mean is, the ratio of televangelist to athiest stealing money is nowhere close to the ratio of athiest to Christian.

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 23:30

Well, what I mean is, the ratio of televangelist to athiest stealing money is nowhere close to the ratio of athiest to Christian.

I've had no experience of televangelists.

btw do you know you can type [*quote] and [/*quote] to do a small quote. Instead of having to the ""? (Without the stars, I just put that there so you would see it)

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 27-May-2006 at 23:31
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 08:17
Televangelists are evangelists on television. Hence, television + evangelist = televangelist.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>