Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are Lebanese Arabs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Merkin View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Merkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Lebanese Arabs
    Posted: 02-May-2006 at 05:01

Hi boys,

I'm a Lebanese American woman of Maronite stock. My great grandfather, who was born about 1890 always referred to himself as a Syrian, though my grandmother said her father was from the Lebanese province or Hardeen, if that's how it's spelled. From him my grandmother and her brothers learned to understand, but not speak, a language she assumed was Arabic, but lately on the net I've been reading that the majority of Lebanese aren't Arabs, but Canaanites. Now, I knew about the Phoenicians, but I assumed they went that they went the way of all flesh long ago and had been supplanted by the Arabs, who dominate everywhere from Morocco to Iraq. I know the Biblical Canaanites were the original, um, earlier, inhabitants of the eastern Mediterranean coast and that the Hebrews never quite managed to exterminate them as their Lord commanded, but how is it that they (we) survive to the present day. Obviously the Canaanites are close cousins to other Middle Eastern people, and have intermarried and intermingled their blood to some extent, but please tell me if you know more, or can direct me to a good site.

Thanks,

Merkin

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 05:24

as far as i know the hebrew did not replace the original inhabitants of plaestine and lebanon, the hebrew own the war at ain jalut and the rest of the cananet population kept living there and by time they became christians then became muslims after the islamic conquests,

the arab thing happened later when one of the Umayyads Caliph made arabic as the official languge of the Caliphate.

so basicly most of the non-arab became arabised more than 1000 years ago.

in some places in syria people kept speaking their original language which is Aramaic. a sister language of Arabic and hebrew.

other languges iam not sure if they are still there or not.

i dont remember we had any topic about Canaanites.

but the below thread is about arabic language becomming official language of the empire.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10931&am p;PN=1

and this one is about ancient Arabs and their distributiion before islam.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11251&am p;PN=1

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 06:35
I spoke to a french lebanese maronite, and he didnt consider himself arab but phoenicain, which is a type of canaanite (i think). Language wise its was all shades of semetic; armaic or syriac . Talking to muslim lebanese, they are arab and nothing else. My impressions is that islam was a great force in arabising (if thats a word) that part of the M/E. 
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 06:51

well yea the ones who did not convert and kept their religion were allowed to speak it in their churches, while the ones who decided to convert didnt see a reason why keeping their languages.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 15:48
Racially Lebanies are not Arabs they are decendents of the Phonecians who are believed to be of Semetic origion
 Post Reply Post Reply