Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mongolian Wrestling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mongolian Wrestling
    Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 11:47

This thread is about Mongolian Wrestling.

Wrestling is the most national and popular of all Mongol sports. It is the highlight of the Three Manly Games. Historians claim that Mongol-style wrestling originated some seven thousand years ago. Hundreds of wrestlers from different cities and aimags of the country take part in the national wrestling competition. There are no weight categories or age limits. Each wrestler has his own attendant herald. The aim of the sport is to knock one's opponent off balance and throw him down, making him touch the ground with his elbow and knee. The winners are honoured with ancient titles: the winner of the fifth round gets an honorary title of nachin (falcon), of the seventh and eighth rounds zaan (elephant), and of the tenth and eleventh rounds arslan (lion). The wrestler who twice absolute champion is awarded the title ofavarga (Titan). Every subsequent victory at the national Naadam-festival will add an epithet to his avarga title, like "Invicible Titan", "Invincible Titan to be remembered by all" etc. From in 2003 the Mongolian parliament adopted a new law on Naadam, making amendments to some of the wrestling titles. The titles of Garudi and Hartsaga (Hawk) were added to the existing above-mentioned titles.

cliveersknell View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 00:03
Why do wrestlers in Mongolia wear briefs, while
wrestlers in Inner Mongolia wear trousers?
Clive
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 00:04

Originally posted by cliveersknell

Clive

I am not aware about this thing.Maybe bcoz of Chinese cultural influence.

blitz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote blitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 11:44
Originally posted by 0000

Originally posted by cliveersknell

Clive

I am not aware about this thing.Maybe bcoz of Chinese cultural influence.

What is there chinese cultural influence? Ancient turkic wrestlers wore also briefs.

Edited by blitz
Road to wisdom: err, err and err. But less, less and less!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 05:15

Originally posted by Blitz

What is there chinese cultural influence? Ancient turkic wrestlers wore also briefs.

Modern Turkish wrestlers wear trousers too.

I am not aware about ancient Turkic wrestlers.Would you mind sharing some information.

raygun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote raygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 09:55

What are the rules of Mongolian wrestling? How do one obtain a win?

Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Erdene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 21:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wB6WISba5M&search=mongol ia

0000 you sent me this...the rule is simple...only your feet and hands can touch the ground. Any other part of your body touches the ground.... you loose.
Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Erdene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 21:14
The Nadaam is going to be big this year...I was hoping to take part in the wrestling and been beefing up but sadly I will be going back to MGL much later than planned  what are the Turkish wrestling rules????
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 08:10

Yes Erdene I sent you that video and incase you didn't notice I have included that video in the opening post.

Thanx for telling the rules.I was not aware about them.In Indian freestyle wrestling you have to get the opposing wrestler's back completely to the ground.It is known as 'Charon Khaney Chit' [sound of 'T' is soft].Loose translation would be 'Four Corners to the Ground.'

Traditional Indian Wrestling is fought on Clay.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 21:40

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 21:41

Hunting!

hehehe!

big wolf is'nt it!

Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Erdene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 09:36
Even bigger!!!!

Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Erdene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 09:49
Mongolian Wrestlers..

Edited by Erdene
Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Erdene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 19:28
So what was the Turkish wrestling rules????
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:04
I don't know alot but I think It's you have to get your opponent on his back and his shoulders have to touch the ground for a period of time 3 or 10 I thin I forgott and theres only one round no rules accept punching , biting and stuff
this is al I know and the wrestler are called pehlivans(wrestler) ( it's an persian word I think) and the champion is called baspehlivan (head wrestler)

Post Reply Post Reply