Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anastasia- Russia " Lost Princess"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anastasia- Russia " Lost Princess"
    Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 09:22

In the 1930s a woman calling herself Anna Anderson threw herself into the Seine in Paris. She was rescued and brought to hosptial where she showed the nurses pictures of the Romanovs in a magazines and pionted out how like Anastasia she was. The she went further claiming she was infact the Russian Princess and that she had been rescued by a White soldier from the Cellar in the Ipatiev house the morning after the shooting. She said she had come to Paris to find relatives and in a fit of despair attempted suicide. Although DNA tests later suggested she probably wasn't Anastasia she still stunned people with her intimate knowladge of the Romanovs private lives. There were others like her but they were all dismissed as nonsense.

However when the bodies of the Imperial family were dug up in the early 1990s it was discovered that two sets of remains were missing. Scientific tests showed that the ages heights etc of the remaining bodies prooved that they were those of the Tsar, his wife and their three eldest daughters meaning the missing bodies had to have been those of Anastasia and her younger brother Alexei the Tsarevich. Now people looked back at the stories of Anna Anderson and others and wondered whether there might be any truth in them. Interestingly no young man ever came forward claiming to be Alexei.

Could Anastasia and/or Alexei have survived the shooting in the Cellar Room? If so how? And if not then where are their bodies now and why weren't they with the others?

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 16:02

i read somewhere the Tsars family had jewels sewn about their clothing and that not all of them died right away because the diamonds etc sewn in their clothes had deflected the bullets fired at them. 

Apparently the guards bayoneted those that survived the bullits but just maybe Anastasia and Alexei survived the carnage due to the same defletion of the bayonets.

( If i was the dude in charge of the revolution or maybe a high ranking officer above reproach then i'd want to keep myself an ace up my sleeve just in case things didn't pan out as expected with the revolution. I'd have  taken the wounded Alexeis and possibly Anastacia and kept them hidden someplace safe till i saw how things panned out.  i might have even arranged to fake their deaths if i thought they were worth more to me alive as hostages.

Anastasia would not have been as important a prisoner for obvious reasons. But Alexeis may have become a character similar to Alexandre Dumas 'Man in the Iron Mask'. Kept locked away someplace as a political prisoner to be used if things turned sour or never to be seen again if things panned out right.)

Edited by Scorpian
Scorpian
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 04:37

i read somewhere the Tsars family had jewels sewn about their clothing and that not all of them died right away because the diamonds etc sewn in their clothes had deflected the bullets fired at them.[quote]

Thats true! What happened was the Tsarina wrote a letter from the Ipatiev House to her daughters(they weren't all taken together because 3 of the girls had to remain in St.Petersburg to care for Alexei) and told them to " Dispose of the medicines as agreed" . What she really meant was to hide the royal jewels. So as you say the girls sowed them on to their corsets where the Bolsheviks ( they hoped) would never find them. They formned a sort of bullet proof vest for the girls and so the Bolsheviks resorted to bludgeoning the girls to death with thier Bayonets. Sadly they then discovered the jewels and stole them off the bodies. Lucklily some of them were later recovered.

But Alexeis may have become a character similar to Alexandre Dumas 'Man in the Iron Mask'. Kept locked away someplace as a political prisoner to be used if things turned sour or never to be seen again if things panned out right.)[quote]

Interesting theory! Never thought of that!

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 06:28

(maybe after a number of years i'd have decided Anastacia wasn't worth the keeping and let her go. who would believe her story anyway?

and if i'd been a relative denying her claim for decades and then DNA testing proved she had been the real deal all along then i'd be mighty embarrassed.  i might even go as far as having my government pals have their secret police peeps do a cover up.)

lets face it; cover ups by governments happen everyday

Scorpian
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 06:49

Anna Anderson was a poor fake, she couldn't even speak Russian, a pretty good give-a-way.

A while back they did a DNA test on her body and proved conclusively she was not a Romanov.

The again she was a polish peasant who conned an awful lot of rich people out of their money, so you've gotta give her, her due.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 07:00
The missing princess was Maria and she lived in south africa.
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 08:21

Anastasia was the name of my first love.

As Paul said,Anna as the missing princess of the latest Tsar was  fake..

Edited by TheDiplomat
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Erdene View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Erdene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 20:04
So somewhere there is a Romanov then....s/he could be in Mongolia for all we know...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 06:37
Originally posted by Paul

Anna Anderson was a poor fake, she couldn't even speak Russian, a pretty good give-a-way.

I actually met Mrs Anna Anderson in January 1957 when I interviewed her for Picture Post magazine where she was living in the Black Forest, courtesy of the Saxe-Altenburgs. Her Russian was at least as good as mine. At that time mine was still pretty fluent - I had only a year or two earlier qualified as an Army interpreter - but not good enough I admit to judge the social quality of it.

Even at that time she still had a minor member of the Tsarist aristocracy (I forget the name) with her as an attendant, who seemed quite happy to accept ther story.

There was criticism of the fact that her French was not as good as might be expected for a member of the Royal family, but it was overlooked by many that the social language preferred in the Tsar's family (as opposed to the Russian aristocracy at large) was English, not French.

I was unable to come to any firm conclusion about her except that I believed she believed her own story (that she was deluded is certainly possible). But to dismiss her as a 'poor fake' is not justified at all. Excellent fake she may have been.

A while back they did a DNA test on her body and proved conclusively she was not a Romanov.

I missed that. Do you have a reference?

The again she was a polish peasant who conned an awful lot of rich people out of their money, so you've gotta give her, her due.

Where do you get the 'Polish' bit from?

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 09:19
1957? Man,how old are you?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 09:40

I heard about this from the History Channel. It was in the early 1990's.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 11:03

Originally posted by Spartakus

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 11:12
Originally posted by QueenCleopatra

In the 1930s a woman calling herself Anna Anderson threw herself into the Seine in Paris. She was rescued and brought to hosptial where she showed the nurses pictures of the Romanovs in a magazines and pionted out how like Anastasia she was.

I don't know where you got that from, but it's way wrong. It was the Landwehr canal in Berlin and it was in 1920.

Moreover it was others in the hospital who recognised her resemblance to Anastasia[1], not her that first claimed it. The hospital had her listed as 'Fraulein Unbekannt' (Miss Unknown) for two years.

[1] Actually she was first thought to be Tatiana.

The wikipedia article is pretty good and objective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Anderson

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 12:42
I also read she was a Pole. 
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 14:02
Originally posted by gcle2003

I actually met Mrs Anna Anderson in January 1957 when I interviewed her for Picture Post magazine where she was living in the Black Forest, courtesy of the Saxe-Altenburgs. Her Russian was at least as good as mine. At that time mine was still pretty fluent - I had only a year or two earlier qualified as an Army interpreter - but not good enough I admit to judge the social quality of it.

Even at that time she still had a minor member of the Tsarist aristocracy (I forget the name) with her as an attendant, who seemed quite happy to accept ther story.

There was criticism of the fact that her French was not as good as might be expected for a member of the Royal family, but it was overlooked by many that the social language preferred in the Tsar's family (as opposed to the Russian aristocracy at large) was English, not French.

I was unable to come to any firm conclusion about her except that I believed she believed her own story (that she was deluded is certainly possible). But to dismiss her as a 'poor fake' is not justified at all. Excellent fake she may have been.

I missed that. Do you have a reference?

Where do you get the 'Polish' bit from?

Pretty amazing story.

I think the Wiki article you included in the later post answers your questions, but it also makes me doubt she really was Polish. How many Polish factory workers speak Russian, French and English. A Russian princess of that era should have pretty good English, Anna could have learnt hers in the US in later life. When you spoke did she have good English/ an American accent.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 14:26

!

--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 16:19

having recently joined AE i was beginning to despair i was the oldest member at 42.  

Scorpian
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 17:03
gcle2003 may be old in body, but he's young in spirit. On this forum we've got others that are 24 going on 90.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 17:07

Paul the philosopher.

I must admit that i feel kinda old.

Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 17:44

and i'm 42 going on 18

anyways i'm pleased to have found these forums.

Scorpian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>