Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Empires
    Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 18:22
Originally posted by pinguin

Pinguin

You don't refute my arguments my friend Wink, the points 1-5 plus 7 are good additions, but don't count in a mesure of quantity: economy, size, population... In fact, althought great achievements, can't be compared with the glory of the british expanding the industrial revolution; contrary, the point 8 is a trully great achievement as i said before althought i should add that the spanisy wasn't following to Portugal but walking side to side, and finally in 1580, in the same way. Contrary i must disagree in the 6 point, the european economy was booming long time before, since the medieval expansion of the XI century, the procces was alive with or without silver, in fact was that process the cause of the search of gold and silver, then when the metals was fint contributed to the expansion. Many peoples forget that the trully first thing that the portuguese was searching wasn't spice but the african gold.

The legacy in Amrica... well, true it's impressive.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 18:28
Originally posted by Red4tribe

You must count too the Balears, Ceuta, Melilla and several small mediterranean islands as "overseas"Spain, but of course isn't now an empire, my god LOL; true we are today more or less, according with an economical rank, in the first 10. But historically i prefer the classifications of the first pages of this post in groups and not the empires one by one.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 12:42
I believe that there is serious loss of objectivity about the Ottoman Empire, first of all above the claim of being an Islamic Empire Ottomans have always protected and continued to carry the heritage of Byzantines. The Ottoman land was the country of  people from different race and religion for centuries. Despite the religious connection Arabs had a relatively less effect on the Ottoman culture. Despite the conquest spirit what makes the Ottomans so great is their tolerance and justice towards other cultures. Ottoman rule never allowed religious or cultural oppression. I believe that stating that the Ottomans started the slave trade would be nothing but a huge lie, which cannot be supported by any sort of evidence. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 14:42

As for the matter of technological advances and such, one cannot give entire credit to one civilization over the others. It is no coincidence that the Ancient World was the siege of many succeeding civilizations. What must noticed here is that trade between different regions made it possible for advances to get rid of distances and created a small "global village" - - though this term is used as an anachronism here. One can point that isolated civilizations rarely surpassed what was present in Europe and the Middle East. Advances are made by parts which arent necessarily exclusive to any particular region.

As for the question at hand, I do not believe that any empire was greater than the other. The Roman Empire instituted much of modern western thought, but also brought international segregation. One can securely assert that western external policy is quite different than its interior policy in terms of what is "fair" and what is not. This conception of having two different sets of moral values is very Roman in nature. A roman citizen received a far different treatment than those who were declared "barbarians" - - this, more often than not, solely on the basis of culture. Analogously, today, in the west, we claim ourselves to be civilized and show contempt for those who we deem uncivilized.

Edited by werg - 25-Feb-2007 at 14:46
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 12:14

Favorite Empires:

1. Roman (starting after Hannibal's defeat till the death of Marcus Aurelius)
2. Byzantian (Only 1,000 year Empire ever!)
3. Macedonian (Started with only hope and two genius: Alexander and his father Phillipe)
4. Cartago (I dont really know how to write it in English) (Really commerce oriented)
5. Persian (Same size as Roman one, just more based on the East)

NOT SO FAVORITE EMPIRES:
1. Mongolian (Their idea was: Let's destroy everything that reminds a city)
2. USA (1776 - ????)
3. Viking (Never really a political unit, just domination ...)
4. German (WWII)
5. Japanese (WWII)

Greetings from Guayaquil, Ecuador ...
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 14:39
Originally posted by Disraeli

9 Portuguese Empire, longevious even if everchanging in dimension.

On behalf of my countrymen I confess myself flattered by this inclusion. However, I must disapoint you, in the sense that there is no such as a "Portuguese Empire". Such a notion was an invention of late 19th century republicans, derived from the race to Africa, and later propelled by the right-wing dictatorship in the 40's. I still laugh hard when I look at school manual dating the "Portuguese Empire" from 1415 to 1999.

In fact, Portugal was a lot more similar to a modern commercial enterprise, a global coorporation with offices throughout the globe. It's concern was not with conquest, but with the estabilishment of trade points and ressouce gathering. All it's policies were economicaly-oriented, and all political decisions (such as the abandon of North Africa) were taken by weighting the financial pros and cons.

The closest thing to a "Portuguese Empire" is the cultural legacy, wether in the language (widely spread in South America and Africa, and the most influentian on Asian languages before the advent of English) and the traditions.     
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 14:51
Fred,

I don't want to look like the Camoesist of the forum but quite interestingly you are stating the opposite of most of the (economic) hitories I've read about the Casa de India and all that stuff.
You're saying they were much too much profit-minded to be a real Empire, but they are arguing that the Portuguese were not enough profit-minded to be an efficient commercial venture. They're saying that basically, they were counting on violence (as many state) to persive taxes from Asian traders. In a sens the definition of Empire is correct for Portugal after 1500 if you consider it a maritime empire. My point of view.
I am a free donkey!
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 15:52
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Fred,

I don't want to look like the Camoesist of the forum but quite interestingly you are stating the opposite of most of the (economic) hitories I've read about the Casa de India and all that stuff.
You're saying they were much too much profit-minded to be a real Empire, but they are arguing that the Portuguese were not enough profit-minded to be an efficient commercial venture. They're saying that basically, they were counting on violence (as many state) to persive taxes from Asian traders. In a sens the definition of Empire is correct for Portugal after 1500 if you consider it a maritime empire. My point of view.

You are half right in your statement, Maharbbal. Perhaps I expressed myself in the wrong way.
The problem of the portuguese was not so much about not being profit-minded; the problem was that there was very few capital in the nation to invest. Portugal lacked primary ressources, such as cereals, which had to be imported. Any revenue gained from the spice trade would be spent on that and other necessities, such as "industrial" products. There was no "profit", as in accumulation of wealth, but the desire of gathering enough to live with. It was not a question of "making money" in excess, it was a question of making enough to survive.

Also, what I was aiming to say is that there was no concept of a "Portuguese Empire" in Portugal before the 19th century*, like there was for other countries - there was only the Kingdom of Portugal and overseas possessions. The sovereigns of Portugal never styled themselves "Emperor".

The "Casa da India" was, rudely put, a spice shop like any other in Lisbon. The diference lied in the fact that it's owner lived just above the shop, and happened to be the King of Portugal.

Granted, there were events where economical worries were set aside to pursue other goals, like the crusading wars of Afonso V in North Africa, and King Sebastio's later atempt - incidently, Afonso's gains in Africa were later abandoned because they were deemed "not economicaly viable", in oposition to the fumbling Asian possessions and the rise of Brasil).
After the reign of Joo V in the 18th century, due to the immense cashflow from Brasilian gold and sugar (the first case of accumulation of wealth), only then there was a general disinterest in economical pursuits by the elements of society with capacity to invest. Influenced by foreign tales, the portuguese nobility began to worry more about their way of life. They began imitating the French way of life, for instance, while there was enough wealth accumulated. But Portugal was not France, it was a rural country with zero industry, and the lack of investment soon proved costly. Until today.    

I wouldn't call it a maritime empire. It was a maritime and naval power, no question on that, and I can even conceive it to be a comercial empire (but one which only lasted as long as there was no competition). But to call it a political, nation-based Empire like Rome, Britain, or even Spain, is going a bit to far, in my opinion. 
I hope I was clear enough this time. If not, let me know. 

*There was a use of "Empire" in Portugal before the 19th century. I'm refering, obviously, to the myth of the "5th Empire" (Quinto Imprio), initialy sugested by Cames, later developed by Antnio Vieira, which refered to Portugal as a "spiritual empire" - something that it is agreed, lives more or less today as our cultural legacy. 

Edited by Frederick Roger - 27-Feb-2007 at 15:53
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 14:59
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I think Rome is overrated

Personally I think any Empire sucks because it usually dies in the end

Have your own personal opinion, but I think that it was one of the greatest empires.
Crusader3943
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 15:00
I think that the greatest was the Holy Roman Empire.
Crusader3943
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 02:22
Sorry for interrupting the convo, but i would to ask a question out of curiosity. The Timurid Empire, founded by Tīmūr bin Taraghay Barlas is seen by many as a very "beautiful" Empire, becuase of the fact that Central Asia "peaked" under It's reign. The Empire itself was very unstable though, becuase Tīmūr refused to leave any forms of "government" in many of the lands he conquered, which in turn means that he would always feel the need to re-conquer those lands, due to constant revolts.

Had he left stable government "apparatuses" in those lands, how different do you think the world wouldve turned out in that area?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 11:09
1st OTTOMAN EMPIRE
2nd ROME EMPIRE
3rd Hellen EMPIRE
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 15:03
My personal opinion is the whole tread like many other treads are simply stupid because most people allways try to make their countries or those related to them the GREATEST.There are very few how are objective.The tread itself doesn't say what THE GRATEST EMPIRE means-greatest military,territory,contribution.....
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 15:05
Originally posted by Jagiello

LOLAnd why should the Ottoman empire be the first,besides that you are turkish?

As far as I see, this topic is kind of a poll where people are asked for opinions and list the empires they like...You may disagree with others' opinions, then what you need to do is to ask them why or discuss in a serious manner, not mock or provoke them.

It wasn't the biggest ever,wasn't the strongest ever,

There were certain times it had been the biggest and strongest, though that depends on from which aspect you look at it.

didn't contributed most (in fact didn't contributed almost at all)...The romans and hellenics and USA,France,Britain,Chinese,Aztec,German and even Russian emires contributed more to the world that the Ottomans.There is simply no reason the Ottomans should be in the firs place and you obviously do it simply cause you're turkish (i could say the same way Poland Rzeczpospolita was the greatest-but it wasn't).

You may dislike the Ottoman Empire, but that does not change the fact it had made a difference in the world. Like every empire in the world, Ottoman Empire had its own contributions, and it was one of the greatest empires in the world, as well as many many others.

An analogy with Poland cannot be drawn because scope of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was certainly different.

Edited by Kapikulu - 20-Mar-2007 at 15:07
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
GR3Y077 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote GR3Y077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 06:18
This is a silly thread. How can you define 'greatest' empire.
Anything like biggest impact on history or biggest cultural impact on the world is extremely subjective. The problem is putting everything in context of time and location.

Wealthiest: American

Largest sizes/population/wealth:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 09:43

Size isnt everything!

I think what may make an empire worthy of being considered great is its enduring legacy mor than its size, so for that reason I would pick firstly the British Empire, then the American empire, then the Roman empire.

I think America should be considered an empire. It conquered a large chunk of North America and its military, economic and cultural reach is global.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 02:34
Originally posted by Chwyatt

Size isnt everything!

I think what may make an empire worthy of being considered great is its enduring legacy mor than its size, so for that reason I would pick firstly the British Empire, then the American empire, then the Roman empire.

I think America should be considered an empire. It conquered a large chunk of North America and its military, economic and cultural reach is global.

I Agree, SIZE doesnt mean a thing. Niether does it make the "conqueror" more GREAT.

What matters is how much of an Impact, the Empire and its "descendant" Empires, had on humanity to this day.

And as for the "Conqueror" or "Forger", what matters are the probabilities of how they may have conquerored these lands. And How They Ruled and Maintened.

Edited by Penelope - 24-Mar-2007 at 02:35
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 03:04
I agree too, Penelope. The legacy of an empire, and its impact on the present (at the time it was/is around) and future. On these terms, I would have to say the Roman and British Empires are definitely worthy of being called 'Great'. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 08:08
Originally posted by Knights

I agree too, Penelope. The legacy of an empire, and its impact on the present (at the time it was/is around) and future. On these terms, I would have to say the Roman and British Empires are definitely worthy of being called 'Great'. 

Oh!!! My god LOL

In the case of the Roman Empire, no doubt it was great, although its corruption and the sadic love for killings of its people. Yes, the heritage of Romans is widespread in the western and westernized world in fields like engineering, administration, law, literature, etc.

Now, for the British to be considered "great", I doubt it. Yes, Brits contributed to the world greatly with the development of the scientific and technological revolutions, with Newton an Watt, so to speak.

However, the existence of theirs worldwide Empire was short an superficial, to say the least: 150 years in North America and Australia, less than a hundred in Africa, two centuries in India.

Portugal, Spain, Dutchland, Britain, France, Russia, all of them developed empires one time or another, and I don't see why the British Empire should be considered outstanding in comparison, (particularly considering how fast Britain has declined and  become just another country more)

By the way, It is time Brits forget about playing Romans. Go back home: return the Malvinas LOL

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 24-Mar-2007 at 08:09
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 10:00
Originally posted by pinguin

Now, for the British to be considered "great", I doubt it. Yes, Brits contributed to the world greatly with the development of the scientific and technological revolutions, with Newton an Watt, so to speak.

However, the existence of theirs worldwide Empire was short an superficial, to say the least: 150 years in North America and Australia, less than a hundred in Africa, two centuries in India.

Portugal, Spain, Dutchland, Britain, France, Russia, all of them developed empires one time or another, and I don't see why the British Empire should be considered outstanding in comparison, (particularly considering how fast Britain has declined and  become just another country more)

By the way, It is time Brits forget about playing Romans. Go back home: return the Malvinas LOL

Pinguin 

Pinguin most empires only last for a short time the Roman empire is one of the exceptions not the rule, so 150 years ruling a large overseas territory is pretty good and two centuries in India while virtually ruling the entire subcontinent for over one hundred of these is more than virtually any native Indian power achieved (no offense to Indians as Pataliputra was one of the greatest cities in the world when the british were still living in earthen huts).

Futheremore (in your opinion) in thier short time at the top they changed the world drastically both for better and for worse: they were great practitioners to the slave trade and without them there would not be many people of African ancestry in the USA however they were also the first to outlaw slavery and as they were the most powerful nation on earth at the time others followed suit, these event have hugely effected history they also started the Industrial revolution which completely changed the world as well, they were crucial to the defeat of Napoleon, they colonised many countries in the Americas and pacific virtually wiping out the native populations and creating what would become incredibly wealthy nations from scratch, they made the english language the most important language in the world and finaly the governments and laws of dozens of countries from Canada in the North to Australia in the south are based on thiers.

the legacy of the "short lived" british empire is enormous and you would do well to recognise it Pinguin as it is probably all around you.

Regards
Praetor

Edited by Praetor - 24-Mar-2007 at 10:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>