Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre all humans overall selfish sponges?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are all humans overall selfish sponges?
    Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 16:09

Are all humans overall selfish sponges?

chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

I notice groups showing so much sympathy and compassion towards fellow members of their group yet complete coldness and cruelty to outcasts and those outside their group. Bullying is a major element here. Are people like this because their selfish and the dont see the benefit of showing kindness to an outsider when they can just take the Mick out of them to elevate their status within their group? Is it because theres no reciprocity?>>

So now i ask you are individual human beings overall extremely selfish.>>

Also do you believe the majority of humans are social cowards!

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 16:35
I think it's a natural part of any society's structure. Universal equality has never been achieved and people are always broken apart into classes based on one thing or another, official or not.

You have India's very overt system, you have America's racial and financial system, you have Bosnia's family heritage system, and so on.

Now I'm a bit of an idealist, I don't think it's impossible to achieve total equality or a communal style of living but I don't think it will ever be achieved in any real sense.

It's part of human nature, no matter where you are in the world...

If you have a group of women sizing up an attractive man, there is always a leader of that group. She'll say something derogatory to one of her friends to boost her confidence to approach the guy and so on. You'll always have men trying to prove themselves - physically, financially, etc.

The only difference with us is that we have the ability to be aware of it and except in the most basic of cultures we don't do it in overt, chest-beating ways.

All of this, I think, is the reason we do many things. It's the reason women wear high heels, to basically cripple themselves and appear constantly as ladies in distress, delicate, etc. It's why women wear make-up, just a modern version of caveman face painting to emphasize the lips, eyes, and other things that are very obvious naturally in women with high estrogen (and consequently fertility) levels.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 16:38
Originally posted by Mila

It's why women wear make-up, just a modern version of caveman face painting to emphasize the lips, eyes, and other things that are very obvious naturally in women with high estrogen (and consequently fertility) levels.

I might as well say it before someone else does. "Except in Bosnia, where caveman face painting is still the norm."
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 16:46
     I think selfishness is sometimes just a side-effect of our survival instinct. Those who are selfish beyond what they need to survive and be comfortable, are the real selfish ones.

Originally posted by Pieinsky

Some are, and some just don't like society, but see it as their only way to avoid a more difficult life in isolation.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 18:33
It has much to do with education. In most tribal societies individuals are of little importance and the collective is most important. Humans (and occasionally other animals too) have instincts of solidarity that compete internally with those of cowardy and egoism (mere individual survival): result: people risking their lifes to save others' even if unrelated - sometimes but more often that it would be expected if we were just "egoist sponges".

Said that, and displacing the discussion to a more rationalist speculation: egoism implies solidarity. We are social ciratures that can hardly even survive without the others. We need the others and we need structures of solidarity.

One problem is that our Capitalist model enhances the individualist instincts and despises mostly the solidarian ones. This makes us feel sad when we work and consume because it's totally unnatural. That's one of the aspects of the famous "alienation" of producer and product. Capitalism makes all structures to go through by its individualist molds - yet humans need more than that - and therefore we are always unsatisfied even if we have so many things and so much money. It is because we lack of social solidary networks that work effectively bayond just talk-talk.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 18:54

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

I think selfishness is sometimes just a side-effect of our survival instinct. Those who are selfish beyond what they need to survive and be comfortable, are the real selfish ones.

Originally posted by Pieinsky

Some are, and some just don't like society, but see it as their only way to avoid a more difficult life in isolation.

Defensiveness quite often is mistaken for selfishness, some in todays society have developed an unnatural protectiveness which isolates them even in a group, it provides the illusion of safety while allowing personal involvement with others.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 13:49

I think selfishness is sometimes just a side-effect of our survival instinct. Those who are selfish beyond what they need to survive and be comfortable, are the real selfish ones.chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

I agree ArmenianSurvival
. The problem is that some people view the definition what it is to be comfortable as being directly derogatory to others so to raise one's self esteem. This is true selfishness to me. >>

One problem is that our Capitalist model enhances the individualist instincts and despises mostly the solidarian ones. This makes us feel sad when we work and consume because it's totally unnatural. >>

Thats quite interesting Maju.>>

All of this, I think, is the reason we do many things. It's the reason women wear high heels, to basically cripple themselves and appear constantly as ladies in distress, delicate, etc.>>

Yes I agree in some occasions this certainly is the case. Clothes tend to act as power symbols or as a sigh that I can do this. Each job has its uniform. (I HATE UNIFORMS in some places.) For example if a politician were to make a speech in shorts and a flowery shirt, few will take him seriously. I find this very sad, that the clothes a person wears measures their ability rather then  other actions they make.>>

Edited by Pieinsky
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 14:28
To answer the main question then i strongly believe that when everything is stripped away from a person, selfishness is the only thing that remains. Everything a person does is due to selfishness, cover it up with whatever psychological theories you want, mans basic instinct is selfishness. Whatever you do, charity work, rescue a child from death or marry another person, these are all sefish acts. Nothing can be accomplished without subconciously doing it for your own material, or more often, psychological benefit.

Yes, social groupings. I am in high school so that is exactly the place where such things pop out and are very vivdly showing when you take the time to look at it. The class is usually divided into different sub-groups of people and these sub-groups can have some sort of friendly relations between eachother, they never unite into the same level of unity as the sub-group itself. It is quite funny to watch your own class, it is like a clan system. When certain 10 individuals sit in the classroom during recess, there is absolute silence, when some of these exit and others replace them, the ambiance changes in a heartbeat and you can't hear your own thoughts because of the noise.
This is also due to prejudice to some extent. I can honestly say that i would never want to talk with atleast one of my classmates ever again and if in ten years i would see him/her coming towards me on a city street, i would turn my back and take the next right. There is little to do, many people are just so revolting that i would like to smack them on the head and never see them again, how long can i fakesmile in unwanted company.

And how are everybodys experiences with fakesmiling, i must say i suck at it, i don't know if some people are too afraid to tell me that or are they too polite.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 17:52
Can you tell me how rescuing a non-relative child (or maybe even an animal such as a cat!) can be selfish? Let's assume that nobody ever knows about it and that the rescuer takes a serious risk him/herself.

People and some other animals have altruist instincts too. Communication skills, language included, are part of those social instinctual base pack - that is altruist at least on occasion.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 18:56
I believe that saving a child for example comes from simply keeping your conscience clean, it doesn't matter what others think, although being a hero is kneat too. If i wouldn't feel anything directly bad or mentally crushing in my head after letting a child die, i would hardly save him/her. So if a persons conscience would not be so easily altered by events such as this, one would also not care lifting a finger to help another.

You can call conscience as a tool of "goodwill" in some way then, but man doesn't control it, he only does good deeds to not lose his mind or lose mental stability, it is a completely selfish defense mechanism in a way. There are no good deeds that i have seen in my life that come from the heart, it is quite impossible.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 20:14
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

I believe that saving a child for example comes from simply keeping your conscience clean...

Well, that conscience... what is it but conscience of the world, concsicence of the existence... of oneself maybe but of The Other too. Why would it bother my conscience if a child or a cat die or suffer if I'm just an egoist crit. I think that some people suffer from such an illness and, sometimes, they can evolve into child-molesters and other kind of criminals precisely because they suffer from some lack... severe emotional damage I would say. Emotional damage that tries to reprodduce itself causing damage to others, while making the victim/criminal egoistically insensitive.

But wahtever the cause in these abnormal people, the majoriy among us is much more social, empathic and has innate and cultivated social values.

You can call conscience as a tool of "goodwill" in some way then, but man doesn't control it, he only does good deeds to not lose his mind or lose mental stability, it is a completely selfish defense mechanism in a way. There are no good deeds that i have seen in my life that come from the heart, it is quite impossible.

Are you saying that due to the instintive nature of emotions, even if they are social emotions that are (for the most part) possitive for the egoistical needs of the bearer, each one of us only acts altruistically because the teddy bear inside us forces us to behave that way?

In this case, I'd say that a normal or, at least, a well developed person has gathered along his/her life the knowledge and has meditated and taken "moral" or "ethic" decissions sufficiently as to construct his/her own opinion on why not just they do it instinctively but why he/she likes to act that way and doesn't want to alter that instinct substantially.

Remember that we humans have some power to mould our instincts as we desire. We can "correct" or even "supress" those instincts - yet the fact that they are holistically useful and that they make part of our best natural self makes us to prefer following them as much as possible instead of sabotaging them.

Listen to your body, listen to your animal inside: your "superior mind" will thank you for it. Instincts are essentially good (egoistically and altruistically - holistically).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 22:08

Altruism is not just an "ideal" championed by liberals. People often take selfless actions (e.g. giving money to charity, doing volunteer work). Similar selfless behaviour is observed in controlled laboratory experiments as well (e.g. subjects systematically often cooperate in public goods and prisnoers dilemma games, and turn down unfair offers in "ultimatum" games).

Altruistic behaviours are well-documented even in the animal world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism_in_animals).

Edited by flyingzone
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 06:31

And how are everybodys experiences with fakesmiling, i must say i suck at it, i don't know if some people are too afraid to tell me that or are they too polite. chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

I dont fake smiles unless I am acting in a local play. In my other situations I dont consider it healthy. >>

I believe that saving a child for example comes from simply keeping your conscience clean, it doesn't matter what others think, although being a hero is kneat too. If i wouldn't feel anything directly bad or mentally crushing in my head after letting a child die, i would hardly save him/her. So if a persons conscience would not be so easily altered by events such as this, one would also not care lifting a finger to help another.>>

Its ironic how greed is what can save people lives and is the basis of that ever-prevailing concept we call love.>>

I have come to a conclusion that humans and greed have a symbiotic relationship. Greed is not always a form of evil and in some cases can illuminate and stimulate a good world. Without greed we could not have aspirations, we could not eat or reproduce. We would inevitably die. However as said previously not all greed is good. Greed is more the medium or key that opens the doors that allow us to want. It is a valuable tool, which we cant discard or throw away. Removing it from oneself would be an act of suicide. Is the basis of Buddhism to rid of aspirations? This is insane to want to rid of aspirations is an aspiration itself. >>

I believe that saving a child for example comes from simply keeping your conscience clean>>

The strange thing is animals have shown to help other animals in need even if it is no benefit too them. Is compassion built into or formula because of that constant echo of kindness that is beat-ed into are head so we just instinctively do it, or is it because the animal helps the other because there is a benefit, the feeling of helping. That feeling that has the capacity to elevate ones self esteem to new levels. 

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 08:37
  Is the basis of Buddhism to rid of aspirations? This is insane to want to rid of aspirations is an aspiration itself.

But the ultimate liberation from desire is to get rid of the desire of getting rid of all desires.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 10:08
 Ha
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 10:10
"Why would it bother my conscience if a child or a cat die or suffer if I'm just an egoist crit"

Because most egotistical crits are just like any other people, they only seem bossier outside, but are 99% just the same. They still can't control their conscience in situations like saving a life and will jump to the cause. Egotism is mainly outwardly, conscience is deep in our instincts.

Only sociopaths have somehow defeated conscience due to some fault in birth (nature is flawed) or some psychological catastrophy during childhood.

"But wahtever the cause in these abnormal people, the majoriy among us is much more social, empathic and has innate and cultivated social values."

Emapthy is just a fault in the hole system of life created (or messed up) by nature, just as life itself is a fault. Well yes, we have social values, but conscience, depending on what exact level it is, rules above all. But then again, social values carve out much of the conscience we have, so they have a strong connection.

"Are you saying that due to the instintive nature of emotions, even if they are social emotions that are (for the most part) possitive for the egoistical needs of the bearer, each one of us only acts altruistically because the teddy bear inside us forces us to behave that way?"

It is not actually a teddy bear, it is the basic, crule human monster that we all are inside who fights for survival. Psychological health is just as important as physical to an extent, so we have to take care of that aswell, letting a child die would damage it severly as a basic human is a machine that operates on conscience. Call that type of a good deed beautiful or horrific is up to everyone themselves.

"Remember that we humans have some power to mould our instincts as we desire."

Even if we do so, it comes from selfishness because we know that an act based on an instinct can sometimes be harmful, like wishing to sleep with a married woman. It is selfish of us to stop from obeying such an instinct because we know the guilt we will get after such an act surpasses the pleasure.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 20:04
But most people don't decide politically to act heroically. Some may but for most it's just part of what they must do, they would never do otherwise unless paralized by panic or other means...

Sociopaths have not defeated conscience: they haven't developed it... at least in a normal/healthy manner. Repressing something is not defeating it. Emotions can only be conquered by embracing them, by expressing them in the adequate contexts. Else you just become nuts.

Empathy is no fault. It's very useful for survival, both physical and emotional survival. Without projecting ourselves through empathy (and recieving alsop the friendship of others) our lifes become arid and meaningless. What's the meaning of life for a human that only cares for him/herself? That's humanly meaningless.

It is not actually a teddy bear, it is the basic, crule human monster that we all are inside who fights for survival.

The main difference in our viewpoints seems to be one of perception of animality: to me animals are not "cruel monsters" and humans aren't either: they/we are life in action, with all its complexity and richess, including emotions and impredicatbility.

People has been able along history to kill others or let them die. Infanticide is pretty common way of population control among those human societies that know no other remedy (some use anti-conceptives instead: these don't kill their young - they don't need it). War and human sacrifice may also be a common practice among these people and yet they remain human and relatively healthy emotionally. The reason is that they still have a meaningful society (and maybe a religion) that gives sense to their existence.

... a basic human is a machine that operates on conscience

I don't accept the hyper-simplification of humans (or animals) being mere machines. Even a unicellular being such as an amoeba or a coral are extremely more complex than most of the machines that we can create if not all. Complex criatures as us can't be considered mere machines: you wouldn't be able to describe our behaviour in all the books of the world.

You are (for whatever rason) too much in the element Earth and you're ignoring all the other three elements - "magic" explanation. You must particularly take a better look at the so called humid elements: water (emotions, perception, sensibility, conscience) and air (sociality, communication, lanaguage, ideas). Sorry for the magicalization of the explanation but for me it's clear that you are firmly installed in a too "earthy" attitude that denies the socio-psychological dimension of reality.

It is selfish of us to stop from obeying such an instinct because we know the guilt we will get after such an act surpasses the pleasure.

Are you making sense here: your reasoning seems "damned if you do, damned if you don't". If you do something that avoids your supposed "guilt" and if you do exactly the opposite (what makes feel you guilty) also, in both cases you say that the person is acting slefishly. You just assume that selfishness is the basic code and try to explain all in those schemes.

Also, I think you have a problem with guilt, what coming from a person from beyond the former iron curtain, where religion (the creator of guilt) used to be repressed... it's at least surprising.

I think that you should adress first why you focus things in a negative manner (guilt), then sabotage that guilt, via punktherapy, and finally start focusing things in a possitive realizative and holistic way. That's my opinion: I can't see that guilt nor that extreme egoism as something natural - much less in humans. People, when not psychologically damaged, tend to be spontaneously altruist - though excessve importance of private property and class division, based in extreme egoism distortion of our nature, doesn't help much here.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 14:29

Majiu

Sociopaths have not defeated conscience: they haven't developed it... at least in a normal/healthy manner. Repressing something is not defeating it. Emotions can only be conquered by embracing them, by expressing them in the adequate contexts. Else you just become nuts.

Kalevipoeg

Only sociopaths have somehow defeated conscience due to some fault in birth (nature is flawed) or some psychological catastrophy during childhood.

Sociopaths are sociopaths due to immense pain they have experienced, whose dawn does not necessarily take place in childhood. They are also people who have learned that using people as mediums to expel their anger and frustration is ok. Sciopaths have a sense of morals but one that seriously differs from our code of conduct. By concise you mean the skitso who tells you whats right and wrong, your head, to be honest I think pscoes have this more then ever, their conscience probably tortures them steering them to complete insanity and eventually suicide.>>

Kalevipoeg

Emapthy is just a fault in the hole system of life created (or messed up) by nature, just as life itself is a fault.

Empathy is a fault, where did you get that conclusion? If empathy is a fault well there should only be one life form in the world. Empathy is one of the greatest tools that sustain survival.

Life is not a fault or a success, for life to be either of these things the creator of the first form of life would have to have a conciseness, which is impossible because the creator would then be the first form of life because it has a conciseness. And when you dont exist you cant create.

Kalevipoeg

Because most egotistical crits are just like any other people, they only seem bossier outside, but are 99% just the same. They still can't control their conscience in situations like saving a life and will jump to the cause.

I dont know if 99% is the best value to describe this but I agree overall with what youre expressing there.

Majiu

at least in a normal/healthy manner.

This is true; they have a conscience but a deformed one.>>

Empathy is no fault. It's very useful for survival, both physical and emotional survival. Without projecting ourselves through empathy (and recieving alsop the friendship of others) our lifes become arid and meaningless.

Exactly, empathy is a means to delay the inevitable deadline of life. Reciprocity, love, these all could not be without empathy. These are some of the most important aspects of the nature of survival.>>

Majiu

The main difference in our viewpoints seems to be one of perception of animality: to me animals are not "cruel monsters" and humans aren't either: they/we are life in action, with all its complexity and richess, including emotions and impredicatbility.

As mentioned earlier, greed is not necessarily immoral, is the greed to survive immoral, to live on we must kill to eat, is that immoral, if it is, then I think the will to survive is immoral since its the stimulus to have something killed to eat.

I will think about this topic more, ILL BE BACK

Edited by Pieinsky
 Post Reply Post Reply