Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE Magazine Q&A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE Magazine Q&A
    Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 18:54

This topic is for people to chat with the editors about anything to do with the AE Magazine project.

We will be happy to answer any queries about the running, content and listen to any ideas you have about how it's progressing and should progress.

This is an informal chat, please feel free to post anything you like, no-matter how trivial you feel.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 23:52
when is the new issue coming out?
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 11:09
Each issue comes out early in the month.

Edited by Paul - 22-Sep-2006 at 15:23

Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 11:20
Nice.A chat thread atlast.I found that article on Indian Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 very biased.As a webzine of some repute don't you think it would be better to have  balanced articles.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 11:38

I really don't think there is such a thing as unbiased history, history is a humanities disipline, what's unbiased to one person will be biased to another.

What the magazine aims to do is introduce people to new areas of history people haven't heard of and new ideas about areas people have heard of, to stimiluate knowledge and historical debate on the forum.

If people wish to forward a theory on history others may disagree with, there is a long tradition of magazines being precisely the correct place to do this. People who disagree are then encouraged either to write a magazine article in responce to it or to open a debate on the subject about the issue where they may discuss it more deeply on the appropriate forum.

If for example the Indian Mutiny article causes an active debate on the South and South East Asia forum, which may even refute and criticise it, then it has been a resounding success.

Edited by Paul

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 04:17
There are a lot of great articles in the magazine that don't appear to be accessable through the main site. I think all the articles in back issues should become part of the main site. Is this already happening in the redevelopment?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 13:01
They are a part of the Main Site. It may be because of the revamping II is doing from time to time that some may be inaccsessible, although there might be another problem. I will check it immediately, but I would rather think it is because some renewals happening to the system.

EDIT:
Be I damned, I found out that some things indeed need editing. Mostly of other things but the few links I checked (the last Issue) do work. I will continue and am now very much interested.

Edited by rider - 13-Sep-2006 at 13:04
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 12:13

Do you have a NPOV policy on the mag? Because the whole "Fall of Constantinople" article is a Greek Lamentation/Turks are very bad.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 15:03
I know that article, but if you want, you may write a story of the Turks when the Greeks are so bad... It indeed is more the Greek side of the story, but somebody has to represent it too.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 15:22
Not sure what a NPOV policy is, but it's not a magazine article, it's part of AE Project whom I believe this motley crue are responsible for. Feel free to the Editors a harsh PM.

Edited by Paul - 22-Sep-2006 at 15:26

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 15:39
I had forgotten about that article. It was submitted by an anonymous visitor.

If you think that or any other article should be removed, I can look into doing that.

In general, we don't officially have an Neutral POV policy, but we do have an anti-biased POV policy. Wink Basically, we are a little more relaxed about the issue than is Wikipedia, but no article on the site should be too biased.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 23:57
Then we should make it clear that it is the opinion of one person. Because the way it is presented, i.e in the article index makes it seem that it was written by AE staff.

I mean what the hell dose Cyprus issue have to do with the fall of Constantinople.

Some gems

Still in the end of 20th century, Turkey has invaded another nation, Cyprus, and caused the death to 20000 humans and the exodus of their homes of 200000 Cypriots. Could anyone imagine France to attack Belgium? Impossible even to think about it. But Turkey, a state that US and England want to be part of Europe, has done.
"29 May 1453 is the worst day for the Hellenism and also for Europe.
The Greek empire of Byzantium, the ark of Culture for more than 1000 years, collapsed when the turkish hordes assaulted the proud capital. "

Now there are people who can very legitamatly hold opinions such as those and . But the tone is hardly appropriate for AE.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 03:50
All right. I will read through the article later on again and make corresponding changes.

Though, I must note that the discussion of already uploaded articles should go on on a different topic, this is for the Mag.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 06:43
Thanks, and I'll be more careful in future to post it properly.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 06:51
No problem, as we don't yet have a Main Site Discussion. I however, think that this should be revised. And the Magazine should have links to both sites. Very well, I'll take a look into this.

Also, could you clear out what did you think so especially brutal. I edited some of the parts about the Greek Empire, is it better now?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 07:28

I think the main problem is the general anti-Turkishness of the article. As for specifics, well as I said above, what does the Cyprus Issue have to do with the fall of constantinople.

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 07:37
Originally posted by Sparten

Then we should make it clear that it is the opinion of one person. Because the way it is presented, i.e in the article index makes it seem that it was written by AE staff.

I mean what the hell dose Cyprus issue have to do with the fall of Constantinople.

Some gems

Still in the end of 20th century, Turkey has invaded another nation, Cyprus, and caused the death to 20000 humans and the exodus of their homes of 200000 Cypriots. Could anyone imagine France to attack Belgium? Impossible even to think about it. But Turkey, a state that US and England want to be part of Europe, has done.
"29 May 1453 is the worst day for the Hellenism and also for Europe.
The Greek empire of Byzantium, the ark of Culture for more than 1000 years, collapsed when the turkish hordes assaulted the proud capital. "

Now there are people who can very legitamatly hold opinions such as those and . But the tone is hardly appropriate for AE.

Exactly.

Thanks for bringing up ,Sparten..

It is obvious to an enormous extend that that joke-guy who wrote that article had his political concerns before his historical concerns in his mind..

Not only 1453 has nothing to with Cyprus today,but also the fact that USA and UK want Turkey in the EU is niether the business of that propaganda guy who wrote the article.

Historians should be as important as those who made history. If a historian isnt loyal to the truth,and aim to stir up hatred towards other nations it is a big tradegy.

I also would like to see that article being edited and re-written by a history lover rather than a propagandist Greek who has political goals.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 07:46
Wait a moment, I most definetly have edited that section.

29 May 1453 is the worst day for the Roman Empires in Europe and Asia. The Roman Empire of Byzantium, the ark of Culture for more than 1000 years, collapsed when the armies of the Sultan of Turks assaulted the proud capital.

Is it better? Take a new look, I deleted the Cypriotic part of it.

http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=Constantinople

Edited by rider - 23-Sep-2006 at 07:47
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 22:35
Is the picture quiz for the April Magazine, 'Hammurabi's Code' - well, the tablet it was written on?

EDIT: I apologise Rider. The question is now posted on the appropriate issue.

Edited by Knights - 02-Apr-2007 at 16:02
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 10:21
Knights, post these things to the appropriate Edition's page. Thanks,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>