Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of Allah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of Allah?
    Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:09
What's the meaning of Allah?God or Lord maybe?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:12
I think god, but azimuth can say the correct answer.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:32

Allah means God in Arabic.

The world Ojala in spanish, meaning I hope or God willing comes from the Arabic world Allah.

Edited by Iranian41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:37
I think it literally means the God.Proper name for God in Arabic is ilah I belive.Adding AL in front gives an equavalent meaning of The in English.I might be wrong tho...

Turkified word ilah has a different meaning since it can refer to more than one thing.But in Arabic it refers to only one, which is Allah
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:45
I have read somewhere the word allah is drived from hebrew Elohim or Eloah, could someone prove it?
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:50
In Aramaic EL means God as well.It make sense since they are all semitic languages with common origns.
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:58
yes i think too.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 19:20
Does Allah or Ilah existed with the exact same meaning of today in pre-islamic Arabia,or it was introduced after the Islamization of the Arab peninsula?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 20:09
before Islam it was reffered to a specific idol. a goddess I believe.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 20:26

Allah Means God , the only God. or the supreme God for the pre-islamic Arabs.

Pre-Islamic Arabs were christans, jews and idol worshipers and others who worshipped th sun and the moon.

the Jews and the Christan Arabs called God Allah

the Idol worshippers called their Idols Aalihah, meaning gods, and those Aalihah were worshiped so they can be the link between them and the supreme God who is Allah.

Elah means god/lord but it can be used as any god for example we can say "Zeus is Elah al Yonan" meaning Zeus is Greek's god.

the term Allah to be used only when refering to the God belived to be the One and the only god worshiped by jews, christans and muslims.

again the pre-islamic arabs who worshiped idols did belive that there is a God who is one an only and the supreme, the idols they worshiped were considered minor gods who are closer to Allah and they thought worshipping those idols will make them loved by the only supreme God who is Allah.

-----------------

the term is Semitic and its the closest to the Aramaic term Elohi, when Arabs pray to God and say "My God" they say "Elahi".

K. V. Ramakrishna Rao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 21:49

el-al-ala/ela/

eli-elahi-

elohim.

elohi/elahi-

allah-"al-lah".

Edited by K. V. Ramakrishna Rao
History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 23:41
lol
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 06:39
didnt the sumerians had a god named "Il ulu" ?
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 17:16
in Old english i believe "Al" means fire. so maybe he was originally a fire god?
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 14:31

Due to the rich nature of the Arabic language their are as mentioned in prior posts other names or titles for God. However 'Allah' is described as the perfect title for the Lord almighty.

Originally a fire God?

Allah is the same God as that of the Jews and the Christians.

Call him God, Allah, Jahova, Yahweh, Eloah etc God has many titles doesnt change his attributes. After all the God that the people of the book belive in is the same God of Moses (Musa), Abraham (Ibrahim), Jesus (Isa) etc.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 19:02
Originally posted by Achilles

in Old english i believe "Al" means fire. so maybe he was originally a fire god?

Obviously "al" is the definite article "the" in Arabic (simmilar to Vulgar Latin/Italian "il"). "Al-Illah" then means "the god" or rather "The God".

I've also read that is interpreted as "the one who is" but I dont know if this has some basis or is just a ranting.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 18:29
the Jews and the Christan Arabs called God Allah

Assyrians and Levantens still call God "Allah", in their prayings and daily life.

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 14:52
I think that "lah", "elo" or "ilu" is a root common to all semitic languages, meaning God. Aside from all the examples that you guys mentioned, I would add Babylon, in Akkadian Bab-ilu, or gate of the Gods. 'Bab" in this case is certainly gate, similar to Arabic (ex: Bab-el-mandab straits: the gate of tears). "Al", as Maju mentioned, means "the". Another example would be the biblical "Elohim", or "the gods".

Edited by Decebal
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 18:33
Decebal cant we add Sumerian too, i read somewhere the sumerians had a God named "Il ulu", since the word "ulu" means "holy" or maybe in sumerian "God" can taht be translated as "The God" too?

Or should i ask this to sharrukin?
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 11:33

Elohim

No. Elohim is just the plural form of "god" in Hebrew. The structure of the word changes in semitic languages when deriving new words or making it plural. For example "Etrak" means "Turks". Words are based on consonant groups such as "Trk" or "hfz". From "hfz", you can derive many words, muhafiz, muhafaza, hafiza, hafz etc. as I know.

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>