Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Ameridians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northern Ameridians
    Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 00:18

Originally posted by oktli

Hello everyone, Im new so go easy on me...With all due respect to my fellow native americans friends, I think that climate had to do a lot with the development of the North Amerindians and their cultures. I would say that the Mesoamericans had more success when it comes to architecture because they had much better climate to deal with. It is easier to work in a warm climate than in a cold one, specially if u plan to build pyramids...dont u think?

Hmm, no ... it's probably easier to do heavy work in a cool climate. You don't get exhausted so quickly and stay relatively refreshed for a long time.

The main reason is probably that the southern cultures were the ones who developed domesticated plants and agriculture early on, while its expansion north was slow (some estimate that groups like the Iroqouis and Algonkians had only been agricultural societies for about 500 years prior to European arrival, whereas in Mexico and the Yucatan, agriculture might go back before even the Olmec, several thousands of years in all). Also, there was less innovation in agricultural techniques designed to maximize production - if crops came up short for northern populations, there was plenty of other food (game and wild plants) to rely on, but southern populations faced a catastrophe if they didn't have enough food at harvest time. This meant that they needed an organized society and they were always striving to improve agricultural techniques.

You see the same thing happening in the Old World, up to a point - agriculture first happens in the Fertile Crescent, and for thousands of years, the centres of urban civilization are in the Fertile Crescent and Egypt, for more or less the same reasons.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 02:30
With all due respect Mr. Edgewaters, I have worked in construcion in cool  climates, lets say here in Chicago where I reside right now, and It's just impossible to be outside doing construction with very cold weather...
You would freeze specially in Winter...I still hold my position...its a lot better to work in summer, warm climates than in cold ones...with all due respect.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 07:00

With all due respect Mr. Edgewaters, I have worked in construcion in cool climates, lets say here in Chicago where I reside right now, and It's just impossible to be outside doing construction with very cold weather...
You would freeze specially in Winter...I still hold my position...its a lot better to work in summer, warm climates than in cold ones...with all due respect.

Well, in winter it might be a little uncomfortable, but not enough to prevent people from building large buildings (just look at the London or New York skylines, and contrast with Mexico City). Some of the most famous skyscraper ironworkers - the ones who walk the beams - are the Mohawk Iroqouis, for some reason they seem to be particularly skilled at working high up on the beams. Mohawks were prominent especially in the building of such structures as the WTC and the Empire State Building. The cold didn't stop them doing that (and it gets very very cold way up there), so it certainly wouldn't stop them from building a pyramid, if they had the desire to do that. They just didn't have any reason to - nor did they have the excess population to do so.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 01:14
Ok Mr. Edgewaters...u are the expert here...after all im just a maceualliApprove
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 01:25
Well then, you might have some cultural insights into why they did build pyramids in Mexico and the Yucatan, but it wouldn't grant any special understanding of people in more temperate climes who didn't. If people built pyramids just because it was warm, then there would be pyramids in all the warm places - South Africa, Brazil, etc. The reason the Iroqouis and others didn't build pyramids was, firstly, because they didn't stay in one spot more than 10 years at a time; second, they didn't have the manpower; third, they didn't have organized religion.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 01:29

With all due respect Mr. Edgewaters, I have worked in construcion in cool  climates, lets say here in Chicago where I reside right now, and It's just impossible to be outside doing construction with very cold weather...

I believe I agree with you. In addition to numbing your hands and feet, which makes it very difficult to be coordinated, hard work in cold weather also dries out your throat and makes it much more difficult to breathe.

-Akolouthos
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 02:16

If you've grown up in a cooler climate, you get very used to it, to the point that the difficulties that people of warmer climates have in the cold becomes almost comical. Similarly, people from cooler climates often have a very difficult time working in the heat (some Inuit for instance have been actually known to suffocate to death in temperatures no higher than 90 degrees F).

It's true that construction work often halts in the winter (more because of the contraction and expansion effect on materials than because of anything else), but that is only a few months of the year. Summer, fall, and spring are all amenable to labour.

Edited by edgewaters - 22-Jun-2006 at 02:19
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 02:24
Originally posted by edgewaters

If you've grown up in a cooler climate, you get very used to it, to the point that the difficulties that people of warmer climates have in the cold becomes almost comical. Similarly, people from cooler climates often have a very difficult time working in the heat (some Inuit for instance have been actually known to suffocate to death in temperatures no higher than 90 degrees F).

It's true that construction work often halts in the winter (more because of the contraction and expansion effect on materials than because of anything else), but that is only a few months of the year. Summer, fall, and spring are all amenable to labour.

A valid point. Whether one likes to work in the cold or the heat is definitely a matter of personal preference, which can be influenced by a host of factors. Thanks for the insight. Smile

-Akolouthos
Laine View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Laine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 04:04
I think that this discussion has focused too much on agriculture for the basis of civilization and complex societal traditions. Let's look to the Northwest coast of North America for an example of complex societies that arose completely independent of agriculture.

The Tlingits for instance subsided off the extinsive runs of Salmon in their territory. A mere three or so months out of the year was needed to produce all the food consumed during the winter and due to this surplus of food the Tlingit along with their culturally similar relatives the Haida formed a direct trade network that stretched from southeast Alaska to the northern coast of California, some Haida accounts in fact raise the possibility of a voyage to Asia prior to contact with Europeans.

The only maratime trade network that was on par with this one was in all likely hood the one that developed in the Gulf of Mexico between the Arawak and contintental Mesoamerican civilizations.

Although the tools used by Tlingits and other Northwest coast peoples did not include gold I would say that artistically speaking in terms of wood carving their development of wood working is extremely advanced.

It is also important to note that the Tlingit trade network extended into the interior of Canada as well and indeed the spread of this culture was stalled only by the arrival of the Russians to Alaska in the 1700's. Even when war broke out the Tlingits effectively limited the expansion of Russian supremacy in the region and were not effectively conquered until fairly recentely when the United States bombed the Tlingit town of Angoon in the 1800's.

Edited by Laine - 12-Jul-2006 at 04:10
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 07:23
Very interesting cultures in the northwest!

The only pre-columbian groups to really engage in naval warfare. Technically sophisticated in some ways too. A Tlingit warrior in full gear:

Wooden helm and underneath his coat, a breastplate of slat armour.

They were very savvy traders and quickly got the hang of European fighting methods (though there was little actual conflict). For instance, in 1795 the British vessel Union fired its cannon at one Haida village in retaliation for the loss of a few men in a battle at sea; to their suprise, the Haida returned fire! They had captured some cannons from a US schooner some time before and quickly deduced their operation.

Also, the West Coast natives quickly deduced the sail upon witnessing European ships for the first time. Some of the surviving canoes from that period featured masts and sails.

A reconstruction of such vessels has been made:

(Edited to put a working link to Tlingit warrior pic)

Edited by edgewaters - 14-Jul-2006 at 18:22
Laine View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Laine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 10:28

Quite impressive indeed, I can recall 3 times that the Tlingits defeated European powers in major battles.

Prior to the first Battle of Sitka the Tlingit destroyed another fort in the northern reaches of their territory. The destruction of a major British trading post in the interior of Canada.

Then you have the two battles of Sitka where the Tlingits first routed the Russians. Afterwards they set up their own fortress and held out for days. Although the Russians would later claim victory it took many days and they had to sustain a few loses themselves. I read a funny account where after extensive bombing of the Tlingit fortress with little return fire the Tlingit once the bombing had ceased would run outside the fortress, collect any cannon balls that could be reused and then fired them back at the Russian forces.
Bonde View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Bonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 11:39
Is the natives that lived at Haida in 1795 really Tlingit? I would personally say that those who returned fire against the British vessel Union was the Haida native people and not the Tlingit. Or have I understand this wrongly?
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 13:50
Originally posted by Bonde

Is the natives that lived at Haida in 1795 really Tlingit? I would personally say that those who returned fire against the British vessel Union was the Haida native people and not the Tlingit. Or have I understand this wrongly?

It was the Haida that returned fire at the Union, as I mentioned. (" ...in 1795 the British vessel Union fired its cannon at one Haida village .... to their suprise, the Haida returned fire!")

I'm just painting a general picture of native culture in the northwest, as I outlined in the first sentence, using examples from both cultures.

Edited by edgewaters - 26-Jul-2006 at 13:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123