Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buddha statue in Egypt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
K. V. Ramakrishna Rao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buddha statue in Egypt
    Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 20:39

I find a Buddha statue in one of the temples of Egypt. It is given below. If anyone could explain how it is there, what is its significance etc., I would be very much obliged.

K. V. Ramakrishna Rao.

History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
AlokaParyetra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 22:19
I hope i don't sound stupid by asking, but how can you tell it is buddha?
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 22:34

I would also like more information on how people have decided that this is a "Buddha statue."

-Akolouthos

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 22:53

I have been looking at this image on and off about an hour, and I think what your seeing is an optical effect caused by a frontal view that is poorly lit, the heavy shadows are distorting the head area.

All of this is made worse by the poor quality of the image. If you know the site this is from you might try to find a better shot and I think you will see what I mean.

I didn't see anything unusual  in the styling of the piece. What I did see was a badly vandalized face which you can barely make out due to the poor quality image. 

Edited by red clay
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
K. V. Ramakrishna Rao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 23:54

The picture is taken from a CD sold by tabu group.

The narrator of the CD says that it is a Buddha statue. If you doubt the source - contact the following.

They have a website: www.tabugroup-tg.com

e-mail: info@tabagrouptg.com

K. V. Ramakrishna Rao.

History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 10:54

KV-

your link isn't working.

It's not that I doubt anyone KV, with an image as bad as this you can't be sure of anything.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 12:06
The silk road between ancient Egypt and ancient China was well established and an awful lot of early Chinese art shows an egyptian influence. I doubt it's Buddha, unless it postdates his existence. Otherwise it's an egyptian diety that statues of which passed along the silf road and Chinese learnt the art style from.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 13:03
Well, the skirt is at least typically Egyptian and so is the hieratic statue. Why would him be Buddha and not just a common or divinized Egyptian John Doe. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 05:12
Well I can't tell if its a Buddha or not. But it could be I suppose. During the Macedonian period (after Alexanders conquests) Greeks and Buddhists in Pakistan/Afghanistan mixed and blended their culture. It is possible I think that Pakistani/Afghani Greeko-Buddhist culture spread into Greek Egypt.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 07:38

My first thought, dam that skirt is fake if you see it with an eye of a designer you could find what I am saying!

Zoomed to 700%. Check this out...

Look at the lower point, there is also another thing maybe type of a skirt.
You can compare it with the statues beside it, check there skirts and then check the one on statue.

So finaly I would like to say that's (in my point of view) definitly not Buddha as you can compare it with the original statue of Buddha in Bamyan Afghanistan.

Check his dressing in here, he's got a kind of Shawl over him, where as he is top bared in that picture.

So I guess this is just a myth nothing else...

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 10:48
The skirt is not fake: it's the typical male skirt of Egyptians. That's the main reason to say it's merely a Egyptian statue. But in times that people see Virgin Mary on a toast or the humdities in the wall...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 15:32

I spent time looking around the net and also did
some digging in some of my own "stuff", I think that
the statue in question is one of those androgynous
likenesses that Amenhotep III had made portraying
himself as the kinder, gentler pharoh.
      People have for years been trying to tie them in
with everything from the cult of nothingness to the
idea that buddism predates all religion, or
something like that. The new age movement has
attempted to show a connection with christ and
buddha by finding depictions of christ with stylized
hair etc.
Unknown.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 16:23

Originally posted by Maju

The skirt is not fake: it's the typical male skirt of Egyptians. That's the main reason to say it's merely a Egyptian statue. But in times that people see Virgin Mary on a toast or the humdities in the wall...

@Gharanai i think the region below your red mark is the shape of the skirt. nothing faked.

Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 18:01

Originally posted by Gharanai

So finaly I would like to say that's (in my point of view) definitly not Buddha as you can compare it with the original statue of Buddha in Bamyan Afghanistan.

Check his dressing in here, he's got a kind of Shawl over him, where as he is top bared in that picture.

So I guess this is just a myth nothing else...

I am not sure about the Egyptian statue being Budhha's.

As far as I know the topic 'who was the original Budhha' is debatable.So it won't be wise to say that an original Budhha statue exists.Budhha has been depicted in various forms in different countries and cultures.Forming conclusions about a statue being Budhha's based on attire isn't wise either.

Below are some pics of Budhha statues,in different attires and postures.

Unfortunately Bamyan Budhha Statue has been smashed.Which is a loss for history.

Edited by Apples n Oranges
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 22:32
All the above pictures are quite different. So I think that the only way you can tell if something is a buddha or not, is if it is meant to be a buddha or not.

Lets face if Buddha was a Gujarati so he wouldn't have had chinky eyes.

Post Reply Post Reply