Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iran, get nukes fast!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iran, get nukes fast!
    Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 05:52

Denial of ethnic identity?They are not Turks,they are Muslims of different origin.There are Muslim Gypsies,Muslim Pomacs(the vast majority) and only a small portion of Muslims are actuall Turks.But of course,all these are small details to you,since every one who speaks Turkish is Turk,according to your own pethatic logic.

Restrictions on freedom of speech?There are numerous newspapers written in Turkish  and children go to specific schools provided by the Hellenic State in order to learn Turkish.Now,whether they go or not,that's a parent's issue.Moreover,Muslims of Thrace worship Allah FREELY in their mosques.Not to mention that the Muslim minority of Thrace has it's own representative in the Hellenic Parliament ,who is also a muslim.There is also a Gypsy representative.Not to mention,that if you go to komotini,in the Turkish neighbourhoud you will find that all the stores,except of Hellenic have also Turkish signs.Not to mention that when i went to the bazaar of Xanthi,i could hear every language you want,including Turkish of course,except of Hellenic.I do not know if this can be characterized as a  a restriction on freedom of speech.And a bazaar is a public place......not to mention that Muslim women can freely wear their veil in public .And more.....

forced deprivation of citizenship?.You are living in a wrong era.Hellenic dictatorial goverment fell in 1974.Every one who is born in Hellenic soil, automatically becomes a Hellen citizen.The citizenship cannot be "deprived" so easily in a democratic State like Hellas.In Turkey maybe yes,but Hellas has democratic laws and a democratic constitution which protect the citizen .Not mention that many Muslim Hellens of Western Thrace go to Hellenic universities in Thessaloniki.

Not to mention the characteristic phrase of the Turkish prime minister in his last visit in Western Thrace "You are Hellen citizens".

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 20:27
Originally posted by Spartakus

What abuses?

denial of ethnic identity, banning civic organizations of the minority, persecution of individuals belonging to the minority, forced deprivation of citizenship, intereference in the religois affairs of the minority, police surveilance, restrictions on freedom of speech, ...

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/greece/Greec991-06.htm#P225_ 36797

Edited by bg_turk
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 19:32

What abuses?Are you going to start another pointless flaming discussion about the Chams or the Muslim Minority of Thrace?We overtalked about this one bizillion times.

You have not been persuaded by past arguments?You want a new argument to the past arguments?Open a new topic so it can be discussed.Your trolling  here is unecessary.

--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 19:19

Originally posted by Cunctator

It is only the direct application of US influence on the EU that led to Turkey being invited to begin accession talks, because no European country wants them to join.

Aren't you overstating the influence of the US over the EU? With anti-Americanism rising around the EU I would say US support for Turkey actually had precisely the opposite effect - it made Turkey seem like a US Troyan horse. Besides if Turkey is to ever become a member of the EU it will be because of the interests of EU states, not American influence.

It was the US who protected the Kurds after the first Gulf War and pushed the UN into authorising the no fly zone over northern Iraq.

And it protected them with Turkish authorization. The no-fly zone was enforced from the Turkish base in Incirlik.

(By the way, at that time, Ankara would have been quite happy to just watch all the Kurdish refugees in the north starve on its borders rather than let them in. )

Aren't you a bit unfair here? Turkey did accept and let in many  Kurdish refugees during Saddam's brutal reign and particulary the Halabja massacres. I do not think the starving of Kurdish refugees on the border was intentional. It is very hard to deal with humanitarian disasters of such scales - take the example of Albanian refugees to Macedonia during the Yugoslav campaign, only that the Turkish southeast is far poorer.

By the way, Leonardo, not all Kurds are PKK, but Turkish policy towards the Kurdish people has certainly helped the PKK recruiting efforts.

I agree with you. As a member of a minority myself I too find the Turkish policies against Turkish citizens of Kurdish origin unacceptable. In this respect I support the EU's attitude regarding the issue of minorities. I only wish that the EU did not only focus on Turkey, but paid some attention to the abuses in current EU member states like Greece for instance.

Pacifist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Pacifist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Originally posted by Pacifist

Originally posted by LeonardoTurco

"it is you insulting me and the whole Turkish population at large, who are a honnorable people".

We Turks are no more "honourable" than other people.  And I totally disagree with you saying that we love other cultures and have no prejudice against them. This can't be farther from the truth. Most Turks hate Israel (anti-semitism in Turkey is widespread for example) and the West. We are certainly not less prejudiced towards other cultures than Westerners or other people - we all have our good and bad sides..

Well said that! Once we all acknowledge our flaws we can start fixing them. If we ignore them, or even deny them, they grow.

-Akolouthos

Exactly buddy. You can't change what you don't acknowledge, like Dr. Phil says...

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:27
Originally posted by Pacifist

"it is you insulting me and the whole Turkish population at large, who are a honnorable people".

We Turks are no more "honourable" than other people.  And I totally disagree with you saying that we love other cultures and have no prejudice against them. This can't be farther from the truth. Most Turks hate Israel (anti-semitism in Turkey is widespread for example) and the West. We are certainly not less prejudiced towards other cultures than Westerners or other people - we all have our good and bad sides..

Well said that! Once we all acknowledge our flaws we can start fixing them. If we ignore them, or even deny them, they grow.

-Akolouthos

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:03

"we all have our good and bad sides."

Most certainly yes.

Pacifist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Pacifist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 17:45

Edited by Pacifist

LeonardoTurco View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote LeonardoTurco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 08:12
btw this news article might be of interest to the subject:

'US to Pressure Turkey in Case of a War on Iran'
By Cihan News Agency
Published: Friday, April 14, 2006
zaman.com

The US will put great pressure on Turkey, especially on the Turkish army, to lend its support in the eventuality of a US war on Iran, said Seymour Hersh, the Pulitzer Award winning journalist of the New Yorker magazine.

Speaking to the Turkish private NTV channel in Washington, Hersh commented on the possibilities and effects of a US war on Iran.

Hersh claimed that such a war would drag Turkey into instability, as it would the rest of the world. He said there was even a possibility of a civil war which would inflame the Kurdish problem. Hersh said that in case of a war on Iran, the US would request Turkey and the Turkish army to do what the majority of the Turkish people would not support.

"There will be a critical question for Turkey as well as for other countries in the Middle East - i.e. On which side are you?" remarked Hersh.

http://www.zaman.com/?bl=hotnews&alt=&trh=20060414&a mp;hn=32050

APRIL 23 National Sovereignty & Children's day: peace at home, peace in the world.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote LeonardoTurco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 07:54
Thanks for your participations, you've all been helpfull for my desire to know you better, and as a certain truth emanates from a dialogue, I've heard enough to draw my own conclusion. I have not had the time to read the last couple of contributions but I will read them.

May peace reign the world and all countries enjoy sovereignty.

Regards.

APRIL 23 National Sovereignty & Children's day: peace at home, peace in the world.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 23:34

cunctator- Nicely said, thank you.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 14:05

Akolouthos,

I wouldn't get too upset by anything Leonardo writes here -- much of it is silly and is probably just venting. When he writes this: "You killed innocent people in Iraq and Cyprus, treat Kurds and Cypriots like subhumans, you provoked civil war, in fact you are yourself the demon you try to portray others," you cannot take him very seriously. This is coming from the self-appointed spokesman for a country that is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Armenians, tens of thousands of Kurds, and is slowly "cleansing" itself of the last ethnic Greeks in Istanbul/Constantinople.

I understand the Turkish position in Cyprus ("no more Cretes" Rauf Denktas used to say), and their concern about Kurdish autonomy in northern Iraq, but the rest is just ranting. No country has supported Turkey more in the last 60 years than the US. It is only the direct application of US influence on the EU that led to Turkey being invited to begin accession talks, because no European country wants them to join. When, during the Iraq war, only the US cared enough about Turkish security (despite Ankara's atrocious behaviour) to push NATO into taking action to honour its defence treaty. It was the US who protected the Kurds after the first Gulf War and pushed the UN into authorising the no fly zone over northern Iraq. (By the way, at that time, Ankara would have been quite happy to just watch all the Kurdish refugees in the north starve on its borders rather than let them in. ) By the way, Leonardo, not all Kurds are PKK, but Turkish policy towards the Kurdish people has certainly helped the PKK recruiting efforts.

Earlier, I used the word "silly" with reason. Any Turk who implies that his homeland has a better record as a defender of human rights than the US or just about any Western country is just oblivious to history. The Ottoman Empire/Republic of Turkey have fascinating histories, but let's not bend facts.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 13:17

Akalouthos,

I hope you approached your sources and documents with care and hold a honest mind.
Also, you should relativise your position, because history is never completely objective.

Independently from the truthness of your allegations, it would really be more fruitfull to make a human connection with Turkish people, instead of seeing them from a political point of vieuw.
I criticised the United States for concrete things you do now and which has direct consequences to Turkey. Your defense to my critics are out of place allegations of historic evennements, and I especially felt sad for your hint of support for PKK, whom is the terrorist organisation who kill civilians today in Turkey.
While I do realise it would be wiser for me to choose a softer voice and not get caught in rhetoric trap, I'm in peace with my concience and the essense of my messages.

As for your addendum, you completely misinterpreted my intentions, I was hoping that you'd come with some legitimate defence to your position because what interests me is to understand you better, rather then making a point. The discussion bordered the ridiculous with your reply however my questions are partly answered: You found no legitime  answer.

Hmm, so let me get this straight:

I am supposed "to make a human connection with Turkish people," not see "them from a political point of vieuw." Meanwhile, in a galaxy far, far away, you "criticised the United States for concrete things you do now and which has direct consequences to Turkey," or...dare I say it...looked at the U.S. from a political point of view?

By the way, I never stated, hinted, or implied support for the PKK, a terrorist organization. Sympathy with the Kurds as a general ethnic group does not equate to sympathy with terrorist fringe groups. You brought up the issue of xenophobia (which, unfortunately, is present in every nation to some degree). I simply used the Kurds, Greeks, Cypriots, and Armenians as examples of Turkey's own xenophobic problems. Once again, every nation in this world has its own ethnic problems.

As for my Addendum, I believe it accurately portrays the insulting--and blindly nationalistic--nature of your initial post. Allow me to illustrate:

In other words the citizen has no say in Turkey? When the citizens of the United States protested Turkey's invasion of Cyprus, and later opposed the influx of Turkish troops into Northern Iraq the Turkish government ignored them. If you were against the war, did you protest? Why did it not change anything? Your president was elected by Turkish citizens yet he has the power to decide for the Middle East.

America is your ally yet your army has betrayed us in Iraq and Cyprus. You killed innocent people in Iraq and Cyprus, treat Kurds and Cypriots like subhumans, you provoked civil war, in fact you are yourself the demon you try to portray others. Civilians have to go through suffering because of your aggressive foreign policy. Perhaps some Turks think it is good for them because they like tiny puppet regimes don't they. Are you still proud to be part of such a country?

You may not have thought about it before, you don't have to continue suffering and paying taxes in a country that supports silly wars.

I invite you to relieve yourself from further embarassment and to  take your family with you in exile to one country that stands by good principles: America. The beautiful country rich in culture with sweet people. Give your kids their chance to grow up to become honorable and lucky able to call themselves Americans! What Turks and Americans have in common is that they're not xenophobic and are a people with hope who want to build a better future so you'll feel at home unlike in some other destinations.

Offended yet? This is what your initial post would look like if you switched the names "America" and "Turkey," and then brought up some nationalistic issues relevant to that part of the world. Of course what this amounts to is a nationalistic diatribe. I hope you can see it in the edited statement above, if so, can you not see how insulting your initial post can appear to many Americans?

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 12:05

Answer: They all wanted to be seen as either superior (Italian example) or the legitime successors to prestigious Eastern Roman emprors (Charlemagne) or making their own the prestige of other culture (portret under Art of Triumf).

A far more probable reason for architectural elements being transferred is that people simply thought they looked cool, grandeur, beautiful or whatever.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 12:04

This is a widespread practice and not typical American. I will give you an example in Europe:
Why can you find taken out of context pieces of Ancient Greek tombs built into the buildings of some Italian cities? Or did Italian take pagan elements to the iconography of new Rome? Why were Kings often portreted under an Arc of Triumf even if the Arc is not part of their culture? Why did Charlemagne seek to reintroduce classical elements in architecture, and make the church in his palace look like the the churches in Constantinople? 
Answer: They all wanted to be seen as either superior (Italian example) or the legitime successors to prestigious Eastern Roman emprors (Charlemagne) or making their own the prestige of other culture (portret under Art of Triumf).
Before you were making it sound as though the US had no vision in architecture. But it seems you understand we only use the Classical look for Government buildings. So then we agree here, every nation tries to make their Government buildings look important.

Of course you don't have to take any of what I say for truth and this is not what I seek. But perhaps you can think of this next time you see those architectural elements.
No American claims it as our own style. I believe we learned in school when we would discuss how the ancient world impacted the present.

I don't understand why you think Americans have claim to the Classical look.

Well, appart from your monumental neo-classic architecture, you have the Statue of Liberty which I think makes a reference to the Colossus of Rhodes
Again, Americans didn't design the Statue. It was done by the French and it was to represent "Lady Liberty". I don't think it had to do anything with the Colossus. The French went through many designs from what I understand. It was a gift to us from France, it represents liberty and to the immigrants of the past a new hope when they came into the harbor on their way to Ellis Island.

Though it's a known symbol of the US, I believe Americans recognize it more of a symbol of New York.

The United States thinks it owns liberty and democracy but you forget you used another culture's reference!
We believe that we support Freedom and Liberty(well Bush seems to be killing that idea....). Anyways, how does cultural reference effect what we believe we should be fighting for? What we believe (Freedom and Liberty) represents our nation? The call to arms we took in the War of Independence are those. And that was way before we got a statue or anything else that is artificial that you claim we got our ideas and inspiration for Freedom and Liberty.

It's America and it's people that represent those. They are embodied in us because thats what we believe in more then anything. It seems rediculous to me that you claim everything the US is supposed to represent is just artificial. It's not, it's what we fought for to become independent!

Though I will say this, it seems the Politicians have lost the ideals of what the US used to represent. But I guess you could argued that we fought the war to give Iraqi's freedom from a oppressor, but I think it has to do with all money and not our past ideals... Which to me is pretty sad.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Janissary
Janissary

Quote LeonardoTurco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 11:08
Now why did I say this if it's not typical American.  Well, appart from your monumental neo-classic architecture, you have the Statue of Liberty which I think makes a reference to the Colossus of Rhodes. The United States thinks it owns liberty and democracy but you forget you used another culture's reference!

Janissary
Janissary

Quote LeonardoTurco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 10:47
Of course you don't have to take any of what I say for truth and this is not what I seek. But perhaps you can think of this next time you see those architectural elements.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote LeonardoTurco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 10:42
SearchAndDestroy

While I value your contributions as you let me understand your perspective, (thanks for your being serious and sincere) I can't afford to answer all your post now and I think these discussions  are not supposed to last this long and to border the ridiculous like it has with me and Akalouthos.

I will elaborate briefly on the use of architecture as a tool for legitimising your authority, which I think you partly answered.  Every authority wants to be regarded as 'official',  meaning  they're 'legitime', architecture as a form of making your own another culture's prestige.

This is a widespread practice and not typical American. I will give you an example in Europe:
Why can you find taken out of context pieces of Ancient Greek tombs built into the buildings of some Italian cities? Or did Italian take pagan elements to the iconography of new Rome? Why were Kings often portreted under an Arc of Triumf even if the Arc is not part of their culture? Why did Charlemagne seek to reintroduce classical elements in architecture, and make the church in his palace look like the the churches in Constantinople? 

Edited by LeonardoTurco

Janissary
Janissary

Quote LeonardoTurco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 09:23
Akalouthos,

I hope you approached your sources and documents with care and hold a honest mind.
Also, you should relativise your position, because history is never completely objective.

Independently from the truthness of your allegations, it would really be more fruitfull to make a human connection with Turkish people, instead of seeing them from a political point of vieuw.
I criticised the United States for concrete things you do now and which has direct consequences to Turkey. Your defense to my critics are out of place allegations of historic evennements, and I especially felt sad for your hint of support for PKK, whom is the terrorist organisation who kill civilians today in Turkey.
While I do realise it would be wiser for me to choose a softer voice and not get caught in rhetoric trap, I'm in peace with my concience and the essense of my messages.

As for your addendum, you completely misinterpreted my intentions, I was hoping that you'd come with some legitimate defence to your position because what interests me is to understand you better, rather then making a point. The discussion bordered the ridiculous with your reply however my questions are partly answered: You found no legitime  answer.
[QUOTE=Akolouthos]

Edited by LeonardoTurco

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 11:54

I'm really confused, why are you saying we have a huge ego? I'll admit we do sometimes, mostly in sports or about our military, but I don't think US citizens think they are better or superior then anyone. Atleast I never heard that. Many Americans are very proud of their ancestral backround which comes from all around the world.

And what do you mean Americans claim we are the heirs to Greek civilization? While more Americans would probably be able to point out Greece then Turkey, I highly doubt they know anything about Greek History, nevermind architecture. I think in sixth grade we talked about a few ancient civilizations and then moved on. History and geography is not something big in the US and students don't think it's essential. Sorry if it upsets you that Americans can't find Turkey, but to be honest is has nothing to do with ego's.

European artists who flee for WOII who all contributed to innovate a truly original identity. e.g. in architecture. 
We started using Classical Architecture, like that of ancient Greece way before WW2. And I believe this influence came from the British who used it in their Architecture way back. It has nothing to do with us trying to claim any Culture, but was done to make the Government buildings to look for official I guess you could say.

Since you're so ignorant of Turks, which is the result of bad education, you're so easily mislead by what cinema shows you, who portray Turks as ugly and terrorists, hatefull press associating Turks with genocide, rapers, invaders, oppressors of ethnic minorities, etc, you become hatefull without you're even realising it. I read things that I find truly insulting but you don't understand what is the matter.
Why are you getting so personal? Why does it even matter whether Americans can find Turkey on the map or not?

And what are you talking about Americans portraying Turks as evil? I think there was one movie where Turks were portrayed bad, or atleast thats the only one I heard, "Midnight Express" I think it is. I never saw and only heard about it on these message boards. The only movie I saw with Turks is "Murder on the Orient Express", which if I remember right, the Turks weren't even the bad guys in it. Other then that I don't remember seeing any other form of media about Turks.

You're the world's most powerfull country but you need cultures around the world to enrich you and breezes of fresh air because you can't recreate what people have done during thousands of years. 
lol Why are you trying to down play the US so much? Like I said, I'm sorry if Turkey isn't well known amongst Americans, but it's not because they have such huge "EGO's", it's that the American system doesn't put history first. Americans don't even know their own history, which is part of the reason why people see us as having huge Ego's, they think we win every war we went and go into because our history isn't studied and very few Americans keep up with current events.

You think you're 'most civilised' and the legitimate inheritors of Ancient Greeks with your official buildings a la Greca and Statue of Liberty
Well I believe most Americans know the Statue of Liberty was built by France and given a gift to us. And most Americans don't really think much of it, it's usually considered a Icon of New York.

But to me you're more like a little fish that comes out of the water and sees the world for the first time.
Well I don't think the Americans, or us "little fish" really care to even "get out of the water" to see the world to the first time. Americans are leaving little time for themselves as time goes on, becoming work aholics. Alot of Americans get one to three weeks of vacation time every year and the number of Americans that take this time is constantly shrinking. They are starting to work later and are even working on weekends. Obviously alot of Young Americans could careless about whats outside of their own "world", and Adults who should be more concerned with politics and current affairs are having less time for even themselves.

I think education has alot to do with it, and with Bush's no child left behind program, schools are cutting our history further back to make way for math, literature, and science I believe. So it seems our History courses are only going to be getting worse.

And not to knock on you Turks, but you guys are always claiming a bunch of histories of your own, always saying how great your military is and the US should never mess with you Turks(or atleast I read this a few times in threads about the Iraqi war). And then in here your telling me that Americans are claiming histories and cultures of other civilizations? Now I'm not denying that maybe you Turks are telling the truth, but if you read these boards, and there are alot of Americans, you'd see we don't claim anyones history, and that we are proud of ourshort history as it is.  If you read our messages, you'd see that we all disagree and agree with certain issues. We even put down parts of our government all the time. That sounds hardly like we have a ego. I don't even think we say that we are superior to anyone else outside of Military, and thats only with a few countries, where we debate whether we can take on larger countries or not.

The reason Americans don't know much about other countires outside of North America is because, in away it doesn't concern Americans. They want to work and have fun if they have the time. Americans are more concerned with cars and sports it seems then politics and history.

Edited by SearchAndDestroy
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>