Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fav Metal band and songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
doom boy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doom boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fav Metal band and songs
    Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 08:17

what is every ones fav metal band and song???

mine fav band is slipknot

my fav song is my plague

i am the dragon reborn
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 20:21
My favorite metal band is Dream Theater.  Song by them is a tie between "Metropolis Pt. I: The Dreamer and the Sleeper" and "The Glass Prison."
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 21:58

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 22:07

Originally posted by Dark Age

Meshuggah's music is awesome!  However, I can't stand the screaming Cookie-Monster vocals.  I wish there was an instrumental jam band that played with the same style and heaviness as Meshuggah; that I could get into!

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 03:13
Byzantine, of course!

Byzantine is a thrash/groove metal band hailing from Charleston, WV, who also have a few Meshuggah influences. They formed in 2000 and are currently signed to Prosthetic Records, and have released two full length albums.(Wikipedia)

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 18:43

Originally posted by Komnenos

Byzantine, of course!

Byzantine is a thrash/groove metal band hailing from Charleston, WV, who also have a few Meshuggah influences. They formed in 2000 and are currently signed to Prosthetic Records, and have released two full length albums.(Wikipedia)

Cool!  I will check them out.  Have you heard any of their music?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 18:54

Well, I just listened to some sound samples and it is more of the same thing: Cookie-Monster vocals.  The "singer's" singing sounded like he was puking his guts up.  No matter how cool the music is, if the singer screams the whole time it ruins it for me.  What a waste of the name "Byzantine."

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 10:39
Himsa. It is thrash or metalcore, don't know exactly. I just bought their new album "Hail horror".

Bleed the Sky. Metalcore

And the last and the most: LAMB OF GOD (thrash metal)
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 16:59
Whats everybodys guess on Slayer? Just thought that nobody has never spoken of them much, or at all here. Right now "Reign in blood" is pounding from my computer speakers and i am really under a sort of spell. I don't know what it is, maybe the lyrics which aren't too difficult to understand but are vicious enough but not blatand and superficial.
Its just so bloody fast and catchy, and Araya is the vocals, really a great frontman.
Maybe these are childish reasons to love a band, but what isn't, and who doesn't love a band for these reasons. Also the message of the songs on the last album of theirs "God hates us all" is destructively effective - "Payback" , "Cast down" , "Disciple" etc. Poetry in its greatest.

And also, a cliche question about "Angel of death". What is your opinion on that. Just want to see if prejudice has remained on that topic.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 17:21

The band is Riverside.

The song is The Curtain Falls.

Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 17:08
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

Whats everybodys guess on Slayer? Just thought that nobody has never spoken of them much, or at all here. Right now "Reign in blood" is pounding from my computer speakers and i am really under a sort of spell. I don't know what it is, maybe the lyrics which aren't too difficult to understand but are vicious enough but not blatand and superficial.
Its just so bloody fast and catchy, and Araya is the vocals, really a great frontman.
Maybe these are childish reasons to love a band, but what isn't, and who doesn't love a band for these reasons. Also the message of the songs on the last album of theirs "God hates us all" is destructively effective - "Payback" , "Cast down" , "Disciple" etc. Poetry in its greatest.

And also, a cliche question about "Angel of death". What is your opinion on that. Just want to see if prejudice has remained on that topic.

I was about thirteen when these albums came out in '86...:
1.    Metallica - Master of Puppets
2.    Megadeth - Peace Sells...but Who's Buying
3.    Anthrax - Among the Living 
4.    Exodus - Bonded by Blood, and
5.    Slayer - Reign in Blood

Needless to say, it was an eye-opening year for heavy music!

"Reign in Blood" is probably one of my all-time favorite metal albums.  I've seen them live on several occasions and the intensity is bar-none.  From the first row to the concession stand, the entire venue erupts when Slayer takes the stage, almost like a staged riot.  And as a guitar player of 25 years, I can attest to the sheer brutality of Slayer's riffs.  Not to mention the music is fun to play on guitar, if you're fast enough.

I'm not sure what prejudice, if any, people have against "Angel of Death."  The song is twenty(!) years old now and still sounds great.  It's just music, folks.  The real crazy beliefs are still found in books.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 18:23
Well yes, its just music, but "Angel of death" has a bloody meaning to it. And i find it constantly, repetetively annoying how the meaning can be made the exact opposite then it is in reality, bah, claustrophobic.
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 17:58

Well yes, its just music, but "Angel of death" has a bloody meaning to it. And i find it constantly, repetetively annoying how the meaning can be made the exact opposite then it is in reality, bah, claustrophobic.

Well, obviously, a sign of good writing is to be clear and concise.  Sometimes, in the standard form of modern music, it's proven difficult to make lyrics clear enough so as not to obscure the true "meaning" or theme of the song.  In other words, some times it's difficult to determine whose side the writer is on.  That said, I feel an even deeper meaning is accomplished, as I know the intent of this particular lyricist.

It is indeed "bloody" in meaning, but not in a way that glorifies the subject, but in the same way Lamarque's All Quiet on the Western Front, Kosinski's Painted Bird, and Weisel's Night has a "bloody" meaning.   I would call it...not "bloody," but definitely a "brutal truth."
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2006 at 18:01
By the way, for anyone who is interested, the new Tool album will be out on May 2.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 15:16
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Originally posted by Komnenos

Byzantine, of course! Byzantine is a thrash/groove metal band hailing from Charleston, WV, who also have a few Meshuggah influences. They formed in 2000 and are currently signed to Prosthetic Records, and have released two full length albums.(Wikipedia)

Cool! I will check them out. Have you heard any of their music?

I have indeed. Just one song and that was enough. Metal is not my cup of tea. Just put that one in for a laugh.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 15:21
Tool? That colured guy in his underpants? I have never bothered to listen to that band. As far as i can see it is a type of alternative metal for intelligent people.

What is it really like, any comparance to another band?
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 23:03
Led Zep, such a good band. Favorite song is called "The Immigrant" and "black dog"
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 09:49
Led Zepellin, but especially Guns n Roses. Axl Rose really put a lot of work on every song, and they are a lot more musically complex than one would think.
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 22:42

Tool? That colured guy in his underpants? I have never bothered to listen to that band. As far as i can see it is a type of alternative metal for intelligent people.

What is it really like, any comparance to another band?

I would consider Tool in a "progressive metal" category, but they are not as serious as their image portrays.  They don't really sound like anyone else, but I can hear bands like King Crimson in their music style.
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 22:47
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Led Zep, such a good band. Favorite song is called "The Immigrant" and "black dog"

I would say that most Zeppelin songs are worth listening to.  The DVD is fantastic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>