Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions on the Greek language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on the Greek language
    Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 20:19

Hi, how is everyone doing?

I have a couple questions reguarding the Greek language.

First, I realize that there are many ways to say the. There is (sorry I do not have greek script on this computer) tin, to, ta, stin, and sto(perhaps  more). I do have ambitions of learning the greek language, but it would seem to be hard to know exactly when to use these different uses of the. Do you have any "hints" as you could say to a greek learner? 

And also I have another question, what if I did not put the in this sentence. Instead of ime apo tin afstralia, i simply said  ime apo afstralia.  What kind of sense would that make to a greek speaker? Thanks for your help.

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 01:02
Hi ygrek and welcome to AE.
I'll start from your second question which is the easy one. Ime apo tin Afstralia is more correct, but ime apo Afstralia is also ok. In fact, in everyday discussions, Greeks use both forms for such expressions. For example one can say ime apo Athena (Athens).

As for your first question, there are indeed many ways to say the and I understand your confusion.
There are three things that you should know in order to use the correct form of the:
1) Whether the word that follows the "the" is masculine, feminine or neuter. For example ime apo ton Canada (the word Canada is masculine), ime apo tin Austria (Austria is feminine) or ime apo to Monaco (neuter).
2) Whether the word that follows the "the" is singular or plural. E.g. the houses are... = ta spitia ine... (plural and neuter).
3) The grammatical case (for an English speaker this would be a nightmare...)

The words stin and sto means to the or in the, depends on the sentence. For example, I live is Austria = zo stin Austria, I am going to the city = pao stin poli. Again, stin is feminine, ston is masculine and sto is neuter.

I know, I didn't give you many hints, but it's not easy to do so. The most important things are to know the "gender" of the words and the grammatical cases. And something to make you feel "better": If you say to a greek speaker: ime apo tin Afstralia or ime apo to Afstralia or ime apo ti Afstralia, he will undertand what you mean
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 13:00
It's very difficult for a foreigner not to make mistakes in this field. The articles in the greek language are various with different meaning. You should study the greek grammar if you wanna have a clear idea about them.
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 04:07
Are there any hints for finding out the "gender" of the words we encounter in Greek?
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 09:39

Originally posted by kotumeyil

Are there any hints for finding out the "gender" of the words we encounter in Greek?

Mainly from the endings.

Edited by dorian
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 18:41
A few examples, please
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 18:46
Male" words in nominative-singular generally end in -s
female" in -i,-a
neutral in -o
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 19:59
Originally posted by kotumeyil

A few examples, please

For nouns: most common endings in nominative case - singular:
Masculine: -os,  -is [ης],  -as
Feminine:  -a,  -i [-η]
Neuter:  -o,  -i [ι],  -a

For adjectives, again nominative - singular, most common endings:
Masculine: -os
Feminine:   -i [-η]
Neuter:  -o
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 20:08
thanks
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 21:08
Do you know any Greek words kotumeyil?
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 06:47
There is no rule to follow so as to determine the gender of the nouns.The best way is to open a dictionary and learn them by heart as you would have done if you had tried to learn German.
It is true that there are endings-those mentioned above-to determine the gender.Most of the times these endings can guide you.But sometimes they do not show the gender of the noun.
For example the words atraktos,akanthos,imiselinos are all feminin despte the fact that they end in -os.
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 11:49

Originally posted by Neoptolemos

Vre Kerata! Vre dayyus! Vre malaka!

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 14:30
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

Are you tokin to me?? LOL
What is dayyus?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 16:21

ohooo vre komshi this list can continiue forever.

vre pezevengis, tsvatsiz, hajvanis, ai siktir,  imambajildis

few days ago ive visited my Greek-friends restaurant, i checked the menu while i whas reading i saw imambajildis on the list couldnt stop laughing for a while...
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 16:32
Originally posted by DayI

few days ago ive visited my Greek-friends restaurant, i checked the menu while i whas reading i saw imambajildis on the list couldnt stop laughing for a while...

What's imambajildi in Turkish (if it means anything)?
BTW, did you try the food? It's good stuff!
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 16:40

imambayildi = imambajildis same food  
i did laugh for the name, imambajildis, they added that -is on the back but forgot to change imam to papaz
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 17:07

imambayildi = imambajildis same food  
i did laugh for the name, imambajildis, they added that -is on the back but forgot to change imam to papaz

forgot to change imam to papaz I can't stop laughing

By the way, it is pappas, not papaz.
And actually, in Greece the name of the food is imam bayildi, not bayildis. At least that's how I know it.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 17:42

I know a few Greek words and sentences at the preliminary level. For example:

O Neoptolomeos  ehi ena aftokinito

By the way, imambayildi means "The imam liked it very much (because it was so delicious)"

finikis View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote finikis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2006 at 20:33
You greeks dont know your one of the most popular foods is Imam's favorite.This is amazing for  imam.I am sure if he was here he would like much more.

imamcokbayıldis
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 11:01

What does "dayyus" mean?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>