Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Late Byzantine chant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late Byzantine chant
    Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 00:08
Does anyone know if there are any accessible recordings of Byzantine chant from specifically the late period (13th-15th centuries)?

I might actually have the only available recordings on CD. I have the Music of Byzantium, performed by Cappella Romana, which came out in concert with the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art's late Byzantine relics exhibit a few years ago. I also have Paul Hillier's Fragments, which showcases religious chant from the Renaissance period from Greece, Russia, England, France, and Italy. The Byzantine chant is fabulous, but it is done in a rather unfitting style, which is that of Italian Renaissance choral music, not in the ancient Byzantine style.

As far as songs go, I am looking for "Ode for the Council of Florence," which was composed by John Plousiadenos. There is a version on the Fragments CD, but it is done in the unrealistic Western Renaissance style.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2006 at 22:03
Man, I thought for sure I would get some help with this from the Greeks around here!  Any suggestions?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 16:50
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 01:13
Regarding your enquiry about the Canons for the Council of Florence, Cappella Romana has released a new recording called "The Fall of Constantinople" that includes this music as well as other Byzantine and Byzantine-related music from the 15th century.

You can find the recording at http://www.cappellaromana.org

Mark Powell
Cappella Romana

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 19:52
Originally posted by Cappella Romana

Regarding your enquiry about the Canons for the Council of Florence, Cappella Romana has released a new recording called "The Fall of Constantinople" that includes this music as well as other Byzantine and Byzantine-related music from the 15th century.

You can find the recording at http://www.cappellaromana.org

Mark Powell
Cappella Romana

Thank you very much for the update!  It is actually a funny story, I checked the Cappella Romana website shortly after posting this and found out that you were releasing a new recording on music from the Fall of 1453.

I waited with excitement until the CD was released, ordered it, and received it in a very short amount of time (thanks!).  Needless to say, it is a beautifully performed and recorded CD, with a healthy dose of Byzantine chant and Western influences.  The performance of "Ode to the Council of Florence" is amazing!  I recommend that anyone interested in Byzantine chant and medieval music pick this recording up!  Smile

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2012 at 02:16

Edited by Don Quixote - 21-Mar-2012 at 02:17
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2012 at 05:29

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 05:10
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2012 at 00:47
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 21:12
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2012 at 01:49
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2012 at 00:38
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2012 at 03:23
pedrocalcoen View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote pedrocalcoen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2012 at 02:08
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 22:31
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2012 at 14:58

Edited by Don Quixote - 02-Sep-2012 at 14:58
 Post Reply Post Reply