Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Geographical poles in the Ice Age

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geographical poles in the Ice Age
    Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 16:58
This is an archaeological trivia question that I'm not sure about and suddenly clicked in my mind.

Check this map first: http://www.handprint.com/LS/ANC/disp.gif

Notice the climatic patter for 16,000 BCE, notice the Ice Cap and the North Pole: it is strangely on the edge of the ice cap; Siberia is relatively warm. My logical deduction would be that, apart of any changes in sea currents and so on, the location of the poles would actually have tilted to northern Greenland or Iceland.

So the question is: do we know for sure that the geographical poles were at its modern position in the last glaciation?

Miscellaneous question: am I missing something? (This other map shows siberia as an artic desert - it may be more logic somehow).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 17:06
well i would have to say your a vairy smart person and i feel really dumb but nver mined that . i would hav to say i do think they were the earth is alwas changing and humns have not been around to to long so we cant tell how anything was. we can only make guesses. and the reason i feel dumb is i only got some of what you said but that might be beacuse of my age.
samurai View Drop Down
  Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 06:17

OK I did not check the link becoz in this regard my interest is not in the past but the future.I have a question.... are the Geographical Poles still changing and if yes How would Siberia look like 20,000 years from now?

PS: I did read your post in its entirety.You are a hot chick.

Edited by Guest
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 07:49
I'm a guy. That lady in my avatar is a Dutch writer and politician. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
guest View Drop Down
  Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 08:08

Originally posted by Maju

I'm a guy. That lady in my avatar is a Dutch writer and politician. 

OOO....sorry for my mishtake.

Lets stick to the topic.You didn't answer my question.What would be Siberia's landscape 20,000 years from now?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 10:25
Well, I'm actually interested in knowing why the last ice age happened and wether Earth's rotation axis (the poles) got displaced at all. Why Siberia and East Asia look so warm in that map.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 03:59

It seems to me it has smth to do with precession of Earth's axis' angle. See the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation.

See also about  M. Milankovitch's theory of Cycles in Paleoclimate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycle

Edited by arsenka
arsenka
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 10:23
I saw already the theories that suggest stronger or smaller tilting. But what I'm wondering is wether the axis itself could be moved towards Greenland - and therefore the eauqtor line would be inclined itself: going northwards at East Asia and southwards by the Atlantic.

I know it's just a wild speculation but why else does East Asia seem warmer than it should, considering not only European but also North American temperatures. Why is New York frozen while Yakutsk remains out of the ice sheet?!

Why is the ice cap sided towards the Atlantic. I feel that only an actual change of the axis of rotation of Earth could explain it succesfully.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply