Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"family values"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "family values"
    Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 22:55

Why of course it's in jest! Just a bit heavy on the South is all.

Well, getting back to the original topic (somewhat). I just find it interesting how in the excerpts that you provided in your first post, Mr. D'Antonio says this:

President Bush and Vice President Cheney make reference to "Massachusetts liberals" as if they were referring to people with some kind of disease.
Now, I realize this is his opening statement, but it just seems to me like a pathetic type of justification for going on into a topic in which he doesn't mention in his opening sentence. I mean, really, he makes it seem as if he's never heard the term liberal being used as a negative before. I guess he took that MA. part personally, eh? I just find it funny though, as that's how the word conservative, or even worse... Republican! has been viewed for years on end.

Anyways, as to the hypocrisy of how everyone votes... I don't see how it's hypocrisy if they vote based on what they believe (no matter how wrong it may seem to you). The only thing I'm not too thrilled about is the people who vote for a party, as if they're trapped into doing so. For example, I have some liberal (*gasp* oh no! he just used a four letter word!) friends who voted Dem because why? They've always voted Dem. Oh, and one said jokingly because he was black.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 23:58
yes, bible thumping hicks as said, are not restricted to the South. Cornelia, if i may ask where are you originaly from, Northeast isnt it?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 00:31

To Dawn:

First of all I'd like to apologize for not getting to your arguement quicker, at first I didn't notice it (not that I don't notice your posts) it was just lost in a sea of other posts.

Secondly, I being a religious person confused religion with morality. I should have said marriage is a moral bond between two persons. To elaborate on the marriage is religion things, many churches have a "sacrament" (I'm catholic so I don't know what else it would be called) of matrimony, which is a union made before God of a lifelong bond.

To elaborate on my opinions I will give an example. When I get married I will only recognize the vows I make in the Church while receiving the sacrament as my marriage. The government marital liscense is just a worthless piece of paper that has no meaning. Now if I was a hindu and performed a hindu ceromony, or an athiest that just said, " I vow to live and love you till I die." I would value that as a marriage, whereas the liscense is just a legal contract that says you share stuff. Which means the liscense should be a civil union and not a marriage.

So to answer your question you do have a civil union, but if you believe it's more than a legally binding contract between two people and more of a spiritual bonding than yes you have a marriage.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 10:50

No problem on missing the post.

After your clarification and adjustment on the word "religious" I can't say that I disagree with anything that you had to say. I would like to point out though in Canada at least, the legalities of marriage are much more blurred than the use to be with the status of the 'common law union" A legal marriage be it civil or church has very few property advantages over just living together. It mostly comes down to things like pensions and the like. So perhaps the "legal marriage" is coming to the end of it usfulness.

I think the biggest problem when it comes to marriage and divorce is that it is way to easy to get out of a marriage and there is a lack of commitment on the parts of the people involved. Like so many things in todays society,it is dispossible and people are not made to take respossiblity for their actions. There are vertually not consicenses to getting divorced.    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12