Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Antes the ancestors of the Slavs in the South Balkans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antes the ancestors of the Slavs in the South Balkans
    Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 10:25
Most of the Balkans was settled by Slavs of one of two types (excluding the smaller groups of Slavic Slovenes and Turkic Avars in the Western Blalkans). Each of these two main Slavic groups was to be named for a second conquering group who appeared leter in the 7th century.

The first of these two groups was the Bulgars, whose Slavic component the Bulgarian historian Zlatarski derives from the Antes. They were conquered in the late 7th century by the Turkic Bulgars, The Slavs eventually assimilated them, but the Bulgars name survived.It denoted this Slavic group from the 9th century thriough the rest of the medieval period into modern days. Until the late 19th century both outside observers and those Bulgaro-macedonians who had ethnic consiousness believed that their group, which is now two separate nationalities, comprised a single people, the Bulgarians. Thus the reader should ignore references to ethnic Skopjians in the Middle Ages which appear in some modern works. In the Middle Ages and into the 19th century the Macedonian Term was used entirely in refernce to a geographical region (as also the Thracian,Moesian e.t.c.)

For the story the second Slavic group was the Serbo-Croatian that according Zlatarski derives from the Slaveni.
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 12:53
I thougt that the antes were destroyed by the Avars
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 13:04

Is known that Avars suffered two majot defeats from the Slavs.

First was from the Slaveni who when set up an independent state in Illyricum. This Slavs are the Croats. Secodnly from the Bulgars near the Azov sea, under Kovrat leadership libirated themeshelvs arouns 635 A.D.

Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 11:00
Bulgars arent slavonic, and we know that the avars were the masters of the slavs. As warriors avars were better then slavs, another defeat inflicted by slavs was from Samo(Moravian).
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 00:43
Avars were masters of Slavs, and they used Slavs for units in battle usually infantry. However the Avars would be creators of their own destruction as eventually Slavs learned how to fight against the Avars and eventually rose against the avars and defeated them with the help of Samo. Bulgars as far as I know were a turko-tatar peoples, the proto-bulgars form the volga. As far as I know the Bulgars were closer to being affiliated with Avars then Antes.
"The latter were tribes of Turco-Tatar origin (Bulgars), whose original home had been the region along the Volga, north of the Caspian Sea and the Sea of Azov. Some of these moved form there in the sixth century together with the Avars advancing across the Ukraine to the lower reaches of the Danube. In the last third of the seventh century thye split off from the Avars and, under the leadership of Asparuch, penetrated to ancient Moesia where they formed an alliance with the local Slav tribes in the struggle against their common enemy- the Byzantines."
-The World of the Ancient Slavs.
pozdrawiam!
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 00:47
Also...arent the ancestors of the southern Slavs the Sklaveni? Antes were Eastern, and Venedi were western.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 13:31

Originally posted by Sarmata

Also...arent the ancestors of the southern Slavs the Sklaveni? Antes were Eastern, and Venedi were western.

You are correct as about the Antes and the Eastern  region. Vendes were those the ansectors of Slovenians and Chechs.

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 20:47
Originally posted by akritas

Originally posted by Sarmata

You are correct as about the Antes and the Eastern region. Vendes were those the ansectors of Slovenians and Chechs.

arent Slovenians originally a migrated tribe from the Novogrod region?

Edited by Sarmata
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 03:30
Sarmata, can you reduce that map?
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 00:17
If i knew how to I would, I just quickly grabbed a link from some random page, the main point of this map is to show that Slovenes come from the Novogrod region in Northern Russia. So wouldnt that make them Antes? instead of Sklaveni?
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 05:52

The key element as about the sourses and the origin of the first Slav settlemts is  the work of Jordanes, Getica. Jordanes had equated the Sclavenes and the Antes to the Venethi (or Venedi) also known from much earlier sources, such as Pliny the Elder, Tacitus, and Ptolemy.

Pedorov  and Curta  mention tha the gPrague zoneh was an archaeological equivalent of Jordanes' Sclavenes, while the gPenkovka zoneh was ascribed to the Antes, fall-out curves neatly coinciding with the borders of the Soviet republics. Also Curta mention that the Sclavenes do not belong to this group (Lombards, the Gepids, the Goths, the Cutrigurs, and the Antes ) most probably because Procopius viewed them as gnew.

Edited by akritas
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 18:57
Sooo what are you trying to say here?
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 06:36

The first of these two groups was the Bulgars, whose Slavic component the Bulgarian historian Zlatarski derives from the Antes.

The Antes? Hmm, could you give me an exact quote? Unfortunately, I haven't read anything of Zlatarski yet, but it's interesting from where does he derive the Antes line. IIRC, tribes of the Antes have participated in the Balkan plundering during the Slavic raidings period until the basileos caused an internal conflict between the Antes and the other Slavic raiders - the Slavinii, which stopped the raids for a little. But I don't know anything of Antes settling from that period. Or maybe he suggests that the Bulgars, while coming from "Old Great Bulgaria" (Ukraine), have joined or taken some of the Eastern Slavs? That's interesting... And funny how it corresponds to something else I read recently for the etimology of the word "Sklav/Sakaliba"...
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 07:45
It is a misconception to consider Croats of that time to be Slavic. They were originally a non-Slavic nomad tribe from southern Ukraine that settled in south Poland and ruled the Slavs, acording to Constantin Porphirogenet.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 10:55

Originally posted by NikeBG

The first of these two groups was the Bulgars, whose Slavic component the Bulgarian historian Zlatarski derives from the Antes.

The Antes? Hmm, could you give me an exact quote? Unfortunately, I haven't read anything of Zlatarski yet, but it's interesting from where does he derive the Antes line. IIRC, tribes of the Antes have participated in the Balkan plundering during the Slavic raidings period until the basileos caused an internal conflict between the Antes and the other Slavic raiders - the Slavinii, which stopped the raids for a little. But I don't know anything of Antes settling from that period. Or maybe he suggests that the Bulgars, while coming from "Old Great Bulgaria" (Ukraine), have joined or taken some of the Eastern Slavs? That's interesting... And funny how it corresponds to something else I read recently for the etimology of the word "Sklav/Sakaliba"...

page 35-36, The Early Medievals Balkans, John Fine, University of Michigan

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 11:02

Originally posted by Maljkovic

It is a misconception to consider Croats of that time to be Slavic. They were originally a non-Slavic nomad tribe from southern Ukraine that settled in south Poland and ruled the Slavs, acording to Constantin Porphirogenet.

Constantin Porfirogenet  is not ideal sourse to find the excacly imagrations because he is describing events that occures in the 2nd quarter of the 7th century.

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 12:29
I quoted Porfirogenet only on the fact that Croats ruled Slavs, for everything else there are archeological evidence.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 01:22

page 35-36, The Early Medievals Balkans, John Fine, University of Michigan

Could you give me the exact quote, cuz, unfortunately, I don't have this book...
 Post Reply Post Reply