Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is the tomato really a fruit? Hell no!@!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the tomato really a fruit? Hell no!@!!!!
    Posted: 24-May-2008 at 17:30
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Originally posted by pinguin

I give up.... sometimes, no matter how hard I try, I simply can't understand "gringo" humour LOL. But 20 pages of something I don't understand really has boosted my inferiority complex Big%20smile

(I really can't get why a tomato is so funny... at least it has some sexual second meaning I can't grasp)

lol...it is a pointless topic bud. So other memberz want to post in it just for the hell of it. It is a fun topic. Yankee humour is kinda sad compared to Canadian comics, but there were many legends of comedy that were Yanks...for example Chris Farley. I think he is the funniest man in TV. he may be dead, but he still makes me laugh out loud.

Wow. I cannot believe you said that. So not true. My Canadian marketing professor once showed us a Canadian Beer TV ad and said to him it was the funniest commercial he ever saw. I watched it and i thought it was unwitty, uncharming, unbalanced, unfair, unethical, underpants etc. Nobody else in the class laughed as well. Shows how FUNNY canadians are

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 24-May-2008 at 17:31
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 18:50
The funniest Canadian in history was Stephen Leacock, who however was born in Hampshire like all the best people irrespective of national origin, race or creed which may account for it.

If you can read past all the acknowledgements and disclaimers put there by Gutenberg[1] you might like to try a sample at http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext02/ssklt10.txt

As far as I can determine however, he never mentioned the tomato. Which may be to his credit.

[1] the project, not the printer.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 18:53
Pointless?  Over 1000 varieties of pointless and more introduced each year. Millions of tons of pointless grown every year. And what do you do when a comedian is unfunny and terrible?  You throw over ripe pointless's at them. tongue
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 17:42
Originally posted by gcle2003

The funniest Canadian in history was Stephen Leacock, who however was born in Hampshire like all the best people irrespective of national origin, race or creed which may account for it.

We already went thru this! There is no such thing as a funny Canadian!
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2008 at 21:05
Is it tomato growing season yet? Or did I miss it?

*edit: By the way...This is the 444th post on Tomatos! Congratulations to all who contributed to this monster!

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 01-Oct-2008 at 21:06
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2008 at 21:20
Just about over with now ponce.  It was a good year for the new hybrids, not so good for the heirlooms.  I planted a row of Roma, an Italian type, good for sauce.  I've never had any other variety produce like it did.  I gave away 3-4 bushels we couldn't use.  We are getting ready to pickel the green ones that are left on the vines.  All in all it wasn't a bad year.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 17:50
Originally posted by red clay

Just about over with now ponce.  It was a good year for the new hybrids, not so good for the heirlooms.  I planted a row of Roma, an Italian type, good for sauce.  I've never had any other variety produce like it did.  I gave away 3-4 bushels we couldn't use.  We are getting ready to pickel the green ones that are left on the vines.  All in all it wasn't a bad year.

Glad to hear this.

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 02:00
Wow Red. I cant believe you are still trying to grow something that is not even tangible. Its like saying you are trying to grow atoms from your garden! Its not just possible! Well I cant say that nothing is possible. But something like tomatoes is just so ridiculous that its just not even comprehensible.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2009 at 11:24
Hey!!! It's Tomato Season again.  I've got 72 plants in the ground this year.  11 varieties of pure red goodness.  Well, actually some are yellow and some are striped.  Wonder if this will bring out the Poncester.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2009 at 14:12
It is with great sadness that I report the Tomato patch is no more.  In fact, the entire 140'x65' garden is gone.  Without allowing for anything to get ripe, the powers decided that they want to go in a "different direction".  No warning, no nothing, including common sense.  So they had a landscaper come in and trash 6 months of hard work in 2 hours.  Talk about feeling irrelevant.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2009 at 14:37
In mythology, the greatest gift to Athenians was the olive tree, given by Athena. If this happened now she would give Athens a tomato plant.
My tomato season started end of June.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2009 at 04:42

It is with great sadness that I report the Tomato patch is no more.  In fact, the entire 140'x65' garden is gone.  Without allowing for anything to get ripe, the powers decided that they want to go in a "different direction".  No warning, no nothing, including common sense.  So they had a landscaper come in and trash 6 months of hard work in 2 hours.  Talk about feeling irrelevant.

Either this is an very well crafted allegory for the plight of allempires of late, or the irony is immense. The famous tomato thread is just as dead as your tomato patch.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2009 at 12:43
I see it as an allegory. Tomato thread will live forever and, maybe, I should change my login to tomatoes4ever.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2009 at 14:35
Originally posted by Dolphin

Either this is an very well crafted allegory for the plight of allempires of late, or the irony is immense. The famous tomato thread is just as dead as your tomato patch.

Well, the irony certainly is there.  But the Tomato thread will live on and your helping.  The thread seems to thrive as much on abuse as it does anything else.
And my "tomato Patch" will flourish again, somewhere else.

Something I'm curious about, it seems there is an epidemic of Optirectumitis running rampant in the Emerald Isle.  Optirectumitis is when the optic nerve becomes entangled with the large intestine, producing a sh**y out look on life.  Parnell has a terminal case and you don't seem to be much better.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2009 at 17:59
You say "Tomatos" and I say "Tomatoes", what does it matter?
The above is a possible quote from a former V. Presidential candidate from Indiana!
Regards.
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
gohar2002 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gohar2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2014 at 11:30
ok are u an idiot. I grow tomatoes in my backyard. I also have an apple tree and no tomatoes are not apples. u are really stupid.
gohar2002 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gohar2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2014 at 11:31
no. just no. I have a tomato plant and an apple tree and they are not the same
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2014 at 11:36
Opuslola is suspended gohar!Welcome aboard.Smile
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2014 at 12:01
Originally posted by gohar2002

ok are u an idiot. I grow tomatoes in my backyard. I also have an apple tree and no tomatoes are not apples. u are really stupid.

Gohar, I couldn't find the post you were responding to.  Since I well know the diff between apples and tomatoes, it isn't one of mine.

There are better ways to express your dissatisfaction than calling someone stupid and making it clear who you ref to is part of that.

I've been growing Tomatoes for 50 + years.  I'm a Horticulturist and a licensed teacher of Horticulture.  Having grown up in NJ, which was at one time the Tomato capital of the US, it's a natural.Wink

Unknown.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

My decision is that the tomato is not a fruit...NOR A VEGETABLE!!!! I have no reason to believe that tomatoes actually exsist.

--Have you actually seen a tomato before besides in a salad? No you have not

And for those of you who think they saw a tomato, that was an apple you idiot!!!!!

Point is....."your dead to me" as the honorable Stephen Colbert will say, at the end of his shows

Yes, I have.  Every year I raise them in our garden in several varieties.

Speaking of "fruits"...Ermm
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223