Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Aryans in Yerevan (Armenia)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Aryans in Yerevan (Armenia)
    Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 12:22

Republic of Armenia is doing a great job for the archealogy of the ancient Iranian/Aryan civilizations.

http://www.armenianhistory.info/origins.htm

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 12:24
can you please post the sections?
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 17:57
There is nothing said about Aryan origins.
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 08:26
It seems like the  Armenians had more to do with the ancient Mesopotamians, Iranians and Romans than to do with the prehistoric Aryan migrations.  There might've been some indirect influence by the Aryans through the proximity of the migration routes, but it sounds more like early Christendom had the greater influence on Armenian history in the legends of their early conversion in the wake of Jesus's crucifixion and ascent.  I'm actually curious to see if there's more on the pre-Christian history of the area such as the origins of that ancient kingdom of Uartu which was a neighboring power to that of the Hittites and Assyrians.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 20:02

Originally posted by YusakuJon3

It seems like the  Armenians had more to do with the ancient Mesopotamians, Iranians and Romans than to do with the prehistoric Aryan migrations.  There might've been some indirect influence by the Aryans through the proximity of the migration routes, but it sounds more like early Christendom had the greater influence on Armenian history in the legends of their early conversion in the wake of Jesus's crucifixion and ascent.  I'm actually curious to see if there's more on the pre-Christian history of the area such as the origins of that ancient kingdom of Uartu which was a neighboring power to that of the Hittites and Assyrians.

the ancient Iranians were Aryans

Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:01
I think Aryan includes all of the civilizations in the near East, not just Iran/Persia. I have read somewhere that Assyrians were also Aryans, as well as the Medes and the Urartians.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:23

medes are aryans, assyrians are not, and i dont know about the urartians.

aryans are the people who belong to the indo iranian group.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:43
you mean Indo-European?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:59

indo european and indo iranian are the same thing. they are two different names for the same group.

people now use indo iranian more.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 23:11
I think the Indo-Iranian group is a subgroup of Indo-European, and refers primarily to Iranian languages, like Ossetian and such...
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 00:40

Indo-Iranian and Indo-European are not the same.  Indo-Iranian is a sub-group within Indo-European.  Indo-European encompasses all related languages divided up into more than 10-odd subfamilies.  Four/five of these subfamilies are not extinct, namely Illyrian, Thracian, "Central Balkanic", Anatolian, and Tocharian.  The ones that remain are Celtic, Germanic, Romance, Balto-Slavic, Albanian (we don't know whether to see an Illyrian or Thracian [Dacian] background), Greek, Armenian, and Indo-Iranian.

I think Aryan includes all of the civilizations in the near East, not just Iran/Persia. I have read somewhere that Assyrians were also Aryans, as well as the Medes and the Urartians.

The Assyrians were Semitic-speaking and the Urartians were Hurrian-speaking peoples.  "Aryan" really historically only meant those peoples which actually used the name to describe themselves, and these peoples were all Indo-Iranic speaking peoples such as the Medes, Persians, Avestans (East Iranians), and northern Indians, although the Indians used it in a more or less religious sense.  Armenians, speaking a language not in the Indo-Iranian subfamily, fall outside its historic use.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 01:41
+ the terms Indo-Iranian and Indo-european are ONLY linguistic terms
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 15:22
Originally posted by Sharrukin

"Aryan" really historically only meant those peoples which actually used the name to describe themselves, and these peoples were all Indo-Iranic speaking peoples such as the Medes, Persians, Avestans (East Iranians), and northern Indians, although the Indians used it in a more or less religious sense.  Armenians, speaking a language not in the Indo-Iranian subfamily, fall outside its historic use.

You're right about their language. As for their culture, I've been to a museum in Armenia which shows a heavy Aryan influence on ancient Armenian culture. Many artifacts such as head sculptures were decorated with many swastikas. I consider ancient Armenians as being part of an Aryan culture, or at least bearing many resemblences to them due to influence. Maybe you can expand on this issue.

Originally posted by YusakuJon3

There might've been some indirect influence by the Aryans through the proximity of the migration routes, but it sounds more like early Christendom had the greater influence on Armenian history in the legends of their early conversion in the wake of Jesus's crucifixion and ascent.

Once the Armenians accepted Christianity around 301, it became the dominant religion in no time. Before the birth of Jesus, however, there were many religions which were dominant in the area. The Urartians had their own pantheon (it bore much resemblence to the pantheons in other countries at the time, maybe Sharrukin can expand), but the chief god in the Urartian pantheon was named Khaldi, and the Urartians even built a city as their designated religious center at Musasir (near Lake Urmia).

When the Persians took over in 550 B.C., many aspects of their religion were introduced to Armenia. The chief god in the Armenian pantheon at this time was Aramazd, which was the Armenian version of the Persian Ahura Mazda. The Armenian god Vahagn (god of wind and weather) was derived from the Persian god Verethragna. Mihr (the Armenian sun god) is similar to the Persian god Mithra. Elements of Greek religions were even present, as the Armenians had gods equivilent to those in the Greek pantheon, such as Anahit (Aphrodite), and they even built their temples in the Greek style in the 4th century B.C. until even after Christ was born. The only Pagan Greek-style temple that still stands in Armenia was built in the first century A.D.

Before the Urartians, who knows how many religions were present in the region. Skeletal remains and stone tools found in ancient Armenia have been dated between 1 to 2 million years old. This region is very underrated in terms of its early history.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 04:50

You're right about their language. As for their culture, I've been to a museum in Armenia which shows a heavy Aryan influence on ancient Armenian culture. Many artifacts such as head sculptures were decorated with many swastikas. I consider ancient Armenians as being part of an Aryan culture, or at least bearing many resemblences to them due to influence. Maybe you can expand on this issue.

Yes, ancient Armenian culture was influenced by the Aryans.  Even certain dynasties were of Iranian (Aryan) origin.  However, it must be recognized that sometime in the ancient past there was a "split" between the Armenians, the Indo-Iranians, the Phrygians, and the Greeks, which took them to different regions to develop their uniqueness.  The "Aryan" substrate within the Armenian culture was a secondary development which developed in historical times, perhaps as early as the Medes, which invested Transcaucasia by about 590 BC when they first encountered the Lydians in central Anatolia.  The "Aryanizing" influence from Iran continued with the Persians.  It must thus be recognized for all concerned that however "Aryanization" took place, it was by adoption, rather than original culture.

Post Reply Post Reply