Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Imjin War" (new book)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Imjin War" (new book)
    Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 22:30

Here is a new book on Hideyoshi's invasion of Korea, 1592-1598. It's on amazon.com.

"The Imjin War: Japan's Sixteenth-Century Invasion of Korea and Attempt to Conquer China," by Samuel Hawley

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8995442425/sr=8-1/qid=11428 23949/ref=sr_1_1/103-6784890-9776652?%5Fencoding=UTF8

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 23:00

"In May of 1592, three hundred and fifty years before the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japanese dictator Toyotomi Hideyoshi sent a 158,800-man army aboard a thousand ships from Kyushu to Pusan on Koreas southern tip. Its objective: to conquer Korea, then China, and then the whole of Asia. The resulting seven years of fighting, known in Korea as imjin waeran, the "Imjin invasion," after the year of the water dragon in which it began, involved 300,000 combatants and claimed more than two million lives. It dwarfed any contemporary conflict in Europe, and was one of the most devastating wars to grip East Asia in the past thousand years. "

I didn't know anything about this story at all. Thanks for the information.

hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 06:53

Here I have a free book link about the Imjin War from Chinese perspective.

The book Dragon's War  was regarded as one of the best historical novel of 2004 in China. I hope you could read Chinese.

http://book.sina.com.cn/nzt/lit/longzhanshanqianli/ 

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
 Post Reply Post Reply