Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

March 17 - St. Patrick’s Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March 17 - St. Patrick’s Day
    Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 17:59
March 17 is the 76th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar (77th in Leap years). There are 289 days remaining.

Wikipedia
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 18:36
I'm sharing this from memory, so I wouldn't be surprised if I forget something.

In 2004, two Albanian children drowned and very quickly the story spread through Kosovo that they had been chased into the river by Serbian teenagers.

Shortly afterwards, a Serbian waitress at a cafe in Pec was brutally beaten, allegedly by two Albanian girls. She later died.

In both cases it was eventually proven the other ethnic group was not involved in any way, shape or form.

These events were abused by the media in Kosovo and Serbia and consequently riots erupted across Kosovo.

Public comments from officials both sides fueled the conflict and within a matter of days, Kosovo was completely shut down.

The Serbs, who were far outnumbered, quickly went into hiding while protests grew into riots, and riots into targetted campaigns of destruction.

In a series of events we have seen many times (the Mohammed cartoons, race riots in Australia, religious riots in Northern Ireland, skinhead riots in Russia, etc, etc, etc.) extremists took hold of people's emotions and led them down a dark path.

On March 17, 2004, more than 35 Orthodox Churches in Kosovo were either damaged or completely destroyed. The Serbian district of Prizren, one of the only multiethnic cities that survived the Milosevic era, finally fell. The Serbian quarter was razed and burned and thousands of Serbian civilians were forced to flee for their lives.

The situation was not as dramatic, but was present, everywhere in Kosovo.

In Serbia, protests also turned into riots in cities across the country. Violent attacks against non-Serbs escalated, especially in Vojvodina and the Sandzak. Belgrade's only mosque was burned down, as was another mosque in Nis.

Airports in Serbia and Kosovo were blocked with tourists and international workers trying to flee. All signs indicated a full scale war was well on its way.

Then, slowly, emotions began to calm and the situation began to improve.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 09:05

Pope Leo VIII dies of a stroke during sexual intercourse with a married woman. Perhaps the best way for a man to die, but not a very appropriate choice for the Bishop of Rome.

The Hells Angels Motorcycle Club is founded in San Bernardino, California by veterans of World War II who were former members of the Pissed Off Bastards. Hell's Angels has 100 chapters globally, with more than 1600 members.

A U.S. midget submarine located a missing hydrogen bomb which had fallen from an American bomber into the Mediterranean off Spain.

Six members of the International Olympic Committee are expelled for corruption, all from poor third world countries. They received bribes from Salt Lake City totalling hundreds of thousands of dollars, a practice that had been going on for years.

Britain repeals the Stamp Act.
British forces evacuate from Boston to Nova Scotia.
Napoleon Bonaparte and his army reach Mediterranean seaport of St. Jean d'Acra, only to find British warships ready to break his siege of the town.
The first postage stamp canceling machine patent is issued.
John Joseph Montgomery makes the first glider flight in Otay, Calif.
Twenty African Americans are killed in the Carrollton Massacre in Mississippi.
The British steamer Utopia sinks off the coast of Gibraltar.
Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, niece of President Theodore Roosevelt, marries Franklin D. Roosevelt in New York.
The Camp Fire Girls are founded in Lake Sebago, Maine.
Russia increases the number of active duty military from 460,000 to 1,700,000.
Four Douglas army aircraft leave Los Angeles for an around the world flight.
Mob boss Al Capone is released from jail.
The Nazis begin deporting Jews to the Belsen camp.
The U.S. Eighth Air Force bombs Vienna.
The Dalai Lama flees Tibet and goes to India.
The United States increases military aid and technicians to Laos.
The Soviet Union asks the United States to pull out of South Vietnam.
A U.S. submarine locates a missing H-bomb in the Mediterranean.
The Army charges 14 officers with suppression of facts in the My Lai massacre case.
Nixon asks Congress to halt busing in order to achieve desegregation.
Twenty are killed in Cambodia when a bomb goes off that was meant for the Cambodian President Lon Nol.
First POWs are released from the "Hanoi Hilton" in Hanoi, North Vietnam.
President Ronald Reagan agrees to a joint study with Canada on acid rain.
White South Africans approve constitutional reforms giving legal equality to blacks.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 13:13
March 17th - I hope you are all wearing something green today as it is ST. PATRICK'S DAY

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17 to honor Patrick, Ireland's patron saint. Almost 1500 years ago the patron saint and national hero of Ireland was born to a Gaelic family who had migrated to Britain. The child was called Succat, which means "war like". Since Britain was part of the Roman Empire and had become Christian, the child was baptized and called Patricius, meaning "noble." For 16 years, Patrick lived a normal life as the son of a prosperous landowner and magistrate. Captured and forced into slavery, Patrick spent 6 years herding sheep. What is known is that he escaped. What is also known, is that after a period of time, Patrick returned to Ireland to do missionary work. On his return to Ireland, Patrick was a missionary who worked for 40 years in Ireland, preaching, baptizing, and establishing churches, schools and colleges.

How to celebrate St. Patrick's Day:

*Wear green
*Pin a shamrock to your hat
*Speak with a brogue
*Wear brogues
*Drink Irish beer and spirits
*Wish your friends and family "Top o' the morning to ye" and every so often cry out "Erin go bragh!" (Ireland forever)
*If you're a mayor, dye your town's rivers green and paint your lane markers green.

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2012 at 19:08
I must remember to start a couple of Irish history topics tomorrow (if i'm still sober). Erin go bragh!
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2012 at 19:11
Notable events on March 18: Everyone wakes up with a headacheLOL
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply