Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your opinion about the USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Poll Question: What comes to mind when you hear United States?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [14.81%]
5 [18.52%]
1 [3.70%]
15 [55.56%]
2 [7.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your opinion about the USA
    Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 12:49

Nah, all this and im not sold. Im still convinced that those who hate us around the world is because our movies have gotten really bad over the past decade.

Originally posted by Komnenos

If that great Shakespearian actress together with her silicon chest and with both of her braincells wanted to come to America, than it can be all bad there!

Yeah, shes a class act eh?  ...and one of our newest citizens we can really be proud of.        She actually was very cute before she moved to the US from BC.

Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 13:17
I don't think our movies are THAT bad.  Star Wars was good, but War of the Worlds was not that great.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 13:21
Originally posted by Gavriel

So if USA can bomb
Afghanistan/Iraq for harbouring terrorists can Britain bomb Dublin?

Absolutely!
And Glasgow and London for harbouring the Protestant terrorist organisations UVF/UFF !
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
reign View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 16:53
The United States makes bad military-wise decisions. The war in Iraq only makes them look like the most hated country in the world. Bush needs to pull them out now!.  And, Don't forget, the illegal bombing of my beloved country, Cambodia, but thats whole different topic to discuss. Nevertheless, the United States is still one of the BEST countries in the world part from the military mistakes. I hold no grudge.
Virgil View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Virgil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 21:00
Pasha wrote:

Ironic coming from a country which doesn't dare offend the Chinese, because it's too dependent on China picking up the tab at the Treasury bill sales every month.

I'll stay out of the America is great/America sucks debate. I do work in the area of international trade, I know for certain the Chinese are terribly nervous about US trade sanctions which would hurt their ability to export here and impact growth. Much of the debt owed to China is to fuel the export of their products to the U.S. market, so the cards, in a sense are biased in the U.S. economy's favor ie; the U.S. effort to pay back debt owed is less painful then the slower or negative growth the Chinese would incur by sanctions.  Even with WTO accession, the Chinese have enough abuses in intellectual property, dumping and labor infractions that sanctions would probably hold.  Only 22% of U.S. debt was owed to registered foreign investors in December of 2003. Of that 22% only around 10% is owed to China (June 2004).  Around 40% is owed to Japan, which has it's own debt problems (see below).

National debt isn't something owed for nothing; it consists of outlays for infastructure, education, health, research, defense, etc.  The debtor really doesn't matter, especially when that debtor- China- has it's growth linked to the US market. To put in some perspective, Germany's national debt is at similar per capita levels as the U.S. and the Austrians, Belgians, Italians and Japanese have far greater national debt per capita than the U.S. (I believe Japan's national debt now lies at around 120% of GDP).

Edited by Virgil
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 11:21
Originally posted by Thegeneral

We have not overthrown any democratic governmets. We put them in place of dictatorships. Do you by some chance live under a rock?

Hi Gen:

Please check this website:
http://www.zompist.com/latam.html
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 11:55
I see a lot of intervention on the part of the US.  We support the better of two opositions.  Democraies are not perfect.  No form of government is.  But America is a very good example and has set the way for amny other countries.
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 12:51
Pinochet, Somoza, Batista, Huerta, Saddam ?
Well, then you were a little bit short of options, right ?
Who was that US President that replied during an interview about Nicaragua:
Yes, Somoza is a son of a b..t, but he's our son of a b..t ?

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 13:35

I am sorry, I am not familiar with Somoza, Batista, Pinochet, or Huerta.

However, with the US helping Saddam, it was a good thing at the time.  We could either help him or someone who was worse.  It may not look like a good decision now,but it probally looked different back then.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 13:52
Jalisco, America also did not install Saddam into power, we just helped him when it was advantageous for us.  Same with Batista I believe, he lead a coup and we recognized him, but did not lead a coup for him.  Somoza, even though I don't know much about him, I also believe led his own coup.  Pinochet of course was our doing.
Member of IAEA
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 14:18
Originally posted by Genghis

Somoza, even thoughI don't know much about him, I also believe led his own coup.

The Somozas were a whole family of brutal dictators that ruled Nicaragua for half a century as a family enterprise, exploiting its wealth and surpressing any opposition.
When finally the people of Nicaragua had enough and tried under the leadership of the leftish Sandinista movement to overthrow the gangsters, the American government kept on supporting the last Somoza financially and militarily, until in 1979 they finally lost another faithful ally.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 15:08

Democraies are not perfect.

True, but they are rarely better than democracies.
Apart from that, it's not up to the US to decide who rules in which country, especially not if the country in question is a democracy.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 15:12

Thank you for pointing out my spelling, Mixcoatl.

If its not up to the US then who is it up to?  God? 

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 16:33
I think a lot of American girls are hot.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 16:35
Originally posted by vulkan02

I think a lot of American girls are hot.

Yeah, I really fancied that one, what was she called again, the one who was sent to prison for torturing Iraqi prisoners? Anybody know her name or has a photo?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 16:35

Thank you for pointing out my spelling, Mixcoatl.

I made an error myself as well. I intended to say "dictatorships are rarely better than democracies".

If its not up to the US then who is it up to?  God? 

the people

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 16:43
u mean this one?
Lyndee England
I think she might be one of those sado-masochastic dominatrix girls
i feel bad for the dude tho he's humiliated. Nonetheless a lot of American girls especially around Texas are pretty... too bad our nation has a medieval and very individualistic mentality.

Edited by vulkan02
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 16:57
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
I wonder how many who chose to hate America would immigrate here in a heartbeat.

A friend was in Russia and a Russian expressed to him how much he hated America. So, my friend asked him if he was allowed to immigrate here would he do it.
The Russians response was yes!! he would love to immigrate to America.
hmmm wait a second I thought he hated us!!! or is it jealousy.
Do you hate us or are you jealous of us and our prosperity and freedoms?

It is good to see the majority on AE do not hate us!!

Edited by eaglecap
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 18:13

Originally posted by vulkan02

too bad our nation has a medieval and very individualistic mentality.

You think we are individualistic and medieval in our mentality?  I must disagree.  I believe we are a nation that sticks together especially in hard times.  Except for around election time, of course!

As for our mentality, compare it to most countries in the Middle East. 

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 18:52
Originally posted by eaglecap

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
I wonder how many who chose to hate America would immigrate here in a heartbeat.

A friend was in Russia and a Russian expressed to him how much he hated America. So, my friend asked him if he was allowed to immigrate here would he do it.
The Russians response was yes!! he would love to immigrate to America.
hmmm wait a second I thought he hated us!!! or is it jealousy.
Do you hate us or are you jealous of us and our prosperity and freedoms?

It is good to see the majority on AE do not hate us!!

Eaglecap... smart people are not jealous of anything .. except maybe jealous of being less intelligent than other people. I dont think anyone in his/her right state of mind "Hates" America but i also think that anyone in his/her right state of mind should at least criticize it. You contribute a lot more to your country by criticizing it than by simply loving it. At least by doing so the country might move to another state that is preferably more desirable but by loving it you only preserve the status quo.

Most people who come to America would rather not... but they are disadvantaged in their countries and they try to make the most of their miserable lives(like many others in America and outside America) by simply coming here.

First you must define of what you mean by "freedom".
A lot of other countries have American freedoms and some have more. Most Americans work 40 hours per week and some others work even more. Most have about 2 weeks vacation... the government in America has NO vacation time as a law. Every other idustrialised country has that i think even Australia and Japan. So all in all we are mostly a nation of ants rather than people. There's nothing wrong with loving to work even when loving to work about money but when its overdone i think you stay ignorant ... you stay out of touch with people who know more about other fields in life etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>