Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most sucsesfull empire in world history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Poll Question: What do you think is the most sucsessfull empire in history?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.38%]
6 [12.77%]
1 [2.13%]
15 [31.91%]
6 [12.77%]
4 [8.51%]
2 [4.26%]
2 [4.26%]
6 [12.77%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.26%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most sucsesfull empire in world history
    Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 23:16
Originally posted by Heraclius

Originally posted by kurt

The Roman Empire is over rated. Eurocentrism gets on my nerves so much.

I don't think overrated is the right thing to call the Roman empire, eurocentrism may well exist, but just because the attention is so heavily focused on one part of the world does that diminish all that was accomplished in that particular region? By that particular civilisation?

The Romans accomplished alot in their own right, it isn't diminished by any over-emphasis by posterity. Other cultures and civilisations may well deserve more attention than they are currently receiving, but that doesn't mean that the impact of the Romans deserves to be under valued as a result.

Correct, and very well put.Clap
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 23:51
Originally posted by bilal_ali_2000

Here is the link
http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Geography/achaemenid_india.htm

Here are the excerpts 
"India was described by Herodotus as fabulously rich, richer, in fact, than all the other satrapies together in terms of annual tribute"

Thanks for that. It looks like this website is simply incorrect in that case, and they really should do their research more carefully. The reference they make does say that the Indians paid 360 gold talents, just as Herodotus claims. However, the website ignores the fact that this is only a minority of all the tribute money paid. When converted to silver, Herodotus claims the Indian tribute amounted to 4,680 talents - the total tribute from all provinces is 14,560 silver talents. As we can plainly see, the website is directly contradicting Herodotus and fails to provide a credible source to show how they are doing that. As such, the website's claim must be dismissed as simply incorrect. It's a shame that a website like that supplied you with such poor information, sometimes I guess we just need to be careful.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 02:42

The fourth "Indian" satrapy, India itself, was totally different. Apparently conquered, annexed, or at least claimed by Darius the Great after 522 BCE

This guy needs to sort out his historical grammar! He seems to say all of India when only talking about a tiny corner.

elenos
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 03:26
Originally posted by elenos

The fourth "Indian" satrapy, India itself, was totally different. Apparently conquered, annexed, or at least claimed by Darius the Great after 522 BCE

This guy needs to sort out his historical grammar! He seems to say all of India when only talking about a tiny corner.

LOL
bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 13:35
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Thanks for that. It looks like this website is simply incorrect in that case, and they really should do their research more carefully

Yeah i know that site is a bit weird and most of the time their logic is a bit out there. For example i read an article there which argue that Chess was an iranian rather than Indian invention and the arguments given there were very strange to say the least (as well as funny). However i will not post the link to that article for the fear of making my Iranian friends angry (again). But as i said that i have heard this claim from other sources also. There may be some doubts as to whether the amount of Gold talons is undisputed since as you learned from that web site that even Achaemnid control over that region is a point of dispute so the amount of Gold given as tribute may also not be very clear. And also there may be some doubt about the exchange rate between gold and silver. So we have two theories hat either the amount of tribute was half of all the tribute collected or it was one third of all the tribute collected.

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 16-Nov-2007 at 13:38
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2007 at 02:11
Originally posted by TheARRGH

The mongol empire at one time was quite a bit bigger, and rome in its state as perhaps the most powerful nation of its' time lasted roughly five hundred years-perhaps less.Rome was extremely successful-but it was not the biggest and quite possible did not last the longest. It was, however, one of the few who depended to a huge degree on organization and political savvy, rather than military might or crude control.

I meant in all of the empires of the western world. I don't know very much about the Eastern empires.

Edited by Crusader3943 - 17-Nov-2007 at 02:11
Crusader3943
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2007 at 03:51
Then (if we're talking about ancient empires), rome was indeed probably the most successful in terms of influence, size, and time of existence.

I don't know much about the eastern empires either. It's something I shoudl learn, but I'm pretty occupied learning about the americas, and to a lesser extent, about europe and the middle east.

...I just remembered some details about the mongols from once upon a time...
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456