Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Europe and asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europe and asia
    Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 18:09

Ralph payne is pro asian and exaggerated the range of the automatic cross bows and it's magazine size. The automatic crossbow was absolutely worthless on the battle field. The mongols have suffered a great number of serious defeats which led to it's withdraw from europe. Many of you people just read english sources about the chinese and they can be way off. I read chinese books about the chinese history and know what they are exactly like. The idea of arabs preserving the greek knowledge is incorrect. Europe was never less advanced in technology than the arabs and more advanced in the theoretical sciences like mathematics. the reason that the europeans were so strong is their culture. the western culture was more democratic than the east. The arab and chinese kings are extremely fataous and wasteful that the eruopean kings were more wise and controlled under the democratic system.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:05

Europe was never less advanced in technology than the arabs and more advanced in the theoretical sciences like mathematics. the reason that the europeans were so strong is their culture. the western culture was more democratic than the east. The arab and chinese kings are extremely fataous and wasteful that the eruopean kings were more wise and controlled under the democratic system.

If I can remember correctly, it was the Arabs who introduced the idea of democracy to Europe via renaissance.  The idea came from the Greeks/Romans, which were burried due to the fall of Rome.  In between there was a dark period where Europeans believe all this Witchcraft superstition (inquisition in which incriminated died one way or another w/o representation!), which I would not call democratic at all

Also, the medieval way of court was the following.  The prosecutor and defendant both raised their swords for a deathmatch dual.  The winner was considered to have the hand of god thus worthy!  That's not democratic!

The mongols have suffered a great number of serious defeats which led to it's withdraw from europe.

I don't remember any instances of that...?  Can you elaborate more?

I read chinese books about the chinese history and know what they are exactly like

I don't buy that, because I know that you cannot read chinese in the first place.

Grrr..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 21:02
Originally posted by demon

Europe was never less advanced in technology than the arabs and more advanced in the theoretical sciences like mathematics. the reason that the europeans were so strong is their culture. the western culture was more democratic than the east. The arab and chinese kings are extremely fataous and wasteful that the eruopean kings were more wise and controlled under the democratic system.

If I can remember correctly, it was the Arabs who introduced the idea of democracy to Europe via renaissance.  The idea came from the Greeks/Romans, which were burried due to the fall of Rome.  In between there was a dark period where Europeans believe all this Witchcraft superstition (inquisition in which incriminated died one way or another w/o representation!), which I would not call democratic at all

Also, the medieval way of court was the following.  The prosecutor and defendant both raised their swords for a deathmatch dual.  The winner was considered to have the hand of god thus worthy!  That's not democratic!

The mongols have suffered a great number of serious defeats which led to it's withdraw from europe.

I don't remember any instances of that...?  Can you elaborate more?

I read chinese books about the chinese history and know what they are exactly like

I don't buy that, because I know that you cannot read chinese in the first place.

First about the court system, you are making your self look stupid by saying that. I can't believe you. And the chinese literacy thing, I'm chinese then why can't I read chinese? You are again making your self look like a shallow person by guessing my abilities.

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 21:17
LOL there was nothing democratic about the europeans in the Middle Ages. During this time, Muslim attitudes towards everything legal-wise was more open. This reversed, but only until much later. I don't think Sword dueling for cases was common, but "everthing" was interpreted through religion in Europe during the middle ages.

The Mongols did not suffer any major defeats in europe until much later, when the Golden Horde led some fail invasions against europe due to the decline in military organization and siege expertise.

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 21:20

*Voice Change*: His Holiness djdjd dosn't belive that dueling-trials existed so whoever says they did must be stupid!  Logical?

Here is a paragraph on medieval justice: Dueling is metioned. http://www.hyw.com/Books/History/justice.htm

How do we really know that you are Chinese? I may as well as claim that I am Chinese and then claim that I read ancient texts as well! Any idiot can claim to be Chinese who read millions of Chinese history books for the matter. Bring sources to back up your fantastical claims.

Bring your proofs on European Monarchial-Democracy. You sound like a White Supremeist to me.

Totally agreed mod. Except for the dueling thing - "Honour" sometimes played a greater role than the religion. If one strikes thee on the right cheek thrust the knife into...

Edited by Evildoer
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 01:51

Friend dsjdsj,may i ask you 1 simple question,since you said you're Chinese,why did you call me cheap Asian jerk? Even if you want to flame or insult me(which i will just take it as a joke)you obviously won't say cheap Asian jerk because Chinese are also Asian. If one Asian wish to flame/insult other fellow Asian they will only say "you're a jerk" and without the word Asian.

In this case i believe you're non Asian instead you're just white European/American and since you claimed to know who the Chinese or any other Asians are then please enlighten me about them or else just stop making assumption/conclusion and try to learn from other competent members instead of assuming/making conclusion without prove and evidence.

Take note(for friend dsjdsj) that i'm not saying i'm an expert in anything nor i'm trying to challenge you in history or other thing and this post is not for offending you either but i do hope you will not starting to flame me or others.

I apologize if anyone feel offended about this post.

Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 07:07

Warhead,

Originally posted by warhead

"My reply was:

"Europeans did fight against the samurai--in the 16th century.  The Spanish in the Philippines had to deal with Sino-Japanese pirates (wako) often, during the 1570s and 1580s.  The fact that the Spanish had firearms is a moot point, because the wako had them too!  The fighting involved a mixture of missile weapons (arquebuses and bows) and melee weapons (polearms and swords). 

And the Spanish won."

As I have already indicated, there were samurai within the ranks of the wako, and they fought with the same type of weapons (swords, spears, naginata, arquebuses, etc)."

But he never mentioned the japanese. But since you didn't claim it, you seem to mean it when you said Spain won. 

He DID mention the Japanese--read it again:

Originally posted by TongShanThaiHiung

And please do not assume that European will always win in the melee attack because the European Knight or Roman Legion never fight with something like Korean, Khitan, Jurchen, Japanese, Tibetan or Chinese Heavy Cavalry/Infantry who were also good in melee attack.

Peace,

David

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 14:33

Originally posted by Chono

Wow, an english templar? He must've joined in Syria or something.

He was a noble/knight who was exiled from England, made his way across Europe, into the middle east. There, he gambled away his fortune. When the mongols came by, he signed up as a mercenary.

Sounds like a movie.

"The Last Mongol"
Starring Tom Cruise

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 14:45
well, as far as I remeber he DID join in Syria, but not Bat but Hlg.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 14:53
Originally posted by TongShanThaiHiung

Friend dsjdsj,may i ask you 1 simple question,since you said you're Chinese,why did you call me cheap Asian jerk? Even if you want to flame or insult me(which i will just take it as a joke)you obviously won't say cheap Asian jerk because Chinese are also Asian. If one Asian wish to flame/insult other fellow Asian they will only say "you're a jerk" and without the word Asian.

In this case i believe you're non Asian instead you're just white European/American and since you claimed to know who the Chinese or any other Asians are then please enlighten me about them or else just stop making assumption/conclusion and try to learn from other competent members instead of assuming/making conclusion without prove and evidence.

Take note(for friend dsjdsj) that i'm not saying i'm an expert in anything nor i'm trying to challenge you in history or other thing and this post is not for offending you either but i do hope you will not starting to flame me or others.

I apologize if anyone feel offended about this post.

If you can't read then don't bother to ask me things. I already pointed out that you called me racist and what I said bullsh*t. This is the second time people talked about this. If you miss it this time then you got problems.

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 15:09

"I already pointed out that you called me racist and what I said bullsh*t."

... Your sentence dosn't make sense. So he called you racist, and then you suddenly said BS?

"go to hell you are an cheap asian jerk"

So you are a "Chinese"  and you insult people as "Asian jerks"....

I think this member should be seriously banned for racism

Edited by Evildoer
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 15:35

"Europe was never less advanced in technology than the arabs and more advanced in the theoretical sciences like mathematics. the reason that the europeans were so strong is their culture."

But it sure is weird that no book i have ever read has mentioned this part. Probably a conspiracy form Asian historians! But you are probably right because a mans word is a mans word. The Arabs also probably started organizing Al-Qaeda cells from 632.AD, fell to being barbarians and the Spanish made the Pyrenean peninsula into the most culturally advanced area of Europe and the Arabs then left the sciences for Europe!!!!!

Get real dsjdsj, the Arabs were more advanced in modern terms from Europeans for atleast from the 8th century to the 12th. Those centuries come from my head, but at that time period it was like it was, the Arabs were the cultural overlords.

When did the cultural rise of Europe begin, from Dante Alighieri and Aquino Thomas or...

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 15:58
It was only after the 1700's that Europe started to overtake Middle East economically, culturally and legally in my opinion.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 17:02

First about the court system, you are making your self look stupid by saying that. I can't believe you. And the chinese literacy thing, I'm chinese then why can't I read chinese? You are again making your self look like a shallow person by guessing my abilities

But there were some parts of the Medieval justice system that were unique to the period. The most startling Medieval item was known as the "ordeal of arms". This was, quite simply, trial by combat. Two sides fought it out with weapons and the winner was declared in the right. Many Midieval chroniclers pointed to the Bible stories of Cain and Able, or David and Goliath, as justification of the use of Gods judgement through combat. But for the most part it was simply an ancient custom that lingered into, and died out during, the Medieval period.

This is from the website provided by Evildoer .

2. translate both of these:

ݥ

3.  Unlike David, you post without sources.

Grrr..
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 06:20

Warhead,

Originally posted by warhead

"Here's a Spanish account of fighting in the Philippines in the 1580s, which offers a considerably different picture"

Now that its clear, it proves even less, the battle was faught on sea or attacking a fortification rather than on the ground, tactics employed on sea is vastly different from organization on ground. In such cases, both Qi Ji Guan and Yi sun Shin have annililated far greater odds against wo kou boats.It also mentions sant jusepe overcame the Wo kou ship with artillery.

Your reading of the Spanish letter is rather selective, so I'll post the pertinent passages from it again:

The Japanese put out grappling-irons and poured two hundred men aboard the galley, armed with pikes and breastplates. There remained sixty arquebusiers firing at our men. Finally, the enemy conquered the galley as far as the mainmast. There our people also made a stand in their extreme necessity, and made the Japanese retreat to their ship.

So here, we have the Japanese boarding the Spanish galley in force.  They attacked at HTH, while being supported by a unit of arquebusiers.  They fought as far as the mainmast of the galley, and then were driven back.  Plenty of HTH fighting there.

They dropped their grappling-irons, and set their foresail, which still remained to them. At this moment the ship Sant Jusepe grappled with them, and with the artillery and forces of the ship overcame the Japanese; the latter fought valiantly until only eighteen remained, who gave themselves up, exhausted. Some men on the galley were killed, and among them its captain, Pero Lucas, fighting valiantly as a good soldier.

The above excerpt indicates that the Sant Jusepe did not overcome the wako vessel "with artillery"--the author states that the Sant Jusepe "grappled with them", and used both artillery and the "forces of the ship" (ie., the fighting men on board).

"Perhaps the above account will give you a more complete picture of who the wako were, and what they were capable of."

The equipment of the wo kou is probably different from Qi Ji guan's time to this.

It's possible, though I doubt it.

But obviously this battle still doesn't show that Wo kou army is anything on the level of firepower and organization that Nobunaga's army is. The fight doesn't indicate any organization whatsoever. Its too shallow to indicate any view on their comparison with the official Japanese troops.

Sounds like you're in denial about the situation overall, Warhead. 

TongShanThaiHiung said that Europeans and Japanese never fought in a melee situation, and I provided a couple of examples where they did, and won.

Peace,

David

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 06:38
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Landsknecht Doppelsldner

Batu's reservations were hinted at when Mongol parties were ambushed by Austrian troops under Duke Frederick.  The successful defense of Szkesfehrvr by the Italian mercs was doubtlessly noted as well.

I've never heard that, where you have that from?

James Chambers, The Devil's Horsemen--The Mongol Invasion of Europe.

Chambers describes Szkesfehrvr (the ancient burial place of the Hungarian Kings) as "Stuhlweissenburg" (the German name for the same town).

The Austrians under Frederick had been victorious in a couple of skirmishes with the Mongols (one in which the mysterious English ex-Templar with the Mongol Army had been captured).  Frederick challenged two of the Mongol prisoners to single combat--he skewered one with his lance, and chopped off the arm of the other with his sword.

mmmh, don't have that book, any other source that mantions abotu this event? and on what primary sources is this based on?

Temujin,

James Chambers lists the following primary sources for The Devil's Horsemen:

The Secret History of the Mongols (a Chinese translation of a Mongol text which has not survived)

The Precious Summary (17th century chronicle by the Prince of Ordos)

The Campaigns of Chingis Khan (a Chinese history)

History of the World Conqueror by Juvaini

Compendium of Histories by Rashid ad-Din

La Flor ded Estories de la Terre d'Orient by Hayton the Monk

The Georgian Chronicle

The Chronicle of Novgorod

Polnoe Sobranie Russkikh Letopisei

Monumenta Germaniae Historica (collection of contemporary central European reports and chronicles)

Historia Tartarorum by Simon of Saint Quentin

Itinerarium et Historia Mongolorum by Giovanni de Plano Carpini

De Itinere ad Tartaros by Benedict the Pole

Itinerarium ad Partes Orientales by Willium of Rubruck

Chronica Majora by Matthew Paris

Peace,

David

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 17:01

I see...I will further research on that...

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 17:40
I do not see. Seeing is forbidden among evildoers. We are guided by the power of Evil.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 16:50

"Ralph payne is pro asian and exaggerated the range of the automatic cross bows and it's magazine size. The automatic crossbow was absolutely worthless on the battle field. "

Wrong.

"So here, we have the Japanese boarding the Spanish galley in force.  They attacked at HTH, while being supported by a unit of arquebusiers.  They fought as far as the mainmast of the galley, and then were driven back.  Plenty of HTH fighting there."

I neve rsaid there is no fighting, but its still a naval battle, with the problem of boarding and its organization is totally different than a field one.

"not overcome the wako vessel "with artillery"--the author states that the Sant Jusepe "grappled with them", and used both artillery and the "forces of the ship" (ie., the fighting men on board)."

Again I never said they never fought them with their hand, but artillery is one of the decisive weapons.

"Sounds like you're in denial about the situation overall, Warhead.  "

The situation just doesn't prove anything solid.

"TongShanThaiHiung said that Europeans and Japanese never fought in a melee situation, and I provided a couple of examples where they did, and won."

If you read his post careful he never mentioned the japanese. And he said that western melee isn't necessary superior, which was his point.

Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 19:01
Ehhh guys... Can you not use the size 8 font? It's giving me a headache.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>