Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Samuel Huntington, Political Scientist, Dies at 81

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samuel Huntington, Political Scientist, Dies at 81
    Posted: 03-Jan-2009 at 02:50
Pinguin
What I think you fail to understand is the following: the poor Hispanic immigrants to the U.S. are the most visible face of Hispanics there only.

Its always the case, poor people of immigrant descent or a different culture are scape-goats, the same happens in Europe. For example in the UK, the Polish people were blamed with taking Brittish jobs but average Brittish citizen won't even do those jobs, the media sometimes likes to make people focus on foreigners, its easier than adressing the real problems of social inequality and poverty.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2009 at 03:13
It could be. But the strategy to target Hispanics as the scape goat backfired for the right wingers at the last election. That's only a small detail political people should be aware in the next future.

Hispanics want power and they will get it,

Bernard Woolley View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2009 at 02:51

Originally posted by calvo

This again proves my point that economic and educational status plays a far more important role in cultural integration or clashes.
I don't know much about the history of Canada, but I could imagine that East Asian immigrants in the early 20th century were mostly poor and uneducated, and in the recent decades they have become more sophisticated.
Most probably, Muslim immigration to Canada involved better educated individuals than those who migrate to Europe.

On the whole, poor countries are generally considered to be "culturally distinct" to rich countries regardless of the similarities of their cultural base. A century ago, Italians and Irish were also considered to be of a "distinct civilization" by the Americans.

I agree that economic status is a factor in the integration of immigrants, but it's only part of the equation.

I don't think that not being "in-the-fashion" to ccriticise East Asia would prevent people from doing so. If a group doesn't get along with the rest, people would criticise them, regardless of the trend because it is something spontaneous.

On this I strongly disagree. Sustained criticism of particular groups of people is not spontaneous. People are very much affected by what they hear, and by what they don't hear. If news about one group having trouble integrating is current, then anything that reinforces that idea is more likely to be registered and remembered than if news about that group of people is not current. Unfortunately, part of how the human brain works is to fixate on experiences that confirm expectations and to ignore experiences that don't confirm expectations.

The acceptance of immigrant groups by the native population is at least as important for integration as the ability of immigrants to adapt to the native population, and this part of the equation is largely outside the control of the immigrants. It usually takes some time if the group is new, it depends on the prevailing mood of the native population, it depends on how accustomed the native population is to accepting immigrants, and it depends on prevailing stereotypes.

However, what I do observe in several European countries is that although East Asian immigrants might not mix with locals when they first arrive, their isolation rarely lasts beyond the first generation. The native-born generations of Chinese, Vietnamese etc in France, Holland, UK, and Spain, tend to adapt rather resiliently into the local society; and not all of these immigrants are from Hong Kong.

On the other hand, much of the cultural clashes occurs with Muslims beyond the first 2 generations, issues such as the veil, school uniforms where girls have to show their legs, arranged marriages etc.
These differences are rarely observed among East Asians or Latin Americans.

I don't know much about immigration in Europe, so I can only talk about Canada, but I think there's much less difference between the behaviours of ethnic immigrant groups (in terms of interaction, intermarriage, ghettoization, the integration of 2nd or 3rd generations, marriage practices, etc.) than there is perception of difference by the general population. In every ethnic group (indeed, in almost every family) there are some who integrate fully, others who integrate partially and others who don't integrate at all. One could find many examples to support whatever level of integration one wanted to prove, so preconceptions are extremely important.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 11:30
Originally posted by pinguin

Yes. You express a lot better exactly what I mean. Latin America is a region, not an independent civilization at all.

I challenge anyone that claim Latin America is not Western that finds, outside folk traditions of course, any of the above topics which is absolutely different from the West. Of course we have here some ancient civilizations like the Incas and Aztecs, but the U.S. has Kahokia and the Anazasis... so what's the difference?

I would like to chime in.

It's fallacy to suggest Latin America is not part of Western Civilization culturally,rather a seperate entity.Asians typically regard Latin America as an extension of " southern " European ( more specifically Spanish ) cultural sphere of influence.I think Argentina has largest percentage of European descent ( Italians & Spanish ).I've briefly encountered 2 young Argentines in the past,they considered themselves " White-Europeans " not Latinos ( a racial or ethnic  category invented by USA ).

From my perspective ( BTW,I am Asian ),I have always suspected ethnic snub of Latino ( Hispanics ) people for their " southern European = Latin " heritage ( I believe there is subtle prejudice ).In both America & Canada,majority populations have always been White-Europeans of northern stock until recent huge influx of non-Whites.Also,50% or more Latin Americans are " mestizos " or mixed heritage.Maybe,they take it into consideration when evaluate who's Western or who's not.

Blacks have impacted American culture to some extent.No one despises US enough to a point would insinuate US doesn't represent Western culture because it's tainted by African influence or shouldn't be part of Europe's civilization for her blackness.Or worst ...  say something like because US now has 35% non-White population & 50 million Italian-Americans & 10 million Slavic-Americans therefore pull US away from W Europe so it shouldn't be group in the " Western Civilization "or " Western-European Race ".

The " West " is an American invention.It's a generic label USA links itself to Europe without geographically attaches to that continent.

This discussion parallels to many heated debates between Chinese VS ' sinophobic  ' S Korean ultra-nationalists & " pro-Japan & Korean relatedness " foreign surrogates in cyberspace since 2006.They would nitpick dissimilarities and could trump-up some stupid lies to seperate Chinese from Japanese & Koreans.

pinguin ... it's racially & politically motivated.

Edited by pebbles - 01-Mar-2009 at 22:02
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 11:54

The "West" is not an American invention. It is just a term that "Americans" not use properly, as always they do. The first mistake Americans do is the following. They say:

"The West"="Western Civilisation"

That's false. It is not.

Western civilization is the one that developed in Western Eurasia and the Mediterranean, with roots in Mesopotamia, Palestine and Egypt, and with some ancestral links to places far away as India.
Western civlisation become an European civilisation during the Middle Ages only, when the Arabs stread the Muslim society, and unified the East under a new religion. At that time Muslims unified theirs own "Western" or Roman heritage with the oriental becoming a parallel brother civilisation (a civilisation that is as fellow with western as cats and dogs, but that have a common root).
It was only after the Anglosaxon culture took power and dominated the world, and particularly after WWII and the Cold War that the term "The West" developed to indicate Western Europe and the U.S. only.

However, as I say earlier, Western Europe+former Anglosaxon white colonies are just a fraction of the Western Civilisation today. Latin America, with its large territories (20% of the planet) and its large population (600 million people), is an important fraction of Western Civilisation, and the reserve for the future.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 12:06
Originally posted by pebbles

From my perspective ( BTW,I am Asian ),I have always suspected ethnic snub of Latino ( Hispanics ) people for their " southern European = Latin " heritage ( I believe there is subtle prejudice ).In both America & Canada,majority populations have always been White-Europeans of northern stock until recent huge influx of non-Whites.Also,50% or more Latin Americans are " metizos " or mixed heritage.Maybe,they take it into consideration when evaluate who's Western or who's not.... 

The term "Latino" is a short of Latin American. Which means "people born in Latin America".
Latin America was a region colonized by the Iberians superpowers of its time: Spain and Portugal. The region was settled by millions of Europeans that mixed with the natives.

The genetics of Latin America is highly European in the male contribution but highly Amerindian in the female side. There are also an important fraction of African and Asian genetics in the Latin American populations. The culture is mainly European, transmitted through European languages derivated from Latin (Spanish, Portuguese), a milenary art, music and literature, and also the Catholic religion of the Iberian variety.

What Latin America also have is an heritage of the Ancient civilisations of the regions, like Mayans, Aztecs, Tiahuanacos, Incas and also of the tribal groups. Latin Americans are proud of theirs local indigenous cultures, and they don't hide them. However, 95% of the culture is Western, and the authentic Indigenous societies are minoritary.

The only difference between Western Europe, North America and Latin America is that the later is poor in comparison. That's changing though. I expect in the long term the economical difference won't be as sharper as today. In fact, 50 years ago the differences between them in economics were atonishing, but that's no longer true.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 12:24

The only difference between Western Europe, North America and Latin America is that the later is poor in comparison. That's changing though.

You think it's all economics ?

I haven't read any American materials ever suggested second-world European countries like Greece & Portugal are less Western culturally or shouldn't group in the European category.Greeks and Portuguess aren't of Anglo-Saxon/Nordic stock.

In America,I think the word Latino has a much broader meaning.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 12:33
So does anyone here actually have a holistic opinion on the entirely of his life's work - or is everyone one here going to have one great big bitch session because they didn't like one particular theory that he came up with?

Personally I don't have any holistic opinion of the man because I have not intensively studied his entire life and all his works (like most, sorry no, like ALL the commentators here).

But my advice is that if you have a gripe on his Clash of Civilisations work, create a separate topic to bag it. Otherwise, go do an enormous amount of research on the man and his academic works and then get back to us with a VALID opinion.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 13:18

What Latin America also have is an heritage of the Ancient civilisations of the regions, like Mayans, Aztecs, Tiahuanacos, Incas and also of the tribal groups. Latin Americans are proud of theirs local indigenous cultures, and they don't hide them. However, 95% of the culture is Western, and the authentic Indigenous societies are minoritary.

I generally agree with you, but you're painting too much of an idyllic picture of Latin America here. You're ignoring there is a lot of racism; people are proud of their indigenous heritage when it comes to ancient ruins or folkloric things that do well with tourism, but apart from that most blanks and mestizos look down on the indigenous.

And also I think there is a difference between Mexico and the rest of Latin America; I think Mexico considers itself to be more indigenous than most other Latin American countries. Popular history in Mexico always identifies the Aztecs with Mexico and vilyfies that Spanish, indigenism is a kind of official ideology in Mexico (while at the same time they keep ignoring the real indigenous peoples). I think in this Mexico differs from most other Latin American countries though.
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 13:24

I haven't read any American materials ever suggested second-world European countries like Greece & Portugal are less Western culturally or shouldn't group in the European category.Greeks and Portuguess aren't of Anglo-Saxon/Nordic stock.

It's not ALL about economics, but economics does play an important factor.
For example, Spain and southern Italy were hardly considered as "western" during the first half of the 20th century. Back then, the Northern European view of the Iberian peninsula was probably very similar to their view on Latin America.
The French used to say: "Africa begins south of the Pyreneese".
In many ways, Spaniards and southern Italians back then did live a lifestyle and share a system of belief more similar to Mexicans and Colombians than with French, British, or German. In the last 30 years things are changed a lot in these countries.

Nowadays, most of European countries are more or less economically developed; so they are colloquially all included as part of the "West". Nevertheless, there are still some exceptions such as Albania. Even Rumania and Bulgaria, who are part of the EU now, are generally not considered to be very "western" by popular standards for their economic backwardness.

"West" is a cultural-political-economic definition and the lines are blurred. I think that for most people it means fullfilling 4 basic requirements:
- deriving from a Christian-European cultural heritage (or at least the mainstream)
- a democratic government and a free economy
- a reasonable level of economic development.
- a relatively low rate of corruption

Countries that fill all 4 requirements are generally considered as the most "western" (Germany, USA, France, UK, Belgium, Canada).
Italy might fullfill the first 3 of the 4; Mexico and Brasil only fill the first 2; and Albania fullfills none.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 13:31

Nope. I think is ignorance.

You shouldn't believe everything you read.
I have also read some oppinions that said Anglosaxons and Nordics aren't Westerners but tribal people that were Westernized by the Romans.

In the United States, the education in history is not a favorite topics for students Confused

They don't even know that "America" means the Western Hemisphere and not the United States only.

Besides, what the U.S. people think about the term "Latino", which is probably a cartoon of Speedy Gonzalez, is really irrelevant.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 13:37
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

...I generally agree with you, but you're painting too much of an idyllic picture of Latin America here. You're ignoring there is a lot of racism; people are proud of their indigenous heritage when it comes to ancient ruins or folkloric things that do well with tourism, but apart from that most blanks and mestizos look down on the indigenous.

I am not ignoring anything. Western Civilization has been racist from the beginning.}
Remember how Jews and Gypsies have been treated in Europe during centuries. Or how Blacks were treated in the British colonies in the Americas, and in the United States, for so long.

I am talking to you of the oppinion of the educated peoples of Latin America. Not about the biggots of cantina, that exists everywhere.

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

And also I think there is a difference between Mexico and the rest of Latin America; I think Mexico considers itself to be more indigenous than most other Latin American countries. Popular history in Mexico always identifies the Aztecs with Mexico and vilyfies that Spanish, indigenism is a kind of official ideology in Mexico (while at the same time they keep ignoring the real indigenous peoples). I think in this Mexico differs from most other Latin American countries though.

That was artificially produced in Mexico under the Cosmic Race doctrine introduced by Vasconcelos. Mexico has an important Iberian genetic and cultural component that not educated Mexican can deny.

That doesn't mean Mexico is a perfect example of a Western country. Mexico is still poor and has too many problems. But putting it appart because its particularities is just negating the obvious.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 13:48

It's not ALL about economics, but economics does play an important factor.
For example, Spain and southern Italy were hardly considered as "western" during the first half of the 20th century. Back then, the Northern European view of the Iberian peninsula was probably very similar to their view on Latin America.
The French used to say: "Africa begins south of the Pyreneese".
In many ways, Spaniards and southern Italians back then did live a lifestyle and share a system of belief more similar to Mexicans and Colombians than with French, British, or German. In the last 30 years things are changed a lot in these countries.

Absolutely.

Nowadays, most of European countries are more or less economically developed; so they are colloquially all included as part of the "West". Nevertheless, there are still some exceptions such as Albania. Even Rumania and Bulgaria, who are part of the EU now, are generally not considered to be very "western" by popular standards for their economic backwardness.

So when Europe get ruined after the development of East Asia (if ever happens) then Europe will stop to be the West? ConfusedConfused

Economic situations don't make civilizations. I think you are confusing terms.

"West" is a cultural-political-economic definition and the lines are blurred. I think that for most people it means fullfilling 4 basic requirements:
- deriving from a Christian-European cultural heritage (or at least the mainstream)

Defined as such, it is completely wrong.

(1) Christian-European: A large part of the history of the Western Civilization wasn't Christian European!!

For instance, the Roman Empire developed in all the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, covering sectors of Europe, Asia and Africa. Even more, a large part of Europe wasn't Roman! Besides, during Crete, Greece, Alexandrian and Roman times, the Western Civilisation wans't even Christian. And Christian religion itself comes from the Middle East and not Europe!

(2) Democracy. The West only started to become democratic at the end of the 18th century! And during most of the 20th century there were stilll dictatorships all over Europe!

(3) Development. Do you mean the Middle Ages weren't westerner? Does that mean people suddenly is excluded from "The West" when they get poor? If the U.S. or Europe suffer an economical colapse, Soviet Union style, they will stop to be Westerners?

This argument is ridiculous.

(4) Corruption. How to measure it? Sometimes the worst corrupt are those who nobody detects.

Countries that fill all 4 requirements are generally considered as the most "western" (Germany, USA, France, UK, Belgium, Canada).
Italy might fullfill the first 3 of the 4; Mexico and Brasil only fill the first 2; and Albania fullfills none.

Those scores, with the criterias above, are ridicullous. Albania belongs to the Western Civilization. France as well, no matter a large part of its population was born in Africa.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 14:21

Italy might fullfill the first 3 of the 4

[/QUOTE]

What it boils down to is a technicality,it's a matter for those who measure it.

Ireland was an economic backwater for decades in post WW 2,but that country was never denied membership of " the West ".How are Italy & Greece more qualify than comparable corrupted Argentina of Latin America.

By the way,US views Europe & Latin America through a different spectrum.

I am more cynical,still believe there is underlying " bias " exists.Tongue

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 14:31

Ireland was an economic backwater for decades in post WW 2,but that country was never denied membership of " the West ".How are Italy & Greece more qualify than comparable corrupted Argentina of Latin America.

Of course that "bias" exists.

It is racism.

Even Southern Europe has been considerated "less westerner" because people there is less blond. As if Germanics were the founders of the Western Civilisation, anyways ConfusedConfused

Europe and North America pushed away Latin America simply because the European colones mixed there with Amerindians, Africans and Asians. That, in the view of some people of Europe and the U.S., convert us in alliens.

What is ridiculous, though, is that today, after decades of immigration, many parts of the U.S., Canada, Australia and Europe looks less "westerner" (or white) than Latin America.

That makes us, Latinos, to laugh at the hypocresy of the Anglosaxon and Western European worlds.

Edited by pinguin - 01-Mar-2009 at 14:34
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 14:32
Pinguin,

I'm not talking about the academic definition of the "West" and the classification of ancient civilizations, but rather the modern "coloquial" definition of the word in international politics. The way how it's understood by MOST people in everyday conversation.

Whether you like it or not, the word "West" does have an elitist tone in it; that implies economic and social development and a democratic political system.
Speak to any average guy on the street and mention the word "western country", the first thing that'd come to mind is democracy, prosperity, and an open society.
Generally speaking, people do not tend to classify a nation with a high level of illiteracy, nor a society that still practices tribal warfare and honour killings as "western", despite its cultural heritage.
And I'm afraid that once a country is poor, it becomes less "western" by international standards. A typical example is Argentina before and after the economic collapse. You might consider it unfair, but it's the way the world is.

and I frankly believe that "Western civilization" only existed from the 18th and 19th centuries onwards, the age of European domination. Western civilization might have taken inspirations from the Greeks, Romans, and Semites; but the Greeks and Romans certainly did not consider themselves as "westerners".
In the late Roman Empire, the words "Orient" and "Occident" had completely different meanings; the former refering to the Greek-speaking Christian world, while the latter referred to the Latin-speaking pagan world.
Nor could Medieval Europe be considered as "western civilization". Christian yes, but "Western" not yet.
In many ways, modern "Western civilization" is more similar to medieval Islamic culture than to Christian Europe.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 14:42

Pinguin, 
and I frankly believe that "Western civilization" only existed from the 18th and 19th centuries onwards, the age of European domination. Western civilization might have taken inspirations from the Greeks, Romans, and Semites; but the Greeks and Romans certainly did not consider themselves as "westerners".
In the late Roman Empire, the words "Orient" and "Occident" had completely different meanings; the former refering to the Greek-speaking Christian world, while the latter referred to the Latin-speaking pagan world.
Nor could Medieval Europe be considered as "western civilization". Christian yes, but "Western" not yet.
In many ways, modern "Western civilization" is more similar to medieval Islamic culture than to Christian Europe.

I am not concern with the modern definitions of the "West" that some Europeans may have based on theirs ignorance.

The Western Civilisation has a very simple definition:

Is a civilisation rooted in Greek-Roman ancient civilisation and in Jewish-Christian religion and ethics. Besides, Westerners speak Indo-European languages (with exceptions, of course).

The democratic system is not part of the West, or was not up to recent times. So, it can't define a region.

Perhaps you are speaking about a different thing. Call it then, "European" civilisation or whatever, but you are not talking about "Western civilisation".

With respect to Muslims, they are a sister culture of Western Civilisation. Even more, India also shares some important roots with the West.

Europeans aren't the definition of the "Western Civilisation" but only of Europe.

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 14:44

Pebbles,

I don't know where you're from nor what books you've been reading, but from many of your post I gather that you have a rather 19th-century "racialist" view of the world.
You seem to believe that what divides mankind the most is "race", or the U.S. definition of the world (which is different in Europe, Latin America, and the Arab world); and that the concept that:
Western = White = Nordic
and that Kazakhs have to be more related to Chinese than to Turks just because they're Mongoloid.

We are in the 21st century now, and most of this 19th century racialism is obsolete in most of the world; not only socially, but also scientifically.
Looking further back in history, few societies prior to the 19th century had derived their consciousness primarily from their skull shape and colour of skin. Most of this racialism of dividing makind into strict categories of white-yellow-black was a colonial political legacy with very shallow roots.

However, if this is what you want to believe in, I try not to convince you more.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 14:53

Pebbles,

I don't know where you're from nor what books you've been reading, but from many of your post I gather that you have a rather 19th-century "racialist" view of the world.

You seem to believe that what divides mankind the most is "race", or the U.S. definition of the world (which is different in Europe, Latin America, and the Arab world)

It's America's political establishment's racialist view not mine.US public media is racially conscious by referring Asians & Hispanics as " 3rd world " Americans Shocked  Confused

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2009 at 14:54
I think that Pebbles was arguing exactly the opposite.

He detected the cynical definition of "The West" modern Europeans use.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>