Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Super Balkan Union

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Balkan Union
    Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 10:57
Originally posted by Patrinos

The Roman poet Horace said: Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit et artes intulit agresti Latio (The defeated Greece conquered the victor and civilised the peasant Latins)

Macrobius, Porphyrogenetus, Cicero to some extent think in a different way Smile But it doesn't matter.

And Anton find for me a civilization de-novo...

I never found such.

[/QUOTE]
But to deny the special character of the Greek culture through centuries is totally inaccurate if not illusional.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, but it would be illusoidal to deny Thracian, Roman, later Slavonic and later Turkish elements as well.

We know your opinion about the Cyrillic alphabet...And why you are defensive?
Ha, do I look like I defend something? I just share my point of view. 

Nobody denies the value of the Bulgarian culture and its lead among Slavs. And by the way Kukuzelis was Bulgarian only from his mother...

I spent several long posts attempting to deny any forms of superiority and now you are telling me about leading of Bulgarian culture. I might study how to epress myself better... Tongue

You would help us if you mention these slavo-protobulgar ingredients in Byzantine culture...

Are you sure it is that easy? Are you sure you will be open for that? Here is one example:

Kukuzelis introduced the melodious (callophone) style and repertoir and created the Late Byzantine system of notation named after him. About 90 of his works in all church styles have survived until today, possibly the most famous one being the Chandelier of the Bulgarian Woman dedicated to his mother that, according to some researchers, contains elements of traditional Bulgarian mourning songs.

He was also the author of a new type of vocal collections and of the Hyronomic vocal exercise that offered 60 designations of vocal signs that marked melodic formulae key to the composing.

SmileSmileSmile
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 11:08
Originally posted by Anton

I spent several long posts attempting to deny any forms of superiority and now you are telling me about leading of Bulgarian culture. I might study how to epress myself better...

Maybe because you are our closest neighbors.

Kukuzelis introduced the melodious (callophone) style and repertoir and created the Late Byzantine system of notation named after him.

My neighbor who has the same surname will be very proud when I'll tell him that

About the subject of the thread...Not even Serbs and Montenegrins made it to be one state and all Balkanians together can??

Edited by Patrinos - 07-Feb-2007 at 11:11
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 11:17
I think that Kukuzelis is Greek. It sounds like Greek and I doesn't look like Bulgar. The origin is 100% Greek.  AT least from his father side if we assume that his mother changed the surname as it was used to do at that time.

And Anton I don't think that Turkic elements are in Bzantine civilization. We, as Greeks, since we ve been 400 yeas in slavery we have some lets say elemntes of turkic language, food and music. But The Byzantines never. After all they never have relationships with Turks, commerce or anything else like Byzantines had with Russians, Bulgars or Slavs. Also Turks (Seltzouk and later Ottomans) have nothing to offer to civilization until that time. Later we could discuss it. But before 1453 I don't think that Byzantines would be interesting in anything Turkic.

Cicero was a greek hater. He never accepted anything Greek to be good. He is not an objective source.

Edited by perikles - 07-Feb-2007 at 11:18
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 11:46
The last two posts of you guys perfectly illustrate what I am trying to say Smile
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 16:19
I can also add that after 1453 in essence the Hellenic people lost the greco roman tradition because most of the Byzantine elite ( the carrier of knowledge) immigrate to West (the Hellenic community in Venice was established this period) and because Ottomans where interested to promote culture related to Islam.The only tradition that kept the Hellenic people of the Ottoman empire were the Christian (through the church).After 1821 the     Diaspora Hellenes of Europe start through education transfer  again the greco roman tradition to the Hellenic people that live in the area of Ottoman empire. Actually western Europe became the carrier ,after the fallen of Byzantine empire , of the Greco Roman tradition and the development of the logic as mean to explain everything.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 17:02
So, do I understand you correctly,Antioxos, that Greco-Roman traditions were brought to West Europe mainly after fall of Constantinople by Greeks? And before that culture Medieval Europe had no Greco-Roman traditions?
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 07:25
Nop. At least we (Greek and Romans)  never accuse people of being wizards and witches and of course we never burn people. And we respected the books, we didn't burn them. The honour in the battlefield and the good care of the prisoners was not a medieval advantage. And of course in ancient greece and later in rome was a respect to the superirity of the winner and the respect of the looser from the winner.
Anton please tell me when the Europe start to bloom? What age?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 09:09
Originally posted by perikles

Nop. At least we (Greek and Romans)  never accuse people of being wizards and witches and of course we never burn people. And we respected the books, we didn't burn them. The honour in the battlefield and the good care of the prisoners was not a medieval advantage. And of course in ancient greece and later in rome was a respect to the superirity of the winner and the respect of the looser from the winner.
Anton please tell me when the Europe start to bloom? What age?

No, Perikles, I refuse to discuss this topic further. It seems you have explanation for everything. "We didn't burn people" but blinding of 15000 people is explained by "the good care of the prisoners was not a medieval advantage". I am wondering how will you explain burning of books in bulgarian monasteries, deletion of slavonic textes in order to write Greek books due to expenses of paper, changes of initial meaning of in some Bulgarian books and so on? I can propose several explanations: 1) This are all lies of propaganda, 2)all that was done by your barbarian neighbours (i.e. Bulgarians and later Turks) and 3) massive degradation of Greek nation after Ottoman conquest.  Something tells me you will not chose the third one Big%20smile Forth explanation that basically everything you said in your last post is HUGE overestimation, oversimplification and too optimistic could hardly be expected.  

Such criticism-less approach to the own history is wierd. At least I think so and don't want to be involved in it.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 12:27
The day Balkans unite,the entire world will crumble.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 13:14
Anton,

I am wondering how will you explain burning of books in bulgarian monasteries, deletion of slavonic textes in order to write Greek books due to expenses of paper, changes of initial meaning of in someBulgarian books and so on? I can propose several explanation

When exactly that happened?When have Greeks burnt Bulgarian books or we ...deleted slavonic textes in order to write Greek ones?How exactly have we deleted it?We right-clicked and pressed Delete?

But Anton you've left some questions of mine unanswered.Like your oversimplificated   opinion that Greek civilization is just a variant of the Mediterranean civilization...and I asked you to analyse your opinion...for example to reffer to the simiralities between the Greek and the ...cousin Mediterranean Jewish civilization.If this isn't oversimplification what is it????

Also you've been ironic when we said(me and Perikles) about Kukuzelis and his obvious Greek origins from his other part(the non-Bulgarian one...).And when Perikles asked you to say the Turkish cultural influences in the Byzantine civilization(of course he meant before 1453) you had the same reaction...

You've said also that "hellenization" of the Grekomani was not because of any superiority of the Greek culture during the Ottoman era but because...Greek guys pushed them to be "hellenized" under the Ottomans' authority...How exactly did these Greek guys did that??Did they threaten them with guns???Explain to us...
Kolokotronis
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 14:01
Super Balkan Union.....

Hmmmmm.....In the words of Bart Simpson:''Never happen''LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 14:37

When exactly that happened?When have Greeks burnt Bulgarian books or we ...deleted slavonic textes in order to write Greek ones?How exactly have we deleted it?We right-clicked and pressed Delete?

Scraping of text does tell you something? Wink To be serious, this is how it happens. Nowadays you can trace what was written in manuscripts using modern methods. Some of them were initially slavonic, then Greek then slavonic back. Or vice versa. People are bustards. They always think their opinion is more important than that of the others. And in this respect Greeks are not different. This example was aimed to illustrate Perikles opinion about "respect to books" not for something else.

But Anton you've left some questions of mine unanswered.Like your oversimplificated   opinion that Greek civilization is just a variant of the Mediterranean civilization...

So, I should understand that godlike Hellens (and later their reincarnation as Byzantines) the civilizators of the world tought us barbarians basically everything   And then when another barbarians came the Balkans (Turks)third reincarnation of Godlike Hellens went the West Europe and cause Renaissance? Wink Patrinos, this is not oversimplified opinion it is your national myth, how it looks from outside. And if you really think people believed it you are wrong. And yes, it is cute and one might smile unless somebody comes and says that you were riding hourses in Asia when we built whatever he built.

and I asked you to analyse your opinion...for example to reffer to the simiralities between the Greek and the ...cousin Mediterranean Jewish civilization.If this isn't oversimplification what is it????
I cannot compare it to Jewish culture since I am not familiar with it. Especially ancient. But I can compare for example Thracian culture with that of Greeks. Yes, I see differences but I see also influences of each other whereas you (and not only you but it seems that almost every Greek) tend to describe this relations in terms of Hellenisation, assimilation, admiration by Greek culture and so on.  Akritas would call it "nationalism" if it would be related to somebody else.  LOL And when one tries to show you examples of opposite influence you with plenty arguments argue that it influence was initially Greek, or the person is Greek or something else of that sort.

Also you've been ironic when we said(me and Perikles) about Kukuzelis and his obvious Greek origins from his other part(the non-Bulgarian one...).
How couldn't it be ironic when Perickles tells me that a guy who have Bulgarian mother and unknown father is Greek??? And which is more important when Perikles says he is not Bulgarian Wacko Just because "Kukuzelis" sounds Greek? Is that your obvious reason? Reason, my dear fellow Patrinos, is much more obvious. Kukuzelis is not Bulgarian just because he was genious and barbarians from the north cannot be genious people. And I do not find a reason to discuss farther any sources, because one author will be grekophob, another will make mistake in place of the river Itil, third will simply make a mistake to alllow to be published on a nationalistic site 3000 years after his death and so on. I enjoy that kind of demagogy but at least we need to share a bottle of Raki before the argumentation and one after. Smile

And when Perikles asked you to say the Turkish cultural influences in the Byzantine civilization(of course he meant before 1453) you had the same reaction...
From the very beggining I ment influence of Turkish culture after 1453.

You've said also that "hellenization" of the Grekomani was not because of any superiority of the Greek culture during the Ottoman era but because...Greek guys pushed them to be "hellenized" under the Ottomans' authority...How exactly did these Greek guys did that??Did they threaten them with guns???Explain to us...

You missed something in this thread. I explained this but you didn't understand. Certainly it wasn't admiration of Pythagoras theorem.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 14:55
I will express a general opinion ,irrelevant to the above.

The Ancient Hellenic civilization,and Hellenic civilization overall, was and is being misunderstood by the majority of the world.It became the greatest civilization for quite some time for the West,while the East,if i can use such term,does not care about it.Really,very few know Ancient Hellas.They talk and talk and talk,and they only thing they manage is to show their stupidity and genuine lack of history knowledge.

Today there is another fashion:Ancient Hellens the "robbers" of Ancient Egyptian and Hinduistic philosophy,Black Athena and other awful and stupid things.

Nobody says that Ancient Hellens did not believe that they were the most Ancient civilization.Nobody mentions the fact that although Athenians hated Sparta and Persia ,there were also Athenians who followed the Spartan way of life or admired the Persian way of administration.Nobody mentions the fact that every city-State has it's own unique history.It's not only Athens and Sparta.

Some may believe that because the Ancient Hellens wrote down their history,their civilization is easy to understand.The fact is,that because of their written and monumental history,it is,in fact, more complex to understand them.

My point is ,that ,although i do not agree with the stupid theory that Ancient Hellens "teached" civilization to the rest of the world,Ancient Hellas and ,generally, the Hellenic civilization is one of the greatest manking ever knew.

Nationalism?No,a protest against stupidity.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:00

Also you've been ironic when we said(me and Perikles) about Kukuzelis and his obvious Greek origins from his other part(the non-Bulgarian one...)

So, after 300 years in the same AE forum your descendants will explain mine (mine will have nickname SaxKoburgGotski) that Boris Christoff was Greek opera singer since word "Christoff" have obvious Greek root. Wink

And by the way, "zele", "zelka" is used not only by Greeks Wink

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:03
Originally posted by Spartakus

I will express a general opinion ,irrelevant to the above.

Irrelevant indeed.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:07
Now,i will become relevant.Balkan history is way too complex,expecially when we talk about origins.Hell,my origin is from Asia Minor and Pontian Hellens and ,who knows what others ,who came in Hellas after 1922.There are Balkanians who talk Hellenic,but they are not Hellens.There are others who have Bulgarian names and speak slavic,but their origin is Hellenic.There are others,e.g pomaks ,who have mixed origin.There were others whose ancestors and  they were considered Turks just because they were in the Muslim Millet.

Searching for identity in the Balkans,is like searching for aliens in planet Mars.

Edited by Spartakus - 08-Feb-2007 at 15:08
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:16
Originally posted by Spartakus

Searching for identity in the Balkans,is like searching for aliens in planet Mars.

Basically, what I tried to say last 5-7 posts here is the same principle applied to culture.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:22
Identity and culture are two heavily connected and ,at the same time,disconnected things.For example,there are cultures produced by specific ethnic teams,but they are carried out also by foreigners.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:43

Scraping of text does tell you something? To be serious, this is how it happens. Nowadays you can trace what was written in manuscripts using modern methods. Some of them were initially slavonic, then Greek then slavonic back. Or vice versa. People are bustards. They always think their opinion is more important than that of the others. And in this respect Greeks are not different. This example was aimed to illustrate Perikles opinion about "respect to books" not for something else.

I haven't ever heard about that.I've just heard about ancient Greeks' texts that were scraped of... I think you like this style of response.

So, I should understand that godlike Hellens (and later their reincarnation as Byzantines) the civilizators of the world tought us barbarians basically everything   And then when another barbarians came the Balkans (Turks)third reincarnation of Godlike Hellens went the West Europe and cause Renaissance? Patrinos, this is not oversimplified opinion it is your national myth, how it looks from outside. And if you really think people believed it you are wrong. And yes, it is cute and one might smile unless somebody comes and says that you were riding hourses in Asia when we built whatever he built.

Despite your ironic tone I will coninue... But...do you think that Slavs were identical culturally before their coming to the Balkans and after? I suppose that you deny any Byzantine influence.To be more caustic I don't think that Slavs contributed...enough in what we call Byzantine culture.
For example the Slavs who established in Peloponnesus were some warriors and shepherds and anything is left from them,I mean culturally,only some toponyms.
Well the Greeks in Renaissance played an important role but not the major,who can deny it? Except you have arguments to proove that these Greeks who fled to Italy after 1453 were useless.Don't be afraid to demythologize our history...

I cannot compare it to Jewish culture since I am not familiar with it. Especially ancient. But I can compare for example Thracian culture with that of Greeks. Yes, I see differences but I see also influences of each other whereas you (and not only you but it seems that almost every Greek) tend to describe this relations in terms of Hellenisation, assimilation, admiration by Greek culture and so on. Akritas would call it "nationalism" if it would be related to somebody else.   And when one tries to show you examples of opposite influence you with plenty arguments argue that it influence was initially Greek, or the person is Greek or something else of that sort.

So now Greek culture from just a Mediterranean culture variant became just a Balkan culture variant...lol
OK,we know the Thracian contribution in Greek culture(Dionysus(good choise by the Greekslol,Orpheus),but your undervaluation towards Greek culture either shows lack of knowledge or just prejudice against the permanently puffing up neighbors...

How couldn't it be ironic when Perickles tells me that a guy who have Bulgarian mother and unknown father is Greek??? And which is more important when Perikles says he is not Bulgarian Just because "Kukuzelis" sounds Greek? Is that your obvious reason? Reason, my dear fellow Patrinos, is much more obvious. Kukuzelis is not Bulgarian just because he was genious and barbarians from the north cannot be genious people. And I do not find a reason to discuss farther any sources, because one author will be grekophob, another will make mistake in place of the river Itil, third will simply make a mistake to alllow to be published on a nationalistic site 3000 years after his death and so on. I enjoy that kind of demagogy but at least we need to share a bottle of Raki before the argumentation and one after.

Well,about Kukuzelis now.His name doesn't only sound Greek,but it is Greek,and not a christian Greek.He lived in a Greek colony,where Greeks lived until the late Byzantine times,he spoke Greek...my guess is that he is Greek...but thats not our subject.

You missed something in this thread. I explained this but you didn't understand. Certainly it wasn't admiration of Pythagoras theorem.

Help me to find your right explanation,because I only saw something about Greek authorities who pushed them to be hellenised...Greek authorities
when and where?During the Ottomans slavery and within the Ottoman state???Its not convinsing.

Edited by Patrinos - 08-Feb-2007 at 15:45
Kolokotronis
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:43

So, do I understand you correctly,Antioxos, that Greco-Roman traditions were brought to West Europe mainly after fall of Constantinople by Greeks? And before that culture Medieval Europe had no Greco-Roman traditions?

Well guys be cool

Perhaps the Byzantine empire's greatest contribution to literature was their careful preservation of Ancient Greek literature, which was thereby transmitted both to Europe and to the Islamic world, as well as compilations of works on certain subjects, with certain revisions, most notably in the fields of medicine  and  history.
The fall of Constantinople  to the Ottomans in 1453 was a turning point. Where Byzantine -Greek (i.e. Eastern Roman) scholars fled west to Rome, bringing with them classical Roman and Greek texts as well as their knowledge of the classical civilizations, much of which had been lost in Western Europe for centuries. Notable among them was Manuel
Chrysoloras  (c. 1355 1415), who arrived in Italy in 1397 and is often credited with re-introducing Greek literature to Western Europe.
The main reason that Latins couldn't read Greek was the estrangement of Eastern and Western Christendom.By the year 450 there were very few in western Europe who could read Greek, and after 600, although Byzantium still called itself the Roman Empire, it was rare for a Byzantine to speak Latin, the language of the Romans.This  estrangement was conditioned by cultural, political, and economic factors; yet its fundamental cause was not secular but theological.

Edited by Antioxos - 08-Feb-2007 at 16:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>