Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Classical Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classical Music
    Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 08:38

Here is my complete playlist.

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 09:17
Originally posted by flyingzone

Without doubt, Chopin's music is the most aesthetically pleasing to the ears. Maybe one could call me sexist, but sometimes I find it hard to believe that such stunningly romantic and beautiful music could come out from the brain of a man ... And unlike Tchaikovsky, Chopin, though sickly most of his life, wasn't even gay .... (And Tchaikovsky's music is extremely masculine. But of course, most gay men are masculine.)
While I find it true for many Nocturnes and some Waltzes (though not all of them), I find more exceptions in some Polonaises, Preludes and Etudes (like the Revolutionaire Etude in C Minor or the Polonaise in C Sharp Minor, Op. 26 No. 1).
Also, Chopin unlike Bach, for instance, it is much less aesthetical according to certain perspectives - Chopin is much more chromatic, uses much more dissonant intervals, etc..

Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 20:02

Currently,

Requiem - Mozart (my all time favorite)
Brandenburg Concertos - Bach

I can't think of any others at the moment...

Personally, I have been getting tired of listening to Chopin. Of course I'm not doubting his brilliance, but at the moment his music is just too, at a loss of a better word, romantic. Right now I would much rather listen to an invention by Bach than I would a waltz by Chopin.

Edited by Peter III - 01-Nov-2006 at 20:09
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 21:27
Bach and Dvorak are my two favourite composers...for favourite pieces of all I really like Smetana's Ma Vlast and Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess. I am also a big fan of Rachmaninov and Elgar, as well as Brahms...but they're all good, naturally.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 23:02
Yes, my two favorite composers are also Bach and Dvorak. Another one of my favorite composers is the lesser known Bruch. His violin concertos are just plain amazing.

Ildico View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ildico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 23:14
Moldau by Smetana is my favorite classical song.
Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 16:41
Beethoven - ode to joy

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 20:16
Originally posted by Ildico

Moldau by Smetana is my favorite classical song.

Clap

Another beautiful piece of excellency is Brahms's Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 20:25
I am a big fan of Vivaldi, namely his 'Seasons' compositions - Summer is the best IMHO. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 21:00
Originally posted by Peter III

Currently,

Requiem - Mozart (my all time favorite)
Brandenburg Concertos - Bach 

Those are also my favorites, but I would add

Toccata & Fugue in D Minor - Bach
Ninth Symphony - Beethoven
The ride of the Walkyries - Wagner
The Canon in D- Johann Pachelbel
Thus spoke Zaratustra - Richard Strauss

And

The Four Seasons - Vivaldi. I consider that last one one of the most perfect pieces of music ever writen.

More in the "ethnic" classical music I love

Joaquin Rodrigo - Concert of Aranjuez

That's where I hear a transcendent "Hispanic" identity.

Regards,

Omar

Edited by pinguin - 25-Dec-2006 at 21:03
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 21:15
Originally posted by pinguin

The Four Seasons - Vivaldi. I consider that last one one of the most perfect pieces of music ever writen.

Definatly - I really admire it. You could say (well, IMHO) that it is near perfect
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 21:38
Im a big fan of Classical Italian music, my favorite music is Santa Lucia!

lissin to santa lucia by Enrico Caruso, recorded in 1900's!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Qq5koysOQ
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 03:30
For Christmas I got 101 Classical Greats along with Forever Classics, they came together and are 21 cds total.  I was wondering if anyone else has heard of it, its great by the way.  101 classical greats is 5 cd's and it is a mix of different artists, Forever Classics is 16 cd's and its one artist per cd.  I have been listening to Vivaldi's Four seasons lately, magnificent.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 04:12
This Christmas I had the lack to enjoy a Strauss - Mozart concert, performed by the Wiener Hofburg orchestre in Wien. My favorite is the Radetzkymarsch by Johann Strauss.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234