Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Albanians in Kosovo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albanians in Kosovo
    Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:43

And of course, if I would actually use this in an attempt to make some point (you all know what I am alluding to) - which is the last thing on my mind (or to get a better impression, not even the last) - I'd be definitely with an anti-Albanian sentiment.

Its not the only one, in the Albanian Epic Poem, The Highland Lute, a battle is described between the Turks and the Albanians. When the Albanians win, the subsequent slaughter is portrayed as so great as if it was a slaughter of "Shkja", the Albanian pejorative for Serbs. When scene from the time period inwhich it was written, what George Fishta(The Catholic priest who wrote it) is saying become understandable since it occurred in the aftermath of the Serbian re-entry in Kosovo, the usurpation of Ulcin and the bloody siege of Shkoder. Nevertheless, I have never heard of people using this poem as some kind of model. Then again, the poem was heavily repressed by the communists.

Things look so different through other windows. When the Albanian loots or burns a Slav village, his act, in the eyes of Europe, is ´an atrocity.´ Seen through Albanian glasses it is quite another color.

In another part of the story, we hear of Durham having a conversation with a Serbian family. The male states that Albanians are a big trouble, but then finishes by adding, with a smirk, that he has killed a lot of them. These kinds of anecdotes are all over and I understand the context of both. Albanians and Serbs would continually raid the houses of one another in the border with Montenegro.

Albanians in northern Albania today see this past bloodshed through the perspective of "quarreling brothers"

Edited by Theodore Felix - 31-Jul-2008 at 23:48
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:50
so if Albanians did the same or even more what is your point of bringing up a Serb poem about it and somehow linking it to the present?
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:53
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

and does not present then's "evil genes" of the Montenegrins & Serbs as that writer would try to present

Nobody is talking about genes, Im talking about it from the development of extremist nationalism that was reborn at the end of Yugoslavia, especially seen among commanders, of Montenegrin origin themselves, who took part in the bloodiest field of the war: Bosnia. There a parallelism that lies between the poems and the recent events that cannot be missed.

The other poem I posted is from Jovan Cvijić, called 'The Dinaric Man'. It was printed a number of years prior to the Serbian re-entry.

Well, I am sure that there is no real reason in their (Radovan Karadzic, Slobodan Milosevic, Zeljko Raznatovic "Arkan", Veselin Sljivancanin,...) Montenegrin origin (there I was referring to the genes), nor that epic poems actually made all of them the war criminals they were, the case seems to be only with Radovan Karadzic, who indeed is a poet, and grew up on epic poetry. Of course I see the obvious connection, however it is not the epic's faultConfused ) that a man like Radovan Karadzic became that which he is, so that we should think that Njegos should've never written the Mountain Wreathe or nothing of it occurred, in hope that in the Yugoslav wars it would not resurge. I do really think that the connection can be made only in Rasho's case.

I must say that I am puzzled by this, Theodore. I was convinced that I read most things Jovan Cvijic wrote, and I have no memory of it whatsoever - nor does Google show it at all. Actually, Jovan Cvijic was no poet at all, so it would shock me to hear that he actually wrote a poem at all. Confused Are you sure about that Felix?

P.S. Did anybody notice this save for me: Montenegrins pretty much took part in the 1990s, all major evil dudes were ethnic Montenegrins, all those that led Serbia, Montenegro AND the Serb Republic, and we see even the Montenegrin-made epic as raised in here - and yet Montenegro was removed from the Bosnian Genocide verdict in the end according to the wishes of the judges and it has an unnaturally huge appeal at the west, with its quite fishy quasi-dictatorship watched nice upon and all the benefits given to it, even despite some of the war criminals were actually hiding in it.

What's the case? Dead
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:53
Well the Highland Lute is not about a massacre. The essence of it is different. However, I am mentioning on how later nationalist figures reused or reinvented the poems that were originally romantic tales of a bygone era into the modern world.
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:57
For the Dinaric man to kill many Turks means not only to avenge his ancestors but also to ease their pains which he himself feels."

http://www.njegos.org/orthodoxy/kosovo.htm

This differs a big from my other quote so it might not be the same one. I believe it might have been a prose work.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 01-Aug-2008 at 00:01
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:01
Originally posted by Yugoslav

and does not present then's "evil genes" of the Montenegrins & Serbs as that writer would try to present

Nobody is talking about genes, Im talking about it from the development of extremist nationalism that was reborn at the end of Yugoslavia, especially seen among commanders, of Montenegrin origin themselves, who took part in the bloodiest field of the war: Bosnia. There a parallelism that lies between the poems and the recent events that cannot be missed.

The other poem I posted is from Jovan Cvijić, called 'The Dinaric Man'. It was printed a number of years prior to the Serbian re-entry.

Well, I am sure that there is no real reason in their (Radovan Karadzic, Slobodan Milosevic, Zeljko Raznatovic "Arkan", Veselin Sljivancanin,...) Montenegrin origin (there I was referring to the genes), nor that epic poems actually made all of them the war criminals they were, the case seems to be only with Radovan Karadzic, who indeed is a poet, and grew up on epic poetry. Of course I see the obvious connection, however it is not the epic's faultConfused ) that a man like Radovan Karadzic became that which he is, so that we should think that Njegos should've never written the Mountain Wreathe or nothing of it occurred, in hope that in the Yugoslav wars it would not resurge. I do really think that the connection can be made only in Rasho's case.

I must say that I am puzzled by this, Theodore. I was convinced that I read most things Jovan Cvijic wrote, and I have no memory of it whatsoever - nor does Google show it at all. Actually, Jovan Cvijic was no poet at all, so it would shock me to hear that he actually wrote a poem at all. Confused Are you sure about that Felix?

P.S. Did anybody notice this save for me: Montenegrins pretty much took part in the 1990s, all major evil dudes were ethnic Montenegrins, all those that led Serbia, Montenegro AND the Serb Republic, and we see even the Montenegrin-made epic as raised in here - and yet Montenegro was removed from the Bosnian Genocide verdict in the end according to the wishes of the judges and it has an unnaturally huge appeal at the west, with its quite fishy quasi-dictatorship watched nice upon and all the benefits given to it, even despite some of the war criminals were actually hiding in it.

What's the case? Dead

Yugoslav ffs man "ma scoti din sarite" the case friend is that the Hague is rubbish, false, a lie, a political tool and you have no reason other then to be a slave to those ideals to say that any of those people were war criminals. Even if they were, we have no real court to judge them upon, no fair trial, no nothing. So if you truley want to be neutral as you claim, you would wait to make up your mind once a real neutral court judges these cases, not the hague merde marathon they are running up in that place. The neutral you claim though your intentions are appriciated, is based in the (bad) assumption that the Hague is honest. Don't fool yourself. I used to be just like you. I was worse. I was anti Serb. i said "Good thing the Serbs got bombed in belgrade so the war could stop. Who cares if civilians died it stopped the war." And you know what, a bet a few people who posted in this thread and the other feel the same right now. But once you do your research you see that the story in Yugoslavia is quite different.

Do you mind if i ask what part of Yugoslavia you are from?
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:01

For the Dinaric man to kill many Turks means not only to avenge his ancestors but also to ease their pains which he himself feels."

http://www.njegos.org/orthodoxy/kosovo.htm

This differs a big from my other quote so it might not be the same one. I believe it might have been a prose work.

Oh wow the terrorist! He fought to kill the opressive tyrannical ottoman rule over his people. Surely a blood thirsty animal. Clap
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:07
Except that this killing was not manifested against soldiers but against the civilians that they saw as they entered Kosovo. Hence the subsequent death of 10,000+ Albanians in Kosovo between 1912-1929 and the displacement of tens of thousands more. Or the way Serbo-Montenegrin forces behaved in Albania from Shkoder to Durres, where over 10,000 Albanian Muslims were killed between the First Balkan War and the end of the first world war.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 01-Aug-2008 at 00:08
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:11

Albanians and Serbs would continually raid the houses of one another in the border with Montenegro.

In a way, I'd tend to disagree. There's always a good side, but the problem is that we remember only the bad things (whoever we are).

In fact, after long investigations of Serbo-Albanian relations in centuries, I've found much, much more good things than bad - and I have discovered that actually, most of the people are completely unaware of them (probably even you).

Ever heard of Marko Miljanov Popovic?
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:14

Except that this killing was not manifested against soldiers but against the civilians that they saw as they entered Kosovo. Hence the subsequent death of 10,000+ Albanians in Kosovo between 1912-1929 and the displacement of tens of thousands more. Or the way Serbo-Montenegrin forces behaved in Albania from Shkoder to Durres, where over 10,000 Albanian Muslims were killed between the First Balkan War and the end of the first world war.

Is that what they teach in KLA school? I don't doubt the Serbs who had been opressed by muslims for hundreds of years looked kindly upon the Albanians in any favorable manner but the story you are spinning reaks.

=================================

Friedrich Griesendorf, who died in 1958, was a very educated man. He was at one time a court clergyman for the German Kaiser, Wilhelm II. After World War II, he was a pastor in the Eversburg church parish where a camp of Serbian prisoners of war was located. Before retiring, he dedicated these lines to his German parishioners:

"Our country lost the war. The English, Americans and Russians won. Maybe they had much better equipment, larger armies, better leadership. In reality, it was an explicit material victory. They took the victory. However, here among us is one nation that won another more beautiful victory, a victory of the soul, a victory of the heart and honesty, a victory of peace and Christian love. THEY ARE THE SERBS. We knew them earlier, some a little and some not at all. But we all knew what we did in their homeland. We killed hundreds of the Serbs who defended their country for one of our soldiers who represented the occupier -- the oppressor. And not only that, we looked favorably when others shot at Serbs from all sides; The Croatians, the Italians, Albanians, Bulgarians and Hungarians. Yet we knew that among us in the prisoner of war camps were 5,000 Serbian officers, who earlier were the elite of the society and, who now resembled living skeletons, exhausted and spent from hunger. We knew that among the Serbs smoldered the belief 'He who does not revenge is not sanctified'."
"We are truly afraid of the revenge by these Serbian martyrs. We were afraid that after our capitulation they would do what we did to them. We imagined murder, plunder, rape, demolition and destruction of our homes. However, what happened? When the barbed wires were torn down and 5,000 Serbian skeletons found themselves free in our midst, those skeletons caressed our children. Only now can we understand why our greatest poet, Goethe, studied the Serbian language. Only now can we comprehend why the last word for Bismark, on his deathbed, was -- 'SERBIA.' That kind of victory is more sublime than a material victory. It seems to me that only the Serbs could win such a victory, being brought up in their St. Sava's spirit and epic poetry, which our Goethe loved so much. This victory will live for centuries in the souls of us Germans. I want to dedicate my last clergyman's sermon to that victory and the Serbs who won it."

Friedrick Griesendorf.
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:14

Yea, he was part Albanian. In Albanian tradition he is viewed as a sort of "lost brother" but nevertheless perceived as an enemy. Same with clans like the Kuci.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 01-Aug-2008 at 00:15
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:18
There you have it Yugoslav. He's a perceived enemy. A lost brother. It's funny everything you felix have accused the Serbs of doing, you and your people (according to you) already do and 10 times "better". I'm really starting to see and understand why talking is just a waste sometimes.
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:20
He was almost continually at war with Muslim Albs and as I have said before, this querilling today is seen as a sort of brotherly thing.

Is that what they teach in KLA school? I don't doubt the Serbs who had been opressed by muslims for hundreds of years looked kindly upon the Albanians in any favorable manner but the story you are spinning reaks.

What the hell does your quote prove? None of it talks about the Serbian re-entry into Kosovo just pieces from WWI. Did you know that during WWI there were a large group of Albanian volunteers in the Serbian force against the Bulgarians? Or that there were just as many Partisan Albanians as there were SS Skanderbeg members?

It does to show that you dont read anything other then what confirms your biased opinions. You seem to have some need to yap off even when you dont know what your talking about, you disregard any evidence others bring as "BS" or 'propaganda' as if your somehow the resident professor at this forum. All you show is just how much of a chauvinist you are. Not just in front of me but with nearly every person you have discussed with.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 01-Aug-2008 at 00:26
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:28

It proves that when an albanian does something to a serb you say well it's understandable, you're exact word. When some poem is written about 8 dudes running around in some village...oh my God it's the worse massacre ever!

By far the Albanian population found the nazi regime favorable to them. To deny this is a joke.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:30
Sorry but if bringing up the skewed version of history that Marko was a traitor really shows who the chauvinist is. If you want to discuss your opinion on me concerning that start a thread and for once bring an actual arguement to the table.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:31

Yea, he was part Albanian. In Albanian tradition he is viewed as a sort of "lost brother" but nevertheless perceived as an enemy. Same with clans like the Kuci.

Wait a minute - the Kucs are presented in Albanian folk tradition as enemies? Really? But the division in the clan was almost equal, in one moment practically almost half were Albanians, rather than Serbs.

I didn't knew this.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:39
Marko Miljanov Popovic wrote the book "Life and Traditions of Albanians", which is actually the very first incredibly detailed work on Albanian in foreign language. It was translated to English. The Western scholars read it and described that Marko Miljanov Popovic attempted to brake the stereotypes amongst the Serbs' about the Albanians.

Did you know that in the early 17th century the Serbs and Albanians acted as one body and without a leader, yet completely organized, liberated Herzegovina, Montenegro, northern Albania and the surrounding territories? Did you know that Albanian was the term used for Serbs for Kosovo by the very Serb spiritual leaders since the end of the century and into the early 18th from time to time to honor the Albanians?

Did you know that the very first professional philosopher amongst the Serbs was an Albanian?
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:43
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

Sorry but if bringing up the skewed version of history that Marko was a traitor really shows who the chauvinist is. If you want to discuss your opinion on me concerning that start a thread and for once bring an actual arguement to the table.

Theodore, what are you attacking Felix for? Telling the truth?

Although I'd like to hear some more details about Marko's case, I did not have the image that in Albania he is mostly perceived as a bad guy.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 01:15
I'm not Theodore and i wasn't attacking him. Itt was that he accuses the Serbs in a hypocritical manner.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 01:27
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello Carpathian

don't try to spin things around, es-bih brought quotes and there are videos showing that the church was directly involved in the conflic. Karazdic himself said that the church was the main partener in EVERY dicision made by the Serbs and this means that if they didn't outright bless Srebrinica, as the video of the scorpions show, they condoned it. Here is a scholarly article by a Balkan expert with links that shows how religion and religious establishments particularly the Catholic and Orthodox churches in the conflict.

Al-Jassas

You know it is funny that he by definition has proven himself wrong in the previous thread. He mentioned the Muslims are bla bla bla by religion this and that, we said it is against faight to forcibly convert, but that they did happen intermitently and spread out. Thus by this defenition he posts today that becaue it is against the Orthodox faith so it did not happen he means that no forcible conversions happened either Smile.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>