Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jerusalem and what should be done with it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jerusalem and what should be done with it?
    Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 07:38
It says "There is no consensus on the population of Palestine in the first century of the Common Era; estimates range from under 1 million to 6 million."

The population was big, as 1,1 million Jews perished in the revolt against Romans in 66 and 97.000 have been taken captives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_the_Land_of_Israel#The_Hasmonean_Kingdom_and_Roman_rule

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 09:00
Hello menu

Well even that number is too large, I think a number of around half a million is much more credible.

As for the population of islamic Palestine, well I returned to tax recods summaries of the 9th century published by Zaidan et al and it mentions that the total surplus of jund Filasteen (the province of Palestine) which is roughly most, but not all, present day Palestine, was 1.1 million golden Dinars including poll taxes. This is about half of what entered the Abbasid treasury from Egypt, roughly 2 million, and a fifth of what entered from Iraq, roughly 5 million. we know for certain that there were 600 thousand working male non muslims who were eligibale for paying the poll tax in Iraq and since Iraq was already well Islamized by the 9th century a rough estimate of the non muslim working male population of Palestine is between 100-150k people. This makes the total population of Palestine in the order of 800k, assuming the same number of working male and female and same number of muslims and non muslims.

Another note about estimates during the Ottoman empire, one thing the Ottoman records don't take into account is the bedouin population which would add about 100 thousand more people making Palestine roughly 500 thousand. Wales during that time had less than that figure though it is much bigger which means that all the talk about empty land is BS.

AL-Jassas
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 09:25
Search the web, you'll find that in the Great Revolt over 1 million Jews have been killed.

Together with abandonment, this lead to the depopulation of Palestine over the centuries.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 10:10
Josephus is hardly a credible source, I read his account long ago and I wasn't impressed. I fully doubt that a force of just 10 legions could defeat a million and a half people. Also there is no other source to verify that, all are supportive of Josephus's account.

on the other hand, we have a lot more detailed population from Arab sources, there were several censuses, mostly of the non muslim population. We have detailed censuses of certain cities, like Jerusalem, and we have detailed tax records of Poll tax and land revinues and all point to the fact that Palestine had the best of its time during the Islamic era between c.700 and c.1000 AD and that the population was about or even more than 1 million.

Al-Jassas
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 11:19
I don't know if the estimation is after Josephus' records, I think is rather a modern estination.

I believe that ~2,5 million was the population of Palestine before the Great Revolt. The gospels presents a densely populated Judea, with complex organized society.

Hebrewtext View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hebrewtext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 09:25
the Jews live in Jerusalem for the past 3000 years, the Jews made Jerusalem a significant cultural/civilization/religious center, that was copied inherited and used by Christianity and Islam .
if king David declared Gaza to be his capital (and the stories of Issac sacrifition/Jacob ladder happaned on mt. Moriah) than  Jesus  crusifiction  and Muhamad climbing the sky on al Buraq would take place in Gaza too.

Jerusalem population till 1945

Year Total Muslim Jewish Christian % Jews
18441 15,510 5,000 7,120 3,390 45.9
18762 25,030 7,560 12,000 5,470 47.9
18962 45,420 8,560 28,112 8,748 61.9
19223 52,081 13,411  33,971 4,699 65.2
19313 90,451 19,894 51,222 19,335 56.6
19454 164,330 33,680 99,320 31,330 60.4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Jerusalem

Edited by Hebrewtext - 01-Aug-2008 at 09:38
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 10:12
Your source undermines your argument.

Plus no-one has ever suggested that Palestinian Jews didn't make up a significant percentage of the population of either Jerusalem or Palestine at any point post-Moses. So showing that Jerusalem was 45% Jewish in 1844 is meaningless.
(and the stories of Issac sacrifition/Jacob ladder happaned on mt. Moriah) than  Jesus  crusifiction  and Muhamad climbing the sky on al Buraq would take place in Gaza too.

But they didn't. So that sentence is pointless too.

(But on another subject. Its very good to have an Israeli on AE! I look forward to reading your opinions - so make them good Wink)
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 16:06
Originally posted by Maharbbal

I'm sorry but the three religion do not hold a similar claim to the city.

For Islam it is only (at best) the third one. So Muslims do not have the same claim. Then for many Jews, despite the presence of the Temple, only God is supposed to restore Israel, so once more religiously Judaism is not supposed to hold Jerusalem. Only the Christians have a clear claim for the temporal government of the city. It is their #1 city. As such the pope should govern the city.

Very true.Not just Jerusalem,but all "Holy Lands" should be christian.The crusader states of Jerusalem,Antioch and all principalities should be rebuild.

BTW:Although i'm catholic,i believe the Byzantine Empire should've also prevailed,instead of the Ottoman Empire and today's Turkey.

Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 17:15
Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

Very true.Not just Jerusalem,but all "Holy Lands" should be christian.The crusader states of Jerusalem,Antioch and all principalities should be rebuild.

Why is that? Does Christians have more claim then others? Why would that be so? All have the same claim to the city, thus they should make it (as someone suggested before) an international city.
The reasons posted by Maharbbal are nonsense, perhaps for me they are not enough. Because if we look the teachings of the Bible (the new testament) then that city should be of no one.

Edited by Illirac - 01-Aug-2008 at 17:31
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 18:08

Sorry Wladyslaw, the crusades ended 700 years ago and it was they who invaded the country and were eventually defeated. The only rightful heir to the Levant was the old Byzantine empire which means that the current republic of Turkey, the heir of the Ottoman empire, is the rightful owner of the levant countries because the Sultan was the Empror of rome and Byzantium!

AL-Jassas
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 18:30
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Sorry Wladyslaw, the crusades ended 700 years ago and it was they who invaded the country and were eventually defeated. The only rightful heir to the Levant was the old Byzantine empire which means that the current republic of Turkey, the heir of the Ottoman empire, is the rightful owner of the levant countries because the Sultan was the Empror of rome and Byzantium!

AL-Jassas

Turks have nothing to do with the Byzantine Emprie.Turks emerged many centuries after the Byzantine Empire was created and simply conquered the remains of it.They didn't create it so they have no claim on its cultural and archeological heritage.Turks destroyed that Emprie and turned it into somethin very different.

And about the crusades,it was not the christians who attacked - it was the muslims that got out of the Arabian deserts with thousands and invaded the christian world,conquering everything on their way.The crusaders did not attack - they counter-attacked (a bit too late and too disorganised unfortunately).

And every historian knows however,that history repeats.(hopefully this time we'll do better). Wink 
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 18:52

AL-Jassas

Well, it depends how you want to determine who qualifies as an heir. Simply occupying a territory that was previously occupied is one way of doing it, but definitely not the most common. Still, if we are speaking of being the "heir" of the Roman Empire in the conventional sense, why not investigate the strongest claim: that of Russia? As I recall, in addition to the "Third Rome" theory (which speaks of their adoption of elements of Byzantine administration and the Orthodox faith), the Tsars also had a connection or two to the Byzantine royal family. The problem is, the Tsars no longer govern Russia; the tragedy of the Russian Revolution and the triumph of the Bolsheviks broke that chain. Then, of course, the modern Russian government could also lay claim along the same lines. Or perhaps we should say that the modern Communist party is the true heir to the glory of Rome and, consequently, her ancient territorial claims? And if they are not, perhaps we should look to those who wish to restore the monarchy? What of Spain? As I recall, the Spanish royal house at once had some claim to a connection with the Byzantine royal family, and there is still a king of Spain. Now I'm not up on my Spanish history as much as I should be, but haven't there been several dynasties since then?

Of course, if we are to follow the reasoning you used in assigning the status to Turkey one step further -- to its logical conclusion -- we should say that the modern state of Israel is the true heir to the particular area which once composed the Roman province of Judaea. Then again, I fail to understand why we, in this particular scenario, have completely omitted the Latin claims on the region from the historical record -- and followed them down through the ages to modern France, Britain, Italy, Spain and Germany. Wink

The point is that it is largely fruitless to base claims to be heirs of this or that ancient kingdom without taking the broader historical narrative into account. It is impossible to excise our brains from our modern political beliefs; things like self-determination, modern nationalism, and cultural pride. And this is why it is frustrating to see so many violent and unreasonable threads spring up in certain sections of this forum on precisely this subject.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 01-Aug-2008 at 18:54
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 20:17
Douglas Addams had the answer to who should rule the world - someone who doesn't believe the world exists, because evidently anyone who wishes to rule is thereby disqualified from being suitable. So the ideal ruler of Jerusalem would be someone who doesn't think there really are such things as Muslims, Christians and Jews.

Alternatively everyone could listen to Blake and build their own Jerusalem:
Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold:
Bring me my Chariot of fire!
I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England’s green & pleasant Land.

(vociferously sung with much waving of union flags  or Crosses of St George for purists.)
Fill in your own replacement for England, and make other changes as appropriate.

PS: I might start a military history thread with a three way poll on bows of burning gold vs arrows of desire vs chariots of fire.

Edited by gcle2003 - 01-Aug-2008 at 20:19
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 20:50

AL-Jassas

Confused

Yea...no.

If we take it by religion all of the 3 faiths and its branches consider the others wrong. For example I consider Orthodox Christianity the contiunuation of the Jewish Faith. Why? We maintained the original old testament while the jews today use the redition of the Mesoretic texts. The Jews of today see it differently as do the Muslims and so on and so forth.

If we go by race again similar arguements.

I think Jerusalem should be given to the peaceful. It should be its own administrated mini state with no loyalty but its people, made up of a council of members from all groups living in the city. The city should belong to those who uphold peace in it. Those who do not are the enemy and do not belong. Christian, jew and muslim should live in peace as equals.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 22:04
Sorry man but religion has nothing to do with the argument at hand, religion owns nothing because what is religion? it is a concept not a state. The land was the property of its people and the people are now majority muslims and descendents of converts and/or immigrants period. "Christians" of Europe have as much claim on the levant as I do to Windsor.

as for heirs to Byzantium, well Muhammad II took the title of Caesar of Rome and Empror of Byzantium after the conquest of constantinople and If I am not mistaken the church accepted him as such because he had the power to appoint bishops and interfer in church matters which make the ottomans the last of the Caesarian dynasties. This means that my logic is actually correct.

Al-Jassas
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 23:18
"Sorry man but religion has nothing to do with the argument at hand, religion owns nothing because what is religion? it is a concept not a state. The land was the property of its people and the people are now majority muslims and descendents of converts and/or immigrants period. "Christians" of Europe have as much claim on the levant as I do to Windsor. "

If you'd care to read my comment carefully I didn't say anything different. Religion is pointless to use to judge who it belongs to.

"as for heirs to Byzantium, well Muhammad II took the title of Caesar of Rome and Empror of Byzantium after the conquest of constantinople and If I am not mistaken the church accepted him as such because he had the power to appoint bishops and interfer in church matters which make the ottomans the last of the Caesarian dynasties. This means that my logic is actually correct."

"as for heirs to Byzantium, well Muhammad II took the title of Caesar of Rome and Empror of Byzantium after the conquest of constantinople and If I am not mistaken the church accepted him as such because he had the power to appoint bishops and interfer in church matters which make the ottomans the last of the Caesarian dynasties. This means that my logic is actually correct."

The Church may have accepted his little non sense under threat. I doubt they were jumping for joy at mehmed II. If he did have the power to appoint bishops it is irrelevant as the only purpose that had was to keep the Orthodox population calmed. In any case there is also Russia who claims to be heirs of Byzantium as well Greece today and even Romania who's Mihai was part of the Cantacuzino royal family of Constantinople. In any case ALL of these are irrelevant because someone jewish can say "Well we were there before the Romans." So again it doesn't matter in any case. I stick by my proposal.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 00:31

Sorry man but religion has nothing to do with the argument at hand, religion owns nothing because what is religion? it is a concept not a state. The land was the property of its people and the people are now majority muslims and descendents of converts and/or immigrants period. "Christians" of Europe have as much claim on the levant as I do to Windsor.

as for heirs to Byzantium, well Muhammad II took the title of Caesar of Rome and Empror of Byzantium after the conquest of constantinople and If I am not mistaken the church accepted him as such because he had the power to appoint bishops and interfer in church matters which make the ottomans the last of the Caesarian dynasties. This means that my logic is actually correct.

Al-Jassas

With respect, my objection to your reasoning still stands. The Tsars claimed to be heirs to the Byzantines as well. Furthermore, your reasoning, if followed consistently to the present, would lead us to conclude that the modern nation-state of Israel is the proper "heir" to Jerusalem and the immediate surrounding area.

All you have done is to appeal to continuity -- ignoring the fact that there are many breaks, both dynastic and territorial -- and then arbitrarily select a state that, quite frankly, doesn't even have the strongest claim according to your method of determining historical ownership or "heirdom". The point of my earlier post was not to say that the Europeans have any claim -- indeed I mentioned them as an afterthought. It was simply to point out the futility of the particular proposed method of determining rightful ownership.

Furthermore, I don't believe that the majority of people currently in Jerusalem are Muslim -- feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. And if you are speaking of the demographics at a particular point in history, I would simply point out that I could just as easily say that the land belonged to the Christians, or the Jews, or the Baal worshiping Canaanites on the same grounds.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 02-Aug-2008 at 00:34
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 02:09
The ottomans really did continue the Byzantine Empire in many respects, especially in secular and cultural respects. Russia's claim to being the 3rd Rome is purely religious idealism. They only claimed that because they were the only powerful independent orthodox state at the time.
The ottomans on the other hand ruled the same people, the same land, in a similar manner, fought the same enemies. Prayed in the same buildings, payed their taxes to the same place etc etc
Furthermore, I don't believe that the majority of people currently in Jerusalem are Muslim -- feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. And if you are speaking of the demographics at a particular point in history, I would simply point out that I could just as easily say that the land belonged to the Christians, or the Jews, or the Baal worshiping Canaanites on the same grounds.

But whether Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or Baal worshipping they were always Palestinian.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 02:19
Really? Where is the Roman/Greek culture in Turkish Empire? I missed it Omar. I don't see it from papuc to fez. And they did NOT fight the same enemies. The Ottoman Empire was the islamic caliphate that conquored a weakened and besieged eastern Roman Empire. Mehmed's claim is more political idealism.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 03:29
Really? Where is the Roman/Greek culture in Turkish Empire? I missed it Omar. I don't see it from papuc to fez.

Clearly you aren't looking. Lets start with the role of the Ayia Sofia and end with food and coffee. The only difference is the religion of the state!
And they did NOT fight the same enemies.

Persians, Latins, Slavs, Germans and Turks? Hmmm, that's the same list to me....
The Ottoman Empire was the islamic caliphate that conquored a weakened and besieged eastern Roman Empire.

Wrong. The Ottoman Empires was not a Caliphate until 60 years after the fall of the Roman Empire. Nor was the pre Caliphate Empire particularly Islamic, the ruling class were muslims, but the state wasn't an islamic state, and the majority of the population was christian
Mehmed's claim is more political idealism.

Mehmeds claim to be Roman Emperor was an attempt to pre-empt this conversation basically (A political stunt). It didn't work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>