Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mongol Armor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mongol Armor?
    Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 21:57
Originally posted by jstampfl

Here are two photos from the Mongolian National History Museum.

http://jts88.com/images/mail.jpg

http://jts88.com/images/soldieroutfit.jpg

The leather armour is one of those donated by the film co isn't it ?
The holster quiver is wrong (only became comon under the Manchu's several hundred years after the Mongols)
rgds.

Tom..
Animal Weretiger View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Animal Weretiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 22:27

Originally posted by poirot

Nice! Is that you wearing the lamellar?  You look like a famous Celtic Chieftan!!!

Yah, that's me. My actual heritage is Celtic but for the hobby I do I like the Mongol stuff way better. It's a blast learning about that history and I appreciate all the help from you folks.

By the saber in my hand, by the bow at my hip, I attest these words are true.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2005 at 09:20
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 02:11
Originally posted by Animal Weretiger

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/ratangei/Me.jpg

This is my lamellar. Thanks to you who posted pictures, you helped a lot. I appreciate it.

didn't mean to be an arse...but those sneakers?

Animal Weretiger View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Animal Weretiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 22:40

You arent being an arse at all, those are in fact cleats. I have a foot drop which resulted from paralysis. They corrected most of my problems with surgery but they couldnt correct that. So I find when I fight outside on grass I need the cleats or else I have a world of problems. I tried my ass off to make the proper boots to cover them, but I couldnt figure out how to do the toes properly. So I did the best I could and that was to make the upper parts of the boots and put them on over top of the cleats. From a distance it looks ok. I'm not happy with the looks 100% but for now its a lot better than just the cleats alone. Since this isnt choreographed fighting there are performance issues I have to contend with as well as looking the best I can historically.

I'm in the middle with the red spear in this shot, you get a better idea of hte whole effect.

By the saber in my hand, by the bow at my hip, I attest these words are true.
chonos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote chonos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 00:23

from mongolian movie "Chingis Khaan"

another pic

these are real mongols in a real mongol movie

"uukhaai..."

Edited by chonos
sinosword View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sinosword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 06:40

Originally posted by perdon

mogols are like this? I think they look like chinese!!!

how the f**k would chinese look like that! we look like this~

SaikhaNBayar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote SaikhaNBayar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 10:51

The 800th Anniversary of the Great Mongolian State. 2006
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 21:59
Originally posted by sinosword

Originally posted by perdon

mogols are like this? I think they look like chinese!!!

how the f**k would chinese look like that! we look like this~

The armor from Han Wu Da Di is highly inaccurate.  Great series and songs, but not very accurate in terms of military uniform.  Clay figurines dating from the Former Han Dynasty show that Han infantry did not have plate armor, and Former Han soldiers rarely wore metal helms that covered the head entirely.   The helms shown are more indicative of the Northern Wei helms circa 500 A.D. 

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

cliveersknell View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 23:26
Poirot
How about the Xiongnu uniforms, are they acccurate?
r's
Clive
Turkic10 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Turkic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 12:20

The series can be ordered at the following link, It's the third one from the bottom. Even tho it's in Mandarin it's a great series. It covers his life from birth to his death.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/Search/SearchResult.aspx 

Admonish your friends privately, praise them publicly.
Turkoglu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 15:45

tubo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote tubo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 02:57

these mongols look like shigatse tibetans...hehehe

chingiz looks like my dad.

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 07:39
Turkoglu,

Interesting drawing, is it from a book?

odd saddle, very late champhron and no bow, but nice active image.

Edited by tadamson
rgds.

Tom..
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 13:55
yes, it's from Mongol Warrior 1200-1350 (Warrior 84) by Stephen Turnbull from Osprey
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 08:23
Originally posted by Temujin

yes, it's from Mongol Warrior 1200-1350 (Warrior 84) by Stephen Turnbull from Osprey

ok  a Wayne Reynolds drawing...

For those that are interested...

The helmets look a little to Persian.
The metal shield wouldn't be used by a fully armoured horseman, and metal shields were  very rare prior to the 15th C.
The file is a modern western one -  should be no tang, half round and much smaller.
The axe doesn't match any illustations or archeological examples I can think of.
The sword is a very odd shape.
There should be a large bowcase and bow at his left hip.
A box 'hourglass' quiver on his right.
The lassoo is way over scale.
rgds.

Tom..
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 15:14
I disagree with the shield, in fact shields were widely used by Mongols
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 20:43
Originally posted by Temujin

I disagree with the shield, in fact shields were widely used by Mongols

Not by heavy cavalry though..

Illustrations of heavily armoured steppe cavalry with shields are virtualy non exsistant.  Ther are illustrations from the mid 14th C onwards of lighter cavalry (helmet, brigantine, unarmoured horse) using shields.

The shield combined with a long heavy sword (often called a saddle sword as it was hung from the saddle) was one of the melee weapons used by steppe cavalry (alternatives were a light lance used two handed, a two handed mace, or the heavy bow with heavy arrows).

Metal shields  are extreemly rare before the 15th C and were most popular in Persia.

Mongols used shields (they are in all illustrations of naval and siege warfare) and from 1204 onwards shields were stored and issued by the household (kessig/keshik) of each prince (well just Temuljins own in 1204)
rgds.

Tom..
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 06:50

According to Carpini, shields were rare, and were mostly used on guard-duty

Reynolds' drawing resembles a timurid cavalryman rather than a 13th century mongol

Edited by Mangudai
Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 16:56

Turnbull of course isn't an authority on Mognols anyways, and the book is mediocre to say at least...

re: shields. well, Gorelik, who is the authority on Steppe archaeology (armoury & weapons) always depicts Mongols with shields, including heavy cavalry, but then, he always only shows warriors which have the hgihest possible status and the most armour & equippment possible,s till i think shields are fairly common for mongols and not uncommon for heavy cavalry, Timurs heavy cavalry and heavy cavalry of Mamelukes for example also used shields.

Edited by Temujin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>