Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Albanians in Kosovo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albanians in Kosovo
    Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 18:42
They probably killed the Turkish soldiers and let those live who said they wanted to convert. It wasn't "convert or die" it was "get out of the lands or die but if you want to convert we forgive you." What you are discribing is completely unlike Orthodox theology. It's okay, your misunderstanding.

The Mountain Wreath doesnt just talk about killing Turkish soldiers but of killing and slaughtering anything Muslims. The idea is some kind of cleansing. Furtherdown there are mentions of the destruction of property and mosques, the idea of making Muslim families squirm.

Turk is not synonymous with Muslim. In the Balkans we often use the term "pagan" and "Mahomedan" at least in Romania. We understand the difference between a Turk and another ethnicity.

Romania was never fully in the empire. If you ever go to Greece or Serbia, Turk was often used as a word for Muslim. If you look at Mladic's speach prior to Srebrenica, he mentions the idea of taking back the city from the 'Turk'. Greeks called Albanians of Muslim descent "Turkoalavanoi"

Edited by Theodore Felix - 31-Jul-2008 at 18:47
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 19:43
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello Carpathian

don't try to spin things around, es-bih brought quotes and there are videos showing that the church was directly involved in the conflic. Karazdic himself said that the church was the main partener in EVERY dicision made by the Serbs and this means that if they didn't outright bless Srebrinica, as the video of the scorpions show, they condoned it. Here is a scholarly article by a Balkan expert with links that shows how religion and religious establishments particularly the Catholic and Orthodox churches in the conflict.

Al-Jassas

Yea I saw the quotes. Mladic said now that they had retaken Srebrenica they would bring vengeance upon the Turks. Show me where that says the slaughter of civilians.

For the millionth time nobody here showed any proof of any genocide, or any mass murder of Muslims in Srebrenica. All you have brought was some mopey bosniak propaganda film that showed nothing other then Bosniaks being bussed out of Srebrenica wherever they wanted to go.

Nice article. "The ultimate goal is a pan slavic christo state blah blah blah" Sounds like some sort of anti semetic wahabi rambling. "The ultimate goal of the jew is a jewish state etc etc"

I'm so tired of people commenting so ignorantly upon Orthodoxy without understanding the theology and by their ignorance they try to make it seem out to be pretty much the Catholic Church. None of those things are relevant. Again you are trying to make the Orthodox who fought in their defense for their lands out to be the same as the muslim extremists.

Did you know that in Orthodox theology a soldier, killing even in defence is denied the eucharist for 2 years after penanace? Forced conversions simply don't happen. So much for the "expert". What you call expert I call ignorant twat and whoever wrote that is for sure one. He shows not even an ounce of basic Orthodox theological understanding. Rubbish from a jihadist apologetic.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 19:45
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

They probably killed the Turkish soldiers and let those live who said they wanted to convert. It wasn't "convert or die" it was "get out of the lands or die but if you want to convert we forgive you." What you are discribing is completely unlike Orthodox theology. It's okay, your misunderstanding.

The Mountain Wreath doesnt just talk about killing Turkish soldiers but of killing and slaughtering anything Muslims. The idea is some kind of cleansing. Furtherdown there are mentions of the destruction of property and mosques, the idea of making Muslim families squirm.

Turk is not synonymous with Muslim. In the Balkans we often use the term "pagan" and "Mahomedan" at least in Romania. We understand the difference between a Turk and another ethnicity.

Romania was never fully in the empire. If you ever go to Greece or Serbia, Turk was often used as a word for Muslim. If you look at Mladic's speach prior to Srebrenica, he mentions the idea of taking back the city from the 'Turk'. Greeks called Albanians of Muslim descent "Turkoalavanoi"

But again you are hearing what you want to hear. The killing of civilians which goes directly against the "fanatical" Orthodox theology. It just doesn't happen. Murder and forced conversions in Orthodoxy is like eating pork in Islam. No priest would push for one just as no imam would push for the other.

I can understand the property destruction such as a mosque which was a symbol of opression in the ideas of the Orthodox for many years under the tyrannical turkish rule.
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 19:55
No priest would push for one just as no imam would push for the other.

No one would, no one would... blah blah, Njegos was a cleric and he was the one who wrote the poem. Even more, in the poem we hear of the orthodox clergy rejoicing in the massacre. Njegos' poem tells of soldiers reporting these massacres to the metropolitan, who listens to everything with delight.

On the whole, there is a large amount cooperation with the clergy in the story.

I can understand the property destruction such as a mosque which was a symbol of opression in the ideas of the Orthodox for many years under the tyrannical turkish rule.

Its symbolic of the hatred and that this poem and many similar ones, such as Cvijic's poem about Kosovo, where once again there are mentions of rejoicing at the slaughter of Muslims. These poems are still popular among the Serbian nationalists, Karadzic did recitations of them. This self-victimization of Serbs with these poems have led to so much of the suffering in the Balkans today.

As Tim Judah put it, in the Serb consciousness 'ideas of national liberation became inextricably intertwined with the act of killing your neighbor and burning his village.'(Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia)
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 20:09

No priest would push for one just as no imam would push for the other.

No one would, no one would... blah blah, Njegos was a cleric and he was the one who wrote the poem. Even more, in the poem we hear of the orthodox clergy rejoicing in the massacre. Njegos' poem tells of soldiers reporting these massacres to the metropolitan, who listens to everything with delight.

On the whole, there is a large amount cooperation with the clergy in the story.

Its symbolic of the hatred and that this poem and many similar ones, such as Cvijic's poem about Kosovo, where once again there are mentions of rejoicing at the slaughter of Muslims. These poems are still popular among the Serbian nationalists, Karadzic did recitations of them. This self-victimization of Serbs with these poems have led to so much of the suffering in the Balkans today.

As Tim Judah put it, in the Serb consciousness 'ideas of national liberation became inextricably intertwined with the act of killing your neighbor and burning his village.'(Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia)

Show the whole poem. I don't want your spin on it. We can go poem by poem and we can discuss it. So far i don't believe any of the rubbish you say.
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 20:12
You can read the whole poem here: http://www.rastko.org.yu/knjizevnost/njegos/njegos-mountain_wreath.html

And Im not here to make you believe anything, you made up your mind a long time ago and nothing I say or present could ever change your views.

Here is a journal article on the topic: http://masud.co.uk/ISLAM/ahm/the_churches_and_the_bosnian_war.htm#_ednref67

The article is on the whole very pro-Muslim, however it contains a few anecdotes here or there, particularly from Michael Sells which have meaning.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 31-Jul-2008 at 20:18
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 20:19
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

And please keep that strawman non sense out of here. Nobody is accusing every muslim of being a hard liner jihadist so get off the victim's soap box.

Sadly, I know myself a few retards who do.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 20:23

You can read the whole poem here: http://www.rastko.org.yu/knjizevnost/njegos/njegos-mountain_wreath.html

And Im not here to make you believe anything, you made up your mind a long time ago and nothing I say or present could ever change your views.

Here is a journal article on the topic: http://masud.co.uk/ISLAM/ahm/the_churches_and_the_bosnian_war.htm#_ednref67

The article is on the whole very pro-Muslim, however it contains a few anecdotes here or there, particularly from Michael Sells which have meaning.

I've always found Serbian poetry to be beautiful and honestly i'd love to read through it all but i simply don't have time. I'm literally going through my place, rounding stuff up and taking little 2 min breaks inbetween to reply. So if you can copy and paste that single poem that talked about what you said it  would be nice. Thanks in advance.
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 20:31
Its not a single poem, its an entire epic poem, I brought to you an excerpt from it. The Metropolitan complains that the land "reeks of a false religion" and gives command to a sort of cleansing of the territory.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 20:37
Poem also talks about bringing old Serbian warriors back to life. That must be true too.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 22:24

Its not a single poem, its an entire epic poem, I brought to you an excerpt from it. The Metropolitan complains that the land "reeks of a false religion" and gives command to a sort of cleansing of the territory.

It's a poem describing an event. The "reeks of a false religion" is actually nothing out of the ordinary and quite common (for Montenegro, Albania, whomever). We must understand the quite understandable hostility in lands which were occupied by a foreign enemy, that also brings in a totally different religion. We must keep on our minds that the Ottoman Empire destroyed the Serbian Empire and that in Montenegro this was deeply preserved and implanted in every person through national myths, as well as this parchment of land was actually being run by a Metropolitan - Montenegro was a Theocratic State, based on Eastern Orthodox ideals, in which the fighters served under banners which had the Christian Crosses on them. Now I want you people to understand me, that I am not attempting to justify anything, let alone unjust murder of innocent people just because they are of different beliefs, but we have to understand those dark and primitive times Montenegro was pushed in, in which the two warring sides were constantly killing each other day after day, and in particular the Ottoman Turks indeed were the cause of that.

Now, we need to understand the events that led to the "Investigation of the Turcists", as well as to understand Metropolitan Danilo Petrovic-Njegos of Cetinje himself and his actions. Now, sometime after 1702, Prince-Bishop Danilo was in a village in Zeta called "Serbian", sanctifying a newly built small Church. However, he was found by a Turkish patrol and kidnapped in there using trickery. He was brought upon as a prisoner of a certain Demir-pasa. Demir-pasa and his men had gathered up an Islamic court, and Danilo was sentenced to death for spreading the wrong faith. However, Damir-pasa didn't have him killed, but tortured instead, asking him to first confess his sins. He also ransomed his release to the Montenegrin Council for 600 tseklins. He was tortured and tortured over and over again day after day (thus, who knows how much mutilated with scars), until the ransom was finally paid and he was released.

Ever since his return, he had a big change of personality. He turned quite Islamophobic, and others recorded that he always dreamt about revenge, especially seen in "cleansing" his land of the Turks, in which case he completely identified the religion with the Ottomans and found no difference whatsoever in any case.

From time to time he asked prominent Montengrin Chieftains to lead their brotherhoods to strike at the Turks, demanding from them to expel from their ranks anyone of Moslem religion. However - not a single one agreed to do that, both because the Montenegrin wanted to pertain unity with the domestic Muslims, who belong to the same clan, the very same Slavic/Serb ethnicity, and because any loss of manpower is not acceptable for every normal commander.

The neighboring Turks have discovered that, and were preparing a response for Montenegro. Upon hearing that he wants them excommunicated from their communities, the local Montenegrin Muslims threatened to him, prominent Muslims from Montenegro wrote death threats to Danilo. This made the Metropolitan scary, or better, I should say, tradionally paranoid. He wanted to deal with all local Muslims at once, he found that the problem has reached its pinnacle. Danilo knew he could not rely on the majority of the faithful Orthodox folk, so he gathered a group of most confidential and loyal people, who would forcefully convert to Orthodoxy all local Muslims - or as an alternative, kill them - according to the plan which he made. He called Vuk Borilovic and four brothers from the Martinovic brotherhood with the effort to make this happen, but they refused, saying the whole thing is too risky. They forced the Metropolitan to find at least three more men, making it a lot harder, until they finally all agreed.

In the middle of a night in 1707 it happened. Now, the first problem about the event is overestimation of this whole unfortunate event. A total of 8 men were involved, the evildoings were conducted in the tribes of Cetinje and Ceklici, which are as you all know tiny small parchments of land with small populations in only villages, the whole thing occurred obviously in the period from midnight to morning (which is very short), and of the 8 only 1 was actually wounded (and barely), the other 7 left unharmed; and as I already pointed out, only 9 people knew actually about the whole operation. This all, as the historical science in general, tells us that this is indeed a completely marginal, and even irrelevant moment in Montenegro's history or the general conflict. There were far greater massacres before and after, on both sides. The Muslims in Cetinje were given the right to just convert to Orthodoxy (which it would seem a minority chose), or they throat was cut slit on spot, by this group that broke into every Moslem house one by one. One would ask how everyone knew who was a Muslim? Well, precisely because of the 8 men, they actually knew everyone that lived in both of the places! That's how small the whole region was. Someone warned the Muslims in Ceklici, so only several were killed and the others fled in fear out of the region. The houses of the Muslims that fled were torched, quite probably to prevent the possibility of their return. Their rock (place of prayer) was stoned and destroyed, just as a small mosque that stood in the center (it was burning when dawn was already there).
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 22:44
Yet the issue of killing Muslims comes back, especially in poems like 'The Dinaric Man', which states that 'To kill lots of Turks is for him the only way of avenging his ancestors.' And when Serbs re-entered Kosova in 1912, this poem along with the actions of the Mountain Wreath seemed to have become a model for their actions. Only the Turk became the Albanian.

In an article just recently posted in the NY Times:

Mr. Karadzic was intimately familiar with Serbian epic poetry. A skillful player of the gusle, a single-string fiddle traditionally accompanying the oral performance of epic poems, he clearly understood his role in the light cast by Vladika Danilo. He recognized himself in the martyrdom of leadership; he believed that he was the one to finish the job that Vladika Danilo started; he saw himself as the hero in an epic poem that would be sung by a distant future generation.

Genocide's Epic Hero

Edited by Theodore Felix - 31-Jul-2008 at 22:49
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 22:46
in albanian national myth sure. You were the defenceless passive resistance peaceful loving people while the serbs were the evil war mongerers based a poem...awesome.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 22:54
Now, this is the map of the Cetinje with all of its settlements:

And these are the Ceklics:

And this is all of Danilo's Montenegro:

On it, the number 1 is Cetinje and number 3 the Ceklics, to the left.

The following is the development of Montenegro, and in some changes it correspond's today's. The dark blue to the lower left is the "Old Montenegro" that was in Danil's time:

And let us determine the total size of the population, and also keep on mind at the same time that only a small handful of it was of Islamic faith. According to the Ottoman census from 1523:

* Cetinje - 97 houses

* Ceklics - 45 houses

We should keep in mind that the event occurred over 180 years after this census. But to demonstrate the increase of the population, I shall present the Montenegrin population census from the period of 200 years afterward, 1910:

* Cetinje - 487

* Ceklics - 188

Which shall further define the precise magnitude of this event.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 22:56
I'd also like to add that if there was no Mountain Wreathe, an epic work written 140 years after this whole thing, we would've not anything at all about the event, since it's practically primary (and very close to being the sole) source. 
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:16
Tthe precise appearance of this as a myth is precisely because of Danilo himself. He indoctrinized that, made it a legend in Montenegro (this, completely marginal but indeed unfortunate event), in order to not let the Turkish faith spread into Montenegro, he made sure that this event is remembered - and therefore, folk telling handpicked it to become some sort of a turning point of Montenegro's liberation from Ottoman Empire, as the day when Montenegro is no longer under Ottoman grip and independent. Therefore, it was sang to, in 1847 the pinnacle of Montenegrin/Serbian epic was written in dedication to the event (which actually made the broader Serb public introduced to the whole thing), in 1937 the text for the modern Anthem of the Republic of Montenegro was composed celebrating the cleansing of Montenegro from the infidels - and that changed today. It is the evolution of the human society, and does not present then's "evil genes" of the Montenegrins & Serbs as that writer would try to present - in 2004 when the national song was elected by the parliament the new Anthem of Montenegro, the verses celebrating the massacre were left out.

Now, nobody actually complained about this in particular anyone - in Montenegro or outside, west or east (and the Mountain Wreathe was translated to Japanese and became very, very well known in Japan, as well as Great Britain) that this is even remotely horrible - not even the Muslims in the Balkans themselves. It only occurred with the Yugoslav wars, and only in this a bit odd attempt to actually connect ethnic cleansing and war crimes that occurred with an event recorded in a letter and various versions of folk telling during the Age of Romantic Nationalism, when there was lawlessness (and in technical eyes, when a Christian killed a Muslim or vice versa on religious basis he committed no crime whatsoever and doesn't need to answer for anything)...I always attempt to be neutral in everything, but this indeed is Serbophobia.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:22
Because serbophobia is exactly what motivates many people here to post and people in the world. They will try to take anything to justify, to hide, to take out of context anything and everything. I mean we can quote the Koran stating that the world is divided in two, a muslim world and an infidel world of war and the infidels are to be killed or to be made to submit and become slaves. That would be more relevant to the discussion then some poem about 8 or 9 guys running around Montenegro.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:31

Yet the issue of killing Muslims comes back, especially in poems like 'The Dinaric Man', which states that 'To kill lots of Turks is for him the only way of avenging his ancestors.' And when Serbs re-entered Kosova in 1912, this poem along with the actions of the Mountain Wreath seemed to have become a model for their actions. Only the Turk became the Albanian.

In an article just recently posted in the NY Times:

Mr. Karadzic was intimately familiar with Serbian epic poetry. A skillful player of the gusle, a single-string fiddle traditionally accompanying the oral performance of epic poems, he clearly understood his role in the light cast by Vladika Danilo. He recognized himself in the martyrdom of leadership; he believed that he was the one to finish the job that Vladika Danilo started; he saw himself as the hero in an epic poem that would be sung by a distant future generation.

Genocide's Epic Hero

I only stood by what I wanted to say, and that is some sort of demonizing of Montenegrins & Serbs because of their epic telling hundreds of years ago, which is indeed illogical fallacy.

To use some analogy, I shall quote a great Albanologist, Mary Edith Durham, High Albania, 1909:

"'´Servian!´ said an Albanian to me but a month or two ago. ´Servian ! Yes, I have heard so much that I understand it, but I will not soil my mouthby repeating their dirty words!´

´Why do you hate them so?´ I asked.

´Because,´ he replied calmly, ´we are born like that. It is in our blood

´Like cats and dogs,´ said I.

´Exactly so, mademoiselle. It is like cats and dogs.´

Things look so different through other windows. When the Albanian loots or burns a Slav village, his act, in the eyes of Europe, is ´an atrocity.´ Seen through Albanian glasses it is quite another color.

And of course, if I would actually use this in an attempt to make some point (you all know what I am alluding to) - which is the last thing on my mind (or to get a better impression, not even the last) - I'd be definitely with an anti-Albanian sentiment.

By the way, what is that poem from 1912? Who wrote it?

P.S. Yes, that about Radovan Karadzic from NYT should be correct, for an example like Ramush Haradinaj interprets the things archaicly today, like the way Durham described it.
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:36
and does not present then's "evil genes" of the Montenegrins & Serbs as that writer would try to present

Nobody is talking about genes, Im talking about it from the development of extremist nationalism that was reborn at the end of Yugoslavia, especially seen among commanders, of Montenegrin origin themselves, who took part in the bloodiest field of the war: Bosnia. There a parallelism that lies between the poems and the recent events that cannot be missed.

The other poem I posted is from Jovan Cvijić, called 'The Dinaric Man'. It was printed a number of years prior to the Serbian re-entry.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 31-Jul-2008 at 23:39
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:38
Also a lot of parallelism between islam in the 90s and the 500 + years of opression.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>