Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are the best armies ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are the best armies ever?
    Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 14:51
it was not Tokugawa but Hideyoshi who invaded Korea.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 15:12

"Well, no matter, I'm sure that their 100% byzantine infantry proved more efficent than any other infantry at that time, since they were descendants of the romans (who were quite nasty, as everyone knows)."

No, the Byzantine infantry is not highly developed and no way the most efficient, not even including their metallurgy and missile inferiority to the Age of Fragmentation infantries, their infantry played a secondary role to their cavalry. Although they did attack in certain circumstances, they are little more than a base which the cavalry maneuvred, where in the central Plain the infantry was used as a primary offensive weapon like the later Swiss infantry which attacked in coordination with the cavalry. Add to this is the powerful crossbow drills used along with the composite bow that could pierce heavy armours which the Byzantine lacked.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 15:14

"Perhaps the 13th century samurai, but the 16th and 17th century samurai were not very efficent. Only against each other."

The 13th century Samurai aren't even disciplined, they fought in a feudal chivary fasion which is obviously way inferior to those of the 16th century which also used far superior equipments.

EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 16:49

"it was not Tokugawa but Hideyoshi who invaded Korea."

I learn something new everyday.

"

No, the Byzantine infantry is not highly developed and no way the most efficient, not even including their metallurgy and missile inferiority to the Age of Fragmentation infantries, their infantry played a secondary role to their cavalry. Although they did attack in certain circumstances, they are little more than a base which the cavalry maneuvred, where in the central Plain the infantry was used as a primary offensive weapon like the later Swiss infantry which attacked in coordination with the cavalry. Add to this is the powerful crossbow drills used along with the composite bow that could pierce heavy armours which the Byzantine lacked."

During the dark ages, I'm sure they could take on most other infantry, tho.

"

The 13th century Samurai aren't even disciplined, they fought in a feudal chivary fasion which is obviously way inferior to those of the 16th century which also used far superior equipments."

Don't know much about them, that's why I left that option open. But I still hold my opinion about the 16th and 17th century samurai.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 07:22

EvilNed, what do you think that a warrior is? I understand you if you say that samurais was not good warriors or if you prefer the soldier to the warrios, that is debately; but if you are thinking that they was not warriors, this is a great mistake and a horrible, excuse me, ignorance.

The evolution of the japanese warfare is very complicated and you are generalizing all.

Before XIV century the main battles of japanese was very chaotic battles of horse archer and one vs one, although they were very good fighters in close combat too; the mongol invasion showed that mongol armies were better, but samurais fought fiercely and the mongols never could operate easy. Many battles were fought and the mongols couldn't took a good, e umm (what is the word?), sure land?

http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/virtualmongolia/kara_korum/divin e_wind.htm

http://www.kimsoft.com/2004/mongol-koryo-japan.htm

http://home-4.worldonline.nl/~t543201/web-mongol/mongol-ente r-index.htm

Then the massive battles were more important and for the Sengoku Jidai many samuaris armies fought excelently, look the battles of Kawanakajima.

When the fire weapons appeared in Japan, they change quickly to the new way and progressed to a level equivalent to the europeans by 1600; Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who invaded Korea, sent a very strong and modern army there; japanese went until Yalu river and fought many battles, koreans were crushed. They losed, yes, by two elemets: 1. The chinese sent to the battle a giant army of 500.000 men (vs 200.000 japanese), not more modern than japanese armies (although, they had cannons), and 2. koreans fight on the seas with undestroyed ships, without those ships japanese win. The second invasion was better for koreans and chinese, ok, they was ready.

Conclusion: japanese losed because they were outnumbered, they couldn't fight against the tourtle ships and they hadn't food. But, they were excellent (and terrible) warriors, soldiers, and the hardness of this war is legend. Can you say that they were worst warriors?

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~room4me/korea/bunroku.htm

http://www.tkdtutor.com/10Patterns/09ChoongMoo/ChoongmooInfo .htm

Edited by Ikki
EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 11:41

I do respect your views of the Samurai, but I stand by my opinion that they are vastly overrated. Yes, they were great warriors/soldiers, BUT they were so clenched on to their martial arts, that I'm having a hard time believing they could actually have crushed any other army.

Samurai were arrogant about their skills. At least compared to chinese and korean martial artists, who were encouraged to seek out masters of other martial arts and practice their skills, whereas japanese were only given a diploma, and with that diploma came status (from various dojos). Japanese fought only one kind of enemy: Themselves. Thus, they knew always what to expect. Chinese and korean troops fought many different kind of enemies (maybe not as versitale as some other armies, but sure enough, they fought way more different armies than any japanese army did). Thus; the korean and chinese were more well versed and all rounded.

Yes, the Samurai were great warriors, just like many other "people" that have walked this earth. But they are vastly overrated...

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 02:17

1. The chinese sent to the battle a giant army of 500.000 men (vs 200.000 japanese), not more modern than japanese armies (although, they had cannons), and 2. koreans fight on the seas with undestroyed ships, without those ships japanese win.

Military Personel that fought in Korea 1592-1598:

Choson: 97 600 (60 000 + 37 600)
Ming: 191 000 (74 000 + 117 000)
Japan: 340 000 (200 000 + 140 000)

*these are regulars. add in guerillas and the figure for Choson increases.

Even without the ships, the Japanese could not have one. The Korean navy made it easy to drive out the Japanese, but even without them Choson-Ming would have drove the Japanese out, although after a much more difficult time.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 02:30
They were small in number but amongst the fiercest warriors were the Black Feet Indians of Montana and Canada!!

The Blackfeet Indians are the westernmost of the Algonquin stock, and are of three tribes, the Siksika (Blackfeet); the Kainah (Many Chiefs); and the Pikuni (Wearing Apparel). Under their protection were the Utsena (Gros Ventres), also of Algonquin stock, and the Soksipwoyiks (Sureis), a small tribe of Athabaskan stock. In 1814 this confederacy of tribes numbered about 16,000 lodges (80,000 people). They owned a vast country, extending from the Saskatchewan River, in Canada south to the Yellowstone, and from the Rocky Mountains east to about a north and south line that would intersect the junction of the Missouri and the Milk Rivers. The tribes have been so decimated by smallpox, warfare, and starvation, that they now number only about 8,000. The Siksika, Kaina, and Soksipwoyiks (since 1873, wards of the Canadian government) are thriving agriculturists. In Montana, the Utsena and Pikuni members of the old confederacy are rapidly dying out.

The reservation of this tribe is too high and cold for successful farming, and the range has been overstocked and eaten out largely by the cattle of white men. The Indian Bureau has forced most of the members of the tribe to accept patents to their lands; but they have been obliged to sell them in order to obtain necessary food. The result is, that those who still live are now pauper citizens of our country, dependent upon the charity of the state. Yet, by the terms of a treaty that they made with our Government in 1855, the Pikuni and the Utsena still legally own about one third of the land within the State of Montana.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 03:20

Swedish caroline army wasn't bad either. It was very good and well oiled warmachine that could take a lot larger army and still triumph. At the best, I think it was best army in Europe. Not a bad achievement in my opinion. Swedish army had best cavalry in Europe and their infantry was very good and cheap to recruit. Propably not the best army ever but still deserves mentioning.

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 03:26

Swedish army had best cavalry in Europe

Hmm..what about polish-lithuanian cavalry ?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 06:06

TJK

Well, Karl XII did beat the polish army several times...

So did Karl X about fifty years before him,even though Karl X was before the caroline period.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 06:10

Swedish/ Finnish cavalry copied the tactics of Polish cavalry and improved them further. I would rank Finnish hakkapeliittas and Swedish cavalry higher. Especially their charge was unstoppable because of very tight formation.

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 06:13

Well, Karl XII did beat the polish army several times...

My mistake I was not sure "caroline period" refer to XVIII and not XVII century..

So did Karl X about fifty years before him,even though Karl X was before the caroline period.

Well, yes but it was achieved due to coordination between cavalry and infantry/artillery, in sole cavalry battles swedish reiters were not the problem for winged hussars..

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 07:51

I/Eye, about the first point, i was mistaken , thank you. About the second point, that are debately.

EvilNed, at XVI century japanese were more advanced in war with fire weapons than koreans; the chinese situation is my doubt, i know that they used fire weapons in Korea but i ignore what was their level.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 08:26
I would rank Finnish hakkapeliittas and Swedish cavalry higher.

Just nitpicking, the Finnish hakkapeliittas were Swedish cavalry . There were no difference(as in equipment, training, tactics) between the native Swedish and Finnish units; the unspellable h-word was merely a nickname.

Originally posted by TJK

My mistakeI was not sure "caroline period" refer to XVIIIand notXVII century..

Caroline period (which is an anachronistic term by the way) covers 1660-1721, ie the reigns of Karl XI and XII

Well, yes but it was achieved due to coordination between cavalry and infantry/artillery, in sole cavalry battles swedish reiterswere not the problem for winged hussars..

Though I'd definitely rate the winged hussars higher in terms of individual skill, training and general ass-kicking, there were pure cavalry battles where the Swedes defeated the hussars too, unit-to-unit. Can't remember names though.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 08:39

warhead, the byzantines could cordinate infantery and cavalry too, they thought that infantry was secondary yes but only if the cavalry could operate without problems, when the byz fought against great mass of infantry with pikes they used infantry in the main battle (excellent) and flanking with cavalry (the byzantine military manuals show us that they had developed the tactics of the infantry, cavalry was primary but this don't mean that infantry was inefficient). For example, the bulgarian campaign of John Tzimisks.chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 08:43

Though I'd definitely rate the winged hussars higher in terms of individual skill, training and general ass-kicking, there were pure cavalry battles where the Swedes defeated the hussars too, unit-to-unit. Can't remember names though.

You mean here probably the Battle of Wojnicz on 23 September 1655. As I know details of this battle the decisive factor of Hussars defeat was the fire of 300 dragons and muskeeters who supported the attack of swedish cavalry in the center (commanded personally by Karl Gustav). Swedish cavalry not suppported by infantry/dragons could withstood the attack of polish armoured (medium calss) or light cavalry but not the attack of winged hussars..

http://www.northernwars.com/woynicz.html"> Battle of Wojnicz  

Edited by TJK
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 08:54
Maybe, but I'd take your word for it anyway. You have more knowledge in the subject than I do.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 13:38
Swedsich cavalry best? did they even had light cavalry like Austrian Croats or Cossacks? and i greatly doubt the quality of Scandinavian horses....
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 14:05
Originally posted by Temujin

Swedsich cavalry best? did they even had lightcavalry like Austrian Croats or Cossacks? and i greatly doubt the quality of Scandinavian horses....

Atually the swedes bred an entirely new breed of horses - the swedish warmblood. They were purpose-bred especially for the swedish cavalry in the 1600s. The native horses of scandinavia were indeed small, but the swedish warmblood is about 16-17 "hands".

I think it is quite nice.
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>