Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Collapse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Collapse
    Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 11:27
Although, it certainly has some Golden Ages... I would say that the victory at Tannenberg should be enlisted amongst those.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 16:50
Since half of XIVth until half of XVIIth century we were doing pretty well.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 13:04
Originally posted by Majkes

Poland has never recovered from the Deluge and Cossacks Wars which took place in half of XVII th century. Sobieski's period was last breath of Poland. From now on the state was falling down.

Economy may not have recovered all the way to "pre-deluge" period, but it was doing fine relative to Poland's neighbors. Poland fielded a powerful army that finally was able to achieve conclusive victories over Ottoman empire (Vienna, Budapest, etc). History goes through ups and downs. Low periods before Sobieski were brief and country recovered from them pretty well.
After Sobieski, whole country ended on a downward slide, which ended in Poland dispappearing. Rural nature of the country weighted heavily on military performance. Urban centers had very limited inluence and industry was not developing as fast as for its neighbors. Reliance on cavalry alone became the liability when all armies adopted more balanced view of military tactics. Heavy cavalry made sense only in the context of balanced army and advanced use of infantry and artillery. To have these, country needed industry in large urban centers. Also Counter-Reform has destroyed Polish educational system.

cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 13:10
Originally posted by Timotheus

Whatever the reason, Polish history is a series of tragedies [IMG]alt="Wink" smileys/smiley2.gif" align="absmiddle[/IMG]

This is a simplistic view of history. I don't think its history was more or less tragic than most of european countries. Poland had periods of dominance and periods in which it was dominated. Periods of dominance were much longer than that of weaknesses. Only reason we think it is a tragic history it is because weak period happened in the modern times and was better documented.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 23:29
Originally posted by cavalry4ever

This is a simplistic view of history. I don't think its history was more or less tragic than most of european countries. Poland had periods of dominance and periods in which it was dominated. Periods of dominance were much longer than that of weaknesses. Only reason we think it is a tragic history it is because weak period happened in the modern times and was better documented.

I agree.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 23:51

Originally posted by Majkes

Poland has never recovered from the Deluge and Cossacks Wars which took place in half of XVII th century. Sobieski's period was last breath of Poland. From now on the state was falling down.

Economy may not have recovered all the way to "pre-deluge" period, but it was doing fine relative to Poland's neighbors. Poland fielded a powerful army that finally was able to achieve conclusive victories over Ottoman empire (Vienna, Budapest, etc). History goes through ups and downs. Low periods before Sobieski were brief and country recovered from them pretty well.

I agree. Poland during Sobieski's reign and just after Sobiesk's death was strong enough to survive / to defend (of course it doesn't mean that Poland was as powerfull as before 1648). Only GNW catastrofaly destroyed position of Poland.

After Sobieski, whole country ended on a downward slide, which ended in Poland dispappearing. Rural nature of the country weighted heavily on military performance. Urban centers had very limited inluence and industry was not developing as fast as for its neighbors. Reliance on cavalry alone became the liability when all armies adopted more balanced view of military tactics. Heavy cavalry made sense only in the context of balanced army and advanced use of infantry and artillery. To have these, country needed industry in large urban centers. Also Counter-Reform has destroyed Polish educational system. 

IMO, it is too big simplification.
First of all, we can't describe in the same way the period 1697-1795. IMO, we should talk about 2 periods 1700-1772 (the bigest weakness of Poland) and 1772-1792 (the recovery of Poland).
As far as this second period is concerned:
- there wasn't Polish heavy cavalry (winged hussars) any more
- In the end of this period Polish army was composed of about 70 000 soldiers (including about 50 000 infantry). It was a big change compare to previous period.
- Poland created the first Ministry of Education in Europe. The most known school created in that time was a School of Knights which taught talented commanders (like Tadeusz Kościuszko).
- And finally, Poland created a Constitution of 3rd May

So, Poland was on good way to recovery, but it still was too weak to defend itself. You should remember that Polish neighbour (Russia) was in that time the strongest European country and that Poland had 3 neighbours who were involved in partitions of Poland.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 03:50
Both of you, ataman and cavalry4ever, I do appreciate your contirubtion of the two posts, but one post could have handled the situation.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 13:46
heh, if i may join the discussion, i would want to blame Poland's downfall on the Jagiellons, in my opinion the worst ruling dynasty.

Union with Lithuania as i mentioned in several topics, was the biggest mistake ever to be made.

It is true, that thanks to the Union, Poland achieved a slightly faster safety on her eastern borders, and brought benefit to Polish nobles, but as one Historian put it, "It is always dangerous when a small group of people claim representation for the whole nation". The Polish magnates, who were reaching their claws already on Volhynia were now starting to press bigger claims for most Rus lands. They achieved this due to incompetence of the Anjou dynasty and the Jagiellons. More to that, they were granted vast priviledgesDead. The funniest thing is that, under these two ridicilous dynasties, the Polish common city lost all it's meaning. The balance of rule was broken, and was picked up by the two most dangerous classes, the petty nobles and great magnates. Instead of restoring a balance in the rulership of Poland, the Jagiellons played the known corrupting handing-out-of goods and titles to achieve support of the former or the later. So whenever the Commonwealth was in trouble, the King had to beg the Magnates for money(sounds like HRE to me sadlyConfused). If he decided for a noble levy, it was disorganised and often demanding constantly new rights! Whereas Casimir III managed to stomp out both of these two dangerous classes, and bringing in order, the Jagiellons just ruined everything.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 00:14
Saber, I completly don't agree with you.

Originally posted by Saber

heh, if i may join the discussion, i would want to blame Poland's downfall on the Jagiellons, in my opinion the worst ruling dynasty.

Union with Lithuania as i mentioned in several topics, was the biggest mistake ever to be made.

Saber, show me a politician who can foresee what will happen for 40 years. There is none.
You demend from 14th c. politics (from these politics who supported union with Lithuania) a knowledge about events in 18th c. Poland. It's curious.

It is true, that thanks to the Union, Poland achieved a slightly faster safety on her eastern borders, and brought benefit to Polish nobles, but as one Historian put it, "It is always dangerous when a small group of people claim representation for the whole nation".

And another curious thing. Tell me a country in 14-18th c. where a large 'group of people claim representation for the whole nation'. There were no nations in 14-18th c. (I mean there were no 'modern' nations). Large groups of people became nations only in 19-20th c.
Poland in for example 17-18th was an exception in Europe, because as much as 10% of its population (I mean Polish nobles) identified themselfs with the satate where they lived.

The Polish magnates, who were reaching their claws already on Volhynia were now starting to press bigger claims for most Rus lands. They achieved this due to incompetence of the Anjou dynasty and the Jagiellons. More to that, they were granted vast priviledgesDead. The funniest thing is that, under these two ridicilous dynasties, the Polish common city lost all it's meaning. The balance of rule was broken, and was picked up by the two most dangerous classes, the petty nobles and great magnates. Instead of restoring a balance in the rulership of Poland, the Jagiellons played the known corrupting handing-out-of goods and titles to achieve support of the former or the later. So whenever the Commonwealth was in trouble, the King had to beg the Magnates for money(sounds like HRE to me sadlyConfused). If he decided for a noble levy, it was disorganised and often demanding constantly new rights! Whereas Casimir III managed to stomp out both of these two dangerous classes, and bringing in order, the Jagiellons just ruined everything.

Saber, do you know anything about 'ruch egzekucyjny'? Do you know what was a situation of Poland in the end of Jagiellon reign? Do you know who limited a power of magnates?
And finally, check a position of Poland in 1386 (the first year Jagiellons' reigns in Poland) and in 1572 (the last year of their reigns) and tell me if you really think that during Jagiellons' reigns Poland falled.
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 03:21
As I remember from history books, Jagiello married Jadwiga (Polland princess) after death of Polland king. The throne of Kingdom was free. Another pretendent was William of Austria ... IMHO, Jagiello was preferable, because in the case William, Polland came under Austria/German influence and could be collapsed early (100-200 yesrs before). In case of Jagiello Lithuania came under Pollish influence (because the Polland society were more developed). I think, that one of most important causes was military one. To survive, Lithuania in XIV century or Polland&Lithuania in XVI century must win opposition to Moscow ... In both cases it would not be done till the end (but military Lithuania and Polland  were stronger at these times). Later Polland&Lithuania got under the press of big states, because it was between them ... 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 12:19
Originally posted by ataman

Saber, I completly don't agree with you.
 Saber, show me a politician who can foresee what will happen for 40 years. There is none.
You demend from 14th c. politics (from these politics who supported union with Lithuania) a knowledge about events in 18th c. Poland. It's curious.

What? Who mentioned foresight? Prediction is not foresight. And if according to you politics revolve around the present then no. Every responsible King will, and would take in mind the good of his kingdom, and it's future... I agree that my post doesnt really fit well in the 18th Century, but who said Poland's Downfall started then? The Union started the downfall. So what that we managed to create a commonwealth and extend our influence, if because of that, we gained more enemies than any benefit.

And another curious thing. Tell me a country in 14-18th c. where a large 'group of people claim representation for the whole nation'. There were no nations in 14-18th c. (I mean there were no 'modern' nations). Large groups of people became nations only in 19-20th c.
Poland in for example 17-18th was an exception in Europe, because as much as 10% of its population (I mean Polish nobles) identified themselfs with the satate where they lived. 
Eh... I believe you misinterpreted the whole thing. Ever heard of Swiss Cantons? Flemish Communes? Besides thats not what i meant. I meant that the Jagiellons screwed up the balance that was achieved by Casimir III "the Great". Under Jagiellons Cities(well apart from Gdansk) lost most of their importance to nobility(be it petty or great magnates). Concession of priviledges is only healthy when a balanced can be achieved.

Saber, do you know anything about 'ruch egzekucyjny'? Do you know what was a situation of Poland in the end of Jagiellon reign? Do you know who limited a power of magnates?
And finally, check a position of Poland in 1386 (the first year Jagiellons' reigns in Poland) and in 1572 (the last year of their reigns) and tell me if you really think that during Jagiellons' reigns Poland falled.
Unfortunately i dont, if you could expand that i would be grateful.

To your last question, yes i think during Jagiellons' reings Poland tripped and was falling. By the 18th century this fall could have been felt...

Originally posted by John Lenon

As I remember from history books, Jagiello married Jadwiga (Polland princess) after death of Polland king. The throne of Kingdom was free. Another pretendent was William of Austria ... IMHO, Jagiello was preferable, because in the case William, Polland came under Austria/German influence and could be collapsed early (100-200 yesrs before). In case of Jagiello Lithuania came under Pollish influence (because the Polland society were more developed). I think, that one of most important causes was military one. To survive, Lithuania in XIV century or Polland&Lithuania in XVI century must win opposition to Moscow ... In both cases it would not be done till the end (but military Lithuania and Polland  were stronger at these times). Later Polland&Lithuania got under the press of big states, because it was between them ... 

That is true. I could argue that there was yet another pretendent Ziemowit IV of Masovia, a quiet energetic ruler, a political heir of the Piast, with more moderate aims. He, IMO would have been better the Jagiellons.
But again it's no the nobles' fault here. We could blame Casimir the Great, for being a dumbass and not being able to produce a male heir, and for that reason also playing around with the Anjou, promising them the Kingdom in case of his death.

Edited by Saber - 06-Sep-2006 at 12:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 16:27
Originally posted by Timotheus

Whatever the reason, Polish history is a series of tragedies Wink

From your point of view it could be like that

but try look at this way:

Poland was a democratic state (comparing to standards of XVI-XVIII) surrounded by developing autocratic regimes.

We has never lived as a continent surrounded by oceans like
USA ;-)

Maybe that is the reason

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 16:47

In fact, even in the time of the deepest crisis of Poland (I mean during GNW), Polish economy was good enough to mobilise 100 000 soldiers (you can read about it in Frost's book about Northern wars). And Poland mobilised 100 000 soldiers in that time. 

I have 2 questions for you ataman:
1. What are 'Northern Wars'?
2. What is the title of the book and the author's name? I'd like to know so the next time I'm at a book store I can pick it up. Smile

Edited by Adalwolf - 28-Sep-2006 at 16:48
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 23:17
Originally posted by Adalwolf

I have 2 questions for you ataman:
1. What are 'Northern Wars'?

They are wars in 16-18th c. between Poland, Sweden, Russia and a couple other countries. Here are links to articles in Wikipedia:

Originally posted by Adalwolf

2. What is the title of the book and the author's name? I'd like to know so the next time I'm at a book store I can pick it up. Smile

Robert I. Frost 'The Norhern Wars 1558-1721'

Edited by ataman - 28-Sep-2006 at 23:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123