Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Dynasties.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Dynasties.
    Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 21:06
Originally posted by heikstheo

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I am partial to the Palaeologan dynasty, which ruled what was left of the Byzantine Empire from 1261 to 1453 A.D.  They were the last rulers in the imperial tradition of the Roman Empire.  The bravery of Constantine XI Palaeologus at the fall of Constantinople in 1453 is especially commendable.
And what was the name of the dynasty that ruled when the Western Crusaders had control of Byzantium, AD 1204-1261?

It's the Comnenoi (plural, Comnenos for one person) dynasty

Isn't Japanese imperial family uninterrupted for millenia

EDIT: I thought you meant the first crusade. Just saw the date. That would be the Laskaris but got overthrown by Palaiologos

Edited by Vorian - 05-Jul-2008 at 21:10
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 21:07
Originally posted by Infidel

I wil go with the Osmans (Ottomans) whose empire lasted for 600 years! Clearly very underrated...

That's not a dynasty that's a Turkish tribe. Dynasty means that every emperor/king is a relative of the previous one, usually son, or brother
Sublime Porte View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sublime Porte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 21:21
Originally posted by Vorian

I wil go with the Osmans (Ottomans) whose empire lasted for 600 years! Clearly very underrated...

That's not a dynasty that's a Turkish tribe. Dynasty means that every emperor/king is a relative of the previous one, usually son, or brother

Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 21:35
Originally posted by Sublime Porte

I stand corrected. I have heard of many violent coups in the Ottoman empire so I thought that the ruling dynasty had changed
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2008 at 21:48
Ottomans were defiantely not a tribe either way.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 16:47
Agh... Good arguments all around.  If this were the early medieval era I'd say the Capetians, because they managed not to tear themselves apart for three hundred years and were able to go from one of the smallest landholders to legitimate landholders with lots of money and power.  Without them, the future of the French monarchy would have been quite different.

Yet that's not what we're talking about, so... I'd have to say the Ottomans or the Habsburgs. 

Quick question because I'm too lazy to look it up: Hohenzollern = off shoot of Habsburg, or their own dynasty?  They were their own, weren't they? 

Oh, good grief. *looks it up anyway* Ah, my intuition was right.  They were their own dynasty.  Not that I was going to nominate them.  That line didn't turn out too well.

I know we consider direct lines to be in the dynasty (the offspring of the line's first ruler, and the rulers after them), but doesn't it get a bit blurry in European history?  For instance, Wilhelm II was the grandson of Queen Victoria and the cousin of Nicholas II and George V at the time of WWI (though he was related to Nicholas through Frederick Wilhelm III).  At what point do they stop being dynasties and start being an unholy mess of incest and with little or no distinguishable qualities?

Edited by AdamantFire - 17-Jul-2008 at 16:48
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 19:24

Ottoman empire was based on the dynasty. You can not be the sultan without carrying the ottoman blood. All of the sultans are from Osman`s blood. You are wrong at your statement
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 20:01
The Ottoman dynasty from its establishment till present day can trace descendancy directly back to Ertugrul Ghazi 1198-1281 the leader of the Oghuz Turks Kayi clan. Ertegrul Osman Osmanogullu is todays pretender to the title of the Ottoman Empire.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 16:58
For sheer scale it would have to be the Hapsburgs however they had considerable trouble in maintaining this emipre and it did eventually colapse

for this reason I beleive the tudors although in temrs of lands were small gave the world two of its greatest even monarchs Elizabeth I and Henry VIII and one very underated one Henry VII combined with the backdrop to the start of the dynasty being the war of the roses and the battle to keep both the dynasty (Henry VIII) and the trone Henry VII has to make it the greatest dyanasty because even now it enjoys iconcic status amoungst the masses wereas the hapsburg dynasty does so almost exclusivly in the eyes of the academics
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 16:04
Tudor's weren't that great. And Henry VIII is overrated in your mind, I dare say... 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 18:33
you intitled to ur opinion and im intitled to mine.

at least I backed up my opinion with fact and it is formed on extensive reading

all you have done is state ur opinion as fact without giving any alternatives or reasons

(end of rant because I know how it feels to be partonized on here beause of ur age, im only 17 your profile says 16 dont no if thats right)

i would be interested, to here some reasoning and alternatives though  (seriously)  am usually a reasonably open minded person

back to history, it is undenyable that Henry VIII changed england forever as a result of the refromation making britian a more independant country and without the slightly less ablaudable things he did many would nto have got intrested in history (myslef included)  it is this impact from beyond the grave which makes him great and seperates him from many other monarchs
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 18:43

Actually, you didn't give a good reason why Henry VIII is an excellent monarch. Plus, the fact that you don't use punctuation, makes it seriously difficult to read what you write anyways...

And yes, I'm 16, but my mind is far beyond my years... hehe...

Henry VIII did all he could to get an heir, and to weaken the position of the Church when it was needed, but he had a range of excellent people to support him, so the success would have to depend on them also. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 19:50
Sorry I am not used to typing hence the poor puntuation

actually i gave serval good reasons why Henry VIII was a good monarch

1.  I acknolodge the use of people such as cramner in the break with and again his reasoning with breaking with rome was undenyably to beget a heir but it did make england better off finacially and saved his predesseccors as messy job that would have had to be done eventually anyway.

2. was politcally astutue in using engalnds position as a makeweight in the face of the hapsburg france conflict to ensure englands secuirty

3. He ensured the dynasty by passing on to his heir, only the sencond person to do so in the last 100 years, the other being Henry's father.

4. Large contribution from beyond the grave, as almost every child learns about him during thier education and has inspired many historials i.e. Starkey who has written numerous books and many tv programs on him, thus exposing the general public to history, which very few other monarchs have done

sorry run out of time wil post other piont when i have time
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 22:33

Hapsburg France? I think you are mixing up some periods. France in the 16th was ruled by the Valois, was it not? 

The number three is due to a mostly calmed down internal politics - if there would have been a strong house who would have thought they could be king, they would have taken the chance. So, this was more due to the deaths of the nobility in the previous years. 

I believe that the main thing that public likes about him is the many wives, without them, he would have ruled just as well (though the heir question comes a bit more important). Still, his defining factor was marrying six times. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 11:29
regarding calmed down politcs I agree about demostically, as Henry VII removed all the threat in his reign (maybe a candidate himself for this title) however I dissagree when talking internationally as there where several occasions in the 1530's and 40's especially when Charles V and the french were reconciled with each other by the pope that England was under real threat of envaision and by curbing his natural instict for was Henry VIII maintained England as a nation through politcal skill, although like all monarch his advisers had a role to play
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 11:30
sorry meant the conflict between hapsburgs and france typo
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 11:39

Try to continue to punctuate... hehe..

I must disagree about the threat of invasion - such an act would not have gone unnoticed by any monarch, most of the mainland realms lacked the fleet to effectively invade England then anyways. Spain under Charles V was far too spread out with it's capacities to try to invade England. 

If you speak of the Pope, then I must say that I'm not that well informed of Papal activities in that part of the century, so I'd like a better overview, thanks. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 14:32
As regarding the pope this is how i understand it

best buddies with England Henry awarded title defender of the faith as a result of his reposte to Luther in 1525

However due to the sack of Rome by Charles V the pope was unable to grant Hnery VIII his divorce (Catherine was his auntie and the pope his prisinor) 1529

eventually the pope excomunicated Henry after his break with rome  and prenounced him a heritic and in the 1530-40s sucessed in a time in turning most of Europe against England hence the cleaves marrige, which I bleive exemplifices that reality of the threat because why would Henry marry someone who he discribed as a flanders mare, and couldn't bring himself to sleep with  if the  threat was not all that serious

this continued until mary graught england back to catholisism

hope this helps but I am trying to renember stuff I studied 6 months ago so might be a litle rusty
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 12:28

Hmmh. Spelling and punctuation... hehe

Anne of Cleaves. Wasn't she married because Henry needed more funds or something? I don't think it was due to the religious nature... 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 17:43
No it was definatly to form an allaince with the duke of cleves and other protestant states in Germany to try and counter act the catholic alliances arranged by the pope with france and spain, then when relationships between the two nations deteriotated and the alliance was no longer needed she was divored, i bleive this is the common preception by most histrians sorry I have no links / referances to give u try anything by starkey he is quite an authority of Henry VIII
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>