Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Persian Words in Turkish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Persian Words in Turkish
    Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 23:11

im not sure if they use this in turkey but certainly i think azeri use it it is hal ye ne? which means how are you and hal is same in persian meaning feeling.

saat is same meaning time in both languages.

bamya meaning that vegetable is same in persian.

aferin means well done,, same in persian

bahche means garden in both

dakika, same in persian daghighe

buran for storm in turk, baran for rain in persian

anyone mentino chay?? )

sheitan means devil in both

nefret means hate in both

pehlivan used in both meaning courageous strong noble man (not exactly sure on meaning)

duvar in both meaning wall,, divar in persian

kan in turkish meaning blood, khun in persian

hanim meaning mrs, same in persian khanim

kilim meaning carpet, same in farsi (actuially has something to do with carpet in farsi)

meydan meaning square in both (square as in victoria sqaure,, not the shape)

merkezi central in both, markaz in persian

mesched meaning mosque in both, masjid..

ruya meaning dream

sarap for wine in both

yunan in both meaning greece

renk/ rang meaning color in both

memur meaning official has persian background i think

sandalye meaning arm chair in turk, sandali meaning chair in persian

tarih meaning history ,, but i think has arabic origin rather than persian.

so there you go, there are many more, but id have to fill up two whole pages to put it all in.

and zagros i can speak a little turkish, i can speak torkian, and farsi

*torkian being mix of farsi and turk .

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 23:29

Ok Fine, I edited the whole thing.

You are right. The thread is not Arabic-Persian words. But I wasn't Arabatizing them, these are Arabic words Persianized!

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 23:38

COK GEC! lol stop it!! now i have to go againe and come up with another 20 odd words to post, and your going to go and retranslate them and arabicinanizate them....... THE THREAD NAME IS TURKISH WORDS SIMILAR TO PERSIAN ,, NOT TURKISH WORDS SIMILAR TO PERSIAN WHICH ORIGINALLY CAME FROM ARABIC. lol no harm done tho

and anyway, the words that i posted are pronounced exactly same in persian and turkish, but in arabic the pronounciation is different so harder to find similarities. dakika in turkisj is pronounced more like DAKHIKHE i think. which sounds like persian daghighe.

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 01:28
those words are same in many languages even some in Russian, they all sound Arabic to me and actually some words I've never heard of.

Dakika can't be pronounced like DAKHIKHE as in persian due to vowel harmony in Turkish.letter A can't be pronounced as EY.it's simply A as in barn.

Edited by erci
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 08:44

My comment I want to add is that how do we know these words are Arabized versions of Arabic words? they might (hold back cause it is crazy ) actually be Persian words that Arabs have Arabized hence the similarity, When dealing with the middle east everyone mixed and mingled and exchanged words and borrowed from each other.

That is my opinion, No offence to Arabs in this Forum but if you say they are abaic pplease for my sake present them so I see ie a thread, I know not much about linguistics but I know that the greatest linguistic expert in the world said that all languages are the same, it is how we use the vowels and sounds that makes them sound different.

Was he right I dunno but I like to believe

Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 08:54
Originally posted by Rakhsh

My comment I want to add is that how do we know these words are Arabized versions of Arabic words?

Linguists say so and etymology is a science you can use to trace those words. The basic general rule, if it has a plural Arabic form as (saat, nehayat, milet, hayvanat...etc) it is easy to find its root in Arabic. Other ones, you have to use etymology for words like Zaman, Istiklal, Shaitan, Katil, Muhasebe, dunya, ishk (ik) and so on.

A language is richer when it absurbs other words from other languages. It makes it richer as in English. So it is not an insult if these words are of an Arabic origin.  But anyhow, as Arpad said, this thread is for Persian Turkish termenlogies.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 09:18

lol cok gec i didnt mean it in a bad way i was kidding around

Actually this is becoming quite interesting, i never knew words like saat, istikal etc came from arabic, I want to slightly deviate the thread, it would be great if the greek persian, turkish/turkic, armenian, arabic forumers posted words that could be similar and we all try and guess were it originally came from. Im quite interested in armenian aswell, i have only herd the language once in some movie, but not that much, it sounded like a cross between turkish, russian, persian and greek very interesting.

OK here are some persian words, you guys can translate them in your own language.

btw. let me know if it is a waste of time. i will stop my talking then

Desk --- Persian = MIZ

Book --- Persian = Ketab

Talking --Persian = Harf zadan

Love -- Persian = Esgh (pronounced eshk)

Tear ---Persian = Ask

Sea ---Persian = Darya

Mountain, Hill ---Persian = Tepe/ Ku

Prison ---Persian = Zendan

Cat/ Dog/ Horse/ Lion/ Elephant/ Bird/ Monkey

--Persian = Gorbeh/ Sag/ Asp/ Shihr/ Fil/ Parande/ Meymun.

ok cool now post away guys.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 10:01

Desk --- Persian = MIZ---------Turkish = Masa

Book --- Persian = Ketab---------Turkish = kitap

Talking --Persian = Harf zadan------Turkish = Konushmak

Love -- Persian = Esgh (pronounced eshk)--------Turkish = ashk

Tear ---Persian = Ask------- Turkish = yash

Sea ---Persian = Darya-------- Turkish = Deniz/Derya

Mountain, Hill ---Persian = Tepe/ Ku-------Turkish = Dagh, tepe

Prison ---Persian = Zendan------Turkish = Hapishane, zindan

In Turkish: 

Kedi/Kpek/Arslan/Fil/Kush/Maymun

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:16

Desk --- Persian = MIZ---------Turkish = Masa---Arabic= Tawelah & Masa

Book --- Persian = Ketab---------Turkish = kitap--- Arabic= Kitap

Talking --Persian = Harf zadan------Turkish = Konushmak--- Arabic= Yatakallam

Love -- Persian = Esgh (pronounced eshk)--------Turkish = ashk---Arabic= Ishqh

Tear ---Persian = Ask------- Turkish = yash----- Arabic= Dam'ah

Sea ---Persian = Darya-------- Turkish = Deniz/Derya-----Arabic= Bahar

Mountain, Hill ---Persian = Tepe/ Ku-------Turkish = Dagh, tepe-----Arabic= Jabal, Tallah

Prison ---Persian = Zendan------Turkish = Hapishane, zindan----Arabic= Sejin

In Arabic: Quettah/ Kaleb/Husan/Asad/Fil/Ta'er/Querd.

a map of the Persian language and its related Iranian derivatives and langauges:

By the way, Masa in Turkish and Persian and Arabic came from where? Is it Persian transferred to Latin and then to Spanish and back to us? because I know Masa (table and desk) is: "high table land," 1759, from Sp. mesa, lit. "table," from L. mensa "table" (cf. Rum. masa, O.Fr. moise "table").

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:29

You know, many of the words in Persian automatically presumed to be Arabic are actually ARAMAIC, which was a very rich Semitic language from which the nomadic (and I think quite simple) ancient Persian language took many words from.

Two examples, MIZ (table), KHIAR (cucumber) are Aramaic in origin.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:40
Originally posted by Zagros

Two examples, MIZ (table), KHIAR (cucumber) are Aramaic in origin.

Those are clear examples of Aramaic and no one claimed them to be Arabic. However, it is a fact that Arabic words in Persians can be easily identified by their ends and form. Now, not to confuse that with the fact you can easily say every Arabic word in Persian is actually Aramaic, because simply Arabic is a derevative of Nabatean which came from Aramaic directly.

D.J. Kaufman
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:41
Oh, maybe you are confused with my last post.  I was not implying the origin of those words as Arabic. I was just translating them to Arabic as Arpad requested each forumer to take those Persian words and put them in his language and compare.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:48
I know, I was just making a general comment.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 12:46

There are also many Persian words in Arabic such as Kahf (Cave), Bab (Door), Jidar (Wall), Sama (Sky), Vaght/Zaman (Time), Varagh (Leaf), Jaziya (Tribute), Kahzinah (Treasury), ...

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:11

Im not sure about Sama & Zaman as being originally Persian. But I know for sure these are Persian words borrowed into the Arabic Language:

Bakht= Luck (equivelant to Haz in Arabic too)

Bosah= a kiss (another equivelant is Quoblah in Arabic)

Sharshaf= a sheet (like gheta' in Arabic)

Tadsheen= to establish, could be (Jashn in Ancient Persian).

Anyhow, i found this webiste that makes it easy to trace Arabic words in Persian too for Persian speakers, a nice work of the National Middle Eastern Learning Resource Academy in Utah, USA:

http://nmelrc.byu.edu/handbooks/persian4.php

The Arabic root and pattern system is also used to derive plural forms of nouns in ways that seem strange and unpredictable to non-Arabic-speakers. For instance, the plural of kitab book is kutub books. Many Arabic words have been borrowed into Persian together with their plural forms. Persian dictionaries will list these words and their Arabic plurals separately. In other words, you do not have to figure out what the root of the word is in order to look it up. Persian speakers often do not use the Arabic plural forms and create new ones by adding one of the Persians plural suffixes to the Arabic singular form. Thus, Arabic member is borrowed into Persian as ozv and its plural members is borrowed as aza. However, in the course of time Persian speakers have created their own plural ozvha. Both plural forms are in use in Persian, sometimes even within in the same text. Both forms are acceptable in speech and in writing. The name of the infamous taliban of Afghanistan is similarly derived. It is in fact the Arabic word talib student suffixed with the Persian plural suffix an. The actual Arabic plural of talib is tullab............(continue)

Edited by ok ge
    D.J. Kaufman
    Bakma View Drop Down
    Janissary
    Janissary

Quote Bakma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 15:32
    hmm i thought khanum = hanim is from turkish origin? 

Edited by Bakma
    Inson borki insonlarning naqshidir, inson borki hayvon undan yaxshidir
    Bakma View Drop Down
    Janissary
    Janissary

Quote Bakma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 15:34
    and tchay comes from china
    Inson borki insonlarning naqshidir, inson borki hayvon undan yaxshidir
    Zagros View Drop Down
    Emperor
    Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 16:16

Originally posted by Bakma

hmm i thought khanum = hanim is from turkish origin? 

I think so too, Khan-um being the feminine of Khan.

Arpad some of those words u use for Persian have letters missing, like 'ask' is 'ashk'.

Edited by Zagros
    Rakhsh View Drop Down
    Consul
    Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 17:48
    I like this thread very stimulating, Thanks for the education all of you posting
    Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
    Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
    Administrator
    Administrator
    King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 04:18

Im not sure about Sama & Zaman as being originally Persian.

Sama comes from Asaman (Ancient Persian God of Sky) and Zaman from Zurvan (Ancient Persian God of time).

Zurvanism in Encyclopedia Britannica:

Zurvan, god of time and fate, remotely influences human destinies, appearing under two aspects: Limitless Time (i.e., eternal lord; Zurvan Akarana) and Time of Long Dominion (i.e., lord of the existing world; Zurvan Daregho-Chvadhata). His worship is bound up with speculations about astrology and the world-year. He bears the epithets ashoqar, frashoqar, and zaroqar (meanings disputed), and the qualities these apparently indicate were construed as concrete, Zurvan being worshipped in four forms.
    In later writings Zurvan is seen as the father of Ormazd and Ahriman (see Ahura Mazda), perhaps a result of contact between Zoroastrianism and Greco-Babylonian astrological speculations. (Zurvanism appears to have had its stronghold in western Persia, bordering Babylonia.) Some scholars seek an origin for Zurvanism outside Zoroastrianism, in the worship of an ancient Median or pre-Iranian god. Although in its fatalism and pessimism Zurvanism is basically opposed to true Zoroastrianism, it seems probable that in cult and in a large body of doctrine it made few breaks with orthodoxy. It was in Zurvanite form that Zoroastrianism influenced Mithraism (in which Zurvan was an important deity) and Manichaeism.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>