Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overrated Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overrated Generals
    Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 20:49
Haig and Hindenberg
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 20:58

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Haig and Hindenberg

There was not a good general among the WWI crowd.  Not one.

Texas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 00:02

i will agree with most of US grant being overrated -----------he was good in the west but just had more men to lose in the East -------Sherman and Sheridan --------much better than he

Montgomery -------well maybe ------------f0r sure he wouldnt make my choice as a top general

Rommel -------very good -------field leader -if i had a division or Corps to lead -he is my man ---------------but beyond that Germany had many other generals/ field marshalls --------who proved to me more competent

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 02:28
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Haig and Hindenberg

What about Petain? He was a great leader whos reputation is clouded by by the next war.

I would have to actually agree with alot on this list.  Alexander is my favorite to pick on.  Not only a terrible ruler but as a general overrate.  Still good but certainly way overrated.  His father built his state and his armies and used them against more worthy foes.  Alexander used his fathers army against an antiquated human mass army with bad leadership and poor just about everything.  A monkey could have conquered the Persians of tat time with Alexanders army.

Montgomery, theres another one I dislike, except instead of just saying hes overrated Id just say he was plain old BAD.  Monty got lucky once in North Africa but then his "contributions" to allied victory probably prolonged the war by lives and months and his pompous adherence to crap strategies doomed many of hs own soldiers.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 06:17
Originally posted by Tobodai

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Haig and Hindenberg

Montgomery, theres another one I dislike, except instead of just saying hes overrated Id just say he was plain old BAD.  Monty got lucky once in North Africa but then his "contributions" to allied victory probably prolonged the war by lives and months and his pompous adherence to crap strategies doomed many of hs own soldiers.

I too think Montgomery was overated but think some of the comments about him are a bit unfair.

He was not "lucky" in North Africa!! he refused to attack until he and his army was ready and he felt it had it's best chance of Victory. That is not bad generalship,  I would say that is "good" generalship.

El Alamein was the first British victory over the germans (on land) during World War II and so of course it and it's victorious general were elevated to the  heights of "immortality" by the British people.

He was a cautious general who wanted to keep casualties to a minimum, when he did throw caution to the wind and devised Operation "Market Garden" the airborne assualt in Holland, he was criticised because it failed. "sometimes you can't win whatever you do".

In Northwest Europe after D day the policy of a broad advance rather than a single thrust was Eisenhowers decision (for diplomatic reasons) not Montgomerys.  Montgomery was overated but he was not a bad general, Bad generals lose battles, Montgomery was a winner.

Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 07:02
You're underestimating the Persian army, they were not a group of useless slaves, they were very capable, and Alexander defeated them while being severely outnumbered. You think the Persians built an empire off of an army of useless soldiers? Please think about that for one minute.

And Alexander's army didnt cross into India because they had been on campaign for 10 years, and Alexander still wanted to go on. His conviction to go on as well as his sheer bravery to fight on the front lines makes him great in my opinion. Just because some people call him "God", doesnt mean you should say that he's overrated. He is a great general.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 08:22
Well I will agree with Tododai about the construction of the Macedonian army and state. Phillip II laboured long and hard to build this premiere army and his own plans for Persia were a sustainable conquest of Western Asia. It's good Alexander died when he did, sparing his subjects further atrocities and misrule. But with that death came the wars of the Diadochi, the vast reserves of Persian gold unleashed from their vaults to pay for the monster armies of the Successors.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 20:49

1. Wellington : lied about the battle of Toulouse (a battle that he lost miserably but he claimed to be a victory, entered as a victory by Soult. facts are clearly against wellignton), lied about Waterloo to put down Prussian's contributions. Wellington was mostly a liar, a better politician and propagandist than a General. His campaign in Spain is way overrated, most casualties on the french army were inflicted by the guerilla, disease and inhospitable environment. Wellignton the opportunist that was once more here to claim victory. He was fighting a bleeding army.

2. Patton : pompous ass general, truely overrated.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 20:53

aquart: you bring up good points about Monty, I would agree that Eisenhower too is overrated, but Monty is still the brainchild of Operation Market Garden which was of course a giant military fluke.  Plus his refusal to cut off advancing Germans in the bulge and his slow times taking objectives in France was infinitately more detrimental to allied war aims than any help they got from el alamein a few years before.

armenian: my point was not that the Persian army was bad, just that it was so infinately outclassed by the Macedonian forces that you me or anyone on this forum could have reproduced Alexanders sucess given the disparity of power.  People overestimate the importants of numbers...So many times an inferior force will win against large numbers that I hardly call that something that makes a general great.  The persian army of that day was like the Chinese army of today, vastly more powerful than its neighbors but would be slaughtered by the US army regardless of numbers.  That disparity of power is equivalent to Macedonia and Persia of Alexander's day.  The army that Philip built conquered persia, not some ovverated JFK like (young handome untimely death leading to heightened repuation) type person.

-Alexander Hamilton
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 21:16
Tobodai, good points. I agree that the Macedonian army, pound for pound, was much superior to the Persian army at the time, one key factor being the training they recieved. However, I dont see how that makes Alexander overrated. He won over 50 battles, and never once tasted defeat. One can argue that if he lived out an average lifespan he would have likely been defeated eventually, but that was not the case, and he remains undefeated. He wasnt a god, but he was not overrated. He also fought on the front lines, setting an example to his men with not only his strategic brilliance but also his bravery.

1. Battle of Gaugamela---Alexander spreads the Persian line out, and cuts through to charge straight for Darius, making the entire army rout.

2. Battle against General Porus (India)--- Alexander's army was besieging the walls of the city, and Alexander, along with a handful of his men, are the first to jump the walls.  Once they jumped over, the rest  of the army was being cut off by the Indian defenses, and the handful of Macedonians were forced to defend themselves until backup was able to climb the walls. This is where Alexander was shot with an arrow (not on his horse...friggin Oliver Stone) that pierced his lung, and his soldiers protected his body until the rest of the army climbed over, eventually winning the battle.

Also, his persistance is worth taking into account, one of the most noteworthy examples being the 7-month seige of Tyre.

As you said, he didnt build the army, and Philip should get all the credit for that. The army that Philip built was an important reason for Alexander's success, but in terms of putting that army to use, he stretched Macedonian borders/influence further than anyone imagined, and he did it in only a decade.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 03:48
Yes but these are hardly unique or unprecidented actions by any number of conquerors.  The Duke of Marlborough never lost a battle, neither did Timur Lenk or Winfield Scott.  They dont get all the glory of Alexander and thats directly related to JFK syndrome.
-Alexander Hamilton
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 03:53

Yes but these are hardly unique or unprecidented actions by any number of conquerors.  The Duke of Marlborough never lost a battle, neither did Timur Lenk or Winfield Scott.  They dont get all the glory of Alexander and thats directly related to JFK syndrome.

That never lost a battle is mostly a myth, how do you determine victory? Can Malborough really claimed he won the battle of Malplaquet, when his army suffered twice more casualties and was literally forced to retreat the day after. Victories are all about propaganda. St-Cyr also claimed to have never lost a battle, but I don't  believe that one second.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 04:16
yes, and the same goes for Alexander does it not?  Thus you helped my point along, being a great general is often about hype and post mortem interpretations.
-Alexander Hamilton
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 11:12

aquart: you bring up good points about Monty, I would agree that Eisenhower too is overrated, but Monty is still the brainchild of Operation Market Garden which was of course a giant military fluke.  Plus his refusal to cut off advancing Germans in the bulge and his slow times taking objectives in France was infinitately more detrimental to allied war aims than any help they got from el alamein a few years before.

I've always thought the question of whether Montgomery was overated lies in how unrealistically are people rating him so they can shoot him down.

He was a competant commander, pretty good at his best and sometimes plodding at his worst.  He had a town in the US named after him after the war. Then he wrote his autobiography criticising then president Eisenhower and had virtually every word about him in US history books changed from positive to negative overnight.

Now he's somewhat of a straw target for American historians who set him up as a great commander then write evidence showing he wasn't that he wasn't. Similarly I could write a book called "Washington, better than Alexander" then write a huge book about all his flaws proving he's not"

In the Desert he proved competant, El Alemain is overated, he did much better (and worse). But most importantly he had the ability to build up a huge morale effect with his men by visiting the front lines and minimising casualties amongst his own men.

In Europe he was somewhat more patchy. D Day is his finest hour, without him it would have been a disaster. Market Garden failed but at least he tried, no-one. I always laugh when the same historian in the same book talk in praise of the German attempts in The Bulge then criticise Montgomery for trying Market Garden. 

The Bulge was Montgomery worst moment where nobody claims he made the right decision. However it is possible to know what motivated his wrong decision. We could image it was Rommel in Montgomery's shoes facing the Bulge with German troops, what would he have done? The answer is simple, he would cut of the Bulge with his Panzers surrounded and destroyed the Bulge. Now imagine it's Rommel facing the Bulge with entirely Italian troops. What would he have done? The same as with German troops or what Montgomery did? Historically at The Bulge when Montgomery took over the US army, in his own mind he had taken over the Italian army.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 19:06
god forbid, I criticized a british general while Paul was around.  I should learn by now never to criticize anyone of British nationality when paul might post!
-Alexander Hamilton
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 19:15

You dare criticize a Brit!  you should be flogged!

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 20:39

god forbid, I criticized a british general while Paul was around.  I should learn by now never to criticize anyone of British nationality when paul might post!

Actually I thought I was being quite fair saying Montgomery wasn't a great commander or even a good one just a competant one. Churchill left him in command of the army for three years, could anybody with half a brain suggest Churchill would leave a poor general commanding the troops, especially when he sacked his predecessors.

Now what I've noticed on this forum is a passion for attacking people who are not really so bad. This post is a fine example, as I said earlier I don't consider any of the stated generals are bad.

But if you like in this spirit in future I will refrain from defending those who don't deserve to be attacked, abandon my usual jibes about Bush and cronies and instead restrict my activities from now on to vicious character assassinations of the child molester Samuel Adams, the Soviet spy Martin Luther-King and that employer of ghost writers Mark Twain in the sure knowledge you won't defend them.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 21:51

of course you think so, but I have a feeling everyone but you realizes what a British nationalist you are.  This thread is not by far the only example.  We all know for all the leftist rhetoric you spout that then you go wrap yourself in an Union Jack and pleasure yourself in front of the mirror. 

To be totally honest with you Im all for criticizing "those who dont seserve criticism" because thats how we open our minds.  Most Americans would be offended that I think George Washington was a crappy general but its borne out in his lack of tactical judgement.  We must as historians drag down even the mighty so that we can avoid the same mistakes of worshipping leaders and heroes as infallible gods as we once did.

-Alexander Hamilton
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 04:40

Monte wasn't a great general he gained his victory at Al-alamin by superior troops in number and quality and the germans were  without fuel even so he couldn't crush Rommel army.

After D day he became very careful and lost many chances to smash the Germans army if he corporated with American may be the could end the war earlier.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 05:18

I think the duke of Malrborough whoe deserve admiration at Blanhaym.

Wilington gained his victory by Prussian assistance if not Blucher not arrived in the exact time Napoleon may be defeat Wilington.

we can't forget the allied outnumbered over Napoleon the allied troops 150,000 and Napoleonic troops 100,00.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>