Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

indians skin colour?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: indians skin colour?
    Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 01:17
i really dont know, and these days in india most hindus probably also eat meat.
Rajputana View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rajputana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 20:15
Originally posted by northpakistani

Also, has anyone noticed the difference in Hindu diet and Muslim diet? The muslim's eat quiet alot of meat and dairy products, while Hindu's tend to be vegetarian.  Since muslim's have a larger variety in their diet, do you suppose it makes their skin more resistant to environmental conditions?  The look of fairness is basically glowing skin (which comes from the inside).

I dont think vegetarianism plays a big role in skin color, i've seen vegetarian jains that are quite sturdy and fair. 

"While meat is regarded as rajas (arousing passions/excitement/anger) in nature, wrestlers who eat meat tend to rationalize this. They argue that one can eat meat and to some extent avoid the consequences. The trick is to neutralize the rajas nature of meat by some form of counteractivity.  Moreover, by virtue of their naturally aggressive military disposition, Rajputs are thought to thrive on meat. Some Rajput wrestlers argue that meat is good for them because they should, in a sense, eat what they are."

References:

The Wrestler's Body: Identity and Ideology in North India
Joseph S. Alter (p. 127)

mughal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mughal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 13:21
Originally posted by aararararar

how come majority of the indians even north indians especially hindu indians have dark skin? i mean indians claim that they are 72% aryans but that doesn't show up in their skin colours at all. whats the reason?

i think the reason is that orginal inhabitants of india even north were dravidians, who are dark skinned. so preety much the Dark skinned people in the north are decendants of the Dravidians which still make up majority of the people in north india. The light skinned people could be related to many different ethinicties that came to india. 
northpakistani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 18:14
Light skin is also the result of recessive genes. Brown eyes are dominant genes while blue are in the recessive, if 2 brown eyed parents produce an off-spring with recessive genes, the child will have blue eyes (eventhough the parents don't!)

Alot of mixing may have taken place in India, and today the genes are shuffled around producing a variety of features all over the place. India is quite complex...but very interesting.
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

-- Albert Einstein
Rajputana View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rajputana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 20:14

Light skin is also the result of recessive genes. Brown eyes are dominant genes while blue are in the recessive, if 2 brown eyed parents produce an off-spring with recessive genes, the child will have blue eyes (eventhough the parents don't!)

Alot of mixing may have taken place in India, and today the genes are shuffled around producing a variety of features all over the place. India is quite complex...but very interesting.

If the majority of Indians today are still of Dravidian genetic makeup then how can there have been alot of mixing in India?  On the contrary the melting pot of cultural and racial fusion was most of Pakistan and probably only the northern and western bordering parts of India since armies entered through the Khyber and didnt actually settle past the Punjab region in settlements.

UZ - PE - IN is where all the action was happening around pre 1500AD.

Edited by Rajputana - 15-Apr-2007 at 20:15
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 01:46
Here is one Greek  man's confession:

I have found Indians to be very inherently insecure people especially when it comes to the issue of colour, looks though I think this has more to do with religion than actual fact. I remember some of my indian co-workers were quite extatic when I told them I would be visiting their country for business, having hung around them for quite some time I felt comfortable.  

I then travelled to India & spent 6 weeks there,  it was an interesting trip but one that brought many surprises.  For one, the endemic poverty I saw was nothing like I had seen before(I had never seen people living and dying on the streets before), but secondly I got to see a whole range of what Indians look like as I travelled thru delhi, Kashmir, Hyderabad and the Calcutta.  I had seen posters for Indian movies before arriving but they looked nothing like the indians I was seeing & I can tell u quite frankly, that Indians rarely have any fair or coloured features suggestive of an Aryan legacy infact many border on an african skin tone though retaining large eyes and typical indian noses, so I think the analogy is more of a linguistic or cultural one. 
Infact, the majority of my co-workers who where sikhs(penjabi) where fairer(so to speak) and taller then the bulk of what I saw on my entire trip to India leading me to believe that only the those indians who fit the criteria of being fair/tall were immigrating to the west!(I know this seems extraordinary but this is what I honestly believed when I left India) I find it odd that the few odd ball or atypical individuals who have colored eyes or fair skin are taken as being 'normal' or representatice of/in India, which seems to be a projection of the caste system still very much present in India today.  I was often quite surprised, when Indians would throw themselves at my feet as they had never seen me(a whiteman) before.  I found it to be the worst type of degradation in human I had ever witnessed. Also, many times, I saw darker individuals pushed aside by other individuals(who in my eyes where equally as dark) because they felt themselves to be better?  then when I joined the line, I would be given first class treatment to the front of the line.
 People should be content with their skin tone, looks, regardless of wether its light or fair.  To project themselves as being something else is dishonest, misleading and most off all an inherent issue of self-esteem.  As some members in this thread keep stating that Indians are majority aryans(74%) i find that to be highly irresponsible.  If anything I would put it below 1-2% who are Aryan, and thats assuming that they are hidden in some remote corner of India as I didnt see them.  This thread seems to be promoting an innacurate and misleading assessment of India which is dishonest.  There's no shame in being Brown.  In the summer time, I too turn quite a dark shade of brown :)

-- Albert Einstein
Rajputana View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rajputana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 13:41
Originally posted by Northpakistani

So he says of the over one billion person population of India 1%-2% 'Aryan' - where does this leave your 28% Aryan mix figure?  Is he implying that 1%-2% of India is pure aryan? or is there a mix up between your figures and his?  What was the source of your figures in the post dated March 31, 2007?

• At 1%-2% it would put the number of these aryan indians between 10 million -  20 million.  And if we were to go by your 'aryan mixuture' percentage it would put the number at 280 million.
Northpakistani,

Does not this actually prove your previous above quoted statement to be incorrect?  The Greek goes on to say  "find it odd that the few odd ball or atypical individuals who have colored eyes or fair skin are taken as being 'normal' or representatice of/in India";  So doesn't this mean that majority of India is a homogenous group with similar charateristics as to eachother?

Like the haplo chart shows as proof - wouldnt it be more plausible that 'alot of mixing' had taken place on the borders of India and bulk of Pakistan since you'd find settlements of foreigner tribes settling to a large extent in and around pakistan and hardly any such settlements in India?

To sum it up I think the Dravidians extended as far west as well into Pakistan and these videos would prove the point.

Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 00:35
To sum it up I think the Dravidians extended as far west as well into Pakistan and these videos would prove the point.
That is correct Rajputana. I don't recall ever denying that, Pakistan, India, and every country I can think of is indeed a mixture. Siraiki is a place in pakistan where alot of Indian's have settled. Siraiki is comparatively a minority in Pakistan not a huge lot as the Punjabis and Balochis which are in the majority.

Regarding my post on March 31, 2007, it was a response to Rajput's statistics. http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13035&PN=1
Rajput states that 72% are Indo-Aryans (in personality) rest are dravidian/mongoloids.

This statement is incorrect, because he should be referring to LANGUAGE not the personality.

According to many literatures online, it does not specify this percentage as a race, it means that majority of Indians speak Indo-Aryan languages.

-- Albert Einstein
Rajputana View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rajputana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 00:59

That is correct Rajputana. I don't recall ever denying that, Pakistan, India, and every country I can think of is indeed a mixture.

Mongoloids are a minority in india, if we go by the #'s of that Greek person you quoted before then 1%-2% Aryan lets say another 2%-6% mongoloid and the rest of the 92% would be pure Dravidian no? Therefore India to a great extent would not be a mixture, would it?

Siraiki is a place in pakistan where alot of Indian's have settled. Siraiki is comparatively a minority in Pakistan not a huge lot as the Punjabis and Balochis which are in the majority.

Never knew that Siraiki was a place and moreover that it was one where alot of indians have settled, when did they settle here?  I always thought Siraiki was a language spoken by roughly 10% of Pakistan's population and the 3rd most popular after Pashto and Punjabi?  It would be #2 according to this map: 

Regarding my post on March 31, 2007, it was a response to Rajput's statistics.  http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13035&PN=1 Rajput states that 72% are Indo-Aryans (in personality) rest are dravidian/mongoloids.

I agree with you on this but what is the source from where you got the 28% being aryan mixture?  Rajput said 72% were aryan mixture but your statement was that rather its 28% are or were you being sarcastic?

Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 01:28

seraiki is not popular at all in Pakistan..what is the date of your map? Do you have recent figures?

Pakistani people communicate with each other in urdu or punjabi, predominantly. Seraiki is still not common. They look like muhajirs.

-- Albert Einstein
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 01:33
I agree with you on this but what is the source from where you got the 28% being aryan mixture?  Rajput said 72% were aryan mixture but your statement was that rather its 28% are or were you being sarcastic?
Even after reading the Greek man's letter, everyone is stating that Aryan mixture is in the minority. When I replied to Rajput who stated that 72% is Indo-Aryan instead, I switched his numbers (supporting the theory that majority is non-indo aryan and minority is)...and concluded that his numbers should rather be switched around, because 72% is too high. If you go to India, 72% ppl do not look like that, so it should be the other way around (he got his statistics wrong) and 28% seemed more appropriate.

100-72=28%

-- Albert Einstein
Rajputana View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rajputana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 13:10
LOL

Even after reading the Greek man's letter, everyone is stating that Aryan mixture is in the minority.

Ofcourse, I'm with you 110% there buddy, if given some reference as to the source, even I will be forced to acknowledge that the Aryan mixture would more than likely be in a minority.  But, what is our fellow Greek man's source for the 1%-2%, moreover who is this Greek man that you have quoted?

When I replied to Rajput who stated that 72% is Indo-Aryan instead, I switched his numbers (supporting the theory that majority is non-indo aryan and minority is)...and concluded that his numbers should rather be switched around, because 72% is too high. If you go to India, 72% ppl do not look like that, so it should be the other way around (he got his statistics wrong) and 28% seemed more appropriate.  100-72=28%

LOL so 28% is a fictitious figure nonetheless, but to you it would seem more appropriate, but this was just a figment of your imagination was it not?

So, at the end of the day we have a random % by one person who took the liberty of subtracting 100-72 and the other is a anonymous greek who we dont even know if he/she exists or not he comes up with 1%-2%....lol and we've wasted more than enough pages on this discussion over randomness. Ermm
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 01:29
28% is the real number according to Mr. Rajputs statistics.  He found it ask him. I was reversing the numbers to tell him that its most likely the other way around. Don't take my words out of context.

The Greek man didn't literally mean that % according to what he witnessed in person, he said in his own words that it is very irresponsible for Indians to declare them a majority of this race, when almost everyone he saw with his own eyes all over the country looked nothing like it. Its a figure of speech, he is requesting India to fix its statistics correctly. He was an eye-witness who was shocked from his own experience. What more proof do you need?

If ppl say those figures are wrong then...why don't you give us the right figures for India?

Edited by northpakistani - 18-Apr-2007 at 01:34

-- Albert Einstein
Rajputana View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rajputana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 10:29

28% is the real number according to Mr. Rajputs statistics.  He found it ask him. I was reversing the numbers to tell him that its most likely the other way around. Don't take my words out of context.

Mr.Rajput said 72% (Highly improbable) but then you go on to say 28%....did Mr. Rajput mention the 28% or was it you?  And if it were you then where find you this figure....you say by subtracting 100-72=28.  What led you to figuring this 'forumla' out to calculate this number? 

If ppl say those figures are wrong then...why don't you give us the right figures for India?

People are saying those figures are wrong northpakistani because you're acknowledging the fact that those numbers are fictitious. 

** I dont think you'll find the % of aryan peoples in India based on racial profiling - you will however find it based on linguistics.
mughal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mughal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 17:23
ok if aryans were light skinned, then certianally 90% of indians didn't get effected by them. Most indians still look very dravidian.
kshtriya-Mer View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote kshtriya-Mer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 19:15

Can someone pleas tell me what is the big deal with the Aryan theory?

I think their was no such invasion and even if their was it proves nuffing in terms of superiority. Even if the Indians are a mix of the so called Aryans and Dravidians that is not enirley a bad thing.

The Dravidians are not a third class people. They pre date the Aryans in terms of culture and early society. Look at the Indus valley culture.

Dravadians should not be looked down apon dont fall into this white propaganda the dravadians had one of if not the oldest civilisations on this earth and our are brothers.

My brothers do not look upon each other as Aryan and Dravidian but look upon each other as Indians. The same people who genetically wrote great texts like the Ramayana and Mahabharata the oldest and arguably the greatest texts in terms of philosophy.

The same people that had great maharajas like Ahsoka the great. And the same people that created other international great religions like Buddhism and Jainism.

After all the word Aryan was stolen from us and used to divide us. In our ancient vedic books all it meant as noble.

Cheers

Maher

K. V. Ramakrishna Rao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 22:23
In the so-called "Dravidian" literarutre, the "Dravidian women" have been white or "Maniram" and not black. So also men.

How then, our friends go on assert that "Dravidians" are black and so on?

Note, one member of AE after seeing my photo, has recorded that I am a Dravidian, but he did not give any rational or reasonable explanation.

So, if any argument is there, let us argue with evidences.

Moreover, it is better, if we know to whom we are discussing and debating with so that we can cite suitable references accoring to the nationality, language, location etc., to drive out the point to be made.

History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
pathan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote pathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 22:47
well in general most south indians are dark skinned and south indians are largely dravidians.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12