Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Latinos are...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: I believe Latinos are...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [8.82%]
4 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.88%]
16 [47.06%]
1 [2.94%]
1 [2.94%]
1 [2.94%]
2 [5.88%]
1 [2.94%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latinos are...
    Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 17:48
Originally posted by Top Gun

Latinos seem nice people however I never met one

Now you have !
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 17:49
Originally posted by Patrinos

Originally posted by pinguin

Gringo is the same as Latino

Is Gringo in any way related with Griego?
What Gringo means,the stranger?

From what I read, yes: it was a word meaning Greek.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 18:01
Well, I have read many theories about the world "Gringo". Perhaps the closer to reality is the one that say it comes from "Speak like a Greek" (sorry Greek fellows), that means a foreigner that has a difficult Spanish-pronounciation, like the way people from India or Russia speak English.

We use the term "Gringo" in several contexts. The first is simply "blond". Any blond is a gringo, including Latinos. Therefore is applyed to Europeans and U.S. citizens alike, giving they are germanic-looking.

The second is a citizen of the United States or Germany.

The third is an English-Speaker.

The forth is an European immigrant to Latin America.

The fifth is a son of Latinos born in the U.S. that speak English as the main tongue.

Finally, at least in South America, Gringo is not a hate world at all. Is more like a friendly refference to a friend, pulling theirs legs of course.

American women that have a Latino boyfriend or husband are usually called "gringuitas", that means something like "my cute little blond sweetheart" LOL

Pinguin

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 18:43

Indeed. Thanks for your definition of Gringo in many POW...

I wonder, does that make the second last poll option is invalid?

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 18:45
Well, criminals are everywhere. And I believe nobody that met him found that Pablo Escobar (the drug dealer and mass murderer) was a good fellow.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 01-Feb-2007 at 18:46
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 19:00
I prefer the version of the "Green go!", 100% mexican Smile
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 19:03

Well, criminals are everywhere. And I believe nobody that met him found that Pablo Escobar (the drug dealer and mass murderer) was a good fellow.

Pinguin

How is a drug dealer/mass murderer a good fellow?Dead

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 19:15
He was not. But most Latinos are not Pablo Escobar LOL

Not me, anyways.

Pinguin
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 19:21

Of course...LOL

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 22:58

Hey guys, there were 14 votes for Latina women. Unbelievable.

It would be interesting to see what is the Latina of your dreams. I love Salma Hayek and Shakira. Don't tell my wife, though, who is also a Latina, and like all our women have a very explosive character specially when jellous. LOL

Women are also invited to vote for theirs favorite Latino men, of course.

This is a Latina I love. She is called Valeria Mazza, and is Argentinean. She is marryied already, though, which is such a pitty Ermm

Pinguin

AfrikaJamaika View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 12:37

Pinguin

wow i never knew Latinos could be blond, funny thing is i know a girl that looks just like her she's a real nice, and friendly girl however i always thought she was white maybe she is Latino....

Hey Pinguin do you know all the different groups of Latinos?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 13:54

Latino just mean born in Latin America, fellow.

In here there are people from all around the world, just like in the United States. In the U.S. just the "visible" Latinos call the attention of Americans. That is, Latinos that look indigenous or mulattoes. Most "white" Latinos are not even noticed in the street (at least they open theirs mouth Big%20smile). Not would be noticed those that look Italian, Arab, Germanic or Pakistanian. Less our Latino people of Japanese or Chinese ancestry (there are millions in here, too)

I lived in Canada years ago and I remember a friend there, of Italian ancestry, that visited Miami once. He came back saying "Jesus: everyone there is Italian". I said to him "Common. Those are Latinos". He insisted, that they weren't but Italians. I couldn't convince him at all Big%20smile.

That's the funny thing about Latin America. Is not what people believes it is. It is not white, indian, black or asian, but all that and all combinations, and more. It is funny sometimes when Americans tourists pick a blond in the street and try to speak English to him. Believing they MUST speak English because they are blond!! LOL

Do you know Shakira father is Syrian? or that Salma Hayek also has Middle Eastern ancestry? That Frida Khalo father was Jewish? That Anthony Queen's mother was Irish? That our national heroe in Chile is also Irish? Etc.?

However, we don't live in isolated groups like in the U.S.. People here marry with whoever likes, and the combinations of people are awasome. That's the way things are.

And a warning. If you ever make a racist comment to a Latino of any color, be careful. You don't know how his mother, grandmother, brothers or sisters look like. And you don't know either how looks his girlfriend or wife or his bestfriends. Chances are they could be of another, so called, "race" LOL

Pinguin

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 14:44
I see the term 'latino' as being rather ambigious, partly because i live in a country where Italians, and, bizzarely, often Greeks and Turks, are labeled as 'Latin'.
I guess i am insufficiently Americanised.
See, i even spelt it wrong.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 15:27
Well, Italians are Latins, of course. They are Latin by blood. The term Latin also applies to the Europeans that speak a Latin language (Italians, Portugueses, French, Spaniards, Romanians)

The term Latino is a short of Latin American.

Now, to make things more confussing, most Latinos have Latin ancestry (from an European Latin country) and quite a lot also have Italian ancestry. Without discounting that Latin Americans have other admixtures as well.

As an example, I am a Latino that has some Latin European ancestry (Spanish. French) some Italian ancestry (Latin) and some Native American ancestry too LOLLOL. Isn't that weird? Big%20smile

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 03-Feb-2007 at 15:29
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 16:23
Not really.
Its that its not an every day term in the UK, and that by the time it gets here, via America, it takes on an American centric cliched form, so when i think if hte word, i think of the somewhat lame Americanised image of the 'latino' that we end up importing here.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 20:03
Originally posted by Cywr

Not really.
Its that its not an every day term in the UK, and that by the time it gets here, via America, it takes on an American centric cliched form, so when i think if hte word, i think of the somewhat lame Americanised image of the 'latino' that we end up importing here.

UK is very far away from Latin America, anyways LOL. Who cares?
The term "Latino" is a deal between the "gringos" and "us". That's all.

If it were fair, we should be called "Americans", anyways, not "Latinos". That's the way we call ourselves in Spanish LOL. So, the only way to short it out "Latin American", without using the term "American" that the U.S. people have hijacked,  is "Latino" Big%20smile

And alternative way is to use "Hispanic" for Hispanic American, but that leave out Brazilians, who are our fellow neighbours, so many of us don't agree, particularly South Americans.

The only other word we could use is "Westerners" because we live in the "Western Hemisphere", but that does not work either.

In short, I believe Latino is OK. For us, at least.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 03-Feb-2007 at 20:12
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 20:16
Unfortunatelly for the mexicans, in Spain we don't use the name of latinos but "Southamericans", for all. The only exception is when talk about latinos in USA, in that case we use "hispanos"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 20:30
Yes. I know it. They are called "sudacas".

And I also know Latin Americans have not been very good treated in Spain lately. That's quite shameful because for the Spanish Civil War, our people received the refugees with open arms.

Regards,

Omar
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 22:17

And a warning. If you ever make a racist comment to a Latino of any color, be careful. You don't know how his mother, grandmother, brothers or sisters look like. And you don't know either how looks his girlfriend or wife or his bestfriends. Chances are they could be of another, so called, "race" LOL

Pinguin

I like that, built-in anti-racist measures.LOL I thougt Gringo were the same as Latino, what the north americans called the hispanics.Embarrassed

Latino's are cool i think, very good at football.LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 22:30

Yes!

But we write pretty cool too. Compose good music (even Classical). Paint with the heart. Love with passion. Drive high-speed car races like nuts. And try to enjoy life... while it last LOL

It couldn't be otherwise. We are just humans. Long time ago we realize we are not better nor worst that anyone else. And that, at the end, we are all going to be burn in hell Big%20smile. That's our phylosophy, anyways.

So enjoy the party of life, while you can do it.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 03-Feb-2007 at 22:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>