Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Borat: The Movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Please... did you like the movie? If not... I will be executed...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [76.67%]
7 [23.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borat: The Movie
    Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 15:42
Its just a mockery...I dont understand Hebrew so I cant say whether Borat's and his co-traveller's conversations make sense (sinse one talks in Armenians the other in Hebrew). By the way, the showed the picture of Ilham Aliev at the end LOL
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 03:04
yes I see. I was wondering if said someting that realy makes sence but apperantly not.

yeah whats the deal with that the former Azeri president is shown as the Kazakh president
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 13:19
     The funny thing is that Azamat's speech actually matched the subtitles (although the vulgarity was toned down at certain parts!).

I heard that after the movie came out a real Kazakh government envoy or official was denouncing Borat. Borat responded by calling him an Uzbek imposter LOL
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 14:00
I heard that after the movie came out a real Kazakh government envoy or official was denouncing Borat. Borat responded by calling him an Uzbek imposter

Nice one! lol.  I found out the other day that Sascha Baron Choen is actually half Iranian.  His mother is an Iranian Jew.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 15:32
Originally posted by Zagros

I heard that after the movie came out a real Kazakh government envoy or official was denouncing Borat. Borat responded by calling him an Uzbek imposter

Nice one! lol.  I found out the other day that Sascha Baron Choen is actually half Iranian.  His mother is an Iranian Jew.

an you think that something to be proud of LOL

You shoud have kept in on the downlow(lol)
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 12:27
Originally posted by xi_tujue

yeah whats the deal with that the former Azeri president is shown as the Kazakh president

I think some people are missing the point of the movie. The point of the movie isn't to make fun of kazakhs or their way of life, it's making fun of American ignorance of other countries.The best comparison to this movie is Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans". Describing Borat as anti-Turk is like describing Rick Mercer as anti-Canadian. 

The point is that just because a certain country has "stan" at the end of its name, there are certain assumptions and predispositions that Americans have about its people, that they're just "muslims from one of those mid-east countries".

When Sacha Baron Cohen was doing Borat interviews as part of his Ali G show, he'd actually make notes in Hebrew assuming most people would not know Kazakh is written in Cyrillic, and not recognize the foreign script, and it worked.

Stuff like using the Azeri President, or having him describe a fictional animosity between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan (another one of the "stans" most assume is "somewhere in the middle east") is just playing on and showcasing people's ignorance, and that's what makes it funny.

PS Running of the Jews = Hilarious Tongue
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 14:32
That's a broad sweeping generalization about the thoughts of the American people. Where is your data coming from - especailly with regards to "the stans and ignorance?" I would argue the point of the movie with you. The point as I see it is to highlight the cultural differences through out the world and how transporting one into another is awkward and at times comical. If anything the movie does not really show the ignorance of Americans but rather their tolerance. Examples of this are the drivers ed. segment and the ettiquite segment just to name two.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 14:17
You have no argument from me there. I think what i said came out a bit wrong. I wasn't generalizing all Americans as ignorant, just that most are a bit un-aware of the world outside the US. That might be something left over from your isolationist days. If i could find "Talking to Americans" I would post it, that illustrates my point completely.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 15:03
The film was funny,but if i was Kazahstan government i would sue producers.This movie insults kazah people.It is the same with the romania village where move was shot.Producers lied romanians that they made a clip for the small romanian villages which purpose was to promote their culture and traditions.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
BAWIR$AQ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote BAWIR$AQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 17:18
I guess I am the only real Kazakh here.

The real interpretation of the movie, as TIME Magazine have brilliantly put it BORAT MAKE FUNNY JOKE ON IDIOT AMERICANS!" (10/29/06), is to show the world what real America and Britain are all about, successfully magnifying all the negative qualities those countries have been trying to hide for decades under the so-called political correctness"!

Kazakhstan, on the other hand, is made fun for no reason. It is simply being slandered!

FACTS about Borat you should now:

► Movie's "Kazakhstan" was actually filmed in Romania.
► Borat is Jewish, Azamat is Armenian, and other "Kazakhs" are all Romanians.
► Borat speaks Polish and Hebrew languages, not Kazakh.
► Typical Kazakhs don't look anything like Borat.
► 'Borat' is not a Kazakh name (the closest Kazakh name is 'Bolat', meaning "steel").
► Borat's penchants for incest, rape, bestiality, homosexuality, misogyny, and prostitution are ALIEN and OFFENSIVE to the Kazakh culture.

There's nothing related to the real Kazakhstan, except for some Kazakh names (Azamat, Nursultan) and the country's flag.

Read the REVIEW of the debate thus far:

Review of Kazakhstan vs. Borat debate by Greg Burris

If people believe in the existence of Borat's Kazakhstan, they bring out ignorance in themselves.
Stop being ignorant and learn a little bit about the real Kazakhstan and the rest of the world

P.S.
And yes, this topic does not belong in this forum. It needs to be moved to Tavern or some plece else.

"Malım janımnı sadağası, Janım arımnı sadağası"

"Sacrifice your riches for your life, Sacrifice your life for your honor"
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 19:40
I think the name Borat comes from the  name Berat wich  is given to boys in turkey and is arabic in origin accualy.

As for Kazakhstan it had o be someone and it just happend to be Kazakhstan. Why not An ex-soviet country with muslim population who are turkic. Culturaly verry diverse from americans
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 19:58
Originally posted by BAWIR$AQ

If people believe in the existence of Borat's Kazakhstan, they bring out ignorance in themselves.
Stop being ignorant and learn a little bit about the real Kazakhstan and the rest of the world

I think you are missing the point. You are acting like this was a serious "real" documentary. In fact it is a work of comedy. Do you really think that the people who saw this movie think this is what Kazakhstan is really like. Come on dude give people more credit than that. Most people who went and saw that movie know that Kazakhstan is not really like that. Borat is a characiture not a real person, the same can be said for the town and other characters in the movie. Nobody believes them/this movie to be real.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 20:06
this guy " borat" is really funny.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 00:49
I loved this movie and was laughing the whole time!
BAWIR$AQ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote BAWIR$AQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 02:03
Originally posted by King John

You are acting like this was a serious "real" documentary. In fact it is a work of comedy. Do you really think that the people who saw this movie think this is what Kazakhstan is really like.

I speak from my own experience (as a Kazakh student in the US) and from the experiences of tons of Kazakh students all over America who I have contact with thru the student network. This movie DOES serve as a "serious" documentary to many Americans.

Borat's portrayal of Kazakhs is nothing more than a lie and a slander that has nothing to do with the real Kazakhs and Kazakhstan. Moreover, "Borat" discredits our people in the eyes of millions by portraying Kazakhs as urine-drinking and sister-f**king retards. Most of the Kazakhs have a strong sense of pride and self-respect, and such kind of lies are offensive to us.

We probably wouldn't much care if not the fact that many of the Americans due to their ignorance actually BELIEVE in what Sacha Cohen says about Kazakhstan and approach Kazakh students with serious questions based on what they've "learned" from Borat.

Nobody believes them/this movie to be real.
You may be speaking for yourself and your friends, but unfortunately "nobody" doesn't apply to all Americans.

Me and other Kazakh srudents found out that those people who say that "nobody" believes in Borat's Kazakstan are simply out of touch with reality.

They say so because they are not exposed to the SAME ignorance that is experienced by the people from Kazakstan. They don't put themselves in our position, nor they care to.

Most people who went and saw that movie know that Kazakhstan is not really like that.

You are too optimistic.

Most of the people who went to see Borat knew little to nothing about Kazakhstan.

Kazakhstan gained independence only 15 years ago, most of the world either naven't heard of the country, or hardly distinguishes it from its neighbours with similar-sounding names. In this sense, the movie is a disaster for newly independent Kazakhstan. It creates misconceptions in people watching it.

Let me just remind you about the recent political crisis between Russia and Georgia, when Georgians requested Russia to withdraw its troops. Many people from the former Soviet Union were shocked to read the discussions on American forums about this, where the people thought that Russia had troops in the state of Georgia (USA). They didn't even know that there is a republic of Georgia in the Caucasus, which was even visited by Bush in 2005.

So, please don't tell me it's only a harmless joke that can't create misconceptions among people with such insight and reasoning abilities.

Again, I ask you to read this excellent article to fully understand Kazakh opinion on Borat:

Review of Kazakhstan vs. Borat debate by Greg Burris

P.S.

In the infamous Next Country to Invade video somebody pinned Kazakhstan. Sad..

Edited by BAWIR$AQ - 14-Jan-2007 at 02:05

BAWIR$AQ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote BAWIR$AQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 02:04
Part of the movie was made in one of the poorest villages of Romania among the Gypsy population who were supposed to be the ordinary Kazakhs. It is a village with no schools, no hospitals, nothing. (Maybe that's the conception of Kazakhstan the makers of the movie have.) The poor people there were paid 4 Euros a day, while we all know that the movie made millions of dollars. And what is worse, the Gypsies were told that the movie would be about their bad conditions of living, that people from all around the world would see the poverty they live in. They were not told that everybody will make fun of them.

Borat film 'tricked' poor village actors

Fans of Borat, this is the ugly price of your laughs.

Enjoy...

BAWIR$AQ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote BAWIR$AQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 02:11
The price of your joy and laugh is also the tears of the Kazakh children!

4,000+ American Families with Children Adopted from Kazakhstan Personally Feel Impact of Borat

November 1 press release from the Kazakh Aul of the U.S.

PROVIDENCE, RI - Since 1998, American families have adopted more than 4,000 children from Kazakhstan, and the numbers continue to grow. The impending major theatrical release of the movie, "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"? is already impacting some families in negative ways.

The Kazakh Aul of the U.S., Association for American & Kazakh Families, is a nonprofit organization with members in 27 states. We recognize that Sascha Baron Cohens movie is a vehicle for satire and many people - including some of our own members enjoy his humor. Nonetheless, our members also comprise children who do not yet have the adult skills to understand and separate their young identities from those of the Kazakhstanis who are portrayed by Cohen.

For example, one mother reported that she and her 9-year-old daughter from Kazakhstan recently viewed a television interview with Mr. Cohen as Borat in which he described how one would not want to marry a Kazakh woman because they are ugly, and in the background a scene was panned with peasant women in a very poor village. Another adoptive mother described her children watching an announcer on VH1 segue from a story on Madonnas recent adoption of an African boy to a story on Borat, saying something along the lines of, "And, now, a country you wouldnt want to adopt from, Kazakhstan..."? The womans 7-year-old Kazakh daughter burst into tears.

These two examples demonstrate what Kazakhstan adoptive families in the U.S. are dealing with in response to this movie. Given that the film will live on for years on DVD, its impact upon Kazakh adoptive families, their friends, and their school mates, may be felt for years to come.

We ask that viewers of "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" UNDERSTAND that the portrayal of Kazakhs in the movie is not true to life, and to be SENSITIVE to the very real feelings of Kazakh children here in the U.S.

The Kazakh Aul of the United States, Association for American & Kazakh Families, is incorporated in Rhode Island, and our mission includes providing a sense of community for American families with children adopted from Kazakhstan. Through heritage camps & festivals we educate and strive to meet the cultural needs of families.

For more information, contact: Susan Saxon, Volunteer Administrative Executive Director, (401) 486-4023, ssaxon@kazakh-aul-us.org.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 06:49
In the infamous Next Country to Invade video somebody pinned Kazakhstan. Sad..

OMG plz tell me this is a joke

how can people be that retarded not dumb but retarded. I get that not all people know were all the countries in the world are located

but you should know were europe and France is.

iran is in the Freakin middle east and there is nothing middle about australia.

but the catch here is all the countries were Australia the man who ask the questions was a Australian.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 06:55
Goodness gracious me. What a funny bunch of people - are they serious! Pinch
I mean, the map shows the word in capitals; AUSTRALIA, yet they still put it down as Iran/North Korea. I like that guy who goes, "...and you know it's amazing 'cos I just realised just now that North Korea's a lot larger than South Korea! I didn't know it was so large like that!" -- referring to Australia and Tasmania...how silly Tongue
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 06:56
youtube is full of retardation, thats half the fun of it.

Interestingly the most negative review of Borat i've read took issue of the mocking of 'ordinary Americans'. I guess the guy in the article whatshisface linked has a point, Ali G was crticised by some (i should say, largely irrelevant commentators) for mocking 'black culture'.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>