Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pick the best /worst cold war weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pick the best /worst cold war weapons
    Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 20:35
Originally posted by Desperado

"
"... catastrophic hit"-what does it mean? A lot of M1's(as well as Merkava's) were disabled some of them to unrapairable condition during the last few years. 
Catastrophic hit means that the tank is totally destroyed and the crew killed (usually by ammunition "ccok off").   The vast majority of the crewmen on the M-1s  that have been damaged beyond repair have survived.  The hits were not catastrophic.    The ony catastrophic hits on an M-1 have been by road bombs using lots of plastic explosives.

"
... but T 62s had severe suspension problems"- that's not true. Give me the source of this info. 

Here is a source describing other T 62 design flaws.  I will try to find one that mentions suspension directly.

And here is a source referring to better Polish Czech build quality of export T-72s.  I will try to address other aspects off your relpy later on, but I have to go for now.

Edited by Cryptic - 22-Aug-2006 at 21:07
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 10:12
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/t62tank.htm

"...The T-62 has all the limitations of the T-55: cramped crew compartment, thin armor, crude gun control equipment (on most models), limited depression of main gun, and vulnerable fuel and ammunition storage areas."-Is this the real situation? Almost all of this are subjective and biased claims, speculations etc.-part from the Cold war propaganda.    For example, let's take a look at the claim that T62 has "thin armor". Compared to what? Here is how "thin" really was his armor compared to it's main rival M60A3:
T62: front upper side: 102 mm
     turret front: 242 mm
     turret side: 153 mm
     side: 79 mm
M60A3: front armor: 120 mm
        turret front: 225 mm
        turret side: 102 mm
        side: 70 mm
Have you ever read somewhere that M60 has thin armor too? The other claims are as baseless as this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72#Production_history

I can't see why the license build T-72's are of better quality but it's clearly written:
"... These were with inferior armour, lacking the resin-embedded ceramics layer inside the turret front and glacis armour, replaced with all steel. The polish-made T-72G tanks also had thinner armour compared to soviet standard (410mm for turret). Before 1990, soviet-made T-72 export versions were similarly downgraded for non-WARPAC customers (mostly the arab countries)."

So, from all this I don't know why you make such general conclusions about the inferrior Soviet armor for the whole period-the soviets had their good designs too, and they were infact better till the mid 80's-with the introduction of Merkava Mk 3, M1A1 etc.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 10:25

(The T-62 has) "crude gun control equipment (on most models),  The automatic spent-cartridge ejection system can cause dangerous accumulations of carbon monoxide and possibly actual physical injury to the crew from cartridge cases projected against the edge of a poorly aligned ejection port and rebounding into the crew compartment.

Each time the gun is fired, the tube must go into detente for cartridge ejection, and the power traverse of the turret is inoperable during ejection and reloading operations. Since manual elevation and traverse are rather slow and not effective for tracking a moving target, rapid fire and second-hit capabilities are limited."

Actually, I was refering to these points about the main gun and fire control system.  The M 60A3 did not have these design problems.

I can't see why the license build T-72's are of better quality but it's clearly written:
"... These were with inferior armour, lacking the resin-embedded ceramics layer inside the turret front and glacis armour, replaced with all steel. The polish-made T-72G tanks also had thinner armour compared to soviet standard (410mm for turret). Before 1990, soviet-made T-72 export versions were similarly downgraded for non-WARPAC customers (mostly the arab countries)."

Because the Soviet T 72s provided to export clients lacked the advanced, thicker armour as well.  Thus the Polish / Czech "basic" T 72s delivered to clients had better build quality than the basic T72s provided by the Soviet Union.  This can also be intuitively confirmed by anybody who knows the reputation of Czech weapons industry for precision and manufacturing quality.

Edited by Cryptic - 23-Aug-2006 at 10:32
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 11:03
"... had better build quality than the basic T72s provided by the Soviet Union"-what kind of features includes that "better build quality"?

"...This can also be intuitively confirmed by anybody who knows the reputation of Czech weapons industry for precision and manufacturing quality."-A typical stereotype of Cold era thinking based on speculation, a patriotic and nationalistic feelings (a distinct characteristic of the US and also Russian armor fans). Both the license made and Soviet T-72's were produced with the same machinery and had to answer the same technical standarts and requirments-that of the original producer:UVZ in this case. The Chinese made Soviet weapons are generally pirate copies and usually don't answer the technical requirments for the license build ones.
There were NO cases of customers preference to license made tanks based on other than political reasons.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2010 at 20:33
I have always found cold war weapons fascinating. For almost three generations, two dueling alliances applied their best human engineering talents and countless billions of dollars, roubles, marks etc in designing a dazzling variety of weapons.  Thankfully, most were never used. 

So, does anybody want to discuss cold war weapons?
Originally posted by Cryptic

What were the best designed and the most overated weapons of the coldwar.

My picks are....

Best

1. AK 47:  50 million satisfied users cant be wrong
2.  RPG:  Easy to use, small back blast, still deadly against armour and helicopters, can be used as very basic or a pretty sophisticated weapon depending on user's training.
3. BMP:  This started the whole Infantry Fighting Vehicle Concept.  BMP came out years before Bradley, Warrior etc.  Bradleys are just BMPs on steroids
4. F-16: Often imitated, never duplicated
5. F-4 Pantom: Incredible versatility, can take off from a runway or a carrier, huge bomb load and can be used as a figher as well.

Worst
1. Soviet Tanks - Cramped crew compartment,  horrible ammunition storage, small load of ammunition, prone to catastrophic hits

Honorable mentions for best:
SA-6:  Excellent soviet missile, started the mobile SAM revolution.  Still deadly into the 1990s against top of the line opponents.

More horrible designs: 
 BTR series Soviet APCs.  Dual gasoline engines made for maintenance nightmares and deadly fires, infantry had to exit the vehicle between the wheels

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Oct-2010 at 23:36
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2010 at 17:46
Might I suggest a 3rd catagory.  Totally Ridiculous Weapons.  After seeing Pauls old post I was reminded of things as "The Atomic Rifle"Tongue Which would have taken out as many of our troops as the enemy's. 

The early stages of the Cold War and the weapons devised from 1950 to the mid 60's I find the most interesting.  I lived through it.  I was fascinated with it as a kid and I guess that's sort of stuck with me.  My dad working on defense projects like the Talos missle helped fuel the interest.
The fact that the town was 40% military didn't hurt either.  I got to hear "things" from other guys whose dads may have been officers.
One thing I've noticed about these threads is how hard it is to convey to anyone under 30 what the atmosphere surrounding that time was like and how unsophisticated, weapons and defense technology in general was.
That being said, I want to nominate the first entry in the new catagory- [This might kick up a little noiseBig smile

1.  The Nike Missle System.  As far as I'm concerned it was a sham.  The East Coast of the US was covered with Nike bases.  About half had the Hercules which could carry a nuke.  Some of them were nuke armed.  All, of them had the Ajax which was supposed to knock down any Soviet missles or bombers.  None of them could have hit the broad side of a barn.  It was an incredibly expensive Show piece.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2010 at 23:16
Originally posted by red clay

Might I suggest a 3rd catagory.  Totally Ridiculous Weapons.  After seeing Pauls old post I was reminded of things as "The Atomic Rifle"Tongue Which would have taken out as many of our troops as the enemy's.  

1.  The Nike Missle System.  As far as I'm concerned it was a sham

Thanks for the information about a U.S. dud.  The over hyped threat that the over priced Nike was supposed to counter were probably small numbers of turbo prop Bear bombers whose engines were designed by captive Germans. 

As a matter of fact, I think the Bear was heavily influenced by reverse engineering several B-29s that were forced to land in Siberia during WWII and the Soviets "forgot" to return them. Imagine the irony, the Nike duds were supposed to shoot down a largely U.S. aircraft flying with German engines.

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Oct-2010 at 23:37
Maximus Germanicus I View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2010 at 10:22
The Best:

US-M1 Tank (unmatched) the BFV, the LA class subs
UK- Challenger
USSR- AK47, BMPs and the T-55 (the only decent Soviet tank after WW2)

The Worst
US- SGT York, Gamma Goats, Nike and the Army Hovercraft
USSR- any and all Tanks after the T-55

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2010 at 18:32
Originally posted by Maximus Germanicus I

The Best:
US-M1 Tank (unmatched) the BFV
UK- Challenger
I agree completely about the M-1 and the BFV.  Though the BFV lacked the true innovative spirit of the BMP.  It is kind of interesting, Soviet engineers created very innovative weapons, but Soviet technology could not keep pace with vastly improved western copies. For example:

-Soviets invent IFV concept (BMP) but cannot afford to duplicate Bradleys and Warriors.
-Soviets design first MANPAD system  (SA-7). It actually works but gets out classed by Stingers
-Mobile SAMS are a Soviet concept (SA-6, SA-8)
-Anti ship Missiles?  Another Soviet first.  But then the French develop Exocet...

And also the horribly designed BTR series of vehicles (dual gas engines, infantry dismounts between the wheels Confused)

Also, the French need credit too.  They forecasted a continued need for high quality light armoured vehicles and designed some of the best of the cold war. 

Edited by Cryptic - 10-Oct-2010 at 18:39
Maximus Germanicus I View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2010 at 00:51
Originally posted by Cryptic

The Best:
US-M1 Tank (unmatched) the BFV
UK- Challenger
I agree completely about the M-1 and the BFV.  Though the BFV lacked the true innovative spirit of the BMP.  It is kind of interesting, Soviet engineers created very innovative weapons, but Soviet technology could not keep pace with vastly improved western copies. For example:

-Soviets invent IFV concept (BMP) but cannot afford to duplicate Bradleys and Warriors.
-Soviets design first MANPAD system  (SA-7). It actually works but gets out classed by Stingers
-Mobile SAMS are a Soviet concept (SA-6, SA-8)
-Anti ship Missiles?  Another Soviet first.  But then the French develop Exocet...

And also the horribly designed BTR series of vehicles (dual gas engines, infantry dismounts between the wheels Confused)

Also, the French need credit too.  They forecasted a continued need for high quality light armoured vehicles and designed some of the best of the cold war. 

I agree, The Soviets often were the innovators, they had great ideas--It was the Communist model that forced them to produce on the cheap therefore they couldn't keep pace with the technology of the west.

Sometimes producing simple blunt insts of war is the best way, esp if you are supplying revolutionaries with very little military background and limited education (case in point the RPG, The AK47 and the Strela 2) they are all 40-60 yr old weapons that are still being used today.

The same with the T-55 produced in 1945 and still in use in 50 armies today.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2010 at 20:32

I agree, The Soviets often were the innovators, they had great ideas--It was the Communist model that forced them to produce on the cheap therefore they couldn't keep pace with the technology of the west.

And this was especially true with aircraft. The Soviets simply could not produce the true multirole aircraft such as F-16s, Phantoms, Skyhawks. Tornadoes, etc.  Even ther MIG-29s were poor copies of the F-16. Soviet successes with aircraft were few and far between.  The Cobra was the better helicopter design  than the over hyped Hind. 

[ 

Sometimes producing simple blunt insts of war is the best way, esp if you are supplying revolutionaries with very little military background and limited education (case in point the RPG, The AK47 and the Strela 2) they are all 40-60 yr old weapons that are still being used today.

The same with the T-55 produced in 1945 and still in use in 50 armies today.

Good point. The same is true with the MIG 21.  Small, simple to maintain and inexpensive to buy and to fly.  Though not a super star aircraft, it was competitive (and to a degree, it still is against all but the most advanced planes). 

So what if it is not a sexy multirole plane like the F-16. Most users did not have the expertise to use multi role aircraft anyways.  The MIG 21 was and is the T-55 tank of the air and one fo the few good Soviet aircraft designs.  

Edited by Cryptic - 11-Oct-2010 at 20:46
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2010 at 16:57
I propose that amongst the best weapons of the Cold War period were the wire guided anti-tank missiles! I am sure the Soviet tank command was always worried about them, since they would have surely cut well into the superior numbers of Soviet tanks, vs allied tanks!

As far as I know, a lot of Western Europe was built to become a vast tank trap for Soviet armoured units!

Amongst the worst had to be the B-58 Hustler bomber!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2010 at 19:18
Originally posted by opuslola

I propose that amongst the best weapons of the Cold War period were the wire guided anti-tank missiles! I am sure the Soviet tank command was always worried about them, since they would have surely cut well into the superior numbers of Soviet tanks, vs allied tanks! 

I agree, they were a key weapon and the Soviets were worried about them.  Ironically, the Soviets fielded the first portable anti tank missiles ("suit case" saggers).  The Egyptians used saggers to make the first missile hits on modern tanks in the Yom Kippur war.

But.... engineers in the U.S. and NATO then quickly developed vastly improved TOW and Milan missiles using the same concept.  I think this was another example of Soviet innovation that was then unable to match the hi technology of western weapons.     

I read one account by an Israeli tank commander whose unit had been ordered to charge Egyptian infantry. The Israeli commander  thought that the Egyptian soldiers had lost their minds when he saw them just kneeling in the open.   Then, tanks after tank got hit by weapons that the Israelis had never seen before.

Edited by Cryptic - 16-Oct-2010 at 19:26
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2010 at 21:19
Thank you Cryptic! I figured some of you guy's had also considered this point!

My sources in NATO describe a period of twenty years when a large portion of E. Western Europe, was literally remade to include forrested hillsides, ridges, etc., whereby our "pop-up" and shoot "anti-tank helicopters" could hide and shoot, etc.!

Perhaps all of you are familar with the concept?

Regards,
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2010 at 09:21
Originally posted by opuslola

Thank you Cryptic! I figured some of you guy's had also considered this point!

My sources in NATO describe a period of twenty years when a large portion of E. Western Europe, was literally remade to include forrested hillsides, ridges, etc., whereby our "pop-up" and shoot "anti-tank helicopters" could hide and shoot, etc.!

Perhaps all of you are familar with the concept?

Regards,

Hadn't heard of this in Europe, but knowing this was done in Korea, I'm not surprised.

Spent some time this week with "Big Red".  Dad had a different view of the Nike System.  His view was " The Nike system did what it was designed to do."  "Replace the WWII AAA emplacements and provide the citizenry with a false sense of security.  Did it ever occur  to anyone that the bases were situated in the open?  With no attempt whatsoever to hide them?  Or that the Missles were on elaborate launch stands that stood out like a sore thumb?"
It didn't matter that the chances of shooting down anything with a Nike were slim to none.  The idea being that the US wouldn't spend Billions on something that didn't work as advertised. And the liklyhood that they would be tested in warfare was extremely low.

Another way of looking at it I suppose.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2010 at 11:43
Originally posted by red clay

Spent some time this week with "Big Red".  Dad had a different view of the Nike System.  His view was " The Nike system did what it was designed to do."  "Replace the WWII AAA emplacements and provide the citizenry with a false sense of security. 

It didn't matter that the chances of shooting down anything with a Nike were slim to none.  The idea being that the US wouldn't spend Billions on something that didn't work as advertised. And the liklyhood that they would be tested in warfare was extremely low.

Another way of looking at it I suppose.

Also, think of the connotation of the word "rocket" during that time.  Sputnik was launched on a rocket (missile), nuclear rockets could threaten us from afar.  Rockets could put Russians in space where they undoubtably lewdly drooled over U.S. territory.  Rockets might even bring martians hereConfused.   Thankfully, American rocket scientists were hard at work devising ways to protect us.  

If the Soviet rockets could put sputnik in orbit, we needed our own sexy rocket to protect us.  It did not matter if the missiles never worked or that Soviet planes could not reach us.

In the end, as your father mentioned, the public was told that a genuine, American rockets designed, built and manned by super smart (and super virile) Americans were ready to protect each and every one of us. I know that I would have slept secureWink.

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Oct-2010 at 12:12
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2010 at 21:16
As did I!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 18:07
We all did.  I was just thinking about how the toy co's latched onto it.  Probably even helped to reinforce the idea. I had a Lionel Mobile Missle launching car.  Big smile  And what kind of missle was on it? A Nike of course. 
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 18:34
 Cryptic wrote-

Also, think of the connotation of the word "rocket" during that time.  Sputnik was launched on a rocket (missile), nuclear rockets could threaten us from afar.  Rockets could put Russians in space where they undoubtably lewdly drooled over U.S. territory.  Rockets might even bring martians hereConfused.   Thankfully, American rocket scientists were hard at work devising ways to protect us.  

That's as close as I've seen anyone get to the attitude and atmosphere of the time.  On the Martian thing, that's not as silly as you might think.  We're talking less than 20 years prior to 1950 and you have half a million folks out running around with shotguns looking for the "Martians".  In 1947 you have 2 highly publicized UFO Incidents and dozens of follow up sightings.  People weren't sure what to think.  But then, that whole era had a general mood that has been described as "Feeling like a Christian Scientist with appendicitis".

Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 19:18
Well, since I have been mostly silent, in this site, then I might well mention that the words "Nike" was most oftoned mentioned along with the word "Ajax!"

Which was another system!

Edited by opuslola - 19-Oct-2010 at 19:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>