Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Last Eurovision Thread (Go Armenia!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Last Eurovision Thread (Go Armenia!)
    Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 09:25
There's a scholar named Derek Gatherer who did a comprehensive analysis of Eurovision voting patterns after correctly determining for most of the last two decades who will win the contest.

This hear he predicts Bosnia and Herzegovina will win with high votes from the Balkan bloc and a few votes from elsewhere since it's a good song.

So - yay.

Now, I did a search for him and found part of his work. I think it's so funny how he named the "voting regions" where people vote mainly for their neighbors, LOL:

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 18:02
At the last minute, Croatia has released a professional video for Moja Stikla.

Also, in the All Kinds of Everything poll, Bosnia and Herzegovina is ranked in first place:

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 19:54
wait, where is Armenia?
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 20:36
Armenia is #12 in that poll.

An article from the BBC:

Eurovision hits a serious note
By Tim Judah
BBC Radio 4's Crossing Continents

Choosing a song for Europe may be a frivolous affair for some countries, but in the Balkans it is a sensitive matter which can have serious consequences.

Flamingosi performs the second best song in Serbia & Montenegro's contest
Serbia-Montenegro withdrew after a row over its contest to find a song
Let's face it. Most of Europe doesn't take it very seriously.

But as Aleksandar Tijanic, the powerful head of Serbian Television, reminded me: "It is difficult to understand if you don't understand the Balkans."

We are talking about the Eurovision Song Contest of course.

The first took place in Switzerland in 1956 and only eight countries took part.

Britain, Austria and Denmark were not represented because they failed to get their applications in on time.

What a difference half a century makes.

This year 37 countries will be jostling for the prize in Athens on 20 May and four of them, Macedonia, Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia, will be ex-Yugoslav states who take the contest very seriously indeed.

And next year there could be three more of them: Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo.

Balkan odyssey

Serbia-Montenegro
I began my Balkan Eurovision odyssey in Kosovo. The reason that they in particular take the contest so seriously is because they are not going.

Technically, Kosovo is a province of Serbia.

In fact, ever since the end of the war here in 1999, it has been under UN jurisdiction with security provided by Nato-led forces.

Kosovo has a population of some two million people, more than 90% of whom are ethnic Albanians.

They have consistently demanded independence, but this has been fiercely resisted by Serbia, which regards it as the cradle of its civilisation.

Some 100,000 Serbs remain in Kosovo, mostly scattered across the province in enclaves.

Rank treachery?

In theory, Kosovo Albanian bands could compete in Eurovision under the flag of Serbia and Montenegro.

Girl band Flakareshat
Flakareshat would rather compete for an independent Kosovo

In reality, they would never be chosen and besides, no Kosovo Albanian would ever consider doing such a thing, which would be considered rank treachery by fellow Albanians.

So for the last few years, Kosovo Albanian groups such as energetic girl-band Flakareshat have gone to Tirana, the capital of Albania, to compete.

If they had ever won, they would have competed under the flag of Albania.

But no band from Kosovo has been chosen. Yet another reason, say Kosovo Albanians, why it needs independence.

In fact, talks have started on the future of Kosovo and it is quite likely that, despite resistance from Serbia, Kosovo will be independent in time for the Eurovision song contest in 2007.

Political points

Over the mountains to the West is Kosovo's neighbour, Montenegro.

Montenegrin band No Name won for the second time this year

In theory, this tiny republic of some 672,000 people is linked in a loose federation with Serbia.

In last year's Eurovision contest, a boy band called No Name represented the joint state in Kiev.

Much to the irritation of Serbs though, No Name draped themselves in the flag of Montenegro, not Serbia and Montenegro.

The Serbs thought that the band were abusing the contest to score political points.

In the Balkans it was understood that sporting the Montenegrin flag meant supporting independence from Serbia.

There was no political motivation
Milica Belevic, Montenegrin judge
This year the contest to choose a band from Serbia and Montenegro took place in Belgrade on 11 March.

A few hours earlier the former Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic had been found dead in his cell at the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal in The Hague.

When No Name won for the second year, the Serbs in the audience went berserk. They began chucking bottles at No Name and screaming: "Thieves! Thieves!"

"There was no political motivation," said Milica Belevic, one of the Montenegrin judges.

It is a claim that is widely disbelieved in Serbia.

Independence vote

As far as the Serbs were concerned the Montenegrins were desperate to get their boys back on stage in Athens strutting their stuff and flying the flag for Montenegro.

A poster in Podgorica advertising the referendum on 21 May
Montenegro is gearing up for a referendum on 21 May
Why the desperation? Less than 12 hours after the Eurovision contest, the polls open in Montenegro for a very different form of competition.

On 21 May, Montenegrins are set to vote in a referendum on independence from Serbia.

The Belgrade battle of Eurovision means that this year Serbia and Montenegro has had to withdraw from the contest.

Next year, depending on what happens in the referendum, they might be competing as separate states.

"Yugoslavia was divided with guns," laughed Sabrija Vulic of Montenegrin Television, "and Serbia and Montenegro will be divided by songs!"

In neighbouring Bosnia they will not actually say they are happy that Serbia and Montenegro have been forced to drop out of the contest but they are not exactly shedding tears about it either.

It means that the pool of potential votes for Bosnia has risen by several million.

Shrewd choice

Bosnia has chosen Hari - and his band Hari Mata Hari - to sing for them in Athens this year.

Hari Mata Hari, the Bosnian choice
It's very important for morale, that at last we win here!
Hari Mata Hari, Bosnian entry

It is shrewd choice. Hari was well known before Yugoslavia descended into war in the 1990s and he is still popular across the region.

The Eurovision Song Contest website calls Hari "the nightingale of Sarajevo". He told me he was "the nightingale of the galaxy".

But behind the humour, there is a steely determination to win.

Hari says that ever since the end of the war in Bosnia more than 10 years ago, Bosnians have felt as though they were "losing".

So, he says, "it's very important for morale, that at last we win here!"

And Hari is leaving nothing to chance.

He has already started a gruelling promotional tour across the former Yugoslavia and in parts of the rest of Europe with a significant diaspora from the former Yugoslavia.

Bosnia and Serbia may be slugging it out these days at the International Court of Justice in The Hague, where Bosnia is pursuing its claim that Serbia tried to commit genocide in Bosnia, but none of that is going to stop former Yugoslavs voting for one another in Athens on 20 May.

"The state still exists, it seems," says head of Serbian TV Aleksandar Tijanic, referring to the Yugoslav ghost.

"You can't erase 70 years of a joint state despite all the wars."

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 23:03
Originally posted by mamikon

wait, where is Armenia?

If you have a hundred dollars to spare, put them on Armenia and you can win a good $10,000!!
Greece has rediculously high odds. Imagine if we had sent a song with bouzoukia and baglamades

http://int.bestbetting.com/specials/music/eurovision/winner? view=all

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 12:22

1 Spain Azcar Moreno - Bandido mp3 vid
2 Greece Christos Callow - Horis skopo mp3 vid
3 Belgium Philippe Lafontaine - Macdomienne mp3 vid
4 Turkey Kayahan - Gzlerinin hapsindeyim mp3 vid
5 Netherlands Maywood - Ik wil alles met je delen mp3 vid
6 Luxembourg Cline Carzo - Quand je te rve mp3 vid
7 United Kingdom Emma - Give A Little Love Back To The World mp3 vid
8 Iceland Stjrnin - Eitt lag enn mp3 vid
9 Norway Ketil Stokkan - Brandenburger tor mp3 vid
10 Israel Rita - Shara barkhovot mp3 vid
11 Denmark Lonnie Devantier - Hallo, Hallo mp3 vid
12 Switzerland Egon Egemann - Musik klingt in die Welt hinaus mp3 vid
13 Germany Chris Kempers & Daniel Kovac - Frei zu Leben mp3 vid
14 France Jolle Ursull - White & Black Blue mp3 vid
15 Yugoslavia Tajci - Hajde da ludujemo mp3 vid
16 Portugal Nucha - H sempre algum mp3 vid
17 Ireland Liam Reilly - Somewhere In Europe mp3 vid
18 Sweden Edin-dahl - Som en vind mp3 vid
19 Italy Toto Cutugno - Insieme 1992 mp3 vid
20 Austria Simone - Keine Mauern mehr mp3 vid
21 Cyprus Haris Anastasiou - Milas poli mp3 vid
22 Finland Beat - Fri? mp3 vid
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:09

Elena Risteska
 M2

FYR Macedonia 2006

Elena Risteska speaks Albanian to get support

The representative of FYR of Macedonia at this year's Eurovision Song Contest in Athens, Elena Risteska, spoke several sentences in the Albanian language during an interview with Alsat M, in an attempt to get the support of the Albanian community living in the country.

"In Athens, I am going to sing for the entire country. I am looking forward for the support of the citizens of this country, and also from the Albanian audience", Risteska said in Albanian.

She also spoke about her concerts in Albania, as she has visited the town of Saranda and the capital, Tirana and the relations with the Albanian singers in FYR Macedonia. Elena also said that she would sing in English, but the last chorus, is going to be sung in the Macedonian language.

In the past, the relations among the Macedonian and Albanian communities in the country have been tensed. But nowadays, reconciliation process continues and the Albanian community got more rights. Elenas message in Albanian language is a sign that art doesnt recognize divisions, and can go further than politics.

Elena Risteska will represent her country in Athens with the song Ninanajna, composed by Darko Dimitrov with lyrics of Rade Vrcakovski.

Article kindly provided by Ardi Pulaj

I was so proud when the Macedonians as a whole voted to maintain the special cultural and religious rights afforded to Macedonian Albanians. They were a lesson to the rest of the Balkans and they finally said: Enough! You can give this proposal back to the idiots it came from and go to...

Now this - very brave, Elena, very brave. Doing something like this is like letting go of one person's hand to grab someone else's. You don't know if you'll ever get either hand back. Great courage, great compassion - bravo!

YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 11:27

Here is the music video for Croatias entry, Moja Stikla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3wMLZlICR4&search=euroso ng%20croatia

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 18:40
This little nerd has really grown on me lately.

http://www.keithm.utvinternet.ie/videos/Romania06preview.wmv
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 18:42
Romania has sent a few great singers. Last year, this Gypsy woman... just about took my breath away. I loved her so much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiV5QtEy4FA
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 04:15
"Gypsy woman"??????
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 09:57
Isn't she? I always thought she was Roma.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 14:34
http://rapidshare.de/files/19453892/Fabrizio__Severina_and_A nna_Vissi_in_Serajevo2.wmv.html

Fuad Backovic singing Bosnia's entry for last year and Severina singing Croatia's entry this year with guests Anna Vissi (Greece) and Fabrizio (Malta) watching on at the reception for Eurovision contestants in Sarajevo.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 22:20
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 23:08
Coverage of Iceland's entry... I LOVE her...

Would she or wouldn't she?
The sound checks kicked off as the audience waited to know wether Silvia was all mouth or if she would go through with her risqu lyics. As the song came on Silvia launched into her performance with great gusto and sang loudly and clearly "The vote is in, I f**king win!" with a middle finger up, to a cheer from the half of the spectators and shocked faces from the other half. As Silvia launched herself down the stiletto slide, she hit the bottom rather too quickly, which caused a brief cut in the vocals.

From bad girl to worse girl
As a second run through comenced Silvia's problems did not stop there. Her mic box came loose and fell clattering to the floor, silencing her vocal. The track was stopped and a technician rushed over to help her, to which she replied "F**king amateurs! I have to do everything my f**king self!" before grabbing the box back and fixing it back on. She promptly marched back to the stiletto shoe and commanded "Play!" to the floor manager. He in turn demanded of her "Play please", to which she, with little to lose by now, replied "F**k off!". He capitulated, and the track was restarted, and she made it through the first full run-through.

The split audience granted Silvia a mixture of applause and booing following this. Feisty as ever, Silvia turned on them next, calling them "f**king retards", to gasps and unbelieving laughter. She seemed to settle down for the next couple of run-throughs, which may have had something to do with being threatened by a 'chat' from the floor manager.

After being taped twice, her rehearsal was over, and she left proclaiming "They love me! I was so good. I was perfect!"

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 13:10
Hari Mata Hari, second rehearsal for Lejla:

And a review from "All Kinds of Everything":

"This was amazing, shivers down your spine kind of stuff. The routine such as it is remains the same. Hari walks forward, the "slepping" backing musicians slowly come to life and play their instruments and the all walk slowly towards the front of the stage at the end. Hari is in a beautiful white suit with a long jacket and while I didn't get to see him close up on camera he did look better than Friday. This clashed with Carola's Press Conference, but still drew a huge crowd of people who really appreciated it. This is sailing into the final, and is in a three way race with Sweden and Russia to win the semi. My only worry is that it may take votes from Ireland."

Woohoo! SRETNO LEJLA!
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 14:43

Germany's contribution - texas lightning

0 points from austria....... 12 from iceland !!!!!!!

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 14:54
Originally posted by Mila

Coverage of Iceland's entry... I LOVE her...

Would she or wouldn't she?
The sound checks kicked off as the audience waited to know wether Silvia was all mouth or if she would go through with her risqu lyics. As the song came on Silvia launched into her performance with great gusto and sang loudly and clearly "The vote is in, I f**king win!" with a middle finger up, to a cheer from the half of the spectators and shocked faces from the other half. As Silvia launched herself down the stiletto slide, she hit the bottom rather too quickly, which caused a brief cut in the vocals.

From bad girl to worse girl
As a second run through comenced Silvia's problems did not stop there. Her mic box came loose and fell clattering to the floor, silencing her vocal. The track was stopped and a technician rushed over to help her, to which she replied "F**king amateurs! I have to do everything my f**king self!" before grabbing the box back and fixing it back on. She promptly marched back to the stiletto shoe and commanded "Play!" to the floor manager. He in turn demanded of her "Play please", to which she, with little to lose by now, replied "F**k off!". He capitulated, and the track was restarted, and she made it through the first full run-through.

The split audience granted Silvia a mixture of applause and booing following this. Feisty as ever, Silvia turned on them next, calling them "f**king retards", to gasps and unbelieving laughter. She seemed to settle down for the next couple of run-throughs, which may have had something to do with being threatened by a 'chat' from the floor manager.

After being taped twice, her rehearsal was over, and she left proclaiming "They love me! I was so good. I was perfect!"

see  http://www.silvianott.com/

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 05:04
the worst music video ever?

and some kids made their own version:

BTW it's a Finish song ...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2006 at 10:22
Bosnia's own Tinka Milinovic, part of the band representing Switzerland, first rehearsal:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>