Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your quote of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your quote of the day
    Posted: 21-Mar-2012 at 23:04
"...Thought and beauty, like a hurricane or waves, should not know conventional, delimited forms...."
Chekhov
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 03:51
"If you really think about it, everything is wonderful in this world, everything except for our thoughts and deeds when we forget about the loftier goals of existence, about our human dignity."
Chekhov
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 19:57
"It is a test (a positive test, I do not assert that it is always valid negatively), that genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood."
T.S.Eliot
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2012 at 11:46
"A wound in the soul, coming from the rending of the spiritual body, strange as it may seem, gradually closes like a physical wound. And once a deep wound heals over and the edges seem to have knit, a wound in the soul, like a physical wound, can be healed only by the force of life pushing up from inside."
Leo Tolstoy
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2012 at 12:30
Reading good poetry is a man's later attempts to reconcile his former mistakes.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2012 at 15:07
This is a good one, a thought provoking quote, I probably will munch on it for the rest of the day. Considering that I'm such an avid poetry reader, one can only surmise the amount of mistakes in my life I try to reconcileDead.
Thank you, CV.Smile

Edited by Don Quixote - 23-Mar-2012 at 15:08
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 02:54
Be yourself - because everyone else is already taken.
/I have no idea who said that, I saw in a classroom/.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 06:55

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don't trust enough - Dr Frank Crane
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 07:50
Trust is earned. And not to be given lightly as it can be as self-destructive as rewarding.
Consequently..trust no one till ya trust yourself.

S. T. Friedman

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 08:01
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Trust is earned. And not to be given lightly as it can be as self-destructive as rewarding.
Consequently..trust no one till ya trust yourself.
My trouble, CV, has tended to come when I have put my trust in someone. There's nothing like a wake-up call of someone throwing it right back into your face. I guess we live and learn.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 08:05
Then remember your Churchill.....

"Of this I am quite sure, that if we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find we have lost the future."

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 24-Mar-2012 at 08:06

S. T. Friedman

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 08:24
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Then remember your Churchill.....

"Of this I am quite sure, that if we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find we have lost the future."
This is a very good quote, CV, and one for which I already try to maintain. Unfortunately quotes containing we are more than one sided and add just that little bit of unpredictability. Such is life.Smile 
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 11:04
A brave person stabs you in the front, so you can correct yourself; a coward stabs you in the back, so you don't even know it.
My paraphasing of Oscar Wilde, in which I tried to put the gist of those two hos quotes:
"“A true friend stabs you in the front."

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves
By each let this be heard
Some do it with a bitter look
Some with a flattering word
The coward does it with a kiss
The brave man with a sword".

Edited by Don Quixote - 24-Mar-2012 at 11:18
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 11:36

Purity of speech, of the mind, of the senses, and of a compassionate heart are needed by one who desires to rise to the divine platform. - Chanakya

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 12:00
I've just been looking at some more entertaining and funny quote, and found this one. Unfortunately I have no idea of its origin. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.-Unknown by me
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 12:37
'If you lost money, you lost something; if you lost a friend, you lost much; if you lost your honor, you lost everything".
Bulgarian proverb

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 14:30

“You forget all of it anyway. First, you forget everything you learned-the dates of the Hay-Herran Treaty and Pythagorean Theorem. You especially forget everything you didn't really learn, but just memorized the night before. You forget the names of all but one or two of your teachers, and eventually you'll forget those, too. You forget your junior class schedule and where you used to sit and your best friend's home phone number and the lyrics to that song you must have played a million times. For me, it was something by Simon & Garfunkel. Who knows what it will be for you? And eventually, but slowly, oh so slowly, you forget your humiliations-even the ones that seemed indelible just fade away. You forget who was cool and who was not, who was pretty, smart, athletic, and not. Who went to a good college. Who threw the best parties Who could get you pot. You forget all of them. Even the ones you said you loved, and even the ones you actually did. They're the last to go. And then once you've forgotten enough, you love someone else.”
― Gabrielle ZevinMemoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2012 at 23:45

There is a way to look at the past. Don't hide from it. It will not catch you -- if you don't repeat it.

Pearl Bailey

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 23:44
A man usually values that most for which he has labored; he uses that most frugally which he has toiled hour by hour and day by day to acquire.
Dorothea Dix
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 23:50
No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
Mary Wolstonecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>